• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei 1 coming to iOS in English ($7.99, March 18th)

According to the update notes BGM and sound effect quality were improved after release.
h7qlueq.png

Man, body devil merge crashes are the worst.

Excited for this!

Soulhouf

Don't get me wrong, you have every right to feel that way. I'm a bit frustrated by fan reactions to mobile games. "There are only casual games on mobile!" Then a hardcore game comes out. "I refuse to support hardcore games on mobile!"

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not scathing at it.
I have several Apple devices but iOS isn't my way to go when I want to play games. There are machines specifically made for that.
Shin Megami Tensei is one of my favorite RPGs so I'm happy for people who will be able to enjoy it but I wish we got a better treatment.

How difficult would it be to put that translation in the PS1/GBA version and release it on PSN/eShop?

matmanx1

I have an iPad 4th gen that I bought for work this past Christmas. Looks like it might get a little game time soon. I can't see this release as anything but positive. While it would certainly be nice to have this game on PSN or eshop I'm not going to look this particular gift horse in the mouth. SMT I officially released in English is kind of a big deal.

jony_m

sooooo now that you have a localized script, you are gonna edit the PS1 ROM and release on PSN for Vita/PS3, right Atlus? right? hello? anybody?

Sophia

Shucks this is for iOS, seeing as I don't own such a device but....

HOLY CRAP SMT1 IN ENGLISH WAHT THE HELL OH MY GOD O_O

I've recently gotten into SMT, I'm playing Nocturne right at this moment. So this is cool news as long as it comes to Europe.

Playing a 'real' game on my phone doesn't sound appealing, but I'l give it a try.

Eusis

Wonder how well this works on iPhone 4?

Still, this is an iOS release I can actually give a crap about, so I probably will check it out if it works fine on those.

chrizzz09

Man i want Persona 3 and 4 for iOS... Want to play them so bad...

Please they should port the Vita version of P4: Golden

I mean, c'mon Altus please take my money!! :D

Aeana

Wonder how well this works on iPhone 4?

Still, this is an iOS release I can actually give a crap about, so I probably will check it out if it works fine on those.
I played through it on an iPad 2. I don't know how the iPhone 4 compares, but it seems like it should be fine.

Thoraxes

Very happy this is coming over finally! I'll pick it up on my iPad for sure!

How thought-provoking.
You kinda just get used to ignoring their same shtick in every SMT thread. They always have to post in almost every SMT thread to let you know how bad they think it is every time.

Punishing first-person dungeon crawler that has never been seen in English before. You have my attention, Atlus.

Ah, who am I kidding? The EU won't ever get it.

Jisgsaw

Punishing first-person dungeon crawler that has never been seen in English before. You have my attention, Atlus.

Wait, are there actually the same publishing issues on mobile?
(Not that I own any iOS platform, but I'd be interested in a potential Android port)

randomkid

The only thing that's punishing about the game is the encounter rate (unless that's fixed in the GBA version?). The game is basically a cakewalk.

Everyone try to get a demon with Estoma as soon as you can to avoid any frustration!

213372bu

Banned
Cool, now just find a way to make a comfortable full-scale HD remastering of SMT Nocturne with voice acting a thing on iOS. This is Atlus we're talking about here, they have to be able to make this possible, right?!?

:(

PS: Don't forget Dante.

Voliko

The only thing that's punishing about the game is the encounter rate (unless that's fixed in the GBA version?). The game is basically a cakewalk.

Everyone try to get a demon with Estoma as soon as you can to avoid any frustration!
Yeah, the game is definitely not hard. If punishing is what people are looking for I wouldn't recommend it. I think SMT 1 is better suited as a game for fans to see the roots of the series rather than it being a competent game in itself.

randomkid

Yeah, the game is definitely not hard. If punishing is what people are looking for I wouldn't recommend it. I think SMT 1 is better suited as a game for fans to see the roots of the series rather than it being a competent game in itself.

Well I'm just trying to help people avoid frustration since I know random encounters are a big killjoy for some people. I played it for the first time over a year ago and really fell in love with it, you can actually see my posts in that playthrough thread Aeana linked to earlier. I think there are some really wonderful design decisions and dungeon layouts and that the game is really thoughtfully conceived and nudges you towards the right demon and weapon choices often which is good game design I guess. It's definitely easy, but that was basically my fault for exploiting so thoroughly haha.

But yeah, the biggest appeal was some really tailored-for-me aesthetic and thematic elements. That cathedral, man. So good.

Aeana

But it's a very competent game, it just doesn't have the kinds of things people associate with the franchise now. I personally think the first two SMT games are classics.

chrono01

It seems as though I upgraded my 3GS to a 5S at a good time. I'll definitely be purchasing this one.

SMT1...in English? Yes please!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This is actually pretty awesome. I'll give it a go on my iPad. The GBA version is only available in Japanese, right?

cjkeats

Very excited. I was so thrilled when I heard it was released on iOS a few years ago. I was rushing around campus trying to find wifi and when I did I was heartbroken it was Japanese only.
I've been crossing my fingers for this to get translated ever since, but figured it was hopeless. Luckily I was wrong. Day one.

Hopefully ...if follows someday, that's the one I want to play the most.

epmode

Hi Nich, could you pass on to your ATLUS/SEGA overlords that PC gamers would probably buy this game in droves (like they did with the recently released Might & Magic X) if it'd be released on Steam?

I'd rebuy practically every Atlus game I own if it got a PC release, not jokes. I'm really glad that Sega now has a say in this.

Baust

This is really great. I had a feeling we'd be seeing SMT1 in English sometime soon.

...And I'm not even all that bothered by it being on iOS.

t26

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not scathing at it.
I have several Apple devices but iOS isn't my way to go when I want to play games. There are machines specifically made for that.
Shin Megami Tensei is one of my favorite RPGs so I'm happy for people who will be able to enjoy it but I wish we got a better treatment.

How difficult would it be to put that translation in the PS1/GBA version and release it on PSN/eShop?
Ps1 is next to impossible as there is no one to so q and a

Clov

I'd get this if I had an iPhone, but alas, I'm using an Android. I'd be REALLY excited if Atlus took the first two SMT games, and packaged them together on 3DS or Vita (whether physical, or eShop), so maybe I'll wait this out a bit.

brinstar

Hellllllll yessssss! just yesterday I was pining for some way to play a localized SMT1. Hope this leads to a SMT2 release.

Voliko

But it's a very competent game, it just doesn't have the kinds of things people associate with the franchise now. I personally think the first two SMT games are classics.
I don't think SMT1 is awful by any means, but many of the layouts had me scratching my head as to why so many of them had to end up being rectangles or squares. Trudging through some of the layouts felt more like a predictable affair when I would rather be wondering what unknown twists would be coming into view next. Maybe it's just because I just had to uncover every square of the map though... The encounter rate is rather high and you can just auto-battle through a ton of the battles (Granted, that is something it has in common with many oldschool JRPGs). I'm not sure if I would consider it a classic. Certainly has a cool setting and story, but if anything is a classic I would probably say the famicom games for establishing the formula.

Well I'm just trying to help people avoid frustration since I know random encounters are a big killjoy for some people. I played it for the first time over a year ago and really fell in love with it, you can actually see my posts in that playthrough thread Aeana linked to earlier. I think there are some really wonderful design decisions and dungeon layouts and that the game is really thoughtfully conceived and nudges you towards the right demon and weapon choices often which is good game design I guess. It's definitely easy, but that was basically my fault for exploiting so thoroughly haha.

But yeah, the biggest appeal was some really tailored-for-me aesthetic and thematic elements. That cathedral, man. So good.
I agree that the thematic elements and aesthetic are the game's biggest strength. That's what I love about it. I can't say I remember the game nudging you in the right direction when it came to weapons and demons, but it has been a while. I love that kind of stuff so I may have to give it a replay sometime. Maybe pay attention more instead of brute forcing? haha.

cj_iwakura

Amazing news. Is the translation brand new, or based off of AG's?

Also: what's the cheapest entry point for an iOS device?

jwhit28

Seems like the perfect type of traditional game to put on mobile. I much prefer ports like this to what Square-Enix does to Final Fantasy or the new iterations in long running RPG series built around energy and IAP's.

Soulhouf

Now that Atlus is part of Sega, imagine that M2 makes a HD version for PSN/eShop à la Monster World collection.
How awesome would that be?

Ultratech

SMTI in English? In the App Store?

Huh. Wouldn't had thought that.

Still, that's pretty cool. May have to try it out...(if they port it to Android).

Majestad

Banned
Oh fuck! I just remembered about the iOS in-app bullshit. I hope this game doesn't have any of that.

Imagine being able to summon Beelzebub for $6.66

Top Bottom