• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: SF Sold Over 2.1 Million Units WW

bombshell

Kill thread if old.

I know bundle sales and all that, but this should be first next-gen game to crack 2M.

News out of the PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd thread:

PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 13.7 million*2 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of March 2, 2014 (JST). Over 30 exciting titles*3 are available from SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and the industry's best software developers and publishers, including the independent development community. This incredible line-up reflects the strong support for PS4 among developers and publishers, and has led the platform's accelerated momentum and expansion. A few of the top selling titles included KILLZONE SHADOW FALL (SCE WWS), which has already sold over 2.1 million units worldwide, KNACK (SCE WWS), Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision), FIFA14 (Electronic Arts), Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts), and Assassin's Creed: IV Black Flag (Ubisoft Entertainment).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-ps4-sales-surpass-60-million-units-worldwide-in-less-than-4-months-since-launch-rapidly-popularizes-a-new-way-to-enjoy-social-interaction-through-gaming-248315741.html

In other news, remember KZ: SF MP is free to try for everyone. Open Week should be running already and until next Tuesday. KZ: SF Free MP Access Week + New Maps

Chobel

Not exactly old news, the last number was units shipped to retailers. The new number is sold through to consumers I assume.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Awesome.

HD its flaws but Killzone is a fantastic IP and SF had some greatness in it. Can't wait for a sequel that has a good while in the oven.

fedexpeon

Banned
I'm still baffled by the sales number and last time I went online less than a 1000 people were playing in Feb.

Seriously.
I don't know how they calculate the population because I keep seeing 7-900 people as well during the afternoon.

Maybe people buy it for the SP campaign because FPS is known for their great storytelling, especially the KZ series...Am I right guys? Guys?

mcw

I guess that's still a financial disaster for the amount of work behind the title?

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Stakes are high on any next-gen game, and compared to the sorts of (larger) sales figures that sent other studios into bankruptcy last gen, 2.1 million is likely a disappointment for Sony.

I wish this were not the case.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Stakes are high on any next-gen game, and compared to the sorts of (larger) sales figures that sent other studios into bankruptcy last gen, 2.1 million is likely a disappointment for Sony.

i hope you guys are not serious. its most likely the highest selling next gen exclusive so far. the series sells around 2-3 million with each instalment.

Zornack

Not all sale numbers are equal.

This wasn't some bloated project which took 6 years to complete. 2.1 million over 3 and a half months for an exclusive launch title is plenty.

fedexpeon

Banned

Only if you are a multi-plaform devs.
2M is great for PS4 only. 1/3 of the PS4 userbase has this game currently.
And it isn't even 4months in.
I don't think Sony even forecast that much sales within that timeframe for KZSF.

rCIZZLE

Surprised the number is that high given how few people seem to be online at the same time from December onwards.

-Winnie-

Pretty good sales! The game itself was a bit mediocre outside of the visual spectacle, but I hope this game's success bodes well for Guerilla's new IP. Very excited to see what they come up with.

The game has been out 4 months. It will continue to sell as more people buy a PS4.

If anything, it will probably have more legs than any KZ title before it.

I could see it doing 3 million. And as a launch title, console exclusive, I'm sure they are thrilled with that number. As they should be.

Not surprising given the choice of PS exclusives was this or Knack. A real shame mediocrity has been rewarded though, especially as the series had so much potential.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Seriously.
I don't know how they calculate the population because I keep seeing 7-900 people as well during the afternoon.

Maybe people buy it for the SP campaign because FPS is known for their great storytelling, especially the KZ series...Am I right guys? Guys?

That's what i would be buying it for. Not to play with racist teenagers.

Vasili2K38

I guess that's still a financial disaster for the amount of work behind the title?

I have no words.. you people realize the install base of PS4 is 6 millions right? Attach ratio and that kind of things? Is the best seller seller of this new gen, and those are indeed great numbers. We aren't talking about a multiplatform game which sells in a install base of more than 100 million of consoles, for example.

Ellite25

i hope you guys are not serious. its most likely the highest selling next gen exclusive so far. the series sells around 2-3 million with each instalment.

And keep in mind only 6 million consoles have been sold. That means 1 out of every 3 people with a PS4 bought SF. That's damn impressive really.

No publisher assumes an exclusive launch title will break 1 million sales. They fund their games thinking that.

So, no, you're totally off the mark.

Whether KZ deserved it or not is a better question. It was pretty but the SP campaign sucked and while I think the MP is alright, clearly most of the 2 million don't.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
No publisher assumes an exclusive launch title will break 1 million sales. They fund their games thinking that.
So, no, you're totally off the mark.
Whether KZ deserved it or not is a better question. It was pretty but the SP campaign sucked and while I think the MP is alright, clearly most of the 2 million don't.
Some people are saying this gens Resistance, but I'm thinking Motorstorm. I'd wager lots of people are buying KZ : SF because they want that exclusive game, and it ain't Knack. Also, it looks damn good. Like Motorstorm did. Maybe I should play it again one of these days...

Sid

Some people are saying this gens Resistance, but I'm thinking Motorstorm. I'd wager lots of people are buying KZ : SF because they want that exclusive game, and it ain't Knack. Also, it looks damn good. Like Motorstorm did. Maybe I should play it again one of these days...
R:FoM still has a campaign leagues beyond SF,I guess we'll get more Killzone now....

braderz

Neo Member
I wonder how many people have still got a copy of Killzone. When I took mine back to game the guy tried persuading me to keep it.

R:FoM still has a campaign leagues beyond SF,I guess we'll get more Killzone now....

I highly doubt Sony/GG are blind to the mediocre critical response and even poorer multiplayer numbers for the game.

I do believe there will be more Killzone, but i think it's going to end up in Cambridge's hands to basically be a Killzone factory until Sony /GG has another title worth farming.

Jack cw

DerZuhälter;103099334 said:
This gen's Resistance 1. Watch the sales for the next Killzone be considerably lower.

Resistence had a great campagin though. And I doubt we'll see a Killzone ver soon. Great numbers and attach rate for this title.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I meant that KZ : SF is more akin to Motorstorm. A bit shallow, pretty fun, extremely gorgeous. Then again, I'm also the person who thinks Resistance 2 had the best single player. I blame it these absolutely amazing radio dramas.
I highly doubt Sony/GG are blind to the mediocre critical response and even poorer multiplayer numbers for the game.

I do believe there will be more Killzone, but i think it's going to end up in Cambridge's hands to basically be a Killzone factory until Sony /GG has another title worth farming.
If I recall it's rumored that Guerrilla has 2 teams now. You don't make 4 Killzone games without having a core group of people that are really into it. We'll get more Killzone, but we'll also see that new IP Guerrilla is cooking up.

Cambridge I hope is doing their own thing.

Don't be so unoptomistic.

GYNGA

I don't think Sony expected financial success from any of the launch titles. 2.1 million for a mediocre launch title was more than enough to satisfy Sony, I believe. Also if we take that Sony gets ~$30 from every game sold then it's still over $60 million which is enough to cover the cost of an AAA title.

I really think Resistance was ok at best, not bad by any means, but coming from PC Gaming into console shooter territory last gen I felt highly underwhelmed by it. Haven't played KZ:SF though.

Great numbers for both no doubt, but I hope people don't draw wrong conclusions from these numbers. They stem from the lack of software, not the quality of the product. In both cases considering the reviews and opinions on Killzone.

Frillen

This is really strange considering the multiplayer is a wasteland. Do people just buy it for the graphics and as a next gen showcase? I thought the single player was average at best, but the multiplayer is actually really good.

famousmortimer said:

I actually doubt many of them even tried the MP. They bought the game as next gen showcase and rushed through the single player. Then most probably bought either CoD Ghosts or BF4 to play MP.

Liamario

Banned
Doesn't deserve the numbers to no honest. Multiplayer is quite good, but the single player is hot garbage.

ryanofcall

I have no words.. you people realize the install base of PS4 is 6 millions right? Attach ratio and that kind of things? Is the best seller seller of this new gen, and those are indeed great numbers. We aren't talking about a multiplatform game which sells in a install base of more than 100 million of consoles, for example.

Yeah of course but we can assume the development costs of graphic blockbusters are higher than last-gen AAA.
Just trying to be realistic here :/
Sure 2.1m for a launch title is great, but it doesn't really say anything. I mean what else should people buy? There aren't many interesting next-gen titles yet imo and it's still lost money.

What I'd like to know: How many copies would a next-gen title need to actually sell to be a success? Didn't Tomb Raider (2013) sell like 4m (before the Definitive Edition) and still wasn't financally successful for SquareEnix? I thought there was something like that on GAF
Such numbers are just.... worrying imo.

EGOMON

The WW numbers and the online players doesn't make sense at all, maybe some bug or error in representing the actual numbers in the game i mean out of 2M only 5000 are playing at best!

Betty

Banned
The WW numbers and the online players doesn't make sense at all, maybe some bug or error in representing the actual numbers in the game i mean out of 2M only 5000 is playing at best!

The multiplayer isn't bad, it's just bland as hell. Like the poster above says, if you have BF4 or COD there's no incentive to play it really. It's just dull. Honestly, I think Killzone should go the same way as Resistance at this point.

Top Bottom