• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song gameplay video. (GAFer-made Metroidvania)

ezekial45

Banned
I love the atmosphere. Plus, the character interactions are strange , but still really formal. It's 'Soulsian' or 'Souls-esque'.

I really like what I've seen so far, please keep up the good work.

Fireblend

Banned
Oh man, I can't wait to play it. Proud backer
3AQmK.gif

Ridley327

Got the email for the link to this today. I'm fine with the Dark Souls comparisons if only just for the NPCs having British accents and saying vaguely menacing things to the main character.

The soundscape is shaping up to be excellent, no question about that at all.

first NPC seems a little too obviously inspired by the 'Souls' games. i really like the recharging ammo aspect. looks promising.

Looks amazing, Jobbs. Would only suggest you work a bit on the screen transitions. That was the only flaw I could point out in this short preview. :)

Holy shit, that looks amazing. The atmosphere is incredible. Looks like Super Metroid x Dark Souls. Maybe in a few years we'll be having Kickstarter games saying they were inspired by Ghost Song!

My God, I hope he's able to bring this to Vita, otherwise I'll have to look at getting a Wii U in a firesale.

nynt9

I really really hope this comes to PS4 one day. Hopefully it's a success and Jobbs can justify porting it.

It's made in the Stencyl game builder suite which doesn't let them compile to anything but PCs and smartphones (afaik), so I wouldn't hold out for it unless it's a huge success so that they can afford a complete rewrite.

On the Kickstarter it was originally pitched as a Unity game so I don't know what happened.

Regardless, game looks great.

Ridley327

It's made in the Stencyl game builder suite which doesn't let them compile to anything but PCs and smartphones, so I wouldn't hold out for it unless it's a huge success so that they can afford a complete rewrite.

He is still interested in doing a console port, but yeah, I would agree that won't be in the cards unless the game does well in its initial release or one of the console manufacturers intervene.

EDIT: I didn't see your edit at the time, but he does explain why he moved back to Stencyl:

Also not discussed in updates was the engine switch. I know I talked a lot about Unity during the Kickstarter period, and, indeed, an early Unity build of the game exists. The problem was it was just far too hard to be hands on. As someone trying to design a game down to exacting details, with a very specific vision, I longed for the freedom I enjoyed back in the early days with Stencyl. To those of you who aren't acquainted with me, I'm primarily an artist and designer. I just lack the knowledge, experience, or even the disposition to program a game on my own without the assistance of a scripting tool.

Some months ago Stencyl made an internal library change, from NME, to Open FL. As a subscriber, I have access to beta and nightly builds, so at some point I decided to try some experiments in the new Stencyl engine to see what was possible. I also reached out to Jon, creator of Stencyl, who has been very helpful.

Suffice it to say, after much testing and discussion internally, I decided to move the game back to Stencyl as a Windows/Mac/Linux release. The game looks and plays well, and my increased control and freedom compared to designing second-hand has improved productivity greatly. This wasn't a decision made quickly or rashly, it was made in the best interest of the game and my own sanity.

It's made in the Stencyl game builder suite which doesn't let them compile to anything but PCs and smartphones (afaik), so I wouldn't hold out for it unless it's a huge success so that they can afford a complete rewrite.

On the Kickstarter it was originally pitched as a Unity game so I don't know what happened.

But wasn't bringing it to Wii U part of the original spec?

EDIT - no, it didn't quite hit that stretch goal. However, I'm sure in one of the updates Jobbs confirmed it would be coming to Wii U. Nonetheless, just get the game done first and worry about that kind of thing afterwards!

MercuryLS

Banned

If Sony likes the game enough they might throw dollars/porting team to bring it to PS4, I'm pretty sure that's what they did for Hotline Miami.

soultron

Banned
Looking fantastic. Great atmosphere so far. Really liking the look and feel of the combat, from what I can see in the videos.

Also, sound is such a crucial thing to me, personally. I feel the sound effects chosen are really unique-sounding and sharp. They'll help lend to/strengthen the game's identity, that's for sure.

nynt9

If Sony likes the game enough they might throw dollars/porting team to bring it to PS4, I'm pretty sure that's what they did for Hotline Miami.

True, but that was because HM was a huge sensation, which is why I said " I wouldn't hold out for it unless it's a huge success so that they can afford a complete rewrite."

I mean, fingers crossed, but who knows. I'd love to have WiiU and Vita versions.

MercuryLS

Banned
True, but that was because HM was a huge sensation, which is why I said " I wouldn't hold out for it unless it's a huge success so that they can afford a complete rewrite."

I mean, fingers crossed, but who knows. I'd love to have WiiU and Vita versions.

Yeah, it would probably have to be a major indie hit to get the attention of Sony.

He is still interested in doing a console port, but yeah, I would agree that won't be in the cards unless the game does well in its initial release or one of the console manufacturers intervene.

EDIT: I didn't see your edit at the time, but he does explain why he moved back to Stencyl:

That was when the game was still being made in Unity, and it was a stretch goal. See Ridley's quote from the devs above.

I've just tweeted Adam Boyes and Shu Yoshida. Let's make this happen:

@amboyes @yosp New video of Metroidvania Ghost Song: http://youtu.be/Nr7EKA3owvg Please try and get this game on Vita/PS4. It looks incredible

Yeah, it would probably have to be a major indie hit to get the attention of Sony.

Not necessarily. Off the top of my head; OlliOlli and Velocity were not huge games, but Sony supported the devs and got them both onto Vita.

RawNuts

Friend linked me to this earlier, I like it; can easily see where the Dark Souls influence is going.

Ghost Song: Prepare to Dash

Slixshot

Banned
HOT DAMN, Jobbs! So well done. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Voice acting is top notch for an indie. Gameplay looks like a blast. Love your chosen art style.

Only question left is, PS4?

This game screams Vita to me. Just imagine that on dat Oled! Regardless, really glad I backed this trough paypal. I hope it does well!

Jesus... 2.03 gave me some Dark Souls vibes.

This seems really really interesting.

One question... the scene with the robot. Is there a dish in the game or do you have to kill the robot?

Top Bottom