• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song gameplay video. (GAFer-made Metroidvania)

desertdroog

Yes! Backing this was a good decision. I love the environment, ambient sounds and the lost explorer vibe on this planet. That dash mechanic is a great idea, and adds more to the 2D scroll gameplay in a way that I enjoyed Team Ninja's twitch control on Other M. I am glad someone is making a 2D game that is this beautiful with so much going on around the play lane.

Just because we are in a 3D generation doesn't mean that 2D cannot have the depth and field of views limited on a 2D plane.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Looking great, Jobbs.
It's hard to showcase the level design for a game in this genre with a simple video, but it does seem intricate and interesting. After the video I feel I want to explore those locations.

One question... the scene with the robot. Is there a dish in the game or do you have to kill the robot?
I really hope there is one.

Jobbs

Banned
I just noticed this thread. You care after all. :D Thank you all for your inspiring comments. Scene transitions is something I'm thinking about. Also some have pointed out a couple audio blips, and the reverb cutting off on Adam's lines, I'm well aware of those and they'll be fixed. :D Some of the sounds are more "temp" than others, including the footstep sound which needs some tuning.

Jesus... 2.03 gave me some Dark Souls vibes.

This seems really really interesting.

One question... the scene with the robot. Is there a dish in the game or do you have to kill the robot?

short answer:

It is possible to give him what he wants and go by without fighting him.

long answer:

Once upon a time, Adam was owned by a scientist on a research expedition, studing the Roslock bugs. He was asked to stand watch while the group dealt with a captured live specimen. It went wrong, and no one came back for him, and so he stayed.

Over time, he started going mad, and damage to his head while guarding the passage increased his dementia. The dish he wants is Roslock DNA. If it's on you, he'll let you go by.

Information like this is available in game by studying lore items or talking to characters. It's all around the periphery. Ambient lore.

Original Adam sketch:

adam2.png

K' Dash

I just noticed this thread. You care after all. :D Thank you all for your inspiring comments. Scene transitions is something I'm thinking about. Also some have pointed out a couple audio blips, and the reverb cutting off on Adam's lines, I'm well aware of those and they'll be fixed. :D Some of the sounds are more "temp" than others, including the footstep sound which needs some tuning.

short answer:

long answer:

Once upon a time, Adam was owned by a scientist on a research expedition, studing the Roslock bugs. He was asked to stand watch while the group dealt with a captured live specimen. It went wrong, and no one came back for him, and so he stayed.

Over time, he started going mad, and damage to his head while guarding the passage increased his dementia. The dish he wants is Roslock DNA. If it's on you, he'll let you go by.

Information like this is available in game by studying lore items or talking to characters. It's all around the periphery. Ambient lore.

Original Adam sketch:

ooohh man, you guys are talented, I loved that video, I'm so glad this is being made.

Is there a posibility for a Vita/PS4 version?, not port begging, just asking

short answer:

long answer:

Original Adam sketch:
I really can't wait to explore the lore in this game.

This looks even better now since the kickstarter. Fantastic stuff...

Will definitely consider getting this when time and money become much simpler.

UrbanRats

This looks amazing, i'm very happy to have backed the Kickstarter.

The only thing i missed in the video was an healthbar for enemies, but of course not having it is a perfectly fine design choice, too.

Just a preference of mine.

-
Atmosphere, sound, visuals, voice acting and gameplay all look top notch.
The story/lore also seem very interesting, can't wait to explore around.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Day fucking one, the atmosphere is intense as fuck. Isolated as fuck despite there being NPCs. I can't use the word fuck enough to describe how excited I am.

Broritos

Gameplay looks great. I don't really like the NPC's being so chatty. I feel the same way about the NPC's in Dark Souls too. I'll probably end up shooting them all or just running past them.

Kyuur

Atmosphere is amazing and combat looks really fine tuned. The small look we had at NPCs was also great, they are very well created. Looking phenomenal.

My only critiques are the room transitions. They feel kind of awkward to me, possibly because I'm only watching and not playing. Also I think some ambience is resetting when you move to a new room or something?

short answer:

long answer:

Original Adam sketch:

Please do alot of those Situations.

Gets a yes for greenlight from me.

JDSN

Banned
Oh, I had no idea Jobbs reached the WiiU goal, cool on him but I hope it doesnt overwhelm him, also, he needs to stop apologizing everytime theres an update.

short answer:

long answer:

Original Adam sketch:
That's sad. Reminds me of the female android wandering the desert in Phantasy Star III.

I tried to vote for it on Steam Greenlight, but I've not used Steam in years (only used it literally once to download the Amnesia demo) and can't remember my login. I'll try again tomorrow.

That is some seriously impressive work, Jobbs. Even with just that short video, I was actually beginning to get into the mystery and lonely, ghostly atmosphere of that area. Super Metroid was amazing in creating different atmospheres and art styles for the different sections of the map, from lonely to extremely oppressive, and I'm hoping for something similar here. Great stuff so far.

Jobbs

Banned
Those sounds you are using are placeholders? Sound amazing, keep em.

Some of them are. Not all. Thanks :D

I wanted to show this because he didn't happen to do it on-camera in my recorded fight.

(this area likes to get some really gnarly artifacting on it when taken as a gif!)

adamriflecombo.gif

He likes to hit you with a short range then retreat and use his long range. He also will use the long range if you stay far away for too long.

This gif also illustrates "heavy" damage types. The first shot is ordinary damage; if you have enough armor to absorb it, it does little or no damage ("chip" damage) to your actual health (top left number).

Certain attacks will do a lot of damage regardless, such as this rifle shot. It's worth mentioning that if by chance you are hit by this while your armor is empty, it's a one shot kill. Balanced by the fact that it is broadcast by a sound shortly before the actual shot.

Famassu

Apart of a couple of iffy lines of dialogue, the rest looks & sounds really good. Keep up the good work, glad I backed this.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a backer and really happy about this video. There weren't many updates and I started to get a little nervous, but it's looking very good so far!

Top Bottom