• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LR: More 'Ant-Man' Rewrites by Duo Behind Sabrina the Teenage Witch Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

Trying to remain optimistic.

Latino Review reports:
Sources tell me that writing duo Gabriel Ferrari and Andrew Barrer have come aboard Marvel's Ant-Man to rewrite the script last revised by Adam McKay.

Now before you go thinking this movie is turning into a trainwreck, Ferrari and Barrer were hired as production writers meaning they will stick around the Atlanta set for the next few months doing production revisions. Hiring new writers during a movie's production is quite a common practice in Hollywood. Now whether Ferrari and Barrer get any screen credit is up to the Writer's Guild arbitration committee.

Ferrari and Barrer are best known for breaking into the business out of NYU with their hot 2010 Black List script Die In A Gunfight. The writing duo also did a draft of Sabrina The Teenage Witch for Sony. I hear their Sabrina draft is what impressed Marvel to offer the writers the Ant-Man gig.

Salsa

now this makes sense

in reality tho if they made a good script then they might be good writers

i'd watch that sabrina movie btw, is it coming out

Mariolee

now this makes sense

in reality tho if they made a good script then they might be good writers

i'd watch that sabrina movie btw, is it coming out

Quick Googling only brings up articles from a couple years ago. If it is coming out, it's developing at a snail's pace.

Wait there is a Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot?

It better be based on the upcoming 60s-set horror comic 'The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina"

sabrinav3.jpg

That looks like it'll be fucking killer. If it's as good as Afterlife with Archie, goddamn, I can't wait.

How have I not heard of this?

WANT.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/06/02/sabrina-archie-comics-first-look/9727791/

With the undead running roughshod over Riverdale, Archie Comics is about to get very witchy.

The zombie-laden Afterlife with Archie series has been such a boon for the publisher that it's continuing to embrace the horror for Sabrina, an ongoing series launching in October that's written by Afterlife writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and stars Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

The female character has been an Archie staple since 1962, but as with Afterlife, Sabrina is a more terrifying version than the usual kid-friendly adventures of Archie, Betty, Veronica and Jughead. (For those who want to catch up, the first collection of Afterlife issues will be released Wednesday.)

"Sabrina takes characters we know and love and pushes them in a new, ghastly direction," says series artist Robert Hack (Doctor Who). "The horror in Sabrina carries so much weight because we've cared for these characters for, quite literally, generations. And Roberto's scripts alternate between tugging at heartstrings and ripping them out."

He's also a master of spooky, adds Afterlife artist Francesco Francavilla. "This new venture in horror territory couldn't be in better hands."

Sabrina has appeared in Afterlife, but her series is different: It's a period book with a retro vibe set in the 1960s that acts as a retelling of her origin.

The character, who's been portrayed in comics, cartoons and a 1996-2003 TV series starring Melissa Joan Hart, goes to public high school in Greendale, but she's no ordinary student. The daughter of a warlock father and mortal woman, Sabrina comes from a dynasty of witches that goes back to Lilith, the mother of Eve.

"One day, Sabrina's going to be the most powerful sorceress who's ever lived — Archie's equivalent of Doctor Strange — but right now, she's a 16-year-old girl who's figuring out who she wants to be and if she's going to prom or not," says Aguirre-Sacasa.

Sabrina straddles the real world and an ancient pagan place while mastering her powers, but she also maintains a secret identity, unlike the Sabrina in the current non-horror Archie comics.

No one knows she's a witch, not even her mortal boyfriend Harvey Kinkle, says Aguirre-Sacasa. "And the cost of anyone finding out her secret — which happens at the end of the first issue — comes with dire, deadly consequences."

Sabrina's longtime supporting cast will be in the series, from her aunts Hilda and Zelda to Salem Saberhagen, a witch who's been turned into a talking cat. Madame Satan will be one of the core villains, appearing along with the Enchantress, the Witches' Council, Sabrina's Greendale High rival Rosalind and various supernatural creatures and curses.

Plus, there will be a certain redheaded teen from Riverdale, "though not as you might expect," Aguirre-Sacasa says.

Afterlife is the writer's conscious love letter to both the "wholesome" Archie characters and the "forbidden" horror movies of his childhood, such as The Evil Dead,Night of the Living Deadand Pet Sematary. For Sabrina, Aguirre-Sacasa is revisiting different horror touchstones — Rosemary's Baby,The Exorcist,The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane and Suspiria.

The new series is much darker than Afterlife, and the "scary stuff" is more spiritual and psychological, Aguirre-Sacasa promises. "It's a story about witches and witchcraft, demonology and occultism, so yes, the 'monsters' are going to be more diabolical.''

The horror renaissance that Afterlife kicked off led directly to Sabrina and gave the creative team permission to try new things and veer in darker directions with Archie's iconic players, says the writer.

However, for him it's not about pushing the envelope further as much as it is "telling a compelling, surprising, emotional story that's perhaps scarier and more grownup than what we've seen before with these characters. It's never been about the easy shock, it's about going deeper and peeling back layers. Sabrina will hopefully continue that."

How cool is that?

I haven't heard of either of the Archie horror comics, and apparently the first series is really good? I'll have to get the tradeback.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Damn, that comic sounds rad. Guess I'm adding it to my pull this week.

And that cover is legit fucking hot.

I haven't heard of either of the Archie horror comics, and apparently the first series is really good? I'll have to get the tradeback.

Afterlife with Archie is EXCELLENT, not just a good Archie book, but an amazing horror book, one of the best in years. Can't wait for the Sabrina spin-off.

That horror Sabrina comic looks kind of fucking amazing.

Afterlife with Archie is amazing. If it's any indication, the Sabrina book will be good too.

I feel with every rewrite we are getting closer and closer to the one true Antman. Come one Marvel do it.

I wish, but at this point I feel like it's too late to give Douglas the boot. Marvel would probably lose a lot of good will if they did that.

Grifter

I would crack wise about Sabrina's movie being a dark, gritty reboot but it seems that's actually been done in the most awesome way.

Don't forget tipping and circumcision.

We can get those two out of the way right now!

Hank Pym doesn't tip because he's an asshole, Scott Lang has to sit and wait for him to leave before discretely slipping a bill onto the table

All Ant-Men are circumcised because foreskin and pym particles do not mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom