• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latino Review: Ant-Man will feature first MCU tie-ins to Spider-Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I figured this deserved its own thread.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-guess-who-might-be-referenced-in-marvels-ant-man

The next scheduled release in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is July's Ant-Man starring Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Evangeline Lilly and Corey Stoll. Director Peyton Reed stepped in for Edgar Wright, who had written a script for Ant-Man before the MCU was a reality. In between Edgar Wright's departure and Ant-Man's production, several drafts of the script were written by writers like Adam McKay, Paul Rudd, Gabriel Ferrari, and Andrew Barrer. Apparently tweaks and re-writes went on longer than we knew about, because Ant-Man will have the first Spider-Man easer eggs of the MCU.

The Sony/Marvel Spider-Man sharing deal wasn't announced until early this year, but Ant-Man will start planting the seeds for the character to make his first appearance in Captain America: Civil War as a fully-formed hero without an origin story retread. In the MCU, by the time Ant-Man occurs, Spider-Man exists.

We've heard an unconfirmed rumor there is "lots of" talk of/references to Spider-Man and OsCorp in the current version of Ant-Man.

Corey Stoll's villainous businessman Darren Cross is attempting to sell the Ant-Man/Yellowjacket weapons technology to other corporations and organizations. The Ten Rings from Iron Man and Roxxon, a Marvel Comics corporation that has been name-dropped in all 3 Iron Man movies, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, Daredevil and a Marvel One Shot. This scene would be an excellent opportunity to introduce OsCorp into MCU.

I'm wondering if Wright objected to adding Spidey references to Ant-Man. I'm definitely more hyped to see this film if this is true.

I can see the Yellowjacket suit being remade into the Iron Spider.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm wondering if Wright objected to adding Spidey references to Ant-Man. I'm definitely more hyped to see this film if this is true.
Really? That makes me sad if that's all it takes. Marvel's got people wrapped around their finger.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
fuck it, not reading any potential spoilers because we're too close now, but I don't think Wright's decision to leave had anything to do with Spider-Man, his departure predates the deal by quite a while. And yeah, Marvel obviously been planning this for a while, but I don't think it had anything to do with it. Wright/Marvel took too long and the film became part of a franchise instead of a cool stand-alone movie.

ryseing

I'm still not going to see it.

AM is the first Marvel movie that is going to actually bomb.

At least with Guardians you could see the appeal of a space opera, even being based on a lesser known franchise. Nothing I have seen thus far makes me want to see AM, and the director shit sure didn't help.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Really? That makes me sad if that's all it takes. Marvel's got people wrapped around their finger.

The drama with wright is the biggest thing about ant man at the moment. Hopefully the movie does well enough that it can step out of that shadow.

Quick

Banned
Easing the world into Spidey joining the MCU.

A Daily Bugle newspaper appearance would be pretty cool tool. Civil War, maybe?

But what's so wrong about that?

I'm calling BS. Ant-Man filmed from August to December 2014, and the Sony-Marvel deal was hashed out in February of this year. Granted, they were talking beforehand but it seems like the November leaks forced Sony's hand with the Spider-Man license. There was only 10 days between the leak happening and Ant-Man wrapping. That doesn't seem like enough time to negotiate a deal, write the references in, and film them.. Plus, we've heard nothing about reshoots and it seems really far-fetched that they would include references to Spider-Man when the deal wasn't even started let alone finished.

In the 0.1% chance this might turn out to be true, be a nice way to seed the MCU with Spider-Man.

Crud

Banned
No Marvel movie (now) can be its own deal. That's so frustrating. This movie will never be able to have closure because of the next movie and all the winks and Easter eggs n shit, and the teaser after the credits etc...

At least with Guardians you could see the appeal of a space opera, even being based on a lesser known franchise. Nothing I have seen thus far makes me want to see AM, and the director shit sure didn't help.

I'm conflicted. I want to see it so Marvel isn't reluctant to give these lesser known heroes their own solo films. On the other hand I don't want to see it because the trailers haven't really roped me in. I'll probably go see it if reviews/word of mouth is crazy good like GOTG but I'm doubting it.

Seeding heroes is something I think we'll see a lot of in the future. Batman is already showing up in Suicide Squad and Black Panther is being launched from Civil War.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
oddly enough that makes more interested in Ant-Man than anything else in the movie

No Marvel movie (now) can be its own deal. That's so frustrating. This movie will never be able to have closure because of the next movie and all the winks and Easter eggs n shit, and the teaser after the credits etc...

sounds like comic books?

DarkFlow

Banned

People still doubt Marvel, amazing.

Yup. Not reports that the script is good or anything like that. But that the script contains references to another brand character. Why the hell would this make you more excited about a movie?

Dan is 100% right. Marvel doesn't even have to try to meet expectations of their fan base.

what the hell is Taskmaster talking about, spiders can be squished too

also why doesn't Ant-Man just turn big again

this cover is dumb

Sou Da

Yup. Not reports that the script is good or anything like that. But that the script contains references to another brand character. Why the hell would this make you more excited about a movie?

Dan is 100% right. Marvel doesn't even have to try to meet expectations of their fan base.

Didn't know those made headlines. I'm tired of seeing LR threads taken seriously around here though. They're a joke everywhere else.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Someone show the leaked footage Mr. Rudd was graceful enough to smuggle out of Marvel HQ.

a916

Hope this is wrong because that's a gut punch of a spoiler.

I wouldn't say that, it kinda runs in line with what everyone has been saying for a long long time, that SM will show up in Civil War, here they're just saying they'll drop in tie-ins so him showing up isn't completely out of the blue.

DarkFlow

Banned
AM is likely going to make Thor money. That means about $150-$170 million, with about $500 million WW. Likely more in the $450 million range.

I'm calling BS. Ant-Man filmed from August to December 2014, and the Sony-Marvel deal was hashed out in February of this year. Granted, they were talking beforehand but it seems like the November leaks forced Sony's hand with the Spider-Man license. There was only 10 days between the leak happening and Ant-Man wrapping. That doesn't seem like enough time to negotiate a deal, write the references in, and film them.. Plus, we've heard nothing about reshoots and it seems really far-fetched that they would include references to Spider-Man when the deal wasn't even started let alone finished.

In the 0.1% chance this might turn out to be true, be a nice way to seed the MCU with Spider-Man.
They could just CGI something into the background. It would achieve the effect of teasing Spidey without changing any of the shot footage.

Fury451

Banned
AM is likely going to make Thor money. That means about $150-$170 million, with about $500 million WW. Likely more in the $450 million range.

I think this is a fair prediction.

Since he is showing up in Civil War, maybe the character will become more popular as part of ensemble films than he would be on his own. That seemed to be the case with Thor after the first Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom