• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION Gameplay Series -- Part Two: Redcliffe Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthalis

Banned
Damn it, can't watch till I get home.

Can anyone tell me if they are still doing the button mashy combat, or are they showing off tactical combat more in this one?

Finalow

first cutscene they show and it's already dumb. "she was tortured u know :(((" and yet she kills the guard in 2 seconds by breaking his neck with her legs (lol) because "yeah I'm strong". also she didn't look like a tortured prisoner at all.
and the guy they fight in the end repeats the same phrase like 4 times, but I guess they'll change that.

anyway, the game looks really pretty.

Ralemont

not me

Can anyone tell me if they are still doing the button mashy combat, or are they showing off tactical combat more in this one?

The press embargo was lifted today on the E3 demos they gave, so there's some nice description of the combat; not sure if that comes through in the actual video.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/dragon-age-inquisition-hands-on-fighting-dragons-in-biowares-biggest-rpg-ever/

Relevant to your question:

"Later in the demo, while exploring a dilapidated Redcliff Castle from Origins, I demolished a group of mages by placing my archer at the top of a staircase, using my heavy melee character to block the path and tank at the bottom, and my main character to cast area of effect spells on the crowd below. It made combat feel like it happened in a real place, as opposed to other RPGs where every encounter can feel like an abstract tabulation of character stats."

There's more previews out there but I haven't read through them.

Balehead

In this and the first one, are they forcing the camera angle with the right stick to showcase the environment or something because it's pretty bad watching the camera drag behind at the height of the player character's ankle.

Jinaar

I bad mouthed the first game clip from a few days ago about the fighting but I will say that the castle environment and the atmosphere was really well presented in this latest clip. The spells in the darkness really make an impact. Looks really good!

Coolade

They show a smidge of tactical combat. A.I partners stand around doing nothing sometimes. Boss battle with repeating dialogue during combat. Still looks fun though.

Ralemont

not me
Some tidbits from the GI preview:

"The controls have been overhauled to fit the blended approach with this third installment. The tactical camera is handled with a toggle of the back button (on the Xbox 360 controller we were using for our PC demo). From there, I was able to freely move around the area (in three dimensions - the camera isn’t fixed to a specific altitude), cycle through each of the characters to move them or choose from one of eight different quick abilities (up from six in the previous two games), and plan for the fight ahead.

Unlike previous BioWare games, which require you to either queue abilities or play in real time, Inquisition offers a third option. By pressing the right trigger in tactical view, you enter what Laidlaw calls “engage mode.” This slowly winds the action ahead and can be immediately stopped by letting go of the trigger.

The benefit is more precise timing of abilities to maximize synergistic effects. For example, triggering Blizzard (a spell that swirls biting snow across an area as menacing clouds gather above) has a chance of freezing enemies in place. Slowly progressing the action will let you know if a fellow mage should use Stone Fist or a warrior should strike with a Heavy Blow, both of which will “shatter” a frozen enemy for additional damage.

I found myself entering tactical mode more than any other BioWare game I’ve played, largely because of the combined flexibility of the camera and engage mode. That’s not to say that playing things out in real-time isn’t fun or useful. Rather, using both at the appropriate time is far more intuitive in Inquisition.

Encountering two Templars might not require much tactical maneuvering, but stumbling into a fight between them and mages (and drawing the ire of both factions) might convince you to take a breather and think things through. And should one of your party members fall on the battlefield mid-skirmish, any character will be able to help the teammate up."

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_inquisition/b/pc/archive/2014/07/11/dragon-age-inquisition-hands-on-a-bloody-march-through-the-hinterlands.aspx?PostPageIndex=1&utm_content=bufferde243&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Cool thing to note, Leliana takes part in the fight with Alexius, though not as a controllable companion, but she's still shooting his ass with arrows.

Also Iron Bull's strikes leave marks, albeit shortly, on the pillars that he strikes, which is a nice touch.

I really hate the Tear removal animation as well. It's super awkward looking and not at all interesting looking.

Dorian's Mustache and goatee look much better and more natural as well. At least in this lighting.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Some tidbits from the GI preview:

"The controls have been overhauled to fit the blended approach with this third installment. The tactical camera is handled with a toggle of the back button (on the Xbox 360 controller we were using for our PC demo). From there, I was able to freely move around the area (in three dimensions - the camera isn’t fixed to a specific altitude), cycle through each of the characters to move them or choose from one of eight different quick abilities (up from six in the previous two games), and plan for the fight ahead.

Unlike previous BioWare games, which require you to either queue abilities or play in real time, Inquisition offers a third option. By pressing the right trigger in tactical view, you enter what Laidlaw calls “engage mode.” This slowly winds the action ahead and can be immediately stopped by letting go of the trigger.

The benefit is more precise timing of abilities to maximize synergistic effects. For example, triggering Blizzard (a spell that swirls biting snow across an area as menacing clouds gather above) has a chance of freezing enemies in place. Slowly progressing the action will let you know if a fellow mage should use Stone Fist or a warrior should strike with a Heavy Blow, both of which will “shatter” a frozen enemy for additional damage.

I found myself entering tactical mode more than any other BioWare game I’ve played, largely because of the combined flexibility of the camera and engage mode. That’s not to say that playing things out in real-time isn’t fun or useful. Rather, using both at the appropriate time is far more intuitive in Inquisition.

Encountering two Templars might not require much tactical maneuvering, but stumbling into a fight between them and mages (and drawing the ire of both factions) might convince you to take a breather and think things through. And should one of your party members fall on the battlefield mid-skirmish, any character will be able to help the teammate up."

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_inquisition/b/pc/archive/2014/07/11/dragon-age-inquisition-hands-on-a-bloody-march-through-the-hinterlands.aspx?PostPageIndex=1&utm_content=bufferde243&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Engage mode sounds really really helpful. I was a bit skeptical at first but the precision seems like it could be really helpful. I wonder how we will control it with a Mouse and KB seeing as they don't have a trigger, so it wouldn't be that much different than just pressing the Space bar as usual to pause.

Kinthalis

Banned
Engage mode sounds really really helpful. I was a bit skeptical at first but the precision seems like it could be really helpful. I wonder how we will control it with a Mouse and KB seeing as they don't have a trigger, so it wouldn't be that much different than just pressing the Space bar as usual to pause.

I believe they've said with M&K it's a toggle rather than ahold thing like on the gamepad.

Staf

Just started watching the video. Anyone else noticing the weird animation on Lelianas mouth when she talks? It looks really award. Might just be that specific scene though.

Chaos17

Did I just saw a dead Sera ? o.o

Edit : french players got the annoucement of an collector edition without the game, LOL XD

DRAGONAGE_02.jpg

source : http://www.micromania.fr/coffret-collector-dragon-age-inquisition-sans-le-jeu-57379.html

Kimaka

Being able to see exactly what path your party member will take is a nice addition. It makes sure I won't choose a location where they go out of the way to get to.

I hate that UI. I hope that's not final.

Salih

Judging from both videos the writing in this game seems really simply. This is nowhere on par with the Baldurs Gate saga or even the first Mass Effect.

Combat has a strategy option yet at the end the combat looks chaotic and unorganized. It really doesn't matter what attacks you use at whom. Just keep spamming those attacks which have no cooldown. Especially a boss at the end of the video should require some form of strategy to beat, certain buffs and debuffs to use and so on. Yet you see that during the fight the player never even had to repostion his characters. He just switched between them on the fly and kept spamming attacks.

Ridesh

Banned
That was really good, better than the first video. It needs some polishing though. Some animations are weird and the pop-in can be very noticeable.

Hopefully they're on that.

d1rtn4p

Don't know why, but this strikes me as more of an action game than an RPG. I liked the first Dragon Age because it was a strong isometric style RPG. Don't know if Bioware has that in mind for the series anymore...

Ooccoo

I'm not gonna lie, I hate EA but DA3 looks phenomenal. There are still issues but they seem minor (boss repeating the same stuff, ackward cutscenes).

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, I'm convinced this is actually going to be worth my time unlike DA2.

I hope Blood Mage is back.

Nope. For this game they are actually working the specializations into the story (ie, one of your party members may not like you much if you choose to specialize in Reaver. Another might take issue with you being a Templar) and since Blood mage is such a huge issue in the DA world the dissonance would have been too great. The three mage ones are Rift Mage, Knight Enchanter....and Necromancer (necromancy is surprisingly tolerated in Thedas).

Judging from both videos the writing in this game seems really simply. This is nowhere on par with the Baldurs Gate saga or even the first Mass Effect.

Combat has a strategy option yet at the end the combat looks chaotic and unorganized. It really doesn't matter what attacks you use at whom. Just keep spamming those attacks which have no cooldown. Especially a boss at the end of the video should require some form of strategy to beat, certain buffs and debuffs to use and so on. Yet you see that during the fight the player never even had to repostion his characters. He just switched between them on the fly and kept spamming attacks.

Keep in mind that all the party is invincible for the demo. The viability of spamming attacks on a boss on a harder difficulty where the party can be killed will be minimal.

Will it have top down isometric view like DA:O on PC?

According to the devs, you can play pretty much the whole game in tactical view on PC.

Ridesh

Banned

If you consider that they have mentioned how limited are the potions and healing spells, and no more health regeneration after battles, strategy and tactics will be essential.

For demo purposes I guess they have unlimited potions.

Shmuppers

Don't know why, but this strikes me as more of an action game than an RPG. I liked the first Dragon Age because it was a strong isometric style RPG. Don't know if Bioware has that in mind for the series anymore...

I see what you mean. Looks more like a slower Vindictus than the isometric RPG you mentioned.

komplanen

Looks like it could be a ton of fun. So far I'm really impressed with the gameplay they've shown but a little worried about the graphical pop-in of objects, lights and shadows. It's a minor complaint however.

they'll change the dialogue/notification font from this alpha build right? looks out of place

The font and some of the UI elements overall look really bad. Just aesthetically, they look out of place.

In this and the first one, are they forcing the camera angle with the right stick to showcase the environment or something because it's pretty bad watching the camera drag behind at the height of the player character's ankle.

YES. I haven't watched this second gameplay video yet but that really bothered me in the first one. Its supposed to be a party based RPG and yet you rarely ever saw anything that wasn't some upward facing tight from behind shot of the main character. You only saw your party members walking with you when they'd jump into frame occasionally in combat or you quickly turned around.

I hope that was just the person playing the demo trying to gawk at the sky with the camera and not how the camera is normally placed, since that would be extraordinarily obnoxious.

Will every one of these gameplay series keep the camera tilted up? I want to see your enviroments, not the Inquisitor's damn butt

Sendero

We had seen the last 2 reel videos several times, but still was interesting to see (on the 1st one) how you can get sidequests on the wild, and conversation no longer requiring "in your face" close ups.

This video, on the other hand, does give more insight on both free combat and "strategy" mode. So, it's really worth checking, even if to look at the skills those companions have. Also, notice that Leliana do participate on the combat on her own. She does not seem to use any "special" attack, but at least has the power to finish one enemy.

Overall, it looks entertaining and what I expected, but other than out-of-place UI and the completely awful jump&fall animation, was dissapointed to notice the AI of your companions does not seem to be overtly reactive on its own. Hope the options to alter their behavior can alleviate it somewhat.

I'm personally more interested on knowing more about the Character creator and the Castle/armour/weapon costumization. Hope they go there soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom