• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog artists The-Last-Of-Us-ified a bunch of locations. Amazing.

edit: and the lights are on in (currently disused)Battersea power station, and someone is obviously there using it for power. Now thats intruiging.

aLAw0yM.jpg
I think you could be onto something here.

Newline

From London I noticed Battersea Power Station (Upside down elephant as I used to call it as a kid), The Shard and Buckingham Palace.

They're all really well done!

Alrus

Would have looked better if they kept the vibrancy of the original pictures instead of going for the "post apocalyptic = somber colors".

And the way some building are partially destroyed makes no sense, but that's par for the course for anything featuring civilization's collapse.

Edit: And obviously it's still impressive works being done, don't get me wrong. ND has some amazing artists.

Raist

Banned
So many more at link. Can we identify them all? What transformation is your favorite one?

Berlin (tough one!)
Amsterdam
Avila (Spain)
Warsaw

London
London
Rome
Paris
Copenhagen
Berlin
Oslo
Moskow
Lisbon
London
Paris
Rome
Lisbon
Stockholm
Madrid (thanks Ichigo)
Versailles
No idea

It's interesting that they're european locations only.

I cheated for the bolded ones

Ploid 3.0

I'm so confused by this apocalypse. I thought it was supposed to be a disease of some sort that wipes out humanity, so stuff would just look decayed. Except Paris is half-destroyed and there are chunks of statues and skyscrapers missing and fires that are still burning 10-20 years after whatever event happened?

Buildings get destroyed when there's no people around to maintain them. People destroy things when they aren't worrying about keeping it neat and if they want to kill whoever is inside. Nature takes over cities easily, they turn them into land titanics.

Abandoned-city-of-Keelung-Taiwan-620x250.jpg

Those are amazing, but like someone said above some of them don't make sense. The Coliseum and Saint Angelo especially have stood the the test of time, a couple of decades of human virus infestation and near extinction isn't going to break them.

EVO

not really, but i got a last of us vibe from 28 days later. i wonder if danny boyle is a fan.
I thought their rendition of San Francisco looked straight out of Last of Us, but then again, I suppose any overgrown city does.

Teeth

Is this usually done by tracing it, or is it done by photoshopping on the original image?

It's generally known as a "paintover".

They usually use the original photo, composite in elements from other photos (like groups of plants, trees, the floating cars, piles of garbage, applying a completely new sky), paint in extra details in Photoshop or Painter, then use a bunch of filters and colour grading to "set" the picture and combine all the elements together to fit.

One of the reasons why the lighting is changed so heavily (aside from implementing an artistic mood to a piece) is that when you change the colour grading/hue/contrast/etc of a bunch of combined elements simultaneously, it helps mask that they were compiled from separate sources.

This is some stellar work.

It's generally known as a "paintover".

They usually use the original photo, composite in elements from other photos (like groups of plants, trees, the floating cars, piles of garbage, applying a completely new sky), paint in extra details in Photoshop or Painter, then use a bunch of filters and colour grading to "set" the picture and combine all the elements together to fit.

One of the reasons why the lighting is changed so heavily (aside from implementing an artistic mood to a piece) is that when you change the colour grading/hue/contrast/etc of a bunch of combined elements simultaneously, it helps mask that they were compiled from separate sources.

This is some stellar work.

Thanks for the detailed response!

Melchiah

It's nice to see European locations there. It would be refreshing, if the next entry was located in the old world. I want to see more familiar places in ruins.

i-Lo

Beautiful work.

So ND may be going the reverse way of Insomniac with Resistance games' location settings.

li bur

Why the sudden marketing push?

Is it only because of the remastered games? Gelt like they are trying to establish the franchise to be some kind of flagship IP.

Gekidami

Banned
Buildings get destroyed when there's no people around to maintain them. People destroy things when they aren't worrying about keeping it neat and if they want to kill whoever is inside. Nature takes over cities easily, they turn them into land titanics.

Abandoned-city-of-Keelung-Taiwan-620x250.jpg
To add to this, in the game we learn that the military resorted to bombing the areas around safe zones.

Hamlet

Really impressive stuff
Now I kinda want a TLOU sequel set in Europe

Anyone else get a Last of Us vibe from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?

Definitely the set designers for that movie did a fantastic job in making the world look post apocalyptic
Hopefully the TLOU films sets are just as great as they were in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Cornbread78

Oh $hit, these are amazing. TLOU2 to be set in EU confirmed. Could be epic to follow a new story line in a new setting, but the same world. So much possibility with the same outbreak that collapsed the world..

Beautiful work.

So ND may be going the reverse way of Insomniac with Resistance games' location settings.

All we want from Insomniac is for them to build a Resistance set in the Chimera world wit Humans jumping onto teh shipd ant bringing the fight there... Is that so much to ask?

Sony needs to hand that IP off to Sony Bend or something since Insomniac doesn't want to make that series anymore...

Kade

My nephew told me this the other day when he watched it. Interesting. What causes you to make that comparative statement specifically?

How old is your nephew? It might just stem from minimal consumption of post-apocalyptic urban settings and media. I don't think there's anything unique that TLoU does in regards to world building or setting that separates it from other post-apocalyptic fiction.

BibiMaghoo

ITT I learned that several people actually remember what Amsterdam looks like :D

They are cool, needs some Liverpool.

Oh, wait. That would be the same anyway.

shandy706

Pretty good stuff. I love doing things like this myself.

There are a couple rough photoshop spots, and a few goofs with lighting direction, but good stuff.

Nah, Gunkanjima doesn't have nearly that lush of vegetation. This is Keelung (not Keelung City) in Taiwan.

When I worked as a photographer in Japan, one of the things I'd shoot a lot of was haikyo, or 'ruins'. Lots of abandoned structures of the creepiest magnitude; think shrines, elementary schools, hospitals, love hotels, etc...

Anyways Keelung was one of those places, like Pripyat or Gunkanjima (it was still closed when I lived in JPN), that a number of people that shot this stuff knew about but never quite made the trip to cover. If there's any TaiwanGAF here, you should definitely check it out!

And the Kremlin, fully fortified, manned and powered. Another Battle of Moscow situation being considered?

tN8SZc6.jpg

They seem to have their stuff together. At first I thought someone was walking their dog out the front...

I'ld love TLoU 2 in Europe though. I never really considered it before seeing these shots, but damn, so many possibilities.

Top Bottom