• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Sony exec cautious about releasing too many HD remasters

fantomena

Interview released on CVG 2 days ago, so not sure wherever it was posted on GAF. Lock if otherwise.

Otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen

One of the things we've seen this time around is that people have transitioned from a competitor platform last generation to PlayStation 4 this time around, and to allow those people to be able to experience a game like The Last Of Us, which they weren't able to last time because they were playing something else, that's just common sense," Ryan said.

But I think it's got to be looked at very holistically, you can't have too many of these things otherwise next-gen just looks like rehashed last-gen and we certainly don't want that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...utious-about-releasing-too-many-hd-remasters/

Zeth

It's a fine line to tread - but it sounds like they have the right idea. I think they're in an ideal position for the remasters they're greenlighting.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Release a FF7 remake AND remaster AND original imo.

Tri-release.

I'll buy for $100 on the spot no questions asked.

Zalman

They released a TON of collections last gen. I have no problem with them doing it again. Just wait a few years and don't release them all at once.

I don't know. They could just release the stuff digitally. Is it because it'll cannibalize new game sales?

I am sitting here with a copy of Tony Hawk 2x that is awesome, and keeping my 360 because it is the only system that can play it and dead rising 1. Movies and music are pretty much re-released all the time, and iOS devices have decent backwards compatibility. I get that they would have to create emulators etc whatever to run the original game. But I would pay for an uported version. I think mobile devices etc are going to train people more and more to expect their collections to go with them going forward.

Omega

Banned
i like how they keep pretending they released TLOU:R and tease more for any reason other than "it would make us a shit ton of money"

it had nothing to do with people that missed out on it. If someone wanted to play PS3 games, they would have gotten a ps3. makes sense no?

i like how they keep pretending they released TLOU:R and tease more for any reason other than "it would make us a shit ton of money"

it had nothing to do with people that missed out on it. If someone wanted to play PS3 games, they would have gotten a ps3. makes sense no?

Sony has said that nearly 50% of current PS4 owners didn't own a PS3. So why would they get a PS3 all of a sudden when they went all those years without one.

I'm glad they've been doing it with some of the very best of PSN but have only done it with one first-party optical-based game (The Last of Us, obviously).

Here's hoping they bring over Wipeout HD (maybe with added content from Wipeout 2048).

As for disc-based AAA remasters, I fully expect God of War and Uncharted at some point, but probably not Resistance or Infamous, for example. Maaaaybe we'll see Ratchet & Clank Future Trilogy because that's kind of a PS legacy franchise at this point.

The last of us remastered OT begs to differ. A lot of people in that thread did not play it on PS3 and bought a PS4 this time around. TLOUR was the perfect thing to do for the people who switched consoles this time around.

JohnGrimm

Dragon's Dogma would be deserving, right? :(
tumblr_mlsd1oS6LF1ryzizgo1_500.gif

Seriously, Capcpom.

I'd be okay with Beyond Two Souls coming to PS4 but other than that I think Sony has released enough remasters, there are no sony exclusives I want a remaster.

Instead of HD Remasters, they should funnel all that money into developing a stable backwards-compatible environment on PS4 to play PS3 games. I still don't think the changes made in TLoU really warranted a PS4 version, and I would look at any PS3 remake for this gen with great suspicion.

As far as I'm concerned, any PS2-era title or prior should be fair game for HD remaking -- the more the merrier.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't agree that this creates a perception problem. I suspect that people who care that game X was released on console Y in the past are the core. It is hard for me to believe that the audience that buys annualized sports games and annualized sequels to Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed is particularly worried about a "rehash" feeling. That makes no sense.

There continues to be bizarre sentiment against remasters in some quarters. On the whole, the ones done well seem to sell well and review well. They give people an opportunity to play games they either missed out on or want to play again in better quality. Giving games like Puppeteer another chance at success is a good idea. Anyone who is complaining about how this makes the PS4 feel like a PS3 has a serious solipsism issue-- there are other people out there that want to play these games.

I don't and won't understand this. To me this quote is clearly meant to placate message board denizens.

edit: Optimally, because backwards compatibility is not available, I would like every title to be available for purchase optimally. Obviously there are serious constraints from stopping this from happening, but to me this seems like the optimal outcome.

God Of War: Olympic Edition

-god of war
-god of war 2
-god of war : chains of olympus
-god of war 3
-god of war : ghost of sparta
-god of war : ascension

1080p/60fps etc., 6 great games for 40-60 €

Carbonox

In terms of PS3 exclusives I'd be fine with remasters of the Uncharted trilogy and the Ratchet & Clank Future trilogy. The entire God of War series as well (as they're all available on PS3)?

Not sure what else (of interest to me at least).

More interested in third-party remaster offerings but then aside from a handful of devs most would put in fucking embarrassing efforts probably.

I'm NOT okay with the systems not being backward compatible, BUT since I don't have a say in it, I'm fine with remasters. They don't make the two gens anymore samey than the cross gen titles.

atr0cious

Instead of HD Remasters, they should funnel all that money into developing a stable backwards-compatible environment on PS4 to play PS3 games. I still don't think the changes made in TLoU really warranted a PS4 version, and I would look at any PS3 remake for this gen with great suspicion.

As far as I'm concerned, any PS2-era title or prior should be fair game for HD remaking -- the more the merrier.

Pretty much. Every game they greenlight is another pile of money that could've been put to making sure PS4 has backwards compatibility at least with the PS3. As it is, I'm just gonna go PC and keep my PS3.

2San

I don't agree that this creates a perception problem. I suspect that people who care that game X was released on console Y in the past are the core. It is hard for me to believe that the audience that buys annualized sports games and annualized sequels to Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed is particularly worried about a "rehash" feeling. That makes no sense.

There continues to be bizarre sentiment against remasters in some quarters. On the whole, the ones done well seem to sell well and review well. They give people an opportunity to play games they either missed out on or want to play again in better quality. Giving games like Puppeteer another chance at success is a good idea. Anyone who is complaining about how this makes the PS4 feel like a PS3 has a serious solipsism issue-- there are other people out there that want to play these games.

I don't and won't understand this. To me this quote is clearly meant to placate message board denizens.
Yup, honestly if publisher have enough new stuff in the pipeline people won't care about how many remasters gets released.

AmuroChan

The problem is Sony can only control their own titles. They can't tell S-E not to release Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition because it's not the "right" game to get a HD Remaster.

Good. I'd like some new games to play on my expensive new systems eventually.

God Of War: Olympic Edition

-god of war
-god of war 2
-god of war : chains of olympus
-god of war 3
-god of war : ghost of sparta
-god of war : ascension

1080p/60fps etc., 6 great games for 40-60 €

God of War got three collections last gen including a collection of previous collections. And nobody liked Ascension. Pass.

I'm really hoping that the remaster of the Uncharted games also ports back some of the superior mechanics from the later games in the series (like throwing back grenades, shooting while hanging, autoaimed grenades with a button tap, and the superior Uncharted 2 melee mechanics) into Uncharted 1, as well as bringing the grenade throwback to Uncharted 2. Don't care if balanced because superior, basically (and it'd be a great way of making UC1 much friendlier to new players *and* much more dynamic for repeat players by giving them some very small new crutches without actually making any of the base encounters easier or lowering enemy damage or anything similarly lame).

[Adding stealth to UC1 would require totally redesigning encounters and AI since enemies basically auto-detect you, and I'd rather the game's encounters be left alone.]

Top Bottom