• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN blames Nintendo for not making Splatoon a mascot-platformer

69wpm

I just stumbled over this bedazzling piece of... an article from IGN. Now, Splatoon got some nice feedback from the press and from fans. Everybody felt relieved that Nintendo finally decided to do a shooter again. Everybody except Marty Sliva from IGN apparently.

[...]the Nintendo I fell in love with was a risky bunch of creative-types that didn’t mind eschewing from the industry norm. But while Splatoon is a good-looking new take on the traditional 5v5 multiplayer that’s been along for what seems like forever, I can’t help but wish it were something different.

If I understand correctly, he wants Nintendo to do something new, something different from the rest. Than later he says:

I wish Splatoon were a single-player, character-based platforming adventure akin to Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the original Jak & Daxter.

Really? Does this make sense to you? To me, it doesn't. Nintendo get's called out hundreds of times a day for sticking to the basic formula and now when they actually do something new, they should've done another freaking mascot-platformer?

What do you guys think? Personally, I'm stoked for Splatoon. I've always wished to play something akin to Team Fortress on the Wii U because I'm not really interested in the typical shooters. I've played them for years and they bore me to death. Splatoon seems to be something fresh and new. Obviously I have yet to play it, but from videos, it looks a lot of fun.

jimi_dini

a7YaNzy.gif

69wpm

I'm really looking forward to it, and think it is a new interesting thing from Nintendo but he is entitled to his opinion.

Sure, but he is contradicting himself there. He wants something fresh and new.. and in his opinion that something new would be another mascot-platformer. That's hilarious.

It WILL have a single-player component, which - if I have to guess - probably won't be your average TPS shooter campaign! It may even have platforming!

so, er, sit tight IGN man

L~A

Ha ha.

Nintendo makes new game with existing characters, but which could have been a brand new IP with new characters : "Nitnendo y u no make new IPs?!!"

Nintendo makes a brand new IP with brand new gameplay and characters : "Nitnendo y u no use your existing characters to do the same thing?!!".

This is getting silly. Seriously. Especially since Nintendo already confirmed there'd be as much SP content as MP.

Well the article is just a feature piece by ONE writer really... And in the article he is constantly referring to the fact that he is talking about his personal tastes and this particular human is allowed to have whatever opinion he wants that would make the article interesting to read.
IGN hate is getting overzealous. Nothing wrong here.

Personally glad to see a different (more multiplayer) focused kind of game

Does not compute.

Splatoon looks like the first interesting new IP from Nintendo in a few years.

But people demand more cutesy platformers. Smh. Hasn't nintendo got enough?

ST2K

Reading it, it sounds like he just laments the death of the 3D platformer and is using Splatoon, a shooter, as a jumping off point.

Kind of a silly way to do that. But I get his point.

69wpm

Reading it, it sounds like he just laments the death of the 3D platformer and is using Splatoon, a shooter, as a jumping off point.

Yeah, he could've chosen any game to prove his point and chose Splatoon of all?

Kenai

The really ironic thing is that if he were talking about any major company but Nintendo he might have a point. But Nintendo makes platformers all the time. Double up on irony for the Wii U being about the only console without a lot of multiple shooters to pick from and. soooooo...yea, pretty dumb thing to say

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
As someone who has no interest in Splatoon I think I understand what he's saying. It would still be a new IP if it were a platformer (it could be a spiritual successor to Super Mario Sunshine). I also think Nintendo's formulaic ways have gotten worse this generation on 3DS and Wii U. I agree that it's still contradictory though.

Mlatador

Banned
IGN said:
I wish Splatoon were a single-player, character-based platforming adventure akin to Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the original Jak & Daxter.

Made me laugh! Just no IGN, just no...

JoeM86

Ha ha.

Nintendo makes new game with existing characters, but which could have been a brand new IP with new characters : "Nitnendo y u no make new IPs?!!"

Nintendo makes a brand new IP with brand new gameplay and characters : "Nitnendo y u no use your existing characters to do the same thing?!!".

This is getting silly. Seriously. Especially since Nintendo already confirmed there'd be as much SP content as MP.

It's no secret that Nintendo can't win no matter what they do :p

Poona

Sure, but he is contradicting himself there. He wants something fresh and new.. and in his opinion that something new would be another mascot-platformer. That's hilarious.

Most platformers lately are 2d though, and not 3d which I think he is calling for. Even super Mario 3d world's gameplay is pretty much 2d based.

I really want a 3d platformer like Mario sunshine, Mario 64, Mario galaxy, banjo Kazooie, donkey kong 64, jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, sly raccoon, rayman: hoodlum havoc, etc. Lately we're just getting stuff like 2d donkey kong, 2d yoshi, 2d Mario, 2d rayman.

random25

I thought Wii U already had a plethora of platformers? Then he's asking for another one?

Sometimes I wonder if they're drinking too much alcohol before writing opinions.

I wish Noughty Dog would take some risks and make Uncharted 4 into an open world racing game.

Haha, exactly !

IGN guy, lament about the death of 3D platformers all you want, but don't use Splatoon as a scapegoat .

Besides, we don't even know what the Singleplayer campaign will look like.

JoeM86

Which is ridiculous as we got a 3D platformer last christmas: Super Mario 3D World

Foffy

Banned
Ha ha.

W-will we learn why the squid girls are at war for land?

MaxiLive

Sorry articles like this are just so stupid!

What is wrong with people with that mindset wanting to fundamentally change the gameplay of a game?! What a 3D plat former? Go play Mario its one of the best, What and open world RPG, Skyrim says Hi.

It is just so annoying that people can't move on and ignore a game that doesn't interest them. Rather than hoping/moaning about why doesn't it change to fit my needs.

Don't worry, I'm sure if Platoon does well Mr writer at IGN you will get your Splatoon fix in multiple genres. Until they actually exist though go play something else.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
And people wonder why Nintendo is hesitant to show stuff that they dont plan to release in the current fiscal year - we dont know much about the SP at all, since they didnt feature it but people are jumping to such conclusions already.

Same with Mario Maker and Captain Toad, Nintendo shows a tiny portion of the game and people seem to already know how much of a "game" it is and how it should be priced.

Shiggy

Has anyone actually read the article? He's only asking for a proper singleplayer campaign as they've focussed on the multiplayer part of the game.

Not really that much of an article, but the outcry in this thread is rather stupid.

tsab

No more platform games plz :x WiiU has more than enough. We need GUNZ

Spinluck

Splatoon looks pretty unique, and is fine the way it is.

IGN should blame themselves for writing waste of time articles.

popyea

This makes no sense. Nintendo even emphasised the point about the characters being design after the fact, in order to match the gameplay they had designed.

ST2K

Which is ridiculous as we got a 3D platformer last christmas: Super Mario 3D World

If you're a fan of the 3D platforming genre, Nintendo's pretty much the only company remotely scratching that itch. And 3D World, for all its acclaim, isn't really the same type of platformer as the ones he mentioned. I don't think it's silly for him to want Nintendo to put out one more in line with those games.

The ridiculous part comes in when he brings Splatoon into it. It's a total non sequitur and not all that thoughtful. Marty's a good dude and gives Nintendo a fair shake, but I don't think this is his best work.

Omerta

Well the article is just a feature piece by ONE writer really... And in the article he is constantly referring to the fact that he is talking about his personal tastes and this particular human is allowed to have whatever opinion he wants that would make the article interesting to read.
IGN hate is getting overzealous. Nothing wrong here.

Personally glad to see a different (more multiplayer) focused kind of game

This. That... All of the above.

RalchAC

So he is basically asking Nintendo to stay in their comfort zone? No thanks. The fact that they've been leaving it quite a few times with the WiiU is nothing but good news.

I don't have a WiiU but I think Splatoon looks awesome. As weird as it sounds, games like Splatoon, Xenoblade X or Hyrule Warriors make a posible purchase much more tempting that Mario Kart, 3DWorld and other "Nintendo classics" (outside Zelda if it's as good as it seems).

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't get them if I got the console. But those games won't put me on the fence.

I think opening yourself to a bigger audience is cool. If there is something that Nintendo isn't lacking, is precisely mascots and platformers.

Edit: I've changed his genre lol.

Mael

Splatoon is also a VERY good game right now from what I played,
fuck I would literally trade all my WiiU collection if I could get my hands on more of what I played of Splatton.
Fuck IGN.

Top Bottom