• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders Trap Team |OT|

Yj3dUui.png

• Available for: Wii | Wii U | Xbox 360 | PS3 | Nintendo 3DS | Xbox One | PS4 | Tablets
  • Current Gen Devloped by Beenox (ported) | Past Gen developed by Toys For Bob | Tablet Version Developed by Vicarious Visions | 3DS Version Developed by Beenox

"Kaos has blown up the walls of the feared Cloudcracker Prison freeing the most notorious villains in Skylands. It's up to you and the Skylanders to find and capture them. Using Traptanium, a magic material that can harness the power of the Elements, you have the amazing ability to trap the villains and return them to Skylands to fight for you! Begin the ultimate adventure as you explore Skylands in search of the escaped villains!"
jnBVMR0.png

All the Skylanders from Spyro's Adventure, Giants and Swap Force work with Skylanders Trap Team, including a whole new cast: The Trap Masters. Take control of the bad guys! Trap bad guys with the power of the Traptanium Portal, release them from their crystal traps, and use their awesome powers for good!

Notes:
  • The game's only available as a 'Starter Pack' ($74.99) which includes:
    • The game
    • Brand new Portal
    • 2 figures
    • 2 trading cards and 2 sticker sheets
    • 1 poster
    • 2 Traps
    2 other versions of the Starter Pack exist as well; the Dark Editon (Dark Snapshot, Dark Food Fight and Dark Wildfire, 2 traps, and a special Ultimate Kaos Trap) and runs for $99.99. The 3DS Starter Pack contains Gusto (Trap Master) and Barkley (Mini) plus a Portal. Traps are not used in the 3DS version.
  • The previous portal is not compatible with Trap Team. And if you have the other portal connected to the same console, the game asks you to unplug said portal.
  • You can use the new portal with the old games; so there's no need for having both portals connected anyway.
  • All figures from previous games can be used in this game.
  • Level-cap remains at 20.
  • Multiplayer is (still) limited to 2 players locally (offline). PvP has been removed in favor of "Kaos Mode", which is a Tower Defense styled game.
  • Wii U version specifics:
    • Off-TV play is supported
    • Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro controller, Wii Remote + Nunchuck and/or Wii Remote + Classic Controller; can be used
    • Screenshot capture through Miiverse (580p) or the more recent Nintendo Image Share (720p)

3DS version specifics:
    • Core game is the same as Giants and Swap Force (platformer, double jump, spinoff)
    • You can have your entire collection at all times. (Just scan each figure once)
    • Keeping in mind that to save the stats to the figure, you have to scan the figure again in-game.
    • Trapping a villain is done via the touch screen; villains cannot be transfered or used on the console version.
  • Wii version specifics:
    • Mostly similar, but with the expected visual downgrade and less details, more simple character models and special effects. (still looks good)
    • No online leaderboards.
    • Can only be played with the Wii Remote + Nunchuck.
    • Wii version is said to include a Digial Download code for the Wii U version.
Created with fernoca's blessing. :)

RzxwsmQ.png

Wave 1:

Triple/Adventure Packs
-Nightmare Express (Blades, Nightmare Express, Piggy Bank, Hand of Fate)
-Legendary Nightmare Express (TRU Exclusive; Legendary Blades, Nightmare Express, Piggy Bank, Hand of Fate)
-Pack A (Funny Bone, Sure Shot Shroomboom, Chopper)
-Pack B (Blades, Torch, Tidal Wave Gill Grunt)
-Trap Pack A (Tech Scepter, Magic Logholder, Earth Orb)
-Trap Pack B (Undead Skull, Fire Torch, Air Jughead)

Minis Packs
-Spry/Mini Jini
-Hijinx/Eye Small
-Drobit/Trigger Snappy
-Bop/Terrabite
-Gill Runt/Tidal Wave Gill Grunt (Walmart Exclusive)

Trap Masters
-Legendary Jawbreaker (TRU Exclusive)
-Nitro Krypt King (Target Exclusive)
-Jawbreaker
-Krypt King
-Gusto
-Wallop
-Wildfire
-Gearshift (preorder exclusive)

Core figures
-Chopper
-Funny Bone
-Torch

-Tidal Wave Gill Grunt
-Sure Shot Shroomboom

Traps
-Life Torch w/Riot Shield Shredder (E3 Exclusive/UK Preorder Exclusive)
-Water Logholder w/Outlaw Brawl and Chain (Target Exclusive)
-Air Jughead
-Earth Hammer
-Earth Orb
-Fire Scepter
-Fire Torch
-Life Torch
-Magic Logholder
-Magic Skull
-Tech Scepter
-Undead Orb
-Undead Skull
-Water Jughead
-Water Logholder
------------------------------------------------------------

WAVE 2:

Triple/Adventure Packs
-Mirror of Mystery (Deja Vu, Mirror of Myster, Tiki Speaky, Rocket Ram

Trap Masters
-Bushwack
-Head Rush
-Lob-Star

Core Figures
-Fist Bump
-Tread Head

-Full Blast Jet-Vac
-Fizzy Frenzy Pop Fizz
-Hog Wild Fryno

Traps
-Air Hourglass
-Air Screamer
-Air Toucan
-Earth Toucan
-Earth Hourglass
-Fire Screamer
-Life Toucan
-Magic Axe
-Magic Hourglass
-Tech Angel
-Tech Hand
-Undead Axe
-Undead Hand
-Water Axe
-Water Angel
-Kaos Trap

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ood! If I'll be somehow able to exploit the Wii+WiiU download code, I'll buy it within Christmas, otherwise I'll wait for a deal next spring (as did for Giants and Swap, bought at 30€)

Is anyone who is buying the Wii version that comes with the Wii U code not interested in keeping the Wii U code? I'd love to take it off your hands if that's fine. :)

Was wondering if there was going to be a thread on this. Toys R Us is going to have a big BOGO 50% on this and Disney Infinity tonight at midnight and between 8-10 A.M tomorrow for anyone interested. Game has gotten great reviews...

bodine1231

Was wondering if there was going to be a thread on this. Toys R Us is going to have a big BOGO 50% on this and Disney Infinity tonight at midnight and between 8-10 A.M tomorrow for anyone interested. Game has gotten great reviews...

Oh wow,I might ride by and check it out. I skipped last years version a may pick this one up.

Kemal86

This is the first Skylanders that I'm not super interested in. The "Trap gimmick" isn't as cool to me as the Giants and Swap-Force. I really want them to spend as much time working on the game-part as the toy-part. A shared bank for gold would be heavenly.

The raptor-coptor dude is awesome looking though.

Dezzy

Anyone know what we'll need at a minimum to do the most content? I think the Trap Masters are needed to unlock stuff, but do we need to trap different element villains to unlock stuff as well?

TI82

Banned
This is the first Skylanders that I'm not super interested in. The "Trap gimmick" isn't as cool to me as the Giants and Swap-Force. I really want them to spend as much time working on the game-part as the toy-part. A shared bank for gold would be heavenly.

Also skipping this one. The gimmicks for each game are getting out of hand. How about just a new storyline using the million figures we already have and not having to buy yet another portal?

Sorry skylanders, I'm out for good.

fernoca

Nice thread!
Even when I still love the series and characters, I'm out this year for a couple of simple reasons:
-Basically every game now needs a new portal.
-No digital version on PS4.

I'll just wait a few months, until they announce more plans for the series. If the next game will also need a new portal I'm out for good. If not, I'll grab this. Though a packaged version with a code to get it digitally would be nice.

Will lurk the thread for impressions. So far, it looks like Swap-Force but with stuff like been able to attack in the air, which is more than fine with me.

Lijik

will probably wait for a black friday deal on this. Im not really into the gimmick at all (and requiring trap masters for entry into what are otherwise normal elemental rooms is really fucking bogus) but I wouldnt mind a new set of levels to go through with the characters I have.

TheYanger

Sheesh I hadn't followed the iteration enough to know you needed another portal again. That's a bit ridiculous. Nothing inherantly annoying with the trap concept, but forced portal buying multiple years in a row is dumb.

minime

Neo Member
Sheesh I hadn't followed the iteration enough to know you needed another portal again. That's a bit ridiculous. Nothing inherantly annoying with the trap concept, but forced portal buying multiple years in a row is dumb.

I agree, but at least you can use the old games with the new portal so you don't have to have them all out.

I was going to wait to purchase this but was out doing errands and ran across the dark edition. Looked pretty cool, so I picked it up. I have really enjoyed all the other games and I am looking forward to playing as Kaos.

Hawk269

The trap idea is basically the response to Disney Infinity's Power Disc's. There are over 46 Traps to collect, so there is a lot of them. They designed this just to make another "add-on" piece. It does work kind of neat, but it is a wallet hurting thing for gamers.

Toys R Us does have a Buy 1 Trap Get 1 Trap for $1.00 deal this week. Figures after 10AM this morning are now Buy 1 Get 1 40% Off which is still a pretty damn good deal.

Hawk269

Also traps are buy one, get one for $1...you really only need one trap of each element though...

Unless you want to collect all the bad guys. If you trap a water boss and put him in a water trap, that is the only water bad guy you can have in that trap. If you want to capture another water boss, you will either have to delete the current one in the trap or buy another water trap. That is going to be the catch is that there are some people (like me) that are "gotta get them all".

All the traps look different which makes it a little more interesting, but really wish they would of done it where you could hold more than just one boss per trap. At $6.99, they should be able to hold more than one boss.

Unless you want to collect all the bad guys. If you trap a water boss and put him in a water trap, that is the only water bad guy you can have in that trap. If you want to capture another water boss, you will either have to delete the current one in the trap or buy another water trap. That is going to be the catch is that there are some people (like me) that are "gotta get them all".

All the traps look different which makes it a little more interesting, but really wish they would of done it where you could hold more than just one boss per trap. At $6.99, they should be able to hold more than one boss.

No they are not deleted...they just move to your prison...you can swap them in and out after every level...the only reason to get more than one trap is if you want to have a specific one in a trap at all times...really you only need one of each element though...

The game is great by the way...unless you are REALLLY into building stuff in Infinity, the actual game is FAR better than Infinity IMO...

Kemal86

Picked up a few at Toys R Us and Target today. Just grabbed the store-exclusive figures and two normal Skylanders that I thought were cool. It's such a gamble with store exclusives, sometimes they become super rare (sup jade flashwing and nitro magna charge), other times the stores stay flooded with them for years (legendary trigger happy).

I ended up with

Nitro Krypt King
Legendary Jaw Breaker
Legendary Nightmare Express Adventure Pack w/ Legendary Blades
Chopper (this little dude is already one of my favorite figures. What a cool idea)
Funny Bone
Undead Trap
Life Trap

My Dark Edition should be here tomorrow from Amazon. I know I posted above about not being sold on the whole trap gimmick, but the figures are still as cool and solid as ever. I'd be happy to post close up pics of any of the figures I got if someone was interested.

No they are not deleted...they just move to your prison...you can swap them in and out after every level...the only reason to get more than one trap is if you want to have a specific one in a trap at all times...really you only need one of each element though...

The game is great by the way...unless you are REALLLY into building stuff in Infinity, the actual game is FAR better than Infinity IMO...

Agreed that it's better than the Infinity playset stuff.

Was glad to find out that you really only need one of each trap. I have two of each, so that I can have a trap available and a villain of that type in the other, but it's not necessary. Not sure why Hawk thought you needed one for each.

U2NUMB

For the first time in Skylanders history I am gonna wait till it is on sale. I just can not justify the cost any longer and the trap idea is a total money grab in my mind. I have a TON of past skylanders and I really do not know what to do with them.

I hope the game is fun for those still willing to stick with it..

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Also skipping this one. The gimmicks for each game are getting out of hand. How about just a new storyline using the million figures we already have and not having to buy yet another portal?

Sorry skylanders, I'm out for good.

You'll be able to buy the new starter kit for $30 next month but go ahead and whine like you're part of the target audience.

dottme

You'll be able to buy the new starter kit for $30 next month but go ahead and whine like you're part of the target audience.

I'm waiting for the Black Friday. If it goes down enough, I'll probably get it. But I know i'll spend some money for few figures anyway and, at the end of the day, I would have spent too much money on this game :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What's the difference between different versions of the same element trap?
And do the basic starter kits always have the same two traps packed in?

Question for Wii U owners:

Has anyone found a way to play 2-player WITHOUT the game pad (i.e. two Wii remotes with nunchucks or one of those and a Pro controller)?

I seem to recall this being an issue with Giants, that was (thankfully) fixed in Swap Force. But now, the game won't let me pair more than one non-game pad remote. Which sucks, because my son and I like to do marathon sessions on the weekends, and the game pad battery life is, of course, shit for stuff like that.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this. Also, and I can't explain just why, but this game doesn't feel as "polished" as the last one. I might actually prefer the non-Toys for Bob developer... Oh well, those minor gripes aside -- totally loving it.

me0wish

What's the difference between different versions of the same element trap?
And do the basic starter kits always have the same two traps packed in?

No difference besides how they look I think, and yes unless you're talking about dark edition.

Question for Wii U owners:

Has anyone found a way to play 2-player WITHOUT the game pad (i.e. two Wii remotes with nunchucks or one of those and a Pro controller)?

I seem to recall this being an issue with Giants, that was (thankfully) fixed in Swap Force. But now, the game won't let me pair more than one non-game pad remote. Which sucks, because my son and I like to do marathon sessions on the weekends, and the game pad battery life is, of course, shit for stuff like that.

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this. Also, and I can't explain just why, but this game doesn't feel as "polished" as the last one. I might actually prefer the non-Toys for Bob developer... Oh well, those minor gripes aside -- totally loving it.

Agree I think I like VV as a developer better (the Swap Force developer)...but I am very much enjoying this one...

No difference besides how they look I think, and yes unless you're talking about dark edition.

Yeah...it's just aesthetics...and each one shows up differently in the game, but how they function is no different. Dark Edition has a special Kaos trap in it.

Grakl

Wanted to pick this up today (I loved playing Swap Force with my boyfriend), but it's hard to justify the price. I'm sure I'll break down and get it sometime soon, hah.

Wanted to pick this up today (I loved playing Swap Force with my boyfriend), but it's hard to justify the price. I'm sure I'll break down and get it sometime soon, hah.

If it's like last year, Target and Walmart will probably have it 50% off on black friday...also craigslist can end up being a really cheap place to get a ton of figures and the games if you can wait :)

Hawk269

Yes, you are correct. I based my response from some people that claimed to be big Skylander fans that knew everything. You only really need 1 of each element trap type and like you said the other guys are moved to the prison. For some, they would want to have the other traps so you don't have to go back to the hub to download whatever bad guy you want in the trap.

I have to say that the game itself looks pretty damn good (Xbox One version). I also like how each of the bad guys has a small quest to redeem themselves for being bad guys. Thought that was a nice touch.

The buy 1 trap get 1 for $1.00 trap is a damn good deal right now at Toys R Us.

Also a heads up...Some wave 2 figures and wave 2 traps go on sale at TRU on Tuesday.

me0wish

May I asked what do you mean by wave 2? Sorry I'm a bit noobish about skylanders some stuff are just confusing.

Meffer

Got pretty into Swap Force awhile back and got a good amount of figures. Then I realized it was hurting my wallet in terms of games I wanted to get later on. So I stopped and sold all of them except Star Strike since she has a special place in my heart (played her the most). I'm getting those Amiibos though.

May I asked what do you mean by wave 2? Sorry I'm a bit noobish about skylanders some stuff are just confusing.

A few more Trapmasters, more trap variations, a few core skylanders and I think another adventure pack come out (though some TRU put them out early)...they stagger the releases of the figures throughout the year in waves :)

Meffer

They don't release all the figures at once. They release a certain amount at predetermined dates. Hence the term "waves". They do this so they don't flood the market with too many to choose from. It helps sales as well since they want to sell as many as possible before the next wave.

Got pretty into Swap Force awhile back and got a good amount of figures. Then I realized it was hurting my wallet in terms of games I wanted to get later on. So I stopped and sold all of them except Star Strike since she has a special place in my heart (played her the most). I'm getting those Amiibos though.

same the Ambiibos are the only thing stopping me from getting anything else..basically because nintendo is something i know so much about and i love all the characters so its worth

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Won't get to play it right away, but this always ends up one of the boy child's Xmas gifts. So I'll be playing with him in a few months at the very least. We will be in for the Wii U version. Just wish that used the NFC chip instead.

Top Bottom