• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: The Evil Within

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-evil-within-performance-analysis

Resolution is the first order of business: the developer opts for an extra-wide aspect ratio, presumably in order to reduce the games' rendering load - though HUD elements are displayed in this region. Based on what's rendered inside the letterbox, however, we're left with a 1920x768 resolution on PlayStation 4 and a meagre 1600x640 on Xbox One. In effect, it's the now-familiar 1080p vs 900p set-up here, but the intrusive borders serve to cut-down actual rendering resolution significantly. Only 71 per cent of the screen's real estate is actually used for gameplay - and the aspect ratio utilised is actually a higher 2.5:1 rather than the 'cinematic' 2.35:1.

However, the main concern here is frame-rate - and first impressions are not great. The very first scene in which the player is given control is an appropriately foreboding moment, not just in terms of horror but also performance. Neither version manages to run consistently and the narrow field of view combined with jittery camera motion only serve to exacerbate the issue. The closest analogue would have to be the original console release of Resident Evil 6, where the camera feels much too close to the player while the frame-rate regularly dips below 30fps.

How far does it go? Unfortunately nearly every major sequence, particularly outdoors, is fraught with dips that interrupt the action, resulting in a jarring, jerky experience. Scenes not unlike Resident Evil 4's seminal village sequence see dips into the low 20s. The tight camera work and unsteady frame-rate lead to some incredibly off-putting moments. Thankfully, when the game does return to more enclosed tunnels the frame-rate tends to jump back to a more steady 30fps but, more often than not, the experience feels choppy and inconsistent.

What's worse, on Xbox One, it almost feels as if the renderer is out of sync with the game simulation. These particular issues don't appear in the performance metrics yet the issue is very much present. As a result, even when the game is rendering out 30fps, it sometimes feels worse than it should. To illustrate the issue, right-click, save as, and download this Xbox One clip, and compare it with this matched PlayStation 4 clip. Both games are rendering at a locked 30fps, but something's clearly very wrong with the Xbox One build. Looking at the numbers alone suggests that both versions produce similar performance metrics with some scenes even operating a touch smoother on Xbox One but, in practice, the Microsoft version feels worse, but ultimately, neither version feels particularly smooth during normal gameplay.

As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps. It is odd that certain scenes do operate with a slight advantage on Xbox One, however, and we'll have to play further to see how the game trends in later sections. Anyone sensitive to frame-rate issues is going to have an issue playing this game and should probably go for the PC version provided one has the specs to handle it.

If you're alarmed about buying the PC game based on Bethesda's alarmingly high recommended specs, at least we have some good news there. A 4GB graphics card doesn't seem to be required at all for 1080p gameplay, and we've run the game just fine on the mid-range GTX 760, while even the entry-level enthusiast GTX 750 Ti offers console-style frame-rates at 1080p on max settings. As for hitting a consistent 60fps - well, it's here that the unoptimised nature of the PC port becomes apparent: we'll have more on that in a later update.

Based on what's rendered inside the letterbox, however, we're left with a 1920x768 resolution on PlayStation 4 and a meagre 1600x640 on Xbox One.

That's pretty drastic.

Edit: Actually, that's a 30% drop, so it's in-line with expectations.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Be sure to check out the two clip downloads that I included. It highlights a severe issue with the way the game runs on Xbox One. It's very similar to the bug that plagued several Bethesda "Gamebryo" titles where the simulation runs at a different frame-rate than the renderer causing non-stop skipping. Looks absolutely dreadful while playing and makes the XO version feel as if it is always choppy. Only goes away during cutscenes, really.

Skyzard

Banned
I was hearing posts initially about how the xbox one might be performing better than PS4, but:

Based on what's rendered inside the letterbox, however, we're left with a 1920x768 resolution on PlayStation 4 and a meagre 1600x640 on Xbox One.

What's worse, on Xbox One, it almost feels as if the renderer is out of sync with the game simulation. These particular issues don't appear in the performance metrics yet the issue is very much present. As a result, even when the game is rendering out 30fps, it sometimes feels worse than it should.

PC version is nice and smooth, probably more what the creators had in mind.

As expected, the idea that the XB1 version outperformed PS4 represented wishful thinking / an abject inability to perceive frame rate.

Seems like a good game so far, but it certainly struggles technically (PS4). I can't help but think a relatively small developer (Tango) having to cook it up for five different formats has led to these issues being exacerbated considerably.

Jack cw

Wow. We all knew the framerate was terrible, but apparently DF make it sound as if the xbone version is unplayable with even way lower res... Shit job Tango.

dark10x

What a mess... I thought bringing id Software into the fold would improve engine tech at Bethesda.
Esoteric id Tech engine handed to a Japanese studio seems like a bad mix to me.

It worked well for Wolfenstein, though, and at least The Evil Within LOOKS really nice even if it runs poorly.

I'm playing it now on xbox one and I'm not seeing the choppiness that I see in the video. Are they using debug kits?
No. Retail units.

Try it again with your copy. I'd be surprised if you couldn't see it.

jett

D-Member
Only 71 per cent of the screen's real estate is actually used for gameplay - and the aspect ratio utilised is actually a higher 2.5:1 rather than the 'cinematic' 2.35:1.

The cinematic expert employed by Mikami clearly does not know shit.

I'm not so worried about performance troubles for this game, I just want to play it. Hopefully they can improve performance over time.

Raptor

I mean what the fuck, compare this with Mordor and is more embarassing.

Jesus Christ, there is no way in hell I will buy it at $60.

Nemesis_

I have it on good authority that the XBO/PS4 ports were not handled by Tango themselves but rather outsourced to an American studio, which might explain why they're poorer quality than what might be expected?

ymmv

Banned
As it stands the results aren't looking great for either console but the PS4 version takes the lead for the moment with its higher resolution and smoother update when running at 30fps.

For the moment ...? Do they actually think there's a chance the Xbox One version to come ahead of the PS4 version after a patch?

dark10x

I have it on good authority that the XBO/PS4 ports were not handled by Tango themselves but rather outsourced to an American studio, which might explain why they're poorer quality than what might be expected?
What are you talking about? The PC version was outsourced. These are the originals. The PS4 version has always been the version shown off to the press.

The PS3/360 versions of the game are much MUCH worse.

For the moment ...? Do they actually think there's a chance the Xbox One version to come ahead of the PS4 version after a patch?
Well, who knows, but the frame-rate often averages just a bit higher on XO. It's the weird frame skipping issue that really holds it back.

Empty

hope they cover the last gen versions. curious as to whether i should just wait till i get a current gen system or buy on ps3.

Qassim

while even the entry-level enthusiast GTX 750 Ti offers console-style frame-rates at 1080p on max settings

The 750Ti coming up strong over and over again. It's quite an impressive card for the price and power consumption.

Wasp

Considering the hardware it's running on, this is easily one of the most technically inept videogames ever created.

gdt

The framerate is hella choppy in the PS4 version. Specifically in the very first time you get control. But since then I've gotten used to it I guess.

Loving the game, but the framerate is a problem. I can deal with the black bars, BUT combined with the close FOV make is a much bigger problem than if the camera was pulled back a bit.

Be sure to check out the two clip downloads that I included. It highlights a severe issue with the way the game runs on Xbox One. It's very similar to the bug that plagued several Bethesda "Gamebryo" titles where the simulation runs at a different frame-rate than the renderer causing non-stop skipping. Looks absolutely dreadful while playing and makes the XO version feel as if it is always choppy. Only goes away during cutscenes, really.

ew!

nynt9

lol @ the people in the OT who were claiming the Xbox One version runs way smoother than the PS4 version.

I'm on PC and I want to use the 60fps fix but I still can't bring myself to do so if it will break the physics and other mechanics of the game. I wish someone could come out with a final stance on this.

jacobeid

Banned
Can't wait for id tech 5 to die. I had a ton of trouble with Wolfenstein on my PC (AMD drivers suddenly caused BSOD every few minutes. I bought TEW on PS4 to avoid those issues but to be honest I did expect a solid 30fps.

Haven’t checked much out for this game but even from watching the advert it looked quite choppy from what I saw.

Gonna keep an eye out on this though as it looks like it could be a good game if you can get it cheap.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm enjoying the game a lot but it's a technical mess. Wildly inconsistent visuals and anytime fire is on screen performance tanks. Idtech5+real time lighting is a match made in hell.

Jack cw

Pathetic.

The developers of this game should be punished. I just hope it tanks.

Well, its actually a 1080p(ps4) and 900p (xbone) picture, but only 70% of the image (768 and 640) are filled with information. Still, the performance is beyond shit. Idtech5 shouldn't run like shit when the whole game is cross gen.

Top Bottom