• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: The Evil Within

Well... glad I didn't bite, but I was so looking forward to this game. Goddamn, this generation until now has been a goddamn disappointment but today Legend of Grimrock 2 comes out so all's good (and god bless Nintendo).

Ateron

Be sure to check out the two clip downloads that I included. It highlights a severe issue with the way the game runs on Xbox One. It's very similar to the bug that plagued several Bethesda "Gamebryo" titles where the simulation runs at a different frame-rate than the renderer causing non-stop skipping. Looks absolutely dreadful while playing and makes the XO version feel as if it is always choppy. Only goes away during cutscenes, really.

So I'm guessing it feels like TLoU Remastered with the 30 fps "lock", no?
That game always seemed extra choppy with the lock on, while other 30fps games run smoothly. It's still odd that it's happening on the x1, I like the game and art direction, some nice lighting and touches here and there but it's not exactly the most demanding game ever, so it should be able to run smoothly. Ditto for the ps4. I can't understand this game. The bars are there for performance reasons, I reckon. So the game should have enough headroom to run at a better fps. Yet, it doesn't.

I would accept 30fps with no bars, or 60 with bars. Seems like badly optimized across the board. But for what is worth, I'm loving my time with the game. Sure, performance could and should be better, but I would compare this to Dragon's Dogma: wonky fps, black bars, performance problems and pop ins here and there, yet overall, an amazing game. In the end, that's what matters.

malfcn

Reported day one patch on Xbox One 7.5gb.
I had 117mb,what happened there?

The first scene with the over head shot felt really bad. I've gotten used to the fps, but every now and then it gets really noticeable with drops. Chapter 3,the lightning a causing dips.

Also, how do the cinematic bars in The Evil Within compare to The Order?

gdt

iDTech5 with a japanese dev was never gonna work. And apparently heavily modified for 30fps too.

Xater

Seeing it broken down like this really doesn't make me want to play this. This is just some shockingly bad performance.

Did the reviews mention this? The only place I saw (well hear) mention it was Giantbomb.

I think Metro also pointed it out.

Skyzard

Banned
The game is pretty impressive visually, not all the time and all aspects, but it really comes together and there are quite a few great effects. I'm pleased.

lol @ the people in the OT who were claiming the Xbox One version runs way smoother than the PS4 version.

I'm on PC and I want to use the 60fps fix but I still can't bring myself to do so if it will break the physics and other mechanics of the game. I wish someone could come out with a final stance on this.

I haven't noticed any weird issues with 60fps thankfully!

I'm on chapter 4 so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I'm guessing it feels like TLoU Remastered with the 30 fps "lock", no?
That game always seemed extra choppy with the lock on, while other 30fps games run smoothly. It's still odd that it's happening on the x1, I like the game and art direction, some nice lighting and touches here and there but it's not exactly the most demanding game ever, so it should be able to run smoothly. Ditto for the ps4. I can't understand this game. The bars are there for performance reasons, I reckon. So the game should have enough headroom to run at a better fps. Yet, it doesn't.

I would accept 30fps with no bars, or 60 with bars. Seems like badly optimized across the board. But for what is worth, I'm loving my time with the game. Sure, performance could and should be better, but I would compare this to Dragon's Dogma: wonky fps, black bars, performance problems and pop ins here and there, yet overall, an amazing game. In the end, that's what matters.
Nope. TLoU Remastered delivered an even set of frames at 30 fps. This is much worse.

Wait, are you the one writing these articles?
Obviously not all of them. I did this one, though, and the recent Ryse one.

UnrealEck

This deserves to flop. Especially with all the other games out recently and coming out. People should invest their money elsewhere and refuse to put up with these technically inept developers.

drotahorror

Guess I should be thankful I can play this at a locked 30 with no fluctuation on PC.

Hopefully both console versions get patched well enough to knock these framerate drops out.

Thrakier

One word: Unbelievable.

No one, really no one, should support such a product. Games like these shouldn't be released. Vote with your wallet.

THEaaron

I had to think of all those Xbox One version seems to run better posts in the OT.

Gosh how many people with framerate blindness are here?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

No one, really no one, should support such a product. Games like these shouldn't be released. Vote with your wallet.
For the sake of your sanity never ever play this game. I don't think you could take it. The narrow FOV and bad frame-rate could prove deadly.

Jack cw

Did the reviews mention this? The only place I saw (well hear) mention it was Giantbomb.

Some of them mentioned a choppy framerate at times but no outlet went so far as DF of course. Seeing the results here is pretty shocking, because both console versions (PS4 and xbone) are terribly ported and the latter actually broken.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Usually I'm pretty sensitive to frame rate but I haven't noticed much on my xbox one copy, just finished chapter 2.

jacobeid

Banned
I don't know whether to keep playing or wait for more patches. I don't feel *as* bad buying on day one since I have 90-day price protection through my discover card and I suspect we'll see this drop to $30-$40 on Black Friday somewhere.

Kind of wish I bought the PC version. Couldn't be any worse than PS4.

Mupod

lol @ the people in the OT who were claiming the Xbox One version runs way smoother than the PS4 version.

I'm on PC and I want to use the 60fps fix but I still can't bring myself to do so if it will break the physics and other mechanics of the game. I wish someone could come out with a final stance on this.

What's this about broken physics? I've been at 60fps since the start and haven't noticed anything odd at all.

Anyways, all those posts in the system requirements thread about cancelling their PC preorders and going with console are slightly more funny now.

Skyzard

Banned
This deserves to flop. Especially with all the other games out recently and coming out. People should invest their money elsewhere and refuse to put up with these technically inept developers.

I understand how annoying it is to have shitty game performance. It's almost the worst.

Not that I've played this on a console yet.

But I think it's obvious the game is lovingly made, lots of attention to detail, great designs and wonderful atmosphere.

Take it easy guys :p

It doesn't break anything.. I've used up to chapter 10 with no issues. The one time I did uncap it completely and was getting 110+ fps in an indoor area I did have some issues though. 60fps is fine.

Yes, I did as well as many other did because you have to put in consideration that there was another patch that got uploaded to the PS servers recently which is why DF state that it's smoother AFTER the patch. X1 version on day 1 had a whopping 7.5GB update of god knows what lol. Anyways, nobody was doubting that the PS4 version is the better ver out of the console, that's for sure.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The technical issues just solidified it. I enjoy survival horror games but I'm not a 'huge' fan, so much other stuff coming right now anyway.

I feel the same way. Unless I am very hyped for the game, frequent sub-30fps is pretty much a deal breaker this gen.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Reported day one patch on Xbox One 7.5gb.
I had 117mb,what happened there?

The first scene with the over head shot felt really bad. I've gotten used to the fps, but every now and then it gets really noticeable with drops. Chapter 3,the lightning a causing dips.

Also, how do the cinematic bars in The Evil Within compare to The Order?

One is for disc another for digital. Think the disc was 117mb one.

Capped at 60 on PC I saw major frame pacing issues. Interesting to hear the Xbox One is having them too. I've been playing with the frame rate capped at 120hz and using ULMB and that's been giving me the smoothest experience.

No gsync is a pain though after coming from Ryse and Dead Rising 3 which have similar performance but which both really shine with gsync.

The game is still Mikami brilliance, but his work is suffering from not being backed by the technical excellence of Capcom, that's for sure.

No regrets here though. I hope the technical situation can be improved, but I'm loving the game all the same.

shandy706

Ewwwww

I'm not a framerate pusher, but this just sounds like horrid optimization through and through. The game isn't that great looking either.

It sounds like the PC version just manages 30fps at 1080p too (I'd expect a bit more on a 750 Ti/760 in this game....hmmm.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Mikami... how deep the Japanese legends are falling...

3931001-6323123951-dean%2B.gif

THEaaron

Read my post at the top.

I was confused by those posts as well. No one really gave information about the version of the game (does Xbox One has an patchlog like the ps4?)

And there was a small update (1.01) as well on the ps4.

Maybe they release another patch in the future.

Gurish

Damn i feel bad for people who've cancelled their PS4 order and switched over to XB1 because they believed it runs better, never trust anecdotal evidence.

Not that PS4 version is too good, but XB1's version sounds like a real mess.

Lucky PC owners will probably get everything fixed but even if not, it's already the best version.

What a technical mess this game is.

gfdoom

Here's a wild and crazy thought...why don't some of you guys actually play the game for yourself or actually see it in person and then judge it? Despite the negative stuff stated in the DF article, maybe the game is actually playable for some of you folk? the point is, if you're interested in playing a game, then by all means do so. Don't let technical jargon sway you into skipping out :)

Jack cw

This has to be the worst running current gen game on consoles so far. Wonder who handled all those versions. Tango in Japan or some team in the west with Bethesda. I really want to buy the game, but with that performance, the immersion will suffer pretty hard.

Top Bottom