• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance Analysis: The Evil Within

I'm playing the xbox one version at the moment, it isn't the greatest looking game and does suffer suffer some technical issues, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be and it definitely is more than playable. Fair enough if people are put off purchasing it though.

Jobbs

Banned
Mikami... how deep the Japanese legends are falling...

3931001-6323123951-dean%2B.gif

what are you guys talking about? I've never heard such overdramatics.

I'm playing on PS4 and find the game to not only be awesome in general, but to look great -- and while there are a few jitters in the framerate in particular parts, generally speaking it feels like a stable 30. I could hardly be more pleased. You guys need to take a chill pill!

Didn't expect such a messy work on the X1 version :/

Seems that both versions have their issues. The only clear advantage here is resolution (PS4), if I had to pick something.
The X1 update was day one? If not, Is it possible DF began testing without the patch?

I was confused by those posts as well. No one really gave information about the version of the game (does Xbox One has an patchlog like the ps4?)

And there was a small update (1.01) as well on the ps4.

Maybe they release another patch in the future.

That's the problem, it doesn't. Which makes things confusing when one wants to share information and all at the time being. I know for a fact the PS4 had a small update then another small update very recent. The X1 version so far had only a day 1 update to my knowledge with conflicting reports some stating(me included) 7.5GB and some 117mb lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seems that both versions have their issues. The only clear advantage here is resolution, if I had to pick something.
The X1 update was day one? If not, Is it possible DF began testing without the patch?
No, it's not possible. Latest version was used for both.

Anteater

damn, that sounds terrible, good to hear some mid range cards will run it decently on pc at 30fps so I'll give it a try, although don't seem to scale too well for higher end (interms of framerate), so hopefully there'll be some patches.

Jack cw

I'm playing on PS4 and find the game to not only be awesome in general, but to look great -- and while there are a few jitters in the framerate in particular parts, generally speaking it feels like a stable 30. I could hardly be more pleased. You guys need to take a chill pill!

The feel of 30 fps wont sell me on that game. I dont want to sacrifice immersion because of shitty performance. The price Bethesda is asking for the PS4 version is way to much to buy such a badly treated port. A pretty mediocre looking game like that which is aimed at cross gen visuals, should give me a bit more for the money.

Seanspeed

Banned

Some people are more sensitive to this stuff than others.

Like some have said - vote with your wallet. Unfortunately for some, they forget that this can go two ways. ;)

THEaaron

That's the problem, it doesn't. Which makes things confusing when one wants to share information and all at the time being. I know for a fact the PS4 had a small update then another small update very recent. The X1 version so far had only a day 1 update to my knowledge with conflicting reports some stating(me included) 7.5GB and some 117mb lol.

Got the PS4 version about 3 or 4 days before official release and it immediately downloaded a small patch. It stated memory and performance improvements but this was the only patch I got.

Bl@de

shandy706 said:
It sounds like the PC version just manages 30fps at 1080p too....hmmm.

Why do people keep saying that everywhere? Gaf, Steam, ... (not only directed at shandy706).
Unlocking the game takes a minute and it runs at 45-60fps for me. No hiccups. No crashes. Great Controls. Bethesda gave the console commands the second after the game was released and entering them is totally easy.

Yeah the graphics and performance are not great but everything else is perfectly fine. People just throw stuff around them in drive-by posts. But there are is no texture loading during the gameplay.
A problem Rage and Wolfenstein had.

It's not a great port by any means but it's not terrible. The console performance sucks, yeah. Welp... But I don't talk about those versions

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One year into the life cycle and the new consoles have already reached their limit. Can't even maintain a steady framerate at sub-900p resolutions? Thanks, Sony.

Artex

Banned
Shame this is held back by its technical shortcomings. I guess I'll play it on the cheap some day or RedBox it.

berzeli

Banned
and the aspect ratio utilised is actually a higher 2.5:1 rather than the 'cinematic' 2.35:1

The cinematic expert employed by Mikami clearly does not know shit.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Artistic choice, amirite.

FYI, a lot of films described as 2.35:1 aren't actually in that aspect ratio (especially if they're shot on something like Todd AO). There exist many many differing widescreen/scope formats that aren't 2.35:1 but are listed as such on sites like imdb.

No idea if the aspect ratio employed by this game is due to technical limitations or artistic choice, but implying that the 2.5:1 aspect isn't cinematic (i.e used by films) is factually wrong.

UnrealEck

I understand how annoying it is to have shitty game performance. It's almost the worst.

Not that I've played this on a console yet.

But I think it's obvious the game is lovingly made, lots of attention to detail, great designs and wonderful atmosphere.

Take it easy guys :p

Oh I'm not saying the game is bad. I can't say because I haven't played it. I'm sure it's a good game outside the technical stupidity.
But the reason I haven't played it is because of the technical ineptitude.
I don't think a game is worth buying full price if it's this technically flawed.

One year into the life cycle and the new consoles have already reached their limit. Can't even maintain a steady framerate at sub-900p resolutions? Thanks, Sony.
This game is a mess. I don't think it's entirely fair to say its the console hardware that's lacking.

SerTapTap

Definitely going to get this on PC...and after a price drop. I hope this, sleepydogs and FFXIII PC are just individual blunders, some pretty shitty performance issues lately.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the PS360 versions, can't possibly bode well.

I'm loving the game despite the fact that 60fps isn't rock solid on PC. Though I haven't had dips below 45fps.

Chabbles

All this talk of low 20's is giving me flashbacks to late last gen games on the ps3...Its too soon for this shit on the new systems.. I got a dispatch email for a PS4 copy afew hours ago, no going back now. .. Whats the chances of this getting successfully patched to a solid 30 ?

antitrop

I always find it bizarre why tango would opt for an unfamiliar engine and not work with unreal or other 3rd party engines?

Tango Gameworks, like MachineGames, is owned by Zenimax. They didn't have a choice.

It cost a lot of money for Carmack to make that engine, and by God, they're gonna get more than just Rage out of it.

I don't know what's worse... Cinematic resolutions or cinematic framerates. This game has it all covered. Will buy on PC at some point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
All this talk of low 20's is giving me flashbacks to late last gen games on the ps3...Its too soon for this shit on the new systems.. I got a dispatch email for a PS4 copy afew hours ago, no going back now. .. Whats the chances of this getting successfully patched to a solid 30 ?
My guess? Zero.

The game looked much MUCH choppier at press events throughout the year. The game, as it is now, seems much smoother overall but still not smooth enough. They've clearly struggled with performance throughout development and were never able to actually solve the problems.

Don't know if you're being serious or not (I hope you aren't, yeesh) but this is clearly an issue on the developer's side, not the hardware's side.

Sotha_Sil

Why on earth did Tango try to modify iD Tech 5 so much? The other two games using that engine have run at a perfect framerate on PS3/360/PS4/X1. Now this game comes along and it's a technical disaster.

Fortunately, judging from people's feedback, it hasn't stopped many of them from enjoying the game.

IvorB

I think the Digital Foundry verdict will carry more weight than your anecdotal evidence.

shandy706

Why do people keep saying that everywhere? Gaf, Steam, ... (not only directed at shandy706).
Unlocking the game takes a minute and it runs at 45-60fps for me. No hiccups. No crashes. Great Controls. Bethesda gave the console commands the second after the game was released and entering them is totally easy.

Yeah the graphics and performance are not great but everything else is perfectly fine. People just throw stuff around them in drive-by posts. But there are is no texture loading during the gameplay.
A problem Rage and Wolfenstein had.

It's not a great port by any means but it's not terrible. The console performance sucks, yeah. Welp... But I don't talk about those versions

You need to go back to my edited post.

I was talking about a 750ti and 760 only managing console level performance at 1080p. I simply forgot to reference the cards, which made it look like I was making an all encompassing post. I'd expect even a 660 Ti to outperform the consoles, let alone a 750Ti+ card, if a game is well optimized.

Got the PS4 version about 3 or 4 days before official release and it immediately downloaded a small patch. It stated memory and performance improvements but this was the only patch I got.

Well, you have to go through the OT. There were people saying they got an update out of no where while playing lol. Also, Slasher has all 3 versions of the game so I guess he's a pretty good source if you have any question.

stn

Should I get this game if I don't care at all about resolution? When people say the game dips below 30FPS, does this mean it lags hard? I'd be getting the 360 version.

Liamario

Banned
Some people can tolerate sub 30 frames more than others. There's no denying that. It can't be denied that this isn't good enough in 2014. The graphic aren't exactly mind blowing and to not have a solid framerate isn't acceptable.

Respawn

Banned
Here's a wild and crazy thought...why don't some of you guys actually play the game for yourself or actually see it in person and then judge it? Despite the negative stuff stated in the DF article, maybe the game is actually playable for some of you folk? the point is, if you're interested in playing a game, then by all means do so. Don't let technical jargon sway you into skipping out :)
Is this a serious post? That's like giving Skyrim on PS3 a past because you know, we should try it. DF is an analysis of what we will get. If it's a mess then it's a mess. This isn't some small difference like textures or loading. Plus money doesn't appear in my couch after midnight.

Should I get this game if I don't care at all about resolution? When people say the game dips below 30FPS, does this mean it lags hard? I'd be getting the 360 version.

Framerate dipping is typically what people will call "lagging" in a single player game, yes.

I can only imagine the 360 version is even worse than PS4 and XBO. Maybe wait until Digital Foundry takes a look at those versions too.

This is why you don't get excited for new IPs

NO, this is what you get for using the ID Tech 5 engine. That thing was a mess in Rage and Wolfenstien and it's still a mess now. Though the 30 fps crap and the ratio were pisse poor design elements on Tango's part. Thankfully we don't have to worry about many games using it since ZeniMax pretty much said NO to anyone who wanted to license the engine unless it was an internal developer.

On PC you could just cap it at 45 or even 50 and it'll probably play fairly well.
I would, but I run high 50s to 60fps most of the time.

As long as it's fairly consistent like that and doesn't reach console performance, I'm happy enough.

That said, optimize that shit ASAP, Bethesda.

Be sure to check out the two clip downloads that I included. It highlights a severe issue with the way the game runs on Xbox One. It's very similar to the bug that plagued several Bethesda "Gamebryo" titles where the simulation runs at a different frame-rate than the renderer causing non-stop skipping. Looks absolutely dreadful while playing and makes the XO version feel as if it is always choppy. Only goes away during cutscenes, really.

UGH! I know EXACTLY what your talking about.

FUUUUUCK THAT!!!!

shit ruined Fallout3 on PC for me

>=(

Top Bottom