• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interviewed on Podcast Unlocked (45 Minutes), summary in OP

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/22/podcast-unlocked-episode-167-phil-spencer-interview

-Universal game preferences coming soon
-didn't have a MCC Xbox One bundle because they wanted to push Sunset
-Phil wasn't satisfied with Crackdown 2, thought it was rushed
-Phil says the announcement of Xbox One took a huge toll on team,i.e. bad response
-Ryan asks Phil how he would have handled Xbox One if he was in charge from the beginning, Phil says that he would've wanted the fan's feedback more, would have made it more gaming focused
-Xbox One hardware failure rate is significantly better than 360
-HDD size will probably increase in future
-Phil wants darker tone for Gears 4, more akin to Gears 1.
-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Rare is making something, pitching to Phil in a couple of weeks
-Wants Minecraft to be more connected, with pc,mobile and console
-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

That's pretty much the big things in the podcast.

Want to listen but not sure if I can handle 45 minutes of Podcast Unlocked. Mccaffrey is so terrible.

Can someone post bullet points?

Karak

I know its cool to hate Phil, or love him I guess, I know that I enjoy hearing him talk about games.

-Universal game preferences coming soon
-didn't have a MCC Xbox One bundle because they wanted to push Sunset
-Phil wasn't satisfied with Crackdown 2, thought it was rushed
-Phil says the announcement of Xbox One took a huge toll on team,i.e. bad response
-Ryan asks Phil how he would have handled Xbox One if he was in charge from the beginning, Phil says that he would've wanted the fan's feedback more, would have made it more gaming focused
-Xbox One hardware failure rate is significantly better than 360
-HDD size will probably increase in future
-Phil wants darker tone for Gears 4, more akin to Gears 1.
-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Rare is making something, pitching to Phil in a couple of weeks
-Wants Minecraft to be more connected, with pc,mobile and console
-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

That's pretty much the big things in the podcast.

Who is making the new Crackdown game anyway? I don't even know.

I believe the studio behind it is called Cloudgine?

http://www.cloudgine.com/projects.html

Crackdown for Xbox One

Cloudgine are delighted to announce that they are working with Microsoft on the upcoming title, Crackdown for Xbox One!

We are immensely excited about this project and the opportunity to create an entirely new experience in the Crackdown universe, one which we truly believe will set a new bar for open-world gaming.

Wait cloudgine is based in Scotland? 0_0

That surprises me. Wonder if they pulled any talent from Rockstar

Does Mccaffrey ask for a job again? Like, the dude pleaded to host Xbox's E3 conference and then I believe was sucking up to 343 for a community job during the MCC stream.

Karak

Ok now you dudes are making me WANT to check out Ryan simply because I don't know who he is and you all love him so dearly hahaha.

CLEEK

Wait cloudgine is based in Scotland? 0_0

That surprises me. Wonder if they pulled any talent from Rockstar

Why are you surprised? The original Crackdown was a Scottish game. David Jones' studio.

Edit: Cloudgine is David Jones new studio.

Edit2: Cloudgine's own website is full of shit. David Jones first games were Menace and Blood Money on the Amiga.

Dave launched his career in video games in 1991, when he wrote the classic and addictive puzzle game Lemmings at the same time forming leading European developer DMA Design (now Rockstar North). From that studio came highly original games including Uniracers and Grand Theft Auto. After the acquisition of DMA Design by Take-2, Dave formed Realtime Worlds, and spearheaded a new take on open world games with Crackdown for Microsoft for the as then new Xbox 360. Since then he has launched an early entry into the persistent world third person shooter category with APB and has just helped complete the launch of a new Action RPG game, Chronoblade, on Facebook. With Cloudgine, Dave is highly motivated to deliver amazing new experiences for gamers by leveraging the strengths of cloud compute

I sold Crackdown 2 so fast I got almost all my money back.

Spencer rocks. Only idiots think MS are paying for resolution parity. They should maybe get an MCC bundle out though.

Why are you surprised? The original Crackdown was a Scottish game. David Jones' studio.

Edit: Cloudgine is David Jones new studio.

Edit2: Cloudgine's own website is full of shit. David Jones first games were Menace and Blood Money on the Amiga.

Clearly did not know that. The more you know.

Although I guess I was right that the studio was somewhat related to Rockstar but much farther into the past

Gaf really doesn't know what happen early today huh lol

Sooooo like enlighten us then?

malfcn

He knows how to talk. Part of it is knowing your stuff.
I wish I could just speak and speak and speak without a flinch.

jbug617

Banned
Sorry if I made a mistake on anything

Install Times: talks about having the team testing installing 3rd party games this summer on PS4 compared to XB1 and why it takes so long. Phil says XDK is helping the publishers improve how the game installs

Screenshots: Phil said about 2 weeks ago the team found something that would make sense for screenshots but the are going to slow down on the updates for holidays because they don't want to break anything.

Universal Profile Settings- It's coming

Halo:MCC Special Edition Console: Talked about there was discussions about White Xbox One with Halo MCC. Talks about the difference between SE consoles and Bundles and says Bundles are easy to do. The decision to give White Console to Sunset Overdrive was because it's a new IP so it could stand out. Also to show Insomniac that they were behind them and believed in them.

Halo: MCC Special Edition Game: The reason why they didn't do a bigger package because he didn't want to milk the fans to buy an expensive set. They are pushing the value and how much care they took into making the collection

Phil also talked about MS cranking up Crackdown 2 too quickly. He said that the fans noticed that and he doesn't want that happen again. Taking a long term view on things instead of a quick cash in.

Halo:MCC Sales Projections- Codename for the collection was Ace. Phil says he thinks it will beat their internal sales projections.

Talks about the job: Phil loves the job. The team is his motivation. Said last year at E3 (2013) took a big toll on some of the internal team. Says after E3 2014 the team feels rejuvenated.

Phil talks about him being the one in charge of Fable and BC and how MS first party could never ship a game in time. He said the first party team are on the cusp on some announcements.

Talks about him being part of the team when designing the original vision of Xbox One. Says he doesn't want to make it seem that he is washing his hands of those decisions because he was there. He said he would lose credibility if he tried to deny that. He said the misstep was that they tried to push entertainment before the games and that was wrong. He said he believes in the entertainment but games should come first.

Ryan asks about console specs and if Phil would of pushed more for a stronger box. Phil said it would be easy to say yes but he really doesn't know because he doesn't know what was the trade off the hardware team.

seems like there might be more 1TB skus next year.

Talks about Inside. Phil says it's up to their developer if they want to show something.

Talks about the next Gears. Apologizes for that RT last week says it was an accident The code name for the first Gears was named Warfare. Wants to see a darker game like the first Gears.

First Party (Internal and External) are working on new IPs. Ryan talks about how the 360 at the end had a cycle with Gears, Halo and Forza. Also Phil says he doesn't need another space military shooter or racing game (first party).

Talks about Rare. Phil is going to see them in a couple of weeks to take a pitch on their new game. Says doesn't want Rare to be seen as the Kinect Sports team and even mentions other studios could make Kinect Sports. Says he wants Rare to do a new IP.

Mojang was a Xbox team deal. Talks about trying to unify the different versions of Minecraft (PC, Mobile and Console).

Thanks for the summary jbug617. Interesting stuff in there. Pre-orders must be good for Halo MCC then. Great to hear considering the value of it

In regards to install times, how does that work on the X1? Is like PS4 where you insert disc and can start playing within a couple of minutes?

Also, when he talks about screenshots, does that mean you can't take screenshots on the X1? I thought you could.

RE_Player

Talks about him being part of the team when designing the original vision of Xbox One. Says he doesn't want to make it seem that he is washing his hands of those decisions because he was there. He said he would lose credibility if he tried to deny that. He said the misstep was that they tried to push entertainment before the games and that was wrong. He said he believes in the entertainment but games should come first.
I think that was the least of the missteps they took with the whole Xbox One original vision.

Yeah. I wouldn't recommend it, the install time is already slow. It just takes up more time IMO

So is it best to let the game fully install first before actually launching it? More or less how are the install times?

Also, interesting info about bundles vs. special edition boxes.

the interview guy saying phantom dust of all things PFFT you'll see how good that game is buddy! lol

but yeah that was a pretty interesting interview

also it sounds like the studios have tons of freedom to do whatever they want and he'll see what rare has slim their choices down too

RE_Player

Rare is still pitching a new game?
If they are still in the phase of pitching ideas before going into full development we won't hear from them for awhile.

Also it's safe to say Rare won't make another Kinect Sports because the last one flopped commercially and critically and Microsoft as a whole is getting away from Kinect development.

I hope we see a new IP from Rare but in the vain of the original Banjo.

Bsigg12

Rare is still pitching a new game?

In an interview a couple weeks back with some random Xbox YouTube channel, he said he likes giving studios an extended period to really develop their idea before he takes a look at it so he can see what they're vision is before the suits step in.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
i'm sorry, but after listening to that interview, i don't feel like i know anything new.

but i'll wait for GAF to over-analyze EVERYTHING.

xo

Top Bottom