• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interviewed on Podcast Unlocked (45 Minutes), summary in OP

rrc1594

So is it best to let the game fully install first before actually launching it? More or less how are the install times?

Also, interesting info about bundles vs. special edition boxes.

I would let them install. I haven't brought disc game since launch, so almost a year. If I had to go off of that like 30-60 mins it could take. It could of changed

So is it best to let the game fully install first before actually launching it? More or less how are the install times?

Also, interesting info about bundles vs. special edition boxes.

Installs take an hour or two for me. Depending on size of game. Like I just downloaded Live 15. I think it was an hour plus before I had access to the main menu when it finished.

Zukkoyaki

I like Ryan McCaffrey but I found him really annoying in this interview.

With that being said, Phil Spencer is a class act. Great dude who you can tell really has a vision and is sticking to it.

His statements about Gears and what Rare is up to have me very optimistic about the Xbox One down the road. I'm sure I'll own one eventually!

Hindle

Banned
"Phil talks about him being the one in charge of Fable and BC and how MS first party could never ship a game in time. He said the first party team are on the cusp on some announcements"

I don't think thier first party will be announcing new games, as they're pretty much all accounted for.

So what could this mean?

New studios being announced, or another acquisition?

Leflus

I could see Twisted Pixel announcing a new game at VGX later this year. It' almost been a year since Lococycle was released.

Zukkoyaki

Most of their smaller teams are unaccounted for.

Lift London, TP, Good Science, etc.

Not to mention Phil Spencer constantly drives home, including in this interview, that they treat pretty much any project that they fund and publish as a first party title. This means they could have almost anything up their sleeves.

Bizzquik

I want to hear about software improvements to the HDMI input.

I want to have (next to) zero lag running my PS4 or PC through my Xbox One. That would get me excited.

Hindle

Banned
I could see Twisted Pixel announcing a new game at VGX later this year. It' almost been a year since Lococycle was released.

TP are one. Lift London I don't think are involved in Xbox, more PC.

Edit. LXP being formerly revealed as a new studio?

Want to listen but not sure if I can handle 45 minutes of Podcast Unlocked. Mccaffrey is so terrible.

Can someone post bullet points?

45 minutes of this...

IIbonrU.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Unified Minecraft sounds fantastic. If you can have persistent servers and visit them from any canvas it would be great.

arhra

The launch games and the games that shipped in the first few months had awful install times, partially thanks to the 180 on the always-on implementation, so their install code wasn't as polished as it should be because they had to retool to allow for working in an offline environment, etc. IIRC Ryse took something like 15m before it was "playable" (which in their case meant... you could stare at a menu screen that wouldn't let you progress any further), and something like 45m to be fully installed.

Things have definitely improved since those early days, though.

The most recent disc-based games I've bought were Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs back in May, which were both playable within a couple of minutes, and Destiny, which had a really stupid implementation where you could launch it after a minute, but then it just showed you an install screen telling you how far along the install was. Everything else I've bought recently has been digital, so I can't really comment on install times.

One thing to bear in mind if you're coming from the PS4 is that the way it displays install progress is different - the PS4 shows a progress bar that only covers the initial install necessary before you can play, then the rest is handled silently in the background, while the XB1 has a progress bar that covers the entire install process, with it giving you a notification when it hits the point when it's playable, which varies by game. So even if a game took exactly the same time to hit the playable point, I think that implementation makes it feel slower than the PS4.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I would let them install. I haven't brought disc game since launch, so almost a year. If I had to go off of that like 30-60 mins it could take. It could of changed

Wait what?????? That bad? I knew people were complaining about install times on the Xbox One but I never imagined that long....jezzzzz...the PS4 is a breeze in comparison. Like a major difference.

amardilo

-Universal game preferences coming soon
-didn't have a MCC Xbox One bundle because they wanted to push Sunset
-Phil wasn't satisfied with Crackdown 2, thought it was rushed
-Phil says the announcement of Xbox One took a huge toll on team,i.e. bad response
-Ryan asks Phil how he would have handled Xbox One if he was in charge from the beginning, Phil says that he would've wanted the fan's feedback more, would have made it more gaming focused
-Xbox One hardware failure rate is significantly better than 360
-HDD size will probably increase in future
-Phil wants darker tone for Gears 4, more akin to Gears 1.
-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Rare is making something, pitching to Phil in a couple of weeks
-Wants Minecraft to be more connected, with pc,mobile and console
-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

That's pretty much the big things in the podcast.

Thanks for doing that.

Some good things in there. I like a lot of what he said in there but some things are a bit of a downer.

I testing download speeds with the PS4 and their own console is good but I also hope they test with other services like Steam and some non-gaming services like Google Play and Apple's App Store (I know sometime those services aren't the best but it gives a wider sample size).

Also the thing about Rare pitching to Phil sounds like whatever Rare are doing could still be canned, I hope it's not and focused on core gamers and doesn't use Kinect as the primary input device (it can be OK for little extra things like the way Forza Horizon uses it).

The other thing that made me sad was that it says had Phil been in charge he would have made the console more gamer focused. If that meant a console being more powerful then that really makes me wish he had more power than he did back then.

sam777

Wait what?????? That bad? I knew people were complaining about install times on the Xbox One but I never imagined that long....jezzzzz...the PS4 is a breeze in comparison. Like a major difference.

Depends on the game and when you get it?
Because some games have updates and it will install those first leaving the download at 0% but if they don't then the install times are long, FIFA took me 10-15 mins although it isn't the biggest game. Although you can start playing most games while it is installing.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Depends on the game and when you get it?
Because some games have updates and it will install those first leaving the download at 0% but if they don't then the install times are long, FIFA took me 10-15 mins although it isn't the biggest game. Although you can start playing most games while it is installing.

Well I think 10-15 is manageable. Half an hour/ 1 hour. Hell no. Get that fixed for sure Phil.

malfcn

Hai guyz.

This was much better than the weekly qa that was a bunch of nothing.
Listening to the podcast was entertaining. There was some nice back and forth, and not all of the questions were soft balls. Some of them pushed the line a little bit, and that was refreshing.

Raist

Banned
-Ryan asks Phil how he would have handled Xbox One if he was in charge from the beginning, Phil says that he would've wanted the fan's feedback more, would have made it more gaming focused

Was his internet connection broken after the reveal or something?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
After the reveal? The topic of online DRM and the wishes for a powerful console was a topic for months before the reveal because of the leaks.

Good interview Ryan! Some good stuff in there.

I doubt he made those DRM decisions, seems like Mattick and Whitten did that and Phil couldn't soeak against it publicly since they were his bosses.

I'm not saying Phil wasn't partly responsible for some of the bad decisions in designing the Xbox One, but I remember listening to I think it was Pachter talking about Don Mattrick and how he would go into meetings with an iron fist and write on a white board the ideas he wanted and would not take "no/we can't do that/that's a bad idea/maybe we shouldn't/we don't know how" for an answer but only wanted to hear how they could get done.

I think it's pretty clear that all the dumb as hell decisions coming from the Xbox team from late-360 years to pre-Xbox One reveal came from Mattrick and now they're still trying to undo those policies.

I'll see if I can try and find that video, it might have been a Pach Attack episode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I doubt he made those DRM decisions, seems like Mattick and Whitten did that and Phil couldn't soeak against it publicly since they were his bosses.

I do not believe he was crying himself to sleep over that... Also, he is the boss now and does not spend a line about online DRM in the "things we did badly" section. He was more than OK with their original vision and they will try to bring it back.

Still, MS is doing a good job with maintaining more open communication with press and fans now, same thing with Fe updates where the hypervisor strategy is paying off in spades... I still wonder why Sony did not go in a similar direction: not having a huge multipurpose OS pairing the Game OS, but keeping them both separated and virtualized and making sure they still had their performance advantage (mostly a CPU issue, hence MS late clock speed increase).

Bobnob

Sorry if I made a mistake on anything

First Party (Internal and External) are working on new IPs. Ryan talks about how the 360 at the end had a cycle with Gears, Halo and Forza. Also Phil says he doesn't need another space military shooter or racing game (first party).

Does this mean no new Forza, am i reading this right ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good interview Ryan! Some good stuff in there.

I'm not saying Phil wasn't partly responsible for some of the bad decisions in designing the Xbox One, but I remember listening to I think it was Pachter talking about Don Mattrick and how he would go into meetings with an iron fist and write on a white board the ideas he wanted and would not take "no/we can't do that/that's a bad idea/maybe we shouldn't/we don't know how" for an answer but only wanted to hear how they could get done.

I think it's pretty clear that all the dumb as hell decisions coming from the Xbox team from late-360 years to pre-Xbox One reveal came from Mattrick and now they're still trying to undo those policies.

I'll see if I can try and find that video, it might have been a Pach Attack episode.

I do not buy the vision of Mattrick imposing the online DRM bit against a silent sad majority of MS decision makers who hated the idea... Considering they are still beating the "you guys were just not ready... If you only allowed us to explain it..." drum.

DryvBy

-Universal game preferences coming soon
-didn't have a MCC Xbox One bundle because they wanted to push Sunset
-Phil wasn't satisfied with Crackdown 2, thought it was rushed
-Phil says the announcement of Xbox One took a huge toll on team,i.e. bad response
-Xbox One hardware failure rate is significantly better than 360
-HDD size will probably increase in future
-Phil wants darker tone for Gears 4, more akin to Gears 1.
-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Wants Minecraft to be more connected, with pc,mobile and console
-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

That's pretty much the big things in the podcast.

I'd hope they have that under control. That's the reason I twitched from being a huge Xbox fan was having so many 360s break on me.

Alx

I think that was the least of the missteps they took with the whole Xbox One original vision.

Indeed. They had a strong game lineup from the beginning. Games never were an issue.

45 minutes of this...

I'm missing something. What is the Hollowman reference?

Same question, I see Miles mentioning Hollow Man all the time (usually about the screenshot feature) ; is it about empty promises ?

"From the beginning" goes way further back than the reveal or the first leaks, he was asked if he would have changed something if he was in charge when they started designing the console. That was probably 2010 or earlier.

I do not believe he was crying himself to sleep over that... Also, he is the boss now and does not spend a line about online DRM in the "things we did badly" section. He was more than OK with their original vision and they will try to bring it back.

The "original vision" never really left, the only thing that really changed is that gamers using physical disks are out of it. Like most publishers they consider digital distribution is the future, the DRM plan was just a transition phase considering part of the market wasn't ready yet (internet access, bandwidth limitations etc). But the end result will be the same.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, chances are, they are working on Banjo-Threeie, Phil sees it and says "nah" and gone is Banjo-Threeie? I so hope a Banjo-Threeie will see the light of the day.

Alx

The Rare line is more than familiar by the way, it seems like every time he's asked about them, he answers "I don't know anything, but I'm just about to go see them in a few days...". Convenient answer.

Raist

Banned
"From the beginning" goes way further back than the reveal or the first leaks, he was asked if he would have changed something if he was in charge when they started designing the console. That was probably 2010 or earlier.

That's a weird interpretation of that line, especially since I doubt they'd want fan feedback when the console is in extremely early stages and thus unknown but to just a few.
Regardless, there was tons of feedback that they completely ignored. He's still going along the "you guys didn't understand / weren't ready / there wasn't enough discussion" lines that were heard from others at MS like Medhi.

Guerrilla

Same question, I see Miles mentioning Hollow Man all the time (usually about the screenshot feature) ; is it about empty promises ?

I think it's kind of a joke he is trying to establish. Didn't catch on yet I think, but that's not due to lack of exposure by him ;)

Alx

That's a weird interpretation of that line, especially since I doubt they'd want fan feedback when the console is in extremely early stages and thus unknown but to just a few.
Regardless, there was tons of feedback that they completely ignored. He's still going along the "you guys didn't understand / weren't ready / there wasn't enough discussion" lines that were heard from others at MS like Medhi.

Well that's his answer anyway. Actually I agree with what someone else posted earlier, Phil Spencer has a tendency to tell people what they want to hear. Which is probably a quality for his position, and one of the reasons most people like him (me included). He's good at communication, and being in tune with others to find the right words, even when the meaning is the same.

See for example the evolution between last E3s :

MS : "thanks to the power of the cloud..."
Internet feedback : "booh, bullshit, impossible, do they think we're stupid ?..."

MS : "thanks to our many dedicated servers..."
Internet feedback : "finally, way to go, they listened..."

Same thing, different words, people are happy. Magic.

Top Bottom