• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interviewed on Podcast Unlocked (45 Minutes), summary in OP

I don't share Phil's desire for a new IP from Rare when they have such a rich catalog to work with right now. I hope they are working on multiple projects (as Phil Harrison says) and that one of them is Banjo (and the others are Conker and Viva Piñata).

I disagree. In the 360 era they had new IP like viva pinata, kameo and Kinect sports. When they brought back old IP they failed miserably. PDZ was a mess even for a launch game. Banjo Nuts and bolts wasn't received well at all.

Rare does pretty good with new IP in recent days but has a bit of trouble bringing back its classics. Lets have more killer instinct situations where we bring in other studios to manage those franchises and let rare bring in some new ideas.

I still think Banjo Nuts and Bolts was a good game.

Sydle

I disagree. In the 360 era they had new IP like viva pinata, kameo and Kinect sports. When they brought back old IP they failed miserably. PDZ was a mess even for a launch game. Banjo Nuts and bolts wasn't received well at all.

Rare does pretty good with new IP in recent days but has a bit of trouble bringing back its classics. Lets have more killer instinct situations where we bring in other studios to manage those franchises and let rare bring in some new ideas.

I still think Banjo Nuts and Bolts was a good game.

I...don't disagree with anything you said. That's great perspective. : )

I thought Showdown Town in N&B was brilliant and couldn't help but think what the game would have been like had they applied the same principles of it to each world. Specifically, the way they made you explore for parts and notes on foot before you could improve your vehicle to access more of the stage. If they made you build a new unique vehicle per world then they would have put way more thought into the on-foot platforming and exploration so it felt rewarding to finally access another part of the level with your vehicle. I want that game so very much.

JaggedSac

Right, so after looking it up Ballmer announced one million in 2013.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...than-google-but-more-than-amazon-says-ballmer

So I have no idea what's up with that 11M now. I doubt it went up 10x in a year.

Regardless, I've given detailed figure for compute capacities, and it's quite clear that the "4x more powerful" was utter nonsense. Right now they'd need over 2,000 petaflops, just to cover the number of XB1 CPUs out there.

Not sure what to tell ya dude. They announced 11 million a couple days ago.

I never said anything about the whole 4X comment either. Just correcting your numbers. Correcting to what was put out there by Ars from a MS Azure conference.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
That might not be Rare....

Gregg Mayles still works at Rare, you know, the lead developer of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie. I doubt he'd want to give that to anyone else. Even though he would probably prefer to make GbtG, Banjo is his baby and I'm sure (but have no info on this), that he will be quite protective about it.
hehe, if he is channeling someone, in my experience that should be his superior, so that would mean that ntkrnl is ....satya or ...bill.
so I put my monies its Phil hehehe
Or maybe someone who has him by the short hairs... like his wife for instance ;).
Rare having the freedom to design there own game several years ago when the talent was still there would have been even better!
I always hear this bs, but Rare has done great work under MS, too and what I've played of KSR (not my genre, I'm not buying this) was really competently designed.

I am not in need of a new Rare franchise, they have Banjo, Conker, Blast Corps, Kameo and Diddy Kong Racing (obviously changing the protagonist) already offering them quite a huge staple of franchisese in completely different genres, even without counting Kinect Sports due to it being a Kinect game and Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini due to them being rather redundant in the MS line up (also, I don't like these three series). Considering they are only working on one game at a time, hopefully two now, they would probably be busy just opffering new games in these series once a generation. Since all franchises I've named are also from completely different genres, that would be one hell of a line-up already. And I just saw, I've also missed Viva Pinata (maybe also because while I think it's the best game of its kind, I don't like the genre).

Alx

and what I've played of KSR (not my genre, I'm not buying this) was really competently designed.

Yup there's nothing wrong with KSR, it's very good visually, gameplay is fine, level design is good, the avatar creator is even impressive... the only "problem" for me is that it went for a competitive design, instead of the previous "fun and party" orientation ; in the end it has less appeal. Well it worked as long as I had people on my friend list playing it, but that didn't last.
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have Rare work on a new IP, and focus on the charm and silliness they usually put in their games. But that's because I don't really care for their older franchises, and (most of) those can still be handled by other studios.

Yoshi

Yup there's nothing wrong with KSR, it's very good visually, gameplay is fine, level design is good, the avatar creator is even impressive... the only "problem" for me is that it went for a competitive design, instead of the previous "fun and party" orientation ; in the end it has less appeal. Well it worked as long as I had people on my friend list playing it, but that didn't last.
As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have Rare work on a new IP, and focus on the charm and silliness they usually put in their games. But that's because I don't really care for their older franchises, and (most of) those can still be handled by other studios.

Banjo is not a franchise I'd trust others to do well though. 3D collectathon is a genre, that was only done right by very, very few developers: Nintendo EAD, Rare and Acclaim Austin. One could argue that Ubisoft Montpellier got it right, but since most of Rayman 2 is super linear, they couldn't make use of the advantages this sub-genre offers over "skill platformers" and Naughty Dog made a good collectathon in form of J&D, but not only was it a lot weaker than the aforementioned efforts, they also didn't really get how to properly use collectibles to structure the game world and thus this game was best when it didn't try to be a collectathon. So I really don't know who to trust with a new Banjo game other than Rare themselves.

Regarding Conker: They'd need to have a british developer as the lead, absolutely preferrably Chris Seavor. I doubt an american studio could quite hit the nail in the humour department. At least the platforming aspect should be a bit more easily gotten right, because Conker is a very linear "skill" platformer rather than a collectathon, something more studios are capable of delivering on.

So both of these franchises should definitely be handled by Rare themselves. As for Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Kinect Sports and Viva Pinata, I think there are a lot of teams who are experienced with shooters, simulations and kinect games, so that they could get it right. Kameo is a bit delicate as it is a Zelda clone, something only few studios attempted and only very few studios besides Rare were successful, still, it's not as rare to be gotten right as collectathons.

Diddy Kong Racing starring Banjo could probably also be developed by Sumo - they are also british (so same kind of humour), are experienced with fun / arcade racers (Sonic Transformed) and lately made some work on open world racing design too, which would be helpful in working out the overworld. Since Sumo is already working with MS, I'd actually like to see it happen, but if it does, please retain the approach of a track based game with an interesting overworld, instead of going all open world.

So, in a perfect world (for me), Rare would develop Banjo and Conker (joint effort with Seavor's studio), Sumo would develop Banjo Racing, 343i would handle Perfect Dark and JFG (they would probably be happy to not be limited to Halo all the time) and Kinect Sports is being done by one of the Kinect studios MS has once each generation and then Rare could fit in some new IP, Blast Corps or Kameo whenever they are having additional time in a generation or a great idea.

Man, it's crazy hearing Phil talk about what a toll last year's E3 and launch took on the team.

It's easy to forget that behind these products there is people pouring there all there energy into these thing.

Yoshi

Man, it's crazy hearing Phil talk about what a toll last year's E3 and launch took on the team.

It's easy to forget that behind these products there is people pouring there all there energy into these thing.

Whoever came up with the idea of always-online better feels damn bad about it and never in his lifetime ever comes up with a similar idea again. I mean yeah, they are people, but when they start deliberately destroying my hobby with no gain other than a some projected additional profit, I can't feel bad for them when they receive the shit they deserve. I do feel (and did from the beginning) bad for the people who actually did great work on Xbox One, in particular the controller designers and the designers of Kinect, these people were pulled down by the horrible guys who thought it would be a great idea to destroy retro gaming and user rights on retail games. I don't want these people to work in this industry - not without some serious understanding why what they wanted to do was inacceptable.

mcrommert

Banned
Whoever came up with the idea of always-online better feels damn bad about it and never in his lifetime ever comes up with a similar idea again. I mean yeah, they are people, but when they start deliberately destroying my hobby with no gain other than a some projected additional profit, I can't feel bad for them when they receive the shit they deserve. I do feel (and did from the beginning) bad for the people who actually did great work on Xbox One, in particular the controller designers and the designers of Kinect, these people were pulled down by the horrible guys who thought it would be a great idea to destroy retro gaming and user rights on retail games. I don't want these people to work in this industry - not without some serious understanding why what they wanted to do was inacceptable.

You really need to take a step back and reevaluate what is important

Yoshi

You really need to take a step back and reevaluate what is important

It's a forum about videogames and we are talking about people whose job is to create games and game consoles. So yes, it's not as important as many other things in the world, but within the realm of videogames (which is the realm the designers of Xbox One work in) it is a very important topic for me. Way more important than any resolution or texture quality ever could be and see how riled up people can get over that.

Alx

Yes, it must be hard to lead a big project in that industry in these days and times. We already witnessed how destructive simple Twitter messages can be, and even if I didn't follow things like "gamergate", it doesn't seem pretty. Communication is good and getting user feedback can be very useful, but you'll also want to protect your team from excessive reactions from the community. The thing is, I don't know if it is even possible.

vg260

I was planning on picking up one if Black Friday sales were good, but I would really want a 1TB standard black system, not that eyesore CoD one. Might have to hold off.

Top Bottom