• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Interviewed on Podcast Unlocked (45 Minutes), summary in OP

-Universal game preferences coming soon
-didn't have a MCC Xbox One bundle because they wanted to push Sunset
-Phil wasn't satisfied with Crackdown 2, thought it was rushed
-Phil says the announcement of Xbox One took a huge toll on team,i.e. bad response
-Ryan asks Phil how he would have handled Xbox One if he was in charge from the beginning, Phil says that he would've wanted the fan's feedback more, would have made it more gaming focused
-Xbox One hardware failure rate is significantly better than 360
-HDD size will probably increase in future
-Phil wants darker tone for Gears 4, more akin to Gears 1.
-Gonna see more classic games brought back like Killer Instinct and Phantom Dust
-Rare is making something, pitching to Phil in a couple of weeks
-Wants Minecraft to be more connected, with pc,mobile and console
-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

That's pretty much the big things in the podcast.

Phil is such a great man, his taste in a darker gears is also perfect.

Sorcerer

-Xbox team wants to make install/download times faster.They have done several tests with Xbone and PS4 with 3rd party software

Why would the Xbox team test with PS4 to improve download times?

How does that help Xbox One?

Ape

Banned
Every interview doesn't have to be an interrogation. This had a lot of good information and insight from the head of Xbox. Good job Ryan.

Vinc

does Phil say that? do you have a time spot for me to check it?

if yes, ntkrnl confirmed! lololol

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKER!!! 25:52

hahaha excellent

Rewatching that Final Bosman episode about that is an interesting experience now haha

I'll probably pick up an X1 when that Gears hits as i did like the co-op aspect of those games to be fair, Other than that pretty much nothing in the interview that peaked much interest.

Somnia

Why would the Xbox team test with PS4 to improve download times?

How does that help Xbox One?

They mean comparing install/download times vs. what PS4's are so they can see how much they need to improve. He mentions this on the podcast.

Vinc

Did NTKrl say that or something.

What is this regarding?

Yep. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760013

There was a Final Bosman video in which Kyle was talking about how weird the wording was, talking about how it was a "controlled leak" and saying that nobody says "chomping at the bit" in this context anymore. Also interesting to note that ntkrnl himself specifically said he was not Phil Spencer.

Just thought that was pretty funny and ironic in context.

SaucyJack

Don't understand post like this, is Rare is unable to get new talent.

Rare was a special studio that produced many many fantastic games from the mid-80s (as Ultimate Play the Game) through to the early years of the 360. The talent that produced that back catalogue is long gone.

They can, of course, acquire new talent but they would never be the studio that Rare was.

JaggedSac

Yep. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760013

There was a Final Bosman video in which Kyle was talking about how weird the wording was, talking about how it was a "controlled leak" and saying that nobody says "chomping at the bit" in this context anymore. Also interesting to note that ntkrnl himself specifically said he was not Phil Spencer.

Just thought that was pretty funny and ironic in context.

I always thought it was "champing at the bit".

Prine

Banned
This guy IS the best guy to run Xbox since Allard, im going nuts knowing that Rare are working on a traditional Rare game gad damn!!! Making all the right moves, transparent and a gamer at heart.

abadguy

Banned

Clearly the talent that left Rae were the only talent in England. Maybe all of Europe!

Rare was a special studio that produced many many fantastic games from the mid-80s (as Ultimate Play the Game) through to the early years of the 360. The talent that produced that back catalogue is long gone.

They can, of course, acquire new talent but they would never be the studio that Rare was.

This can be said of almost every developer that's been around for more than 20 years.

Prine

Banned

Erm they're still one of the top studios to work for in UK, and some heavy weights still remain - eg the father of Banjo Greg Mayles and Robin Beanland

Salty Hippo

Listened just for the Rare bit and it was disappointing. I hope he's lying about not knowing what the game is BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ELSE IS MAKING BANJO-THREEIE...........

Let's face it, if Kamp knows about the E3 thing, Spencer knows too. Fuck. It's probably Press Play or some other tiny studio making a budget downloadable Banjo. That's it, isn't it? My heart.

p3tran

Banned
hehe, if he is channeling someone, in my experience that should be his superior, so that would mean that ntkrnl is ....satya or ...bill.
so I put my monies its Phil hehehe

Portugeezer

I think he dodged the question about the MCC bundle. They didn't bundle it because this game would actually sell itself and make them money, unlike free bundled games.

EGM1966

Judging by bullet points it sounds like a pretty safe interview more designed to allow Spencer to deliver the message he want(I can't stand video interviews and podcasts otherwise I'd watch it) but at least his answers seem solid and on point.

Interesting they're pushing SO via bundle vs MCC. I mean I can see good reasons why this could make sense but I just figured they'd go all out on MCC as representing their tent-pole franchise on XB1.

Agree on Gears. I really ended up down on the series due to the tone it took (mix of goofy and frankly unpleasant - e.g. I don't want to hear "too ugly to live" endlessly) but the core elements of first Gears were great and I'd be interested in seeing a return to that tone if they can also curb the latent sense of xenophobia underlying the franchise.

Solid but safe from the sound of it I guess. I wish more interviews were actually that and didn't feel so much like PR slots such as you get with films, etc. though.

JaggedSac

Listened just for the Rare bit and it was disappointing. I hope he's lying about not knowing what the game is BECAUSE IF SOMEBODY ELSE IS MAKING BANJO-THREEIE...........

Let's face it, if Kamp knows about the E3 thing, Spencer knows too. Fuck. It's probably Press Play or some other tiny studio making a budget downloadable Banjo. That's it, isn't it? My heart.

Did Kamp say something about Banjo?

Chris1

yet they have the Assassin's Creed & Call of Duty bundles releasing a week later?
Black consoles though. Cod bundle is special edition, it sounded like they wanted to release a white console with sso or mcc and went with sso because mcc will sell regardless.

I think they'll still do a white mcc bundle but they want to wait until SSO is released before announcing it so it doesn't hurt SSO "sales"

Oh my god, Minecraft, PC-Xbox 360-Xbox One would be fucking huge. I hope I'm not just dreaming! I would love to play Minecraft would a friend while on my PC while he uses Xbox 360 or One.

E92 M3

I enjoyed this podcast. Phil is such a cool guy. I can definitely listen to him for an hour or two. He should go on Giant bombcast lol

Miles X

I think he dodged the question about the MCC bundle. They didn't bundle it because this game would actually sell itself and make them money, unlike free bundled games.

They didn't bundle it because they're gonna go all out for Halo 5 instead, v easy to see imo!

Riky

$MSFT

It's silly really, Rare is decades old and for some reason gamers expect the same people to work there FOREVER! Any business as old as Rare will have a turnover of staff by now, also people like Gregg Mayles are actually still there, but people like to ignore facts like that.

Sydle

I enjoyed the interview. Don't understand all the shit people are giving Ryan.

I'm surprised Spencer suggested the Kinect Sports franchise has a place in their future lineup after the last one bombed, but I suppose it could be compelling again with VR or AR features. My only hope is that he gives it to another team such as Good Science so Rare can devote their resources to other things...

I don't share Phil's desire for a new IP from Rare when they have such a rich catalog to work with right now. I hope they are working on multiple projects (as Phil Harrison says) and that one of them is Banjo (and the others are Conker and Viva Piñata).

I love the rationale on getting behind SO and Insomniac with the white console bundle as a show of faith even when he concedes the white console probably would have sold more with Halo MCC. Hopefully SO works out for Insomniac.

RayMaker

Banned
Its good what he says about if they could turn the clock back , would he of made a more powerful system.

Even though he doesn't answer the question directly u can tell the launch of the X1 has shown him power is important and will be a high priority in the future on the X2.

Let's just hope Spencer is still there when those decisions are being made.

There was something said by him previously about external hires coming in to do the "Head of Xbox" job and how they don't usually last very long... he's MS and Xbox through and through, the state of the division isn't really down to his management (considering he was head of MS the publisher which has been releasing lots of titles etc) so unless theres a big fuck up, I think he'll be around for a long time

RoKKeR

Ryan annoys me quite easily but damn, he is pretty straightforward with these questions and Phil does a great job answering them.

Only halfway through so far but his confidence in Sunset Overdrive is promising, and it sounds like they are going all out with Halo 5 next year. Spencer really does say all the right things and the shift in narrative about the console over the course of the past year has been impressive.

Raist

Banned
At last count, Azure has 11.4 million physical servers.

http://live.arstechnica.com/microsoft-cloud-briefing/

They also announced this quite large VM, lol. A game dev would never use it though.

Azure has 11 million servers. 300,000 (probably virtual) was for xbox

Right, so after looking it up Ballmer announced one million in 2013.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...than-google-but-more-than-amazon-says-ballmer

So I have no idea what's up with that 11M now. I doubt it went up 10x in a year.

Regardless, I've given detailed figure for compute capacities, and it's quite clear that the "4x more powerful" was utter nonsense. Right now they'd need over 2,000 petaflops, just to cover the number of XB1 CPUs out there.

Erm they're still one of the top studios to work for in UK, and some heavy weights still remain - eg the father of Banjo Greg Mayles and Robin Beanland
didnt the guy who made banjo left too recently?
edit: it was greg mayles brother, steve, it seems.

Its good what he says about if they could turn the clock back , would he of made a more powerful system.

Even though he doesn't answer the question directly u can tell the launch of the X1 has shown him power is important and will be a high priority in the future on the X2.

He isn't going to throw Whitten, Mattrick and the architecture team under the bus but you could tell that higher specs would have probably been a higher priority with him.

Top Bottom