• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo To Use Sharp Free Form Displays For Next Handheld? (Screens Of Prototypes)

KingJ2002

From The Verge (Lock If Old):

Sharp first showed off its unique Free-Form Displays last year, and the technology took on a whole other level of intrigue when it was reported that Nintendo would be the first customer — possibly for a new portable games console, or the company's mysterious sleep-tracking device. The latest prototypes are on display at CES 2015, so we thought we'd take a look for ourselves.

The displays are an evolution of Sharp's IGZO technology, and can be cut into virtually any shape. (Nintendo reportedly, inexplicably wants a doughnut-shaped display with a hole in the middle.) The gate driver circuits are embedded into the active area of the display, allowing for ultra-thin bezels and unprecedented form factors.

Sharp's prototypes are mostly showing demo loops of driving information; it's clear that one obvious application is installing displays that take advantage of any available space on unusual surfaces like a car dashboard. But what could Nintendo do with such a technology? We'll likely have to wait until next year, when the displays go into mass production.

Screenshots of Display (More At Source):

DSCF7188.0.jpg

DSCF7194.0.jpg

The displays are an evolution of Sharp's IGZO technology, and can be cut into virtually any shape. (Nintendo reportedly, inexplicably wants a doughnut-shaped display with a hole in the middle.)

tumblr_mdk4alfMI21qltqg1.gif

Seems too crazy and outlandish. Even for Nintendo

Dryk

Depending on the dimensions of the torus you could wear it around your eyes. Seems kind of wasteful but it's Nintendo so I'm sure they'd want the outside of the ring to be displaying something too so your family can watch.

If the donut-shaped display rumor is true, then my guess is that it's going to be for the QOL product. (by "donut" I'm imagining a flat circle with a smaller circle cut out of the middle, not some kind of wrap-around screen like a couple people above seem to be).

Or maybe a secondary display on a handheld instead of going full-blown two screens?

Or on a wiiu successor, a minor screen squeezed into the middle of a regular controller, or, god-forbid, the weirdest gamepad re-imagining from hell possible.

Any doughtnut-shaped monitor is going to be for QOL. Let's not be silly.

Mind you, if Iwata's talk of creating more SKUs with a unified OS and games actually becomes reality, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo release some pocket-sized disc to play games on in some fashion.

Donut-shaped screen sounds like it's intended for a watch, not a traditional handheld game system.

A Game And Watch, you say?

methodman

Banned
Donut-shaped screen sounds like it's intended for a watch, not a traditional handheld game system.
Sounds like it's being made to fit around penises. As you piss, the QOL sensor shows you how your body is doing and the quality of your piss. QoP

L Thammy

Sounds like it's being made to fit around penises. As you piss, the QOL sensor shows you how your body is doing and the quality of your piss. QoP

...Honestly, a digital gloryhole was the first thing I thought, but I thought it would be a weird thing to post. :|

looking at the last picture... Could they, in theory, wrap an entire screen around the buttons? Basically a one screen device with all of the facing area being a screen? It wouldn't add much... But I guess it'd be more compatible with the smartphone generation.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Outer ring touch screen with a hole in the middle for inputs maybe? Sounds QOL.

If they go big with this tech I bet the next system's controller is one giant touchscreen with buttons and sticks (and the next handheld similar in appearance)

brainpann

Outer ring touch screen with a hole in the middle for inputs maybe? Sounds QOL.

If they go big with this tech I bet the next system's controller is one giant touchscreen with buttons and sticks (and the next handheld similar in appearance)

This is pretty much what i was thinking.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Wow, that could be pretty cool... I think? I don't know. It sounds like it could be cool. :p

Wow, that could be pretty cool... I think? I don't know. It sounds like it could be cool. :p

Its just the logical evolution of the Wii U gamepad. A screen with buttons in it.

The donut sounds more like a really fancy docking or qol device. Maybe with the sensor in the middle.

Top Bottom