• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Go back to CA’: Couple’s car, house vandalized (Portland, OR)

Man this is so embarrassing. Your properties? I really Really hope this is satire.

I'll put myself as a California transplant living in Portland and while not as bad as this thread makes it sound, it's been an extremely uncomfortable experience.

I don't understand the tribalism not just in Portland but the northwest in general. 1 in 8 Americans are in California. Los Angeles metro area alone has 4 times the population of Oregon. If you hate California, you hate America.

Come up to Seattle. Plenty of California transplants living up in Seattle including myself. No one bats an eye when you say you're from California, because there's a 50% chance they are too.

Oriel

A lot of people being priced out in California have moved to nearby Nevada or Oregon. Some people in Orgeon have been upset with this as houses are being bought by non-locals and jobs are being taken by non-locals, etc. When I went to visit a few years ago I saw a lot of these signs :

Go%20Fund%20Me%20sticker_1460580943854_1590918_ver1.0.jpg

stopmoving.jpg

So what, do these geniuses think the US constitition doesn't apply to their state or something?

Not

Banned
A lot of Western states hate California, I even saw some of the hate in Arizona. Californians have a certain air about them and some local slang (especially if they come from LA) and people have an instant reaction of "otherness". It's kinda like when someone is found out to be Texan outside of Texas.

I took a CA license plate through Texas a couple months ago and felt like drivers were avoiding me, lol

BADMAN

Yeah this is a problem. The influx of Californians has probably raised my rent 35% over the last 4 years alone which must really be pissing the resident militant assholes off. On top of that, Portlanders really don't like it when you add outside influence to their brand of hipster culture. This mentality may date back to our state's very unfortunate history of being racist as fuck. I think the KKK ran the state government up until 1925 or something. The Dollop has a great show on it.

Nydius

Gold Member
Didn't think this was a thing in OR.

VA? Yeah, but OR?

This is only true in rural parts of Virginia. I've rarely seen out-of-stater hate in the metro areas, largely because our biggest employers - military, military support, and government/government support - rely heavily on out-of-state transplants and transients.

West of I-95 and I-81 is a very different story. Lots of good ol' boys out there who don't take too kindly to seeing plates on cars from Northern states or them librul western states.

bjork

One issue is that Californians don't learn this state's driving rules. Here in Oregon, u-turns at traffic lights are illegal (ORS 811.365) unless 1) posted that it is okay to do a u-turn, or 2) basically in a rural area. In California, it is the opposite; it is legal to do u-turns at traffic lights unless posted not to. I've almost been in two separate traffic accidents resulting from a vehicle with California license plates that made an illegal u-turn from a left-hand turn lane. I've seen several other potential situations with vehicles turning right at an intersection and a California car doing a left-lane u-turn into the right-turning car. Situations like this just further embed the dislike for Californians who don't read up on the state's laws and regulations. In general, Californians are indeed causing trouble.

Sounds like Oregon needs to catch up with traffic laws from this century.

Only kidding. Still, it doesn't mean someone should go spraypaint their car like some angry ex girlfriend.

GodofWine

For claiming they 'just finished doing everything' in terms of a home remodel, including painting the exterior...that is one ugly choice of exterior paint.

Besides that they guy who did this is an A-hole.

Gallbaro

Banned
No, but I think its pretty easy to educate yourself on some basic info outside of the US. You act like the coastal cities being blue has something to do with the housing price? You might want to look up major cities in the world and where they are located in respect to their country. The housing prices are expensive because they are good cities people actually want to live in or near.

Your statement is misleading and generally wrong. Local Democratic policies of zoning, historical preservation and limiting the growth of housing stock do result in lower densities, more expensive housing and less density (as the rich buy multiple units). The only blue city bucking this trend is Seattle and its housing costs at not nearly as bad as the other coastal cities you reference.

Yes core districts will always cost more than the surrounding regions, however when you compare American"blue" cities to Tokyo and Houston you quickly realize it is the local Democratic policies that make it so much more extreme.

Further anecdote: when my wife and I moved to the area (Hillsboro, not far from Portland) 13 years ago, we got a VERY chilly reception from our neighbors, and from basically anyone who found out we moved in from Iowa. They were mad someone from Oregon wasn't hired in my place. I was told this to my face many times.

Thanks for the story. At least I know what I'm getting myself into now.

leroidys

Your statement is misleading and generally wrong. Local Democratic policies of zoning, historical preservation and limiting the growth of housing stock do result in lower densities, more expensive housing and less density (as the rich buy multiple units). The only blue city bucking this trend is Seattle and its housing costs at not nearly as bad as the other coastal cities you reference.

Yes core districts will always cost more than the surrounding regions, however when you compare American"blue" cities to Tokyo and Houston you quickly realize it is the local Democratic policies that make it so much more extreme.
In what way? Seattle has been leading the country in increasing housing costs for the better part of the last 2 years. It's been number 1 for the past eight months straight (and by quite a lot).

What do Oregonians think of Washingtonians?

Depends on a lot of things

But mostly on whether you're a soccer fan or not

edit: The "Vantucky" shaming pretty much got kicked in the shins real hard when Washington beat Oregon to both legal weed AND gay marriage. Combine that with the fact the housing is affordable there...

It's been a lot less Vancouver-shaming in Portland, I've found.

Come up to Seattle. Plenty of California transplants living up in Seattle including myself. No one bats an eye when you say you're from California, because there's a 50% chance they are too.

I'm a born and raised Washingtonian and know very few others that still live in Seattle. What sucks is all the old houses on my block getting torn down and replaced with four individual $800k townhouses on the same plot of land.

We bought in Seattle at the height of the housing market in 2007 and I thought it was insane, but I do not envy people looking for housing in this city now.

Gallbaro

Banned
I'm a born and raised Washingtonian and know very few others that still live in Seattle. What sucks is all the old houses on my block getting torn down and replaced with four individual $800k townhouses on the same plot of land.

We bought at the height of housing market in 2007 and I thought it was insane, but I do not envy people looking for housing in this city now.

Why does that suck?

A lot of Western states hate California, I even saw some of the hate in Arizona. Californians have a certain air about them and some local slang (especially if they come from LA) and people have an instant reaction of "otherness". It's kinda like when someone is found out to be Texan outside of Texas.

I can vouch for this.

It's especially hilarious to have been born in the Midwest, spent most of my childhood in Texas, was in Oklahoma during my early college years, and then now live in California as an adult.

America is such an incredibly regionally diverse place.

Why does that suck?

Lots of people who are currently living in Seattle and would like to keep living here can't afford an $800k townhouse. I'm all for density but developers claiming to be offering affordable housing options in my neighborhood just make me roll my eyes.*

*Our lot is zoned for multi-use housing and we get letters all the time from developers who want to buy our house. It personally makes me sad to think of someone tearing down the place I've put a ton of work into and replacing it with a couple little boxes.

Poppy

oregon is a strange place

i moved here but havent changed my car registration so im just going to keep being a pretender. i pay my state taxes so anyone with a problem can go fly a kite

but im from vermont so i doubt anyone cares, most people here probably dont even know where that is

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, Texas especially doesn't like Californians. Seems like a lot of them are coming over here. I think it is because people are afraid they're going to raise price, taxes, etc. here in Texas.

Meh, damage has been contained to Austin. Austin was all too eager to dump its cool grit vibe for the hipster/tech vibe.

I find the west coast in general to be a stress reliever compared to the east (especially the North East).

Don't know about Oregon as I've never been, but from what I've seen and read Portland seems like a place where everything is taken way too seriously.

Gallbaro

Banned
Cost of living shoots up.

Would it not be higher if the single house remained as compared to four houses?
Lots of people who are currently living in Seattle and would like to keep living here can't afford an $800k townhouse. I'm all for density but developers claiming to be offering affordable housing options in my neighborhood just make me roll my eyes.*

*Our lot is zoned for multi-use housing and we get letters all the time from developers who want to buy our house. It personally makes me sad to think of someone tearing down the place I've put a ton of work into and replacing it with a couple little boxes.

Nostalgia, got it. But congrats on the wealth if you elect to sell!

Would it not be higher if the single house remained as compared to four houses?

There are two houses currently around the corner from me that are renting to low income families. Those families have to move out at the end of August so more high priced townhouses can be built in their place. The owners can do whatever they want and that's their right but those families are out of luck and will probably have to relocate outside of the city. It's absolutely insane how much Seattle has changed in the last decade.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh dear, dumb it got to these levels.

Live in Portland, Oregon. The hate comes from people moving here, which has caused the housing prices here in Portland to skyrocket (Portland's cost of living has gotten to stupid levels (it's for 2-3 years in a row had the highest percentage rise for cost of living in the US, in 2015 cost of living average went up by 11.4% that year alone) because people keep moving in, mostly from California, making many who grew up here have to move out because they can no longer afford it).

That doesn't justify this act of vandalism at all, but that's a big part of the reason for the situation with this.

Gallbaro

Banned
There are two houses currently around the corner from me that are renting to low income families. Those families have to move out at the end of August so more high priced townhouses can be built in their place. The owners can do whatever they want and that's their right but those families are out of luck and will probably have to relocate outside of the city. It's absolutely insane how much Seattle has changed in the last decade.

I am a huge fan of Seattle for the amount of new apartments/condos it has permitted, the best in the country at the moment. It is definitely keeping rents from accelerating at an even greater pace. If they landlord could not have sold for redevelopment, would those tenets not have had to deal with a large rent increase anyway? If the new supply was not being constructed (demand would be the same) would new monthly rent not have been a dramatic increase anyway?

Top Bottom