• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘I’m Retiring,’ Miyamoto Tells Staff - Moving On To Smaller Projects In Nintendo

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Miyamoto retiring, Iwata on the ejection seat. I'm surprised Nintendo's doors are still open.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
:(

This could work out better, Miyamoto seems better suited to smaller projects. Koizumi can definitely handle Mario on his own, and I'm sure Aonuma will do well too. The rest of Nintendo's franchises seem to have been autonomous for a while now...

Can it be time for a new Miyamoto IP? I hope so.

apana

and if you're not interested in smaller games, like me, then he's as good as completely retired.

Still end of an era I suppose. I hope this pressures Nintendo into drastic change or a bunch of new IPs.

Something that starts small can become big if there is a brilliant concept within the game as Miyamoto has been known to contribute. This wont really pressure Nintendo into anything. Miyamoto was more of a public face for Nintendo's development arm, there are two other key managers I think and then of course certain people manage specific games.

-Eddman-

Miyamoto to Yoshiaki Koizumi:

Y0XwI.jpg

"I wasn't training a partner, I was training a replacement"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like he might direct a game again. Should be interesting, and having fresh blood at the top also sounds like a good move for Nintendo.

ACTUALLY MAKING GAMES > overseeing larger projects

It's been apparent for a long while that he was never going to direct another Zelda, for instance.

TreIII

This is GREAT NEWS to me.

This may be the way that Ninty possibly gets a few new projects and may help raise up new talent.

To be fair, sometimes big creatives can't quite commit to "retiring" all at once and say they're going to work on "small personal projects" that never come to fruition. His plans sound suspiciously ephemeral, but I hope he really does continue to produce and isn't just slowly acclimating himself to the idea of real retirement.

Regardless, I doff my red cap to you, Mr. Miyamoto. The best there ever is, was, or will be.

Just gonna drop this in here: With many of my peers saying the original headline on Twitter was ripe for misinterpretation, I've decided to change the headline. Miyamoto *is* telling his staff that he's "retiring" and he absolutely is stepping away from doing the things that he is known for, so this is most certainly not a misleading story. I do want the headline to reflect that as well.

Toki767

Sounds kind of like Miyamoto is just going to end up making a bunch of new IPs with smaller groups and see if any of them connect with the audience while leaving the big IPs like Zelda and Mario and the hands of most of the people who have continually worked on them.

Platy

I'm twisted =/

Part of me wants him to continue doing miracles with the mario franchise ... but other part of me would love to more "indie feeling" miyamoto games

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This is great news. He may have been stifling creativity by being the big overseer. Now, he can do his own thing on smaller projects and see how Nintendo grows.

This is exactly what Shiggy needs to do. He is a legend, he can't be stuck in the same grind forever, time to see if he can still create things from scratch.

Interesting. Wonder if the big games will be okay without him supervising. There is a ton of talent in the EADs though, so they should be fine.

Curious about his small game ideas.

ACTUALLY MAKING GAMES > overseeing larger projects

It's been apparent for a long while that he was never going to direct another Zelda, for instance.

I think it's been clear he's been itching to return to proper development for a while now. He even decided to do some of the text programming or something for SMG2, just 'coz.

I think Miyamoto sees that Nintendo as a developer is at a point where he doesn't feel the need to hawk down at the rest of the devs shoulders to see if they're doing the right thing. Games like Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and Super Mario 3D land which all have amazing teams with what seems to be a lot of fairly young developers, are getting amazing reception and took old Ip's into slightly different directions which is helping their old IP's feel fresher than ever. Didn't we hear him say in an interview that he regretted throwing out some of the younger devs ideas and admitted that some of them were actually good?
I'm sure he's seeing this as a great opportunity for him, Nintendo and the game industry possibly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My personal reaction is that:

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers.
This sounds interesting.

Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”
And this sounds less interesting, unless he has the multidisciplinary knowledge to pull off some notch/Terraria scale project.

No

Nooo

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like the idea of him doing this only AFTER we get some full fledge HD titles from Nintendo. Get back to your office, Miyamoto. :mad:

Honestly, it's probably better for him that way. Get more hands on time doing what he loves, not being some administrator overhead. Look forward to his new projects.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
About time. Will be interesting to see how he goes in a smaller development role and what the past 10-15 years will say.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My personal reaction is that:

This sounds interesting.

And this sounds less interesting, unless he has the multidisciplinary knowledge to pull off some notch/Terraria scale project.

I've always gotten the impression Miyamoto's a damn good programmer, Iwata too for that matter. I wouldn't underestimate him, especially considering how easy it is to develop and how much better the tools are these days vs. for the NES.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh heavens to betsy, the title gave me a heart attack at first. But reading it makes me really excited to see what he can produce again. :)

LiK

I've always gotten the impression Miyamoto's a damn good programmer, Iwata too for that matter. I wouldn't underestimate him, especially considering how easy it is to develop these days vs. for the NES.

I thought he was mainly a designer.

Top Bottom