• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

’Pacific Rim 2’ synopsis released ahead of NYCC trailer

The globe-spanning conflict between otherworldly monsters of mass destruction and the human-piloted super-machines built to vanquish them was only a prelude to the all-out assault on humanity in Pacific Rim Uprising.

John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) stars as the rebellious Jake Pentecost, a once-promising Jaeger pilot whose legendary father gave his life to secure humanity’s victory against the monstrous “Kaiju.” Jake has since abandoned his training only to become caught up in a criminal underworld. But when an even more unstoppable threat is unleashed to tear through our cities and bring the world to its knees, he is given one last chance to live up to his father’s legacy by his estranged sister, Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi)—who is leading a brave new generation of pilots that have grown up in the shadow of war. As they seek justice for the fallen, their only hope is to unite together in a global uprising against the forces of extinction.

Jake is joined by gifted rival pilot Lambert (The Fate of the Furious’ Scott Eastwood) and 15-year-old Jaeger hacker Amara (newcomer Cailee Spaeny), as the heroes of the PPDC become the only family he has left. Rising up to become the most powerful defense force to ever walk the earth, they will set course for a spectacular all-new adventure on a towering scale.

Pacific Rim Uprising is directed by Steven S. DeKnight (Netflix’s Daredevil, STARZ’s Spartacus) and also stars Jing Tian, Burn Gorman, Adria Arjona and Charlie Day.

More Mako is always good.

Is this the first time Mako is confirmed? I remember being bummed as I followed this movie early on because they never mentioned her. I hope they didn't 'ID4 Resurgence' Charlie Hunnam's character, though.

Sir Doom

Sure I’ll check it

Even though it’s your archetype of hero scorned his pass then only to rise up and embrace his legacy

Mako gonna backhand the shit outta Robot Finn

Is this the first time Mako is confirmed? I remember being bummed as I followed this movie early on because they never mentioned her. I hope they didn't 'ID4 Resurgence' Charlie Hunnam's character, though.

He's so toast

Super excited, loved the first film.

My wife’s known a bunch about this movie for months and has been rubbing it in my face. Im gonna be mad if she still knows more than this lol

Haruko

It's not Hunnam's fault he was already booked when PR2 finally got greenlit, so I'm hopeful that they don't kill Raleigh offscreen.

Once Wanda Group acquired Legendary, they didn't want to wait for him to be free and started work on PR2 right away.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I was kinda hoping for a G Gundam scenario where the different countries duke it out in a friendly spirited tournament with their representative jaegars lol

I still don't get why they felt the need to get rid of drifting, it felt like one of the most interesting and fun aspects of Pacific Rim and what made it stand out compared to the other "Mecha vs. Kaiju" products out there. I'm still excited for this movie though, and except it to be an awesome ride in it's own right.

How much you want to bet they're forced to use an old Jaeger that requires drifting at the end of the movie?

EDIT:
I was kinda hoping for a G Gundam scenario where the different countries duke it out in a friendly spirited tournament with their representative jaegars lol

You should look up a movie called Robot Jox. You won't be disappointed.

My mecha is ready.

uQmqru.gif

It's been a couple months, I need to watch PR1 again. One of my most favorite movies. I can't wait for the sequel, this is going to be so freaking boss.

Magilla

Banned
I'm surprised people want Charlie Hunnam's character back. It was like watching a cardboard cutout trying to act. Dude was boooring. More mechs less people talking!

Arkeband

Banned
A "jaeger hacker" is the perfect plot device to write themselves out of any situation. I'm a jaeger hacker! I hack all the things! Hack that kaiju! Hack the planet!

A "jaeger hacker" is the perfect plot device to write themselves out of any situation. I'm a jaeger hacker! I hack all the things! Hack that kaiju! Hack the planet!

it is in keeping with silly things in the first one like Gipsy Danger being analog or having no alloys in its metal. What? But its the crazy that makes it fun. I am 100% ready to re-cancel the apocalypse!

dl77

I hope they didn't 'ID4 Resurgence' Charlie Hunnam's character, though.

To be fair he was the worst thing in the first film (aside from Burn Gorman) so it'd be no great loss. That's no disrespect to Charlie Hunnam but the character was just so insipid.

Funnily enough I just saw the trailers for the first film pop up again on Joblo and the effects are still fantastic. Really wish I'd seen it at the cinema.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not sure why people are happy Mako is back. She was pretty weak in the first film and like most of the characters of the first, I'd not be sad to see them never return except maybe Charlie Day or Idris Elba coming back to life/

dl77

Not sure why people are happy Mako is back. She was pretty weak in the first film and like most of the characters of the first, I'd not be sad to see them never return except maybe Charlie Day or Idris Elba coming back to life/

....or Ron Perlman. Can never have too much Ron Perlman.

cj_iwakura

Well we had a Rei expy, hopefully the hacker is Asuka.

Sounds kinda lame to even consider wasting the budget of PR II on something as lukewarm as that, unless there's something more to it.

Anyway, can't wait, HUGE fan of the first one, but man, Scott Fucking Eastwood? That guy sucks.

Top Bottom