• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Xbox Fans Are Paid”, Says Former World of Warcraft Designer

Xenon

I didn't want to play Starfield on a console anyway.
Google Pout GIF

Fixed it for you.

To respond, I think they meant all the timed exclusives Sony has been doing. MS buying Bethesda after Sony trying to make it a timed exclusive was the biggest counter punch in gaming's history.

This was troubling at first because I thought it was three different people writing three different articles all saying the same shit. But it’s just three random twitter warriors quoting the title of the article they’re linking. Who fucking cares.

Are we sure that some of the Xbox haters aren’t actually the ones on the MS payroll? They spend so much time keeping Xbox in the limelight with negativity. Had people not linked these tweets here then I’d have never known about them or the article. We’re also constantly pelted with names of fanboy twitter and YouTube personalities that had Sony shills not mentioned, no one here would care.

Even these three tweets… I’ve heard of Timdog because of Xbox haters bringing him up, but who are the other two people?

Like someone else said earlier in the thread… the Xbox hate wagon is on overdrive here lately.

Not doubting your credibility or anything but saying that 'companies pay influencers' is like saying 'water makes you wet'.

Oh shit... so basically - sOnY tOo x3!!11one!

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke
Tv Land Teacher GIF by Teachers on TV Land
Gabriel Iglesias Finger Guns GIF by NETFLIX

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
How about if I tell you I shared receipts with @Mod of War that specifically says Xbox is giving "an army" of people free consoles, storage disks and Gamepass just to influence positive affinity and they went after certain tech review websites giving them exclusive articles because they felt they were anti Xbox and wanted to sway them to be pro Xbox and this comes from the guy at the time who was right below Phil

Does that count?
So in other words, marketing.

Zathalus

Not sure. But, for MS it's obvious. Take DF, for example. During the 360 vs PS3 gen, DF, a technical gaming channel, naturally was going through a game with a fine tooth comb, looking for things like the amount of grass. Especially during that gen when quite a few games favored 360, and they were quick to recommend that system.

You jump to the beginning of PS4 vs XBO, where it was just a stone hard fact that the PS4 was more powerful, and DF was downplaying the difference. Making it seem like 720p/900p vs 1080p wasn't that big a deal, when before something like 720p vs 640p was, and the game would look great on which ever console you prefer. Of course, they started getting called out on it and had to drop that shit.
It's amazing that nonsense like this still gets posted here as if it's factual.

If you're buying the PS4 version, you're getting a 1600x900 image scaled to whichever output you'd prefer, while the Xbox One trots behind with a 1280x720 framebuffer that, to be blunt, has an impact on overall visibility on some of the game's bigger multiplayer maps.

In motion, it's the Xbox One version that suffers from the greater temporal aliasing - a flicker artefact on thin geometry and power-lines while panning - but also a general muddying of enemy outlines on the horizon. A post-process anti-aliasing method is in place for both versions, but it's simply not enough to pull the Microsoft release out of the muggy mire as far as image quality goes

Here it's abundantly clear that one platform has a distinct advantage over the other owing to the vast resolution differential: fine details, subtle edges and complex scenery all appear sharper and more defined on PlayStation 4, while these elements simply aren't displayed with the same level of clarity on Xbox One, giving the game a distinctly fuzzy look that doesn't really tally with our expectations of a next-gen experience.

The end result isn't a particularly pretty sight: harsh edges are further accentuated over the additional jaggies created by the upscaling, while fine details, foliage, and the surface of water all appear quite grainy in comparison to the PS4 and PC versions. It's a crushing step down from the PS4's much clearer 1080p presentation, taking away some of the finesse expected from a next-generation product

That said, it's instantly obvious that the same level of image quality isn't present on the Xbox One release, which looks visibly worse in comparison to the unpatched 900p PS4 game. Essentially this translates to a fuzzier image on screen that highlights the breaking up of fine detail in the distance while smoothing over texture details. As we've seen in other sub-1080p games upscaled by the Xbox One hardware, overall image quality is further impacted by the introduction of an unwanted sharpening filter, directly responsible for the grainy pop that surrounds the texture work and foliage throughout the game and the visibly hard edges on foliage and complex scenery.

He'll, DF coverage of the massive gap between PS4 and Xbox One is why I picked up a PS4 for games

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Mark Kern's answer to this debate:

ReEKUnY.png

k9VJudJ.png

Making it seem like 720p/900p vs 1080p wasn't that big a deal, when before something like 720p vs 640p was, and the game would look great on which ever console you prefer. Of course, they started getting called out on it and had to drop that shit.

900p to 1080p is in fact not that big a deal, assuming you're on a 1080p TV that is.
The biggest deal with the XB1 vs PS4 comparisons was IMO their late gen games where developers simply stopped giving a shit about the XB1 version and ceased to implement handcrafted optimizations for the 32MB eSRAM. That's when the distance between both versions started to escalate a lot.

cireza

"Sony too! Sony too!".
I also said Nintendo too. At least quote correctly.

Here, a quick link for Saint Sony :messenger_smiling_hearts:

"Doesn't count, deflect, fart, fart, fart".

Last edited:

Nydius

No self respecting men in their 40ss-50s would post the shit that Timdog and colteasrwood do without some form of payment so it’s not a shock to hear.

Or Aaron Greenberg, but at least we know he’s definitely on the payroll. No subterfuge there.

But even if I wanted to get roped up into the Xbox marketing, Greenberg’s tweets are so bad that they make me flinch away. Who seriously takes a picture of a bunch of dudes at a table and calls them “Xbox nation and iron lords”, like it’s some episode of Game of Thrones? :messenger_neutral:

It reeks of cringe and desperation.

Last edited:

Crayon

We don't have internal memos, those usually just leak because of court cases, but Technology Evangelist (or Tech Advisors sometimes) teams exist openly across the industry. Just go on LinkedIn.
It's an official job title, including at Microsoft.

It wouldn't be juicy information because all companies do it. Evangelism is hardly a new concept for companies and even startups have it. Its not a well kept secret either, you can find seminars and books about it. Hell, even press articles.

It takes many forms, from non-paying (social media from fan accounts) to paid members of staff whose job it is to deal with the public, to even part of the companies ethos.

There is also nothing wrong with it either.

Yes, that is a job:
"A technology evangelist is someone who raises awareness of and builds a mass of users for specific technology, products or services. Their work encompasses many aspects of business, including sales, marketing and leadership. "

Those jobs exist at tech companies, yes. Pushing standards it very important for them and more often than not it means undermining others. It's like advertising in that it's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

I am not talking about those jobs, I'm talking about the effects of the work they do that I see around me. Fans who are otherwise normal people get coordinated on messages and well... it's annoying lol. To keep this in context, I'm mostly concerned with it's effect on communities and my sanity. Makes me wish google would make a console so there would be two of them to fight each other.

You can say everybody does it but even if it was only a matter of degree, that degree is vast compared to "everybody" else in the world of console gaming. You can tell me to not believe my lying eyes all day but I've been around the block.

bitbydeath

You shouldn't even need to do that. Florian Mueller was posting here under a different alias and we've had several instances where posters have been regurgitating xbox PR/marketing word for word before it even hits public channels. Nevermind the fact that so many of them that behave a particular way seem to have a never ending revolving door of alt accounts (many of which were created years ago as if in anticipation) in order to stay on mission.

It's all a very structured approach and it's been that way since the Xbox One launch. I've active on these forums long enough to have pretty much seen it all.

The people who are in denial of this aren't serious individuals.
Those alts are how Halo got GOTY on GAF. 😉

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I also said Nintendo too. At least quote correctly.

Here, a quick link for Saint Sony :messenger_smiling_hearts:

"Doesn't count, deflect, fart, fart, fart".

crickets from the 'deflect' 'deflect' 'deflect' crowd. No quotes to your post at all.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

They've set a precedence where it's known that if somebody fanboys hard enough for them for long enough, eventually they will give them recognition and reward.

Like receiving a brand new console weeks before its street date :messenger_grimmacing_

You jump to the beginning of PS4 vs XBO, where it was just a stone hard fact that the PS4 was more powerful, and DF was downplaying the difference. Making it seem like 720p/900p vs 1080p wasn't that big a deal, when before something like 720p vs 640p was, and the game would look great on which ever console you prefer. Of course, they started getting called out on it and had to drop that shit.

Such persecution, much complex :messenger_grimmacing_

C8Ur9TN.jpg

In this thread we witness if you can’t attack the process attack the person, if you can’t attack the person attack the process.

You say that, in this thread, where the script has been doing nothing but relentlessly attacking person(s), in some cases just for 3 people sharing the same news article :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

adamsapple

I get the point that you're trying to make, but this isn't it. This is just reaching. MKBHD's identity has not been formed around Playstation fan-posting. Like, every tech company will send this dude free stuff just to spread awareness and advertise... Dude is a tech reviewer.

Well, we're in a topic where some users are trying to convince others that Felicia Day's identity has been formed around Xbox .. so ..

Sony sent review units?! OMG! #Exposed

To an influencer even! The nerve to try and get in on Xbox's astroturfing turf :lollipop_sad_relieved: I'mma DM Coaleasternpromises about it.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Like receiving a brand new console weeks before its street date :messenger_grimmacing_

convenient that you ignore that he also got hands on units from Xbox before street date too, of course that doesn’t fit the narrative you’re pushing, hell they sent Marques non functional units to do a video months before, this thread has really broken you hasn’t it?

I get the point that you're trying to make, but this isn't it. This is just reaching. MKBHD's identity has not been formed around Playstation fan-posting. Like, every tech company will send this dude free stuff just to spread awareness and advertise... Dude is a tech reviewer.
yep, Microsoft did the same with Unbox Therapy

adamsapple

convenient that you ignore that he also got hands on units from Xbox before street date too, of course that doesn’t fit the narrative you’re pushing, hell they sent Marques non functional units to do a video months before, this thread has really broken you hasn’t it?

Y'all need to make up your mind, either they both do it equally, or only xbox gives influencers 'recognition and reward'

This thread has been a great exercise in selective application of an industry wide practice.

The 'xbox derangement syndrome' is real 🙏

cireza

crickets from the 'deflect' 'deflect' 'deflect' crowd. No quotes to your post at all.
Same thing when I explained how requesting technical expertise from a console manufacturer (be it about its hardware, tools, infra, service etc...) was a very common thing in the professional world.

I guess this simply shows the limit of what we can expect from people that are not versed in this world at all.

Stooky

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Such persecution, much complex :messenger_grimmacing_

C8Ur9TN.jpg

You say that, in this thread, where the script has been doing nothing but relentlessly attacking person(s), in some cases just for 3 people sharing the same news article :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You tried, good effort. Get'em next time! lol

Top Bottom