• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Xbox Fans Are Paid”, Says Former World of Warcraft Designer

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Wheres the beef?
So in the "Microsoft is sending devs to help Larian (Baldur's Gate 3) with Series S" thread, I responded to some other dude that Sony sending devs to SE for FF16 is not the same as this because:
  1. SquareEnix is on record saying that Sony's exclusivity offered included development and optimization support. That was a deal sweetener and pre-planned.
  2. Microsoft is not sending devs to Larian because of a deal. They are sending devs to help because Series S isn't powerful enough to run BG3 split-screen co-op, and the game has been delayed indefinitely because of it. This is not a planned instance.
How are the two situations same?
cireza cireza jumps in and says this:
In what world do you guys live in ? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You don't need to have some exclusivity deal or planned sessions to actually ask for technical support on the hardware and software you are developing on. If you are facing technical issues, you can ask for expertise from MS, Sony or Nintendo... Of course they are going to try and help, because as a developer/publisher, you actually are their customer.
And says this to somebody else about me:
Asking for support, planned or not, deal or not, is a common thing and there is not one that is "better" than the other. He is pushing some specific narrative.
I responded this to Cireza.
I don't know if it's a common thing, unless there were hardware issues (e.g., PS3). Can you share a few examples of devs asking for help in normal circumstances -- no strings attached -- from console manufacturers to ship their game?
This is his response:
I could share a ton of examples of this happening in the IT world, in which I work. There are developer portals and you can get expertise and consultants when you encounter specific needs and issues. And this is specifically related to MS, and Azure for example. Which is also used in video-game development pipelines, by the way. We are customers for MS, they ARE going to help if we need them.
I replied:
I understand your point, but are there any examples in the video game industry?
He can't share an example and brings in "cancellation" which is not what we were talking about.
This happens in the internal workflow of a game development. It won't be public. What you will get publicly are delays or games being cancelled for whatever X reasons.
I asked again:
Not delays, I am talking about examples of a console manufacturer sending devs to help with a game (without a deal), which was the original discussion between us.
And he fails to surface an example.
As I already replied, this is not publicly disclosed because it makes no sense. So it is happening all the time without you knowing it.

Apparently there are "tons of examples" and "it is so common" yet he can't provide even a single example. And that's still fine, but he keeps criticizing people and calling them "ignorant" who do not believe his "trust me, bro" stories, which is weird lol.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

So in the "Microsoft is sending devs to help Larian (Baldur's Gate 3) with Series S" thread, I responded to some other dude that Sony sending devs to SE for FF16 is not the same as this because:

This is his response:

I replied:

He can't share an example and brings in "cancellation" which is not what we were talking about.

I asked again:

Apparently there are "tons of examples" and "it is so common" yet he can't provide even a single example. And that's still fine, but he keeps criticizing people and calling them "ignorant" who do not believe his "trust me, bro" stories, which is weird lol.
I mean just reading this whole back and forth sounds like you guys are talking about two different things. Sony or MS or Nintendo having a support team which you can contact and be like hey we are having trouble with this thing in your documentation can you help us get it to work.

Is very different than having a team from MS/Sony/Ninty help develop your game as in accessing your source and and making fundamental design changes. Also from a business perspective none of these big publishers are paying big teams of architecture engineers to run around fixing any Tom dick and Harry's game because they asked nicely. That staff would be more usefull supporting internal studios instead of a game like golum

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mean just reading this whole back and forth sounds like you guys are talking about two different things. Sony or MS or Nintendo having a support team which you can contact and be like hey we are having trouble with this thing in your documentation can you help us get it to work.

Is very different than having a team from MS/Sony/Ninty help develop your game as in accessing your source and and making fundamental design changes. Also from a business perspective none of these big publishers are paying big teams of architecture engineers to run around fixing any Tom dick and Harry's game because they asked nicely. That staff would be more usefull supporting internal studios instead of a game like golum
I agree. Helping with documentation and providing a little bit of support via phone calls and emails regarding hardware and software API is a completely different thing.

Sending a team of developers to help a studio ship their game because your hardware has become a bottleneck for the feature they want to implement is a completely different thing. This was our discussion, and as you also said, it is not common at all. There are no examples of it.

This is his response:

I replied:

I asked again:

I see game development and technical support being two different things. I'm not really bothered with what you two were talking. Although when people make claims I like to see the source so I can interpret the info for myself.

Edit: I'm not shoving the XSS up my ass.

But this isn't the first time something like this happened. Didn't they struggle with the Unreal Engine demo on the platform?

Last edited:

cireza

This is his response:

I replied:

I asked again:

You quoted everything I said like a champ, well done.

I definitely don't have anything more to add, I made my point perfectly clear.

I have an Xbox Series X and S and I still haven't received any residuals from Microsoft. Maybe I should write them an email.
Have you heard of the "ambassador" program from MS?
Perhaps that is something for you, when you are that for a long time and promote Xbox...perhaps you get a luch with
Aaron Greenberg😉

Iced Arcade

Mmm, I don't think Sony or Nintendo hire astroturfers tbh, MS has been caught many times though even on this board using MS email accounts LOL. It's definitely something MS would do, but I don't think the other two need to do it.
Lol you are still new here I see.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You have to create a social media account and wrap your entire middle aged persona around a brand like you're 12 and on a spectrum. Then gain follows who want to live in a gaming/brand bubble.

You're welcome.
Excited In Love GIF

GHG

First read through this:

Then seek out his twitter page, it's quite the trip.
Thanks
I just read this too
Crazy stuff
Hard to not be suspicious of any person who is too much invested in Xbox

Spyxos

Gold Member
Thanks
I just read this too
Crazy stuff
Hard to not be suspicious of any person who is too much invested in Xbox
Does this Icon Era have anything to do with neogaf? I see a lot of people there, who are very active here.

93xfan

Banned
They got me to like and value my game collection. First they gave me a taste of BC. But I kept wanting more and more, so they gave me free 16xAF, resolution boosts, frame rate boosts and then more BC games. Some of my most treasured games of all time! Screw you MS for hooking me like that!

Wait a minute, wasn’t it Sony that first got me into BC with hundreds of PS1/PS2 classics (and HD ports) on the PS3? And then they took it all away… What is this game of 3D chess Sony is playing?

Last edited:
They got me to like and value my game collection. First they gave me a taste of BC. But I kept wanting more and more, so they gave me free 16xAF, resolution boosts, frame rate boosts and then more BC games. Some of my most treasured games of all time! Screw you MS for hooking me like that!

Wait a minute, wasn’t it Sony that first got me into BC with hundreds of PS1/PS2 classics (and HD ports) on the PS3? And then they took it all away… What is this game of 3D chess Sony is playing?
Well, why don't you move to PC? I love being able to play any game from any generation plus mods. I recommend Little Big Adventure 2, AKA Twinsen's Odyssey. Best game of all time. It's available on GOG.
Consoles are only useful for exclusives anyway.

93xfan

Banned
Well, why don't you move to PC? I love being able to play any game from any generation plus mods. I recommend Little Big Adventure 2, AKA Twinsen's Odyssey. Best game of all time. It's available on GOG.
Consoles are only useful for exclusives anyway.
That’s a long story. Ready? Hate playing against people using potato graphics for advantages, hate all the cheating, hate playing shooters with K/m players, don’t want to always feel the desire to toggle with the settings, love the consistently of knowing what to expect and simplicity of console.

Also, Perfect Dark (n64) and a number of other games are not on PC. Some games are delisted (Forza horizon1-3). Xbox does have some exclusives in their BC vault.

I just don’t think I’d like the overall experience of tinkering and troubleshooting, even though I could enjoy Rayman 2, Mario 64 at 60 FPS, etc.

I’ma world without Xbox, that’d be my move though.

BlueLyria

Hate playing against people using potato graphics for advantages, hate all the cheating,
This is all that's needed tbh.
Crossplay ruined console shooters. I've played agains a lot of blatant wallhacks and aimbots in Mw2019 and Cold War, haven't personally seen them in MW2022, but I dropped that game kinda quickly and I've seen the clips of blatant hacking in ranked play.
PC Should never have been included in the matchmaking pool.

Top Bottom