• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Xbox Fans Are Paid”, Says Former World of Warcraft Designer

Riky

$MSFT
Obsessed with you?
I replied to his post.

Your TV is to garbage for you to be a paid MS employee.

Is that clear enough for you?

You're still going on about my TV choice from years ago, serious obsession.

But you know what's better than a 4k TV at 120hz with VRR and an Xbox console?

Two.

MxbGUqb.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every one is paid with free controllers...game pass and more....

Also the entire press industry flaunts there free press packs and jobs at Sony studios they got...plus trips around the world....free psvr 2...free 200 dollar controllers....and more

Even Michael from NX gamer was jizzing over all the free shit he got from Sony...

Paid shills everywhere. Everywhere I tell you lol

React Theblock GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

Last edited:
Some of those paid shills post in this very forum.

I always found it funny how Xbox is over-represented in forums and Twitter. Outside of the internet, barely anyone I know owns an Xbox or is a diehard Xbox fan but on forums and Twitter everyone is an Xbox diehard and you'd swear based on Xbox representation on the internet that Xbox is destroying both Sony and Nintendo in the console war (when the opposite is true). Even the gaming press isn't immune from Xbox shilling. So much pro-MS and pro-acquisition bullshit articles and takes from the gaming press since the Activision deal, it's hard for me to believe these people aren't getting compensated in some kind of way.

Edit: Didn't MS get busted in the early 2000s for using astroturfers on gaming forums? Seems this shit has been going on longer than we think

Here we go, Astroturfing and bribery is nothing new for MS. They've been doing it for a long time. Seems they kicked it up several notches this gen though, they aren't even trying to hide it anymore it seems...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/439...ggers-again-to-promote-internet-explorer.html

https://www.engadget.com/whistleblo...VATNYdILNooMSxEHjwSn33hF1fUTtzPSF3d3CIefiLXpQ

Last edited:

Vognerful

Every one is paid with free controllers...game pass and more....

Also the entire press industry flaunts thei free press packs and jobs at Sony studios they got...plus trips around the world....free psvr 2...free 200 dollar controllers....and more

Even Michael from NX gamer was jizzing over all the free shit he got from Sony...

Paid shills everywhere. Everywhere I tell you lol

React Theblock GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia
let's clarify something as I know this thread turned to shit. There is some sort of understanding that reviewers and influences can give you publicity if you send them free samples for review. A lot of channels get that because paying for everything to review it is fucking expensive.

Does that mean people like Timo Dog or Colt are genuine fans, lol no fucking chance.

I also want to make sure people here don't take it as a habit to call each other corporate shills because it just add to the polarizing shit here.

Vognerful

You know I'm not talking about those two specifically because I've actually both seen them in various conversations and have had convos with them in via replies, to know they are not cappers for Microsoft or Xbox, nor Game Pass. They have many valid criticisms about all three of those things.

Plus my comment was WRT a specific forum, that has obviously become a haven for a lot of Xbox fanatics who are also pro-acquisition nuts, and cap for virtually everything MS does in addition to using MS Rewards to pay off their GP subs (alongside VPN tricks & loopholes). How you tried turning that onto specific people on this forum is quite the leap 😂

You replied with this to someone who asked "if I pay with Microsoft rewards, does that mean I am paid by Microstoft?"

Yes.

Which is also at least half of the ResetERA Xbox people paying for Game Pass with MS Reward points.

the resetere part came after.

ZehDon

Gold Member
How about if I tell you I shared receipts with @Mod of War that specifically says Xbox is giving "an army" of people free consoles, storage disks and Gamepass just to influence positive affinity and they went after certain tech review websites giving them exclusive articles because they felt they were anti Xbox and wanted to sway them to be pro Xbox and this comes from the guy at the time who was right below Phil

Does that count?
Oh, you don't need to convince me. Mods or not, receipts or not - I 100% believe widespread affinity manipulation engines operate at large, be it through paid posts, shills, social media farms, and bots, or via outlets like IGN, Polygon, and now via podcasts and YouTubers. Video games, movies, oil companies; I have zero doubts about this. Zero.

As for "Does that count?", it all depends on what you want people to count it for. It doesn't count much for me - I first joined the tin foil hats back when the Xbone DRM rumours started making their waves and I never left. As far as I'm concerned, you're all EvilLore's bots until I determine otherwise. It doesn't count for Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 , who is still holding a water pistol and claiming it's a smoking gun in his post I pushed back on. It won't count for the green rats who've just branded you a Sony pony, out to smear the holy name of the God Emperor, and it certainly won't count for the actual Sony pony's, who already believed this was happening. I suppose the question is: what do we here on NeoGAF actually do with this information? Let's pretend that you don't just have a smoking gun - you've got the fucking nuclear launch codes. Microsoft is operating an astro-turding campaign 100 the scale of everyone else combined, and you can irrefutably prove it! Great! ... now what? How does Heisenberg007 Heisenberg007 look at someone like me and determine: "Yeah, ZehDon is a cynical shit-posting asshole, but he does so out of his sheer energising hatred for mankind, not out of Uncle Phil's bank account". How do we know that thread about "What are some good games on Game Pass?" isn't a paid thread and is just some kid who got an Xbox for his birthday? If the answer to: "Wow! A smoking gun! What do we do with it?" is just: "... well nothing", then there's unfortunately not much we actually can count it for. All we can do is collectively say "Well that fucking sucks" and go about business as usual.

You've got the inside track here. Is there anything we can do?

splattered

So have the Sony devout asked him to clarify him mentioning that Sony uses "shills" as well? Or is that the point where we stop believing what he says? Obviously all large companies use these tactics, I don't know why people on here are freaking out about it.

Also Sony exposed themselves in a clever way if you read the article instead of the FTC exposing them unlike the Microsoft Machinima situation and apparently a whole lot of other situations that people are digging up. Sony pictures was caught doing fake reviews so both companies find ways to be deceptive in marketing it just so happens more often then not that Microsoft is caught doing extra sleazy sh%!

S0ULZB0URNE

You're still going on about my TV choice from years ago, serious obsession.

But you know what's better than a 4k TV at 120hz with VRR and an Xbox console?

Two.

MxbGUqb.jpg
I could easily answer you with what's better to most of the world and plays better games with better visuals but I would be accused of trolling.
They don't get paid in cash. It's gamepass coupons, accessories (controllers, SSD expansion cards, etc), merchandise (clothing, mugs, etc) and consoles.
That sounds good actually...
Bruv someone shared a 2001 MS document a few pages back :messenger_tears_of_joy:

robot GIF

How do you even know what TV he has lol
Quick to jump to a fellow circle jerk friend without knowing shit.

MAX PAYMENT

Neogaf: It is a welll-documented fact that Microsoft has employed Astro-turfing as one arm of its “evangelising” program. Here’s someone who says, in support of Microsoft’s own words on the matter, that it still happens today in order to advertise the Xbox program.

Half of the Xbox fans on Neogaf: WHY ARE YOU ATTACKING ME???

Here’s a “thought experiment” for you all.

Assume that there are shills on this site, from both companies. People who will defend one platform AND attack the other, relentlessly, beyond the bounds of logical argument. Really, it doesn’t matter if they’re actually paid or not - just assume that such people exist.

Can you name who these would likely be for Xbox?
Can you name who these would likely be for Sony?

I think, even for the genuine die-hard fans, it is a lot easier to come up with a list for the one than the other.

(Note: I’m not actually asking people to “name and shame” - as I said, it’s just a thought experiment, so just think it.)
I read more negativity against Microsoft than any other. A lot of it is deserving. But a lot is just wildly unnecessary.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I could easily answer you with what's better to most of the world and plays better games with better visuals but I would be accused of trolling.

You'll be fine, nothing wrong with wanting the best visuals and games.

49kTFtJ.jpg

Like I said though in some conditions and for some games an LCD can be a better choice, that's why it is better to cover all bases.

UU4OaEY.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same thing when I explained how requesting technical expertise from a console manufacturer (be it about its hardware, tools, infra, service etc...) was a very common thing in the professional world.

I guess this simply shows the limit of what we can expect from people that are not versed in this world at all.
You said it but could not provide even a single example to back up your claim even though I asked for 3 times.

In the end, you just said there are no examples to share because it happens behind closed doors (lol).

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am not expecting you to believe me. You can remain ignorant it is perfectly fine.
Yeah I'm not being ignorant just because I don't believe your "trust me bro" stuff.

But again, you cannot criticize people for believing what you say when you cannot provide even a single public example to back up your claim.

Same thing when I explained how requesting technical expertise from a console manufacturer (be it about its hardware, tools, infra, service etc...) was a very common thing in the professional world.

I guess this simply shows the limit of what we can expect from people that are not versed in this world at all.

cireza

Yeah I'm not being ignorant just because I don't believe your "trust me bro" stuff.

But again, you cannot criticize people for believing what you say when you cannot provide even a single public example to back up your claim.
The bolded quote you made from me perfectly summarizes the situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom