• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 2 Switch to have Team Mode & Shuffle Mode

What a great way to sell this system if this was a pack in.

I'm not paying $60 to play it as a party game though when Jackbox is $20 and beer pong is free.

It's $50 first of all, and second of all beer pong requires that you purchase beer first. Which, depending on how long you want to play (and the type of beer you like), might be over $50.

There's no scenario where this game sells more than 50,000 units. In a year Nintendo will look back and feel embarassed they even tried to sell this game in actual stores

Something tells me this is a very sarcastic post but it's hard to tell in these troubled times.

There's no scenario where this game sells more than 50,000 units. In a year Nintendo will look back and feel embarassed they even tried to sell this game in actual stores

I'm going to guess you've gone all Pachter on us and this will sell 1m units plus within the first year on sale.

ima destroy everyone at cow milking i got a lot of practice
But+what+if+you+jack+off+three+times+a+day+_2fccd56aa6ce3004e765e67214be0ab2.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned

Should be a pack in

Honestly speaking, 1, 2 Switch would have been a terrible pack in games as it doesn't do a good job in showing off the system.

Nintendo made the right call here in letting the customer decide if they want to buy either 1, 2 Switch or Breath of the Wild when they buy their Switch as both games offer different play style with the Switch.

I hope that it does, so that folk will never let you live it down with your armchair analysis skill.

japtor

In what way? No one ever claimed we had heard about the entire game at the presentation. Hell, there were dozens of games still yet undemoed.
Well, two dozen games.

I'm down for this at $20-30...so I'll probably get it once my Best Buy GCU thing gets activated so I can use it with the Visa Checkout deal along with Bomberman.

oti

Banned
Here's what media outlets and YouTube influencers should do. Get together for a party and just stream the whole thing. That should be the review or part of it.

I wasn't going to order this, but the $25 off $100 deal at Best Buy using Visa Checkout pushed me over the edge.

Was ordering a Switch Pro Controller anyway. That comes to $75 with tax for me.

Switch Pro Controller + 1, 2 Switch - 20% off for Gamer's Club - $25 Visa Checkout = $92 with tax. So it's a $17 difference ... figure the game is worth that.

It will sell that launch week in Japan.

I mean, I don't know if I buy that it's going to be a success yet, but it's definitely hitting 50,000 first week sales in Japan. That's a ridiculously low number.

Vidiot

Looks fun but I'm already spending too much at at launch and Zelda is taking up all my free time for a while anyway. Gives me a chance to hear first hand impressions and maybe find it on sale.

krumble

You obviously haven't seen the latest Japanese adverts from the past few days.. they convinced me that Japan will be going wild for this.
I managed to get it discounted through an Amazon promo so will be picking it up, I do think it is overpriced
But all launch games for all systems are overpriced as the retailers take the opportunity to fleece new owners..

As for numbers, anythings a guess, but just to remind you that bad games sell loads at console launches..... Knack says hello

routerbad

Banned
Tennis and Bowling were very fun, universally understood games that lead Wii Sports to be massive success across generations. Swing the Wiimote like a bat. Roll it like a ball. Everyone regardless of experience or age instantly got it.

1, 2, Switch is not as simple as you're making it out to be.

It... it is tho. There's literally a video showing you how to play it before each mini game. It's al very simple movements and motions as well.

Shaving, tilting, swinging a sword, picking up a phone, holding a baby, milking a cow. These are all things that even if we haven't done them, we can instantly understand how it's done.

routerbad

Banned
I'm not in the camp that assume the worst about everything Nintendo is putting out.

I don't see the point of withholding these kind of information since it's not like they're putting out a direct and unveiling all these as a big deal at a later date after the reveal.

I don't see the point in them having to detail every last thing about a game so that there is absolutely no surprise when you boot it up...

They have a good track record of showing off game mechanics in their trailers and demos.

routerbad

Banned

I'm not paying $60 to play it as a party game though when Jackbox is $20 and beer pong is free.

what? Beer pong isn't free. You need a table, solo cups, beer, and ping pong balls.

It's also more expensive the longer you play it, because beer.

Ughhhhh. Seriously if you're going to make comparisons don't make your argument so fake.

Since when is beer pong free? Beer, the table and cups are required. But hey let's make stuff up to fit your argument.

routerbad

Banned
No one is going to play this over beer pong though. Even then I don't get why that is even a comparison lol

haha, no it really shouldn't be a comparison, but tbh I would totally have something like this going on at a party IN ADDITION TO beer pong. We (wife and I) have parties 20-30 people deep so it's good to have multiple distractions.

Also, my company has LAN parties on a regular basis (once every quarter or so) and while there is beer, there's no beer pong. In settings like that, party games actually are preferred.

Cuburt

Looks fun but I'm still on the fence about whether I'll get it or not. For me it's part pricing and part not sure how much party fun I'll actually be able to get out of it. I've got several board/card/dice games that are pretty portable that I wish I could get a little more use out of.

I don't mind the sparse presentation and games but it seems like even the board game part of it is pretty bare bones.

I'll wait for reviews but I'm definitely interested in trying it out. I think the aspect that may sell me is a rumble and how they end up utilizing it.

I want this but there is no way I'm paying 40 for it. Snippet Clips is cheaper and seems to have had a higher budget by a mile. I just don't understand the cost. Maybe they'll have a discount code on my Nintendo down the line.

Dmax3901

This game will do well, gaf is wrong on this one.

It has simplicity and party game written all over it. The exact thing that appeals to masses.

I'm beginning to think so too.

Pokemon GO and the NES classic has reminded non-gamers about Nintendo, and now the Switch is primed to capitalise on that.

Lgndryhr

I've become more interested over time, but that price even with GCU is hard to justify. Will wait on reviews and hopeful price reduction/sale.

Camjo-Z

It has simplicity and party game written all over it. The exact thing that appeals to masses.

This thing is going to bomb. It seems like it could have the same sort of mass appeal that Wii Sports did, but at $50 how many people are really going to bother to find out?

routerbad

Banned
This thing is going to bomb. It seems like it could have the same sort of mass appeal that Wii Sports did, but at $50 how many people are really going to bother to find out?

Judging by all of the smiling faces at all of the events wearing floppy cowboy hats or giggling while they milk a cow.. lots. It doesn't take that much to understand why this looks enticing, and $50 isn't an egregious price. Lots of party games are full price games and sell bananas.

Calm Mind

You said "No Drama" but this is comedy. Based on preorders in Japan alone, it's above 600k last time I checked.

Cuburt

I want this but there is no way I'm paying 40 for it. Snippet Clips is cheaper and seems to have had a higher budget by a mile. I just don't understand the cost. Maybe they'll have a discount code on my Nintendo down the line.
I don't know if I'd assume Snipperclips actually has a higher development budget, but the presentation of Snipperclips clearly is effort beyond what they did with 1 2 Switch. In fact, now that I think of it someone asked at the Nintendo World NYC press event how much the game cost to produces with the assumption it was just a quick thing and Koizumi said it's been in production since the beginning of work on the Switch, so at least 2 years. It's probably tied in with various R&D for the system and experimentations for ways it could be played.

In other words, I don't think you can strictly base value on how much it cost them to make it, even though I know it's often easier for GAF to comprehend game development in those terms.

hatchx

Banned
I don't know if I'd assume Snipperclips actually has a higher development budget, but the presentation of Snipperclips clearly is effort beyond what they did with 1 2 Switch. In fact, now that I think of it someone asked at the Nintendo World NYC press event how much the game cost to produces with the assumption it was just a quick thing and Koizumi said it's been in production since the beginning of work on the Switch, so at least 2 years. It's probably tied in with various R&D for the system and experimentations for ways it could be played.

In other words, I don't think you can strictly base value on how much it cost them to make it, even though I know it's often easier for GAF to comprehend game development in those terms.

I also think the video production of 1,2, Switch is to be considered. It's pretty well art directed with a diverse cast of actors/wardrobe/sets. It also includes light motion graphics.

It's a very different kind of game. I'm still on the fence personally, but I can see it selling very well. WiiU Party sold over a million units, there is clearly a market for party games.

Kthulhu

It really should've been a pack in. $60 for a tech demo is absurd, no matter how fun it is.

The concept of this game has grown on me significantly since it was revealed. I might just pick it up in the coming months. Def not on launch day though.

hatchx

Banned
It really should've been a pack in. $60 for a tech demo is absurd, no matter how fun it is.

I thought so at first too, and I think it's overpriced, but bundling it was a risk of looking too much like a Wii. 1,2 Switch might be a tech demo (or, large sampling of demos showcasing the tech), but it doesn't represent the consoles philosophy in the way NintendoLand or Wii Sports did.

Cuburt

Maybe but $50 isn't necessarily as big of a hurdle as you make it out to be if people find the offering fun.

The Wii Sports was $250 the upfront price for many people who normally wouldn't buy a game console. 1 2 Switch it aimed at people who already own the console or plan to get it for other games, that's the reason it's not a pack-in because it doesn't demonstrate the selling point of the console and I don't think Nintendo expects people to buy the Switch for this game.

That also likely means there sales expectations aren't millions but hundreds of thousands to be profitable. With all the marketing they are doing for it, it will likely get that and hardly be a "bomb".

1-2 Switch is the only really casual, Wii-era 1st party game announced for the system. Bundling it in would probably send a mixed message they don't want to commit to (although, who knows, maybe we'll see the return of 'Fit' and 'Sports-type series).

But it is a multiplayer game and from now until Summer all the announced 1st party games apart from Zelda are focused on multi in some way - Snipper, MK8DX, ARMS, Splatoon.

Top Bottom