• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 2 Switch to have Team Mode & Shuffle Mode

Kureransu

It really should've been a pack in. $60 for a tech demo is absurd, no matter how fun it is.
well it's $50, so there's that.

This baffles me. Did most of you grow up not playing analog games? This is the perfect hybrid of the two, and yes, it's making use of the controllers unique functions, as it should. I love the fact that the screen is a tool more so than a focus, making YOU the player the entertainment for everyone. This game, for all intent and purposes, is a digital board game. It's the people that adds the variety to the games, not the mini games them self.

If they're smart they'll release dlc bundles of new games in the future.

EulaCapra

Ooh, that's enticing! Not $50 enticing but enticing. Too many recent Mario Parties, Wario Wares, and Wii Parties have left me scorned with their $50 price tags that don't have the production values or polish to back it up. Bargain bin get!

Kthulhu

This baffles me. Did most of you grow up not playing analog games? This is the perfect hybrid of the two, and yes, it's making use of the controllers unique functions, as it should. I love the fact that the screen is a tool more so than a focus, making YOU the player the entertainment for everyone. This game, for all intent and purposes, is a digital board game. It's the people that adds the variety to the games, not the mini games them self.

Yeah, I did. I am fine with the concept, in fact I think it's novel. That isn't an excuse for a game that is so minimal to cost as much as it does.

Wii Sports had fully rendered environments. This is just simple instructions. It's barely a video game.

Ugh, I'm still torn on whether to pick this up or Bomberman for multiplayer until Mario Kart drops in late April.

Bomberman has single and multiplayer which is definitely more enticing, but I've heard of lag/input issues with Bomberman. Conversely 1 2 Switch can only be played multiplayer (which means I couldn't just pickup and play whenever).

koss424

Yeah, I did. I am fine with the concept, in fact I think it's novel. That isn't an excuse for a game that is so minimal to cost as much as it does.

Wii Sports had fully rendered environments. This is just simple instructions. It's barely a video game.

And that's what's unique about it. But don't think there isn't a lot development to make 12S. Just because there isn't a lot of graphics doesn't mean it doesn't have value. From the looks of it there is a lot going on in the game.

However it would be a terrible pack-in as it's not a tech demo of the hybrid system.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Less artists (simple splash frame pages), but more programmers. Evens out.

However it would be a terrible pack-in as it's not a tech demo of the hybrid system.

It's quintessential demonstration of the hardware as it thrives from tv mode or table top mode, while showcasing the "2 player nature" of the system and the new motion / pointer controls.

guek

Banned
I'm baffled by their poor communication on stuffs like these.
We haven't seen western commercials yet, right?

Pre-launch exposure doesn't matter at all for this game. The bulk of its audience will but it based off of ads and then via word of mouth. What gaf thinks about this game couldn't be more irrelevant.

Kureransu

I feel this game is much more sophisticated than Wii sports though.
Most of the games were nothing more than using visual queues to time your swing. Bowling was different, but even the throw options were limited.

sure you don't look at the screen, but you definitely interact with it via audio and tactile queues. Add in the fact that the games randomly generates triggers to respond to. This makes it not something you can just do without fail, since you have to literally outplay another human, which is another random factor.

Like the switch itself, it's not trying to be just a video game, it's a hybrid.

routerbad

Banned

Thanks for bringing this up. Who never had imaginary swordfights or gunfights? Who never imagined themselves as wizards and battled with imaginary wands? How does anyone not see how this can bring out the kid in the saltiest adult?

Seriously some people around here have massive sticks up their butts if they aren't able to see the good in a title like this. My opinion, obviously. Either that or they need to find whatever they can consider a negative to try and convince people to agree with their o so edgy perspectives.

goldenpp72

Thanks for bringing this up. Who never had imaginary swordfights or gunfights? Who never imagined themselves as wizards and battled with imaginary wands? How does anyone not see how this can bring out the kid in the saltiest adult?

Seriously some people around here have massive sticks up their butts if they aren't able to see the good in a title like this. My opinion, obviously. Either that or they need to find whatever they can consider a negative to try and convince people to agree with their o so edgy perspectives.

If the game isn't dark souls, it's not a game bro.

Kureransu

I think its combination of being in a mostly digital less social age, along with a skewed view of video games.

I think a lot of people (here at least) view games in this linear fashion of progression. As time goes by, console are to become more powerful, and games become more "immersive" via higher visual fidelity, and more complex physic and AI systems. While that is great and we get to see the fruits of that progress in games like horizon, that's not the only way video games can evolve.

People scoff at things like motion controls and the like because it can be seen as a chore, as well as compromise traditional gaming controls that people are accustomed to. But it's simply another way to add immersion. in this case, taking the screen away and interacting solely with another human or a 'simple' control device (that can become what it needs to be for each game), add to the immersion by breaking away the virtual "tether" of a screen to dictate your movements, and i think it's fantastic. I respect Nintendo for trying widen what it means to play video games,even if it sometimes falls flat, because the industry could use the variety and become more robust.

OryoN

This game will do well, gaf is wrong on this one.

It has simplicity and party game written all over it. The exact thing that appeals to masses.

I've been pretty open-minded about 1-2 Switch since its reveal, and it just keeps getting better. I need a Nintendo Land replacement for family/casual-friends gatherings, and for something that will show off Switch's unique features, as some have stated.

Team it-will-do-well, ftw!

Exactly.

Power on. Grab drinks and push play. 2 minutes you are having fun with nearly no hassle.

Wiisports had a bad tennis and bowling game?

This has so much more "fun" written on it.

If it was a pack in, people would be more excited.

are you shitting on the most well regarded Wii Sports games? Y'know, the ones that carried the entire game basically? (as much as I love baseball and golf in that) I think 1-2 Switch looks lovely, but come on

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Enthusiast preview after a hands-on:
https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/...llenges-everything-you-know-about-videogames/

With new impressions about HD Rumble:
In one challenge, my opponent and I had to “shave” our faces as fast as possible. It was a great example of the HD rumble, which managed to convey the sensation of a vibrating razor – a dull buzz – and the feeling of hitting a coarse hair – a sharp prick – at the same time. It actually feels a lot like a more powerful version of Apple’s Taptic Engine.

my favorite demo was a sword-fighting challenge in which you waved around the controllers and used the shoulder triggers to guard. Of course, there is no physical impact from your adversary, but the sharp vibration and sound of swords clashing was feedback enough for a surprisingly realistic sword-fighting experience.

Enthusiast preview after a hands-on:
https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2017/...llenges-everything-you-know-about-videogames/

With new impressions about HD Rumble:

Excellent preview. I'm warming up to 1-2 Switch. From its reveal I've appreciated its bold proposition -- look not at the screen! -- and its novelty. Weird Nintendo forever. But as someone who chiefly plays solo games by his lonesome I wondered if I'd ever assemble the right crowd to fully enjoy the game. Perhaps it will inspire me to do precisely what those Switch commercials demonstrate: take the console out of the house and into new settings, like Friday happy hours and potluck dinner parties.

Top Bottom