• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Best Long Takes in Film History

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Doesn't the last shot in The Third Man count?

I'd love to say Magnolia's scene at the game show, but I know it used editing tricks.

I think the most effective long takes are the ones I don't immediately notice. All the ones that have left my jaw dropped have always been followed by, "wait wait wait--was that a single take??"

lednerg

The film Timecode (2000) has the screen split up so you see four 97 minute takes which were shot simultaneously in real time. I wouldn't say it's a great film, but it's still a pretty impressive accomplishment.

WI89tk3.jpg

I am surprised by the lack of the scene in Werckmeister Harmonies where Janos is running away from the riot. That is honestly one of the most horrifying scenes I may have ever seen.

You could probably make a separate list of shots from Bela Tarr movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoERWukgg_Q

Just watch this. It's absolutely stunning artistry.

In general, long takes are overrated, but when they work, they really work.

They forgot the longest take of them all.

Victoria

140 minutes, without any tricks (like Birdman).
Here's the thing, that movie isn't actually that good. I won't begrudge anyone who enoys it, but I found the characters to be mostly insufferable, the acting to be of highly variable quality, and the plotting contrived.

Sure, it looks awesome, it makes 4AM Berlin look like a magical sort of place sometimes, but holy crap is the storytelling unpolished and interminable. All the dialog was actor improvised, and hoo boy does it show.

BunnyBear

Just another reason why Children of Men is my favourite movie.

I would agree with a few posters that the battle scene through the streets is probably slightly more impressive, but it's collaring two exceptionally choreographed scenes.

The fact that you cannot tell where they make the cuts is a testament to its technical genius. Helps that the story and acting was rad too.

Randam

1233616833hunger2.jpg

Thought this would be in the list. It's from The Hunger. 17minutes of a ton of dialogue.

"To prepare for the scene, Cunningham moved into Michael Fassbender's apartment for a time while they practised the scene between twelve and fifteen times a day"

can't anything called the hunger with fassbender and spacey.

I really like one of the first scenes in 12 Angry Men when the jurors enter the jury room and the camera gives us a little insight into all the characters. It's about 6 minutes long and it never comes across as a single take shot as it is not flashy at all.

Violet_0

Banned
Atonement - The Beach Sequence
Director: Joe Wright
Synopsis: Fledgling writer Briony Tallis, as a 13-year-old, irrevocably changes the course of several lives when she accuses her older sister's lover of a crime he did not commit. Based on the British romance novel by Ian McEwan.
Running Time: 5 1/2 minutes

glad this got mentioned, I just rewatched the movie recently. The beach scene is quite impressive
https://vimeo.com/85529607

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not including True Detective season 1 seems like an oversight. I love many of these scenes to death, but TD definitely climbed to near the top of my list.

The thread title straight up says 'film history'.

The distinction between moving image mediums is increasingly arbitrary.

Or do you mean that these must all be literally printed onto celluloid? :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Am I the only one that doesn't really like long takes?

I mean, I appreciate the hard work that goes into them, for sure, but they just come off as really...meh imo.

bomma_man

That scene from touch of evil is stupid impressive for the time. It's a shame most of Welles' post Kane movies got butchered by studios.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i somehow missed boogie nights on the list and was outraged. then i saw it and saw it wasnt the scene i expected.

was also a great scene. 'thats my wife...'

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Has anyone ever seen the shot at the end of the Passenger? It's not a very high profile movie but I thought it was cool.

Window

Has anyone ever seen the shot at the end of the Passenger? It's not a very high profile movie but I thought it was cool.

I haven't seen the film (haven't seen anything from Antonioni) but I've seen the shot since it's often mentioned in lists such as these.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Am I the only one that doesn't really like long takes?

I mean, I appreciate the hard work that goes into them, for sure, but they just come off as really...meh imo.

if you're not interested in cinema techniques, I assume they can't have that much of an impact

Bluth54

One other long take I enjoy (and it's not a super long take, maybe 2-3 minutes) is from the beginning of Serenity where Malcom Reynolds goes through the ship and briefly speaks to everyone on the crew. Such a fun way to show off the ship and crew again.

Draconian

Everything about the Touch of Evil take is perfect. Welles was an absolute master of showing how effective long takes can be.

HF2014

All of Children of Men is amazing for this really. Great list.
Yop. Car scene was great , but i enjoyed more the last scene with the war, wasent that scene like 7 min long? I dont think it was cut off somewhere, well it didnt show it.

And another personal favorite is the restaurent scene in The Protector. It was amazing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom