• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Films To See In May (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
White Man said:
Why didn't you just make it 10 Films to See in May? Did you really want to pimp Night at the Museum 2 that badly?
Because then he couldn't tag the post with Night at the Museum or pimp it on the film's IMDb board.

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah, I wouldn't go so far as calling it "a plausible futuristic world," as it's not that much different in that regard to other STs. The new movie's definitely a lot more accessible to non-fans though.
I think he only said that because he isn't familiar with the ST universe.

Had to see Departures for Japanese class earlier this semester (broken into 3 segments and no subs of course) which on top of the fact that I had to watch it for class took away some appreciation but it is a good film.

That soccer/futball one looks interesting and

Does Terminator 4 require T3? Since I skipped T3

Dead

well not really...yet
Star Trek and Terminator.

evilpigking said:
Had to see Departures for Japanese class earlier this semester (broken into 3 segments and no subs of course) which on top of the fact that I had to watch it for class took away some appreciation but it is a good film.

That soccer/futball one looks interesting and

Does Terminator 4 require T3? Since I skipped T3
It seems it is made so that you can go straight from T2 to T4 without ever having to watch 3

Weenerz

Banned
Terminator, Star Trek.

Never been a trek fan, but the movie looks enjoyable and from what I've read, you don't have to be a fan to understand the plot.

White Man said:
Why didn't you just make it 10 Films to See in May? Did you really want to pimp Night at the Museum 2 that badly?

Any film I'm inclined to see I want to include on the list. That's why some films like Next Day Air and Battle on Terra aren't included. I have no interest in them, but they don't look bad.

Ripenen

I want to see Wolverine just to get me in the mood for Summer movie season.

I'll probably go see Up! because I'm curious about what they'll do with that premise, but the "It's Pixar," justification is getting old. At this point they don't even need to bother with titles, they can just say "The next movie from Pixar" and people will already start complaining about it getting screwed out of a best picture award.

Everything else on that list can wait for Netflix. Except for Angels & Demons, that can wait for an in-flight movie, and even then I doubt I'd watch it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know, Dance Flick might be good. White Chicks and Little Man were terrible movies, but they had shit concepts. The Wayans did a great job with the first Scary Movie back in the day, so maybe the spoof genre is where they need to be. Will I be going to see it? Nah. :lol

Sign me up for Star Trek, Terminator Salvation, and Angels & Demons.

Timbuktu

I'll probably have to wait until June to watch any of this. the best movies, the best weather and the best games in the football calender always coincide with exams.

swoon

DeathNote said:
Why is The Girlfriend Experience on Comcast's on demand for$9.99 when it hasn't released yet?

it's on amazon's unbox also. soderbergh is trying to challenge the delivery model of films with his no-budget releases.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy crap, thanks for this thread. Departures and Rudo y Cursi will be watched for sure! :lol

On the fence about Dance Flick.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
DeathNote said:
Why is The Girlfriend Experience on Comcast's on demand for$9.99 when it hasn't released yet?

Soderbergh has a deal with HDNet to do six movies that release in theaters and on cable on or around the same times; this is the second one (Bubble was the first).

DeathNote said:

It's also on Xbox Live Marketplace in HD for 1200 points. Also airing on HDNET on May 22nd.

Decado

If T4 is PG-13 I'll pass.

I'd definitely see Start Trek. Everything else look like it can wait (though I may see Up on an IMAX screen if it is showing).

Decado said:
If T4 is PG-13 I'll pass.

I'd definitely see Start Trek. Everything else look like it can wait (though I may see Up on an IMAX screen if it is showing).

Yep, Terminator Salvation is officially PG-13.

Replicant

DanielPlainview said:

11. Departures (Takita, May 29th)

departures-500x333.jpg

Plot: A newly unemployed cellist takes a job preparing the dead for funerals.

5. Drag Me to Hell (Raimi, May 29th)

drag_me_to_hell_choke2.jpg

Plot: A loan officer ordered to evict an old woman from her home finds herself the recipient of a supernatural curse, which turns her life into a living hell. Desperate, she turns to a seer to try and save her soul, while evil forces work to push her to a breaking point.

4. Terminator Salvation (McG, May 22nd)

terminator-salvation-580x324-499x279.jpg

Plot: After Skynet has destroyed much of humanity in a nuclear holocaust, a group of survivors led by John Connor (Bale) struggles to keep the machines from finishing the job.

2. Up (Docter, May 29th)

up-500x282.jpg

Plot: By tying thousands of balloon to his home, 78-year-old Carl Fredricksen sets out to fulfill his lifelong dream to see the wilds of South America. Right after lifting off, however, he learns he isn’t alone on his journey, since Russell, a wilderness explorer 70 years his junior, has inadvertently become a stowaway on the trip.

1. Star Trek (Abrams, May 8th)

startrektrailercap5-500x208.jpg

Plot: A chronicle of the early days of James T. Kirk and his fellow USS Enterprise crew members.

I'll take these five, thanx.

Cosmic Bus said:
Soderbergh has a deal with HDNet to do six movies that release in theaters and on cable on or around the same times; this is the second one (Bubble was the first).

I didn't know it was 6 movies, that's awesome. He must be a busy man. I still need to see Che. Anyone else see it?

Falch

Just Star Trek for me. Terminator Salvation isn't out till june where I live, and Up's not out until october (?!).

Ripenen said:
I want to see Wolverine just to get me in the mood for Summer movie season.

I'll probably go see Up! because I'm curious about what they'll do with that premise, but the "It's Pixar," justification is getting old. At this point they don't even need to bother with titles, they can just say "The next movie from Pixar" and people will already start complaining about it getting screwed out of a best picture award.

Wouldn't they have to finally make a shitty movie for it to get old?

"This 'It's lobster,' justification is getting old. At this point they don't even need to bother with cooking, they can just say say 'Here's the lobster you ordered' and people will already start complaining about dinner being over."

Pixar have to fail (I'd count Cars if they hadn't followed it up with three of the best movies ever made) miserably for me to need any further justification than that little desk lamp hopping into frame. There's a difference between complaining about awards and realizing that a studio makes unmissible films. There's a wide gulf, actually, between being the kind of person who doesn't even care about a movie, cares more about the politics of award season, and the kind of person who is just shit-excited to see another Pixar movie.

Your post cherry-picks the most egregious fanboy behavior to invalidate something that is anything but.

All the ones i'm excited for aren't opening here in May or don't even have release dates yet. :/

Why do Australians always have to wait for Pixar films? Why??????????!!

Decado

DanielPlainview said:
Yep, Terminator Salvation is officially PG-13.
Won't stand for it (I'm really quite irritated). Would rather see T3 again. Any idea if there will be a good "R"-rated level director's cut of T4?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I saw Brothers Bloom at the Newport Beach film fest last week and it's a very solid film. Stylistically it's very different from Brick, of course, but Rian's penchant for witty dialog is always present and he does a solid job directing all the big name talent. I still feel Brick is the better movie, but Bloom is enjoyable throughout.

I also tried to see Rudo y Cursi but a Filmmaker badge only gets you so far once tickets are sold out... still not sure if I'll see that in theaters.

Decado said:
Won't stand for it (I'm really quite irritated). Would rather see T3 again. Any idea if there will be a good "R"-rated level director's cut of T4?

Yeah McG shot it for R. He has tended to be quite a liar, with the whole Jonathan Nolan thing as well, so we will see. There are some Bloodgood boobies to be seen though.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The original Night at the Museum had potential but was awful. I can't imagine how terrible the sequel is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom