• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 year old bully victim dies after being pulled off life support

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

bailey-oneill-facebook.jpg

A boy who was the victim of apparent bullying died Sunday at a Philadelphia-area hospital after being taken off life support, his family said. Bailey O'Neill, who turned 12 on Saturday, had been in a medically-induced coma since January, when he was allegedly beaten by two classmates on the playground during recess at his school.

The sixth-grader sustained a concussion and broken nose, and suffered subsequent seizures, forcing doctors to induce the coma.

"Bailey has been the strongest toughest boy I know," a message posted Sunday to the Building Hope for Bailey Facebook page read. "He has fought this battle long and hard. There just wasn't a way to fix this. I wish I could say he will get better but I can't. Bailey has gone to be with God today."

According to NBC's Philadelphia affiliate, the students who allegedly attacked Bailey were suspended from Darby Township School, but criminal charges have yet to be filed. Police investigators are trying to determine whether the seizures were caused by injuries stemming from the Jan. 10 incident.

According to the Delaware County Times, police have been reluctant to label the attack a case of "bullying."

“I would like to see these kids punished,” Joy Fecanin, Bailey's grandmother, told NBC 10 last month. “Something has to be done. I don’t know what’s taking them so long.”

Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said the investigation is ongoing.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/bullying-victim-bailey-dies-153539081.html

goil

Neo Member
They're not labeling it bullying? Yeah it was murder.

My thoughts exactly. Was he bullied? Obviously. But they beat him to death essentially. Labeling it as bullying seems like it doesn't fully acknowledge what these kids did to him.

SummitAve

Banned

Involuntary manslaughter, not murder. Also it was a school yard fight, and the video and story do not detail the incident leading up to it. So to call it bullying at this point would be making some large assumptions.

Straight up murder, I get why the police are waiting though, so they know what level of murder it was (whether the seizures were caused by the injuries or some medical condition the boy had that no one knew about before this happened).

Dude Abides

Banned
What else could have caused the injuries such that the police are awaiting a determination as to cause of death before charging the people who beat him?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Can anyone really argue that two 12 year olds beating another kid to death shouldn't be criminally charged for murder? It's not like they accidentally pushed him to his death, they actually killed him. Way too far for claiming youthful ignorance.

This went down in my area, they interviewed one of the kids fathers involved.

1102_10151464052057232_952710500_n.jpg

“My son is not the monster that everybody is trying to make him out to be,” he said, during an exclusive interview with NBC10’s Katy Zachry.
The Delaware County man says his son should not be blamed for bullying O’Neill or for his death.
“Are you worried that charges could be brought against your son?” asked Zachry.
“No because I know my son is not guilty of anything,” said the man

Do you think Bailey’s injuries are a result of your son hitting him?” asked Zachry.

“I don’t think so,” said the alleged bully’s father. “My son is very slight. But I’m not a doctor.”

“What would you like to say to Bailey’s family?” asked Zachry.

“I don’t know the family,” he replied. “But no one wants death on anybody.”

As usual the comments by many are "If it was the other way around it would be a hate crime" etc..
Its like when the white chick got strangled and thrown in the trash can a few months ago when it comes to comments and murmur.

What else could have caused the injuries such that the police are awaiting a determination as to cause of death before charging the people who beat him?

Nothing, but the seizures might have been caused by an undiagnosed medical condition that the injuries inflamed and led to his death (Involuntary manslaughter, as SummitAve pointed out). On the other hand, they might have beat the boy so badly it caused the seizures on its own, which is a different charge. The police just want to make sure they have an air-tight case before leveling charges, instead of reacting out of passion, which is a smart move.

Arksy

Edit: Looks like they're trying to determine if the seizures were a direct consequence of the beatings so we'll have to wait for the coroner's report it seems.

Zzoram

Edit: Looks like they're trying to determine if the seizures were a direct consequence of the beatings so we'll have to wait for the coroner's report it seems.

If they were, do the two kids who beat him get murder or just manslaughter? If the seizures somehow weren't caused by the beating he received, do those kids get charged with aggravated assault?

Dude Abides

Banned
Nice sarcastic post! ...why even reply? Intention should and will be a huge factor in this case.

If you intentionally severely beat someone up and they end up dying it's actually voluntary, not involuntary manslaughter, so your post was incorrect anyway.

Isak_Borg

I'm not sure why they're classifying this as bullying, it's more of a beat down that lead to the death of another individual so they're not bullies but fucking murderers and should be called murderers.

Hopefully they'll be tossed into a Juvenile facility and closely supervised after their release. We really need to start going after shitty parents man, fucked up shit like this is uncalled for.

Liamario

Banned
Some people need to educate themselves a bit and not throw throw around the word murder as a catch all phrase, that describes any unnatural death.

Murder is the killing of someone with the intention of doing so

Manslaughter is the killing of someone with no intention of doing so.

I seriously doubt his attackers set out to murder him in all fairness. It's quite likely that he fell in the fight and hit his head quite hard.

Isak_Borg

Some people need to educate themselves a bit and not throw throw around the word murder as a catch all phrase, that describes any unnatural death.

Murder is the killing of someone with the intention of doing so

Manslaughter is the killing of someone with no intention of doing so.

I seriously doubt his attackers set out to murder him in all fairness. It's quite likely that he fell in the fight and hit his head quite hard.

If you put your hands on someone in a violent way and intend to cause physical harm and that person dies, well you killed them.

If the kids were just walking around and bumped into him and he falls and dies well maybe then it's manslaughter.

CrazyDude

If you put your hands on someone in a violent way and intend to cause physical harm and that person dies, well you killed them.

If the kids were just walking around and bumped into him and he falls and dies well maybe then it's manslaughter.

No that's called is an accident. For it to be murder the person must have the intention of killing the person.

SummitAve

Banned
If you intentionally severely beat someone up and they end up dying it's actually voluntary, not involuntary manslaughter, so your post was incorrect anyway.

You can voluntarily beat someone without the intention of killing them. Minus the underage part, these types of accidents occur frequently in bar fights, and there is quite a bit of legal precedence.

Edit: I see what you're saying. Voluntary manslaughter is a better definition.

Liamario

Banned

You don't know what you're talking about.

Here's another example. If you're in a fight with someone and throw a punch. The person stumbles and hits his head and then later dies as a result, that's not murder; at best it's manslaughter.

The kids did not set out to kill their class mate (reasonable assumption) and to charge them with murder would be insane.

Isak_Borg

You don't know what you're talking about.

Here's another example. If you're in a fight with someone and throw a punch. The person stumbles and hits his head and then later dies as a result, that's not murder; at best it's manslaughter.

The kids did not set out to kill their class mate (reasonable assumption) and to charge them with murder would be insane.

From a legal perspective you're correct.

Still think these kids should face stiff penalties and be kept under tight supervision after their released from custody.

Lerozz

WTF did you expect him to say?
That's some pretty bad reporting/parenting.

How about showing some empathy ? Even if his son's attack was not the cause for the seizures and subsequently the boy's death, the father could at least answer a question asking for a comment for the victim's family with the expression that he feels sorry for them. Such a jerk.

Rest in peace, little fella. Condolences to the family.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fuck that's sad. I know from experience with classmates that both Bullies and the Bullied can grow up into alright people. What a horrible thing that it took a life a way at such a primitive stage of life development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom