• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

127 Hours | Dir: Danny Boyle | James Franco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
James Franco a douchebag? I'm in shock. This is impossible.
A couple of girls I know that went to UCLA say otherwise. They got to hangout with him (at some club) and he was really nice, respectful, and funny.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
spoiler bitching in this thread is even better than Into the Wild

Boyle has done it again. Only problem is the slight lack of suspense due to the already known climax, but Boyle keeps it interesting. 9 out of 10. Full review to come.

[TIFF Review] Danny Boyle's 127 Hours

Dealing with the importance of human connection, family and life itself, Boyle had me in tears as the credits rolled. I’ve fallen in love with the director’s previous films on a purely entertainment level, but here he is reaching for something deeper and the impact is immense.

This, Black Swan and The King's Speech seem to be the big hits here in Toronto.

TRAILER #2

Captures the film quite well, can't wait to see it again.

127_hours.jpg

Reno7728

Film looks awesome, hope Franco's performance will live up to the hype.

What was the song in the second half of the trailer?

ezekial45 said:
So how graphic was the amputation scene?
Someone told me the other day that the SFX crew created
an anatomically-correct prosthetic arm for Franco to saw through with his pocket knife, including pumping blood, muscle and tendons.

Reno7728 said:
Film looks awesome, hope Franco's performance will live up to the hype.

What was the song in the second half of the trailer?
Franco absolutely lives up to the hype, its his best performance.

The song is The Funeral by Band of Horses from the album Everything All The Time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Gary Whitta said:
Has any of the real video camera footage that Aron Ralston actually shot while he was trapped ever been released?

God I hope not.

I have no idea how he didn't bleed/pass out.

Blader

There's going to be a screening in Boston this weekend, with Danny Boyle doing a Q&A...

...and I can't go =\

TideTime

Gary Whitta said:
Has any of the real video camera footage that Aron Ralston actually shot while he was trapped ever been released?

No. He said he has only shared it with family and a couple of close friends. Franco got to watch it though and said he drew a lot of inspiration for his acting in this film from it. It must be intense to watch the vids, because as Franco said he recorded those vids without ever knowing or even thinking he'd get out alive.

You know how people said the Social Network sounded uninteresting because it was just about Facebook?

Well this is what I think about this film. Sure he went through an amazing feat, one that I and many others could never do. But it doesn't sound terribly interesting to watch as a movie. And add to that Danny Boyle's last film was Slumdawg Millionaire, yeah I'll give this a rent.

(though I was blown away by Social Network, I don't think this will have the same effect on me however)

TideTime said:
No. He said he has only shared it with family and a couple of close friends. Franco got to watch it though and said he drew a lot of inspiration for his acting in this film from it. It must be intense to watch the vids, because as Franco said he recorded those vids without ever knowing or even thinking he'd get out alive.

His video camera is a huge part of the film, I wonder if he will release it now. A DVD Bonus feature would be great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BikoBiko said:
Christ, get over yourselves. Just that a story has been reported in the media and discussed on GAF doesn't immediately make it general knowledge.

How have you not heard about it before? Have you been living under a rock for the past 5 years?

Blader

Blader5489 said:
There's going to be a screening in Boston this weekend, with Danny Boyle doing a Q&A...

...and I can't go =\

Nevermind this, I got in!

Going to see 127 Hours with Danny Boyle present tomorrow night :D

CaptYamato said:
A couple of girls I know that went to UCLA say otherwise. They got to hangout with him (at some club) and he was really nice, respectful, and funny.

That was actually NOT meant to be sarcasm. I legitimately can't picture how Franco could be considered a douchebag by anybody, at least based on his screen persona.

voodooray

Blader5489 said:
Nevermind this, I got in!

Going to see 127 Hours with Danny Boyle present tomorrow night :D

I managed to attend a Q&A with him for Sunshine a few years back, and he's great to listen to. Have fun! :D

ArjanN

Discotheque said:
You know how people said the Social Network sounded uninteresting because it was just about Facebook?

Well this is what I think about this film. Sure he went through an amazing feat, one that I and many others could never do. But it doesn't sound terribly interesting to watch as a movie. And add to that Danny Boyle's last film was Slumdawg Millionaire, yeah I'll give this a rent.

(though I was blown away by Social Network, I don't think this will have the same effect on me however)

Well, The Social Network wasn't even really about Facebook.

And there are lots of movies about people being trapped or stuck somewhere that are perfectly fine movies. Alive, Castaway, Open Water. It's more about experiencing the mental state of what the characters are going through, than about plot twists.

Blader

Saw it tonight. It was fucking great. By far my favorite Boyle movie. Franco is incredible, he needs some kind of award for this.

Also got to speak a bit with Danny Boyle after the screening. Felt like such a tool asking him for his autograph, but whatever, it was pretty fucking cool.

voodooray said:
I managed to attend a Q&A with him for Sunshine a few years back, and he's great to listen to. Have fun! :D

I went to the Boston screening too, and I gotta agree with this. Bole is an outstanding interviewee.

Pretty good flick too. :)

I just saw this tonight. Really really awesome, I hope France gets at least a Best Actor nomination out of this, if not the statue.

Zeliard

The circumstances are pretty terrifying, though. Can you imagine if that was you? Having to cut your own arm off to survive? Fuuuuuuuuuu

Zeliard

Noshino said:
go see Buried....:lol

This has a lot more weight to it given that this exact thing happened to someone. Many people have been buried alive, certainly, but not quite in the same circumstance Reynolds finds himself in where he's chatting with people on a cell.

Zeliard said:
This has a lot more weight to it given that this exact thing happened to someone. Many people have been buried alive, certainly, but not quite in the same circumstance Reynolds finds himself in where he's chatting with people on a cell.
having seen both buried and 127 hours.. buried is far more terrifying IMO.

Zeliard

I haven't seen either of the two yet, but I'm not talking about the effect of the movies themselves. Buried is pure fiction. 127 Hours is actually based on reality. That gives it a lot more weight to me regardless of how horrifying the notion of being buried alive is.

Zeliard said:
I haven't seen either of the two yet, but I'm not talking about the effect of the movies themselves. Buried is pure fiction. 127 Hours is actually based on reality. That gives it a lot more weight to me regardless of how horrifying the notion of being buried alive is.
yup, realize that. buried was still far more effective/unnerving for me.

Noshino

Zeliard said:

But you were talking about the circumstances, and like I said, it is more scary to be under the same circumstances as Reynolds' character is in Buried, than Franco's in 127 Hours.

As for the cellphone, at least for me, it made matters worse...

Zeliard

Noshino said:
But you were talking about the circumstances, and like I said, it is more scary to be under the same circumstances as Reynolds' character is in Buried, than Franco's in 127 Hours.

As for the cellphone, at least for me, it made matters worse...

All I'm saying is that it's a lot easier for me to imagine myself in Franco's position given that the exact same thing happened to someone in real-life. I'm not making any judgement on the effectiveness of each film, or attempting to argue being buried alive vs. being stuck in a mountain. Both are more than terrifying enough.

I look forward to seeing both movies, and I'm sure both are great. I've heard particularly good things about the lead performances, and I like both actors.

Noshino

Zeliard said:
All I'm saying is that it's a lot easier for me to imagine myself in Franco's position given that the exact same thing happened to someone in real-life. I'm not making any judgement on the effectiveness of each film, or attempting to argue being buried alive vs. being stuck in a mountain. Both are more than terrifying enough.

I look forward to seeing both movies, and I'm sure both are great. I've heard particularly good things about the lead performances, and I like both actors.

YES!

Everyone has to see them both!

Discotheque said:
Trailer sucks pretty bad, but I think it will be a pretty good film.

This. I thought it was going to be something along the lines of a romance-comedy. But yeah... I guess I was wrong. The music didn't help.

Swag

So is this getting a Limited Release or something?

Can't find anything on IMDB about this coming to a theatre nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom