• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

127 Hours | Dir: Danny Boyle | James Franco

Status
Not open for further replies.
someone fainted again at the LA premiere. :lol

new poster:

127-Hours-poster-2-lg.jpg

Audio Interview w/ director Danny Boyle [/Film]

Featurette on the two 127 Hours DP’s Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak [In Contention]

Video Interview w/ screenwriter Simon Beaufoy [CinemaBlend]

Video Interview w/ director Danny Boyle [Thompson on Hollywood]

(._.) said:
It says it is coming out tomorrow yet it is only opening in four theaters.....

Yeah, that still means it is coming out. It's just a platform release like every other single Searchlight film. Will be wide by the end of the month.

(._.)

Banned
I seriously thought it was going to get a nationwide limited release this Friday. Not one of these NY/LA limited releases. The way the date was out there I figured it would be showing in my city this Friday, ughh. I recall how Crazy Heart never really had a date last year so I had to wait till it finally came to my city. The date November 5th was out there quite a bit with this movie. Enough for me to remember it.

gdt

GODDAMMIT.

Had no idea this was a limited release on the 5th :(. Was planning to see it Saturday.

Yeah, I noticed it wasn't going to be playing near me this weekend, and seeing that link posted above, it isn't looking like I'll be able to see this in theatres at all. That's 0/3 for Fox Searchlight Pictures this year. Missed out on Cyrus, Never Let Me Go, and now this. Pretty disappointing. Especially the last two. You'd think with all the recognizable names involved there would be a decent chance they'd receive wider releases.

lordoftherink said:
Yeah, I noticed it wasn't going to be playing near me this weekend, and seeing that link posted above, it isn't looking like I'll be able to see this in theatres at all. That's 0/3 for Fox Searchlight Pictures this year. Missed out on Cyrus, Never Let Me Go, and now this. Pretty disappointing. Especially the last two. You'd think with all the recognizable names involved there would be a decent chance they'd receive wider releases.

Where do you live? Cyrus had a pretty wide release eventually, nearly 500 theaters.

Never Let Me Go kind of tanked, only reached 232 theaters.

Something I don't quite get from the trailers, was he standing on something or just dangling with only the boulder pinning him? Trailer kinda makes it look like his weight is being supported by something but you can't see what.

Solo

Limited release? Fuck you, FOX!

Was planning to see it this weekend :( Now I guess I'll see it...next month? Maybe?

Blader

faceless007 said:
Something I don't quite get from the trailers, was he standing on something or just dangling with only the boulder pinning him? Trailer kinda makes it look like his weight is being supported by something but you can't see what.

No, he's standing on something.

Get'sMad

this will have the highest concentration of Patagonia jackets and Chacos ever witnessed inside a single movie theater.

gdt

Solo said:
Limited release? Fuck you, FOX!

Was planning to see it this weekend :( Now I guess I'll see it...next month? Maybe?

Seriously.

Had a whole date planned and everything. Now I have to go see Conviction, ugh.

Saw it earlier tonight at the Arclight.

The movie absolutely destroyed me by the end. Danny Boyle has a knack for tapping into those euphoric moments where all of a sudden a swell of emotion (any particular type) just seems to come out of absolutely nowhere. He absolutely just creates an atmosphere of human feeling that I can never begin to describe. The best I can do is call it a nostalgia of sorts that takes you back to times when you feel the most naked. In 28 Days Later the moment for me is when Jim has the dream about the cattle dispersing and Frank calms him, telling him its only a nightmare, to which he responds 'Thanks, Dad'.

Best Picture of the year so far for me without a doubt.

Shame its getting such a limited release.

Gore is being overhyped. Yes the squeamish will certainly feel squeamish - but its not so much the visual gore as it is the psychological factor and the sound design (not the foley sounds) in the scene that absolutely heighten it.

Scullibundo said:
Saw it earlier tonight at the Arclight.

The movie absolutely destroyed me by the end. Danny Boyle has a knack for tapping into those euphoric moments where all of a sudden a swell of emotion (any particular type) just seems to come out of absolutely nowhere. He absolutely just creates an atmosphere of human feeling that I can never begin to describe. The best I can do is call it a nostalgia of sorts that takes you back to times when you feel the most naked. In 28 Days Later the moment for me is when Jim has the dream about the cattle dispersing and Frank calms him, telling him its only a nightmare, to which he responds 'Thanks, Dad'.

Best Picture of the year so far for me without a doubt.

Shame its getting such a limited release.

Gore is being overhyped. Yes the squeamish will certainly feel squeamish - but its not so much the visual gore as it is the psychological factor and the sound design (not the foley sounds) in the scene that absolutely heighten it.

I'm seeing this tomorrow...haven't decided between The Landmark and Arclight yet.

My only worry is that it will be blatantly manipulative...that is Boyle's one major weakness in my opinion.

The ending of Millions is a tearjerker but it plays on feelings of death of parents...so of course you're gonna cry. Boyle needs to realize the difference between getting an audience reaction by kicking a puppy on screen vs. genuinely earning that emotional reaction.

TekkenMaster said:
I'm seeing this tomorrow...haven't decided between The Landmark and Arclight yet.

My only worry is that it will be blatantly manipulative...that is Boyle's one major weakness in my opinion.

The ending of Millions is a tearjerker but it plays on feelings of death of parents...so of course you're gonna cry. Boyle needs to realize the difference between getting an audience reaction by kicking a puppy on screen vs. genuinely earning that emotional reaction.

He earns this one. Absolutely earns it in every respect by the end. But I'll wait for you to decide for yourself.

Scullibundo said:
He earns this one. Absolutely earns it in every respect by the end. But I'll wait for you to decide for yourself.

Great to hear. I'm really curious what my favorite movie of 2010 will be when the dust settles: The Social Network, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, The Ghost Writer, Black Swan, True Grit....

Just got back.

Fucking amazing film. Boyle's best. And Sculli is dead-on that the feeling you get in the final minutes is so unique and powerful. Yes, Boyle earns every emotion...I could feel the electricity in the theater during certain moments and the entire ending. The audience was so obviously trying to hold back emotion.

Life-affirming, brilliantly made, stupendously acted by Franco.

Who could possibly beat him for best actor?

btrick

Danny Boyle is the man. Even though the whole movie takes place in a single spot, the movie is a complete rollercoaster ride. I'm still squirming in my seat just thinking about it. James Franco does an spectacular performance considering he's practically the only actor in this movie.

Everyone needs to go see this. Absolute amazing film.

Blader

I still think Buried is the more intense and more impressive work, but there's one scene in 127 Hours that trumps anything in that:
Aron's "talk show."

Scullibundo said:

YES!

I didn't think it was graphic at all (or at least, it didn't bother me), but Jesus, the sound very nearly blew my heart right out of its chest. :lol

Blader5489 said:
I still think Buried is the more intense and more impressive work, but there's one scene in 127 Hours that trumps anything in that:
Aron's "talk show."

YES!

I didn't think it was graphic at all (or at least, it didn't bother me), but Jesus, the sound very nearly blew my heart right out of its chest. :lol

Unfortunately the script for Buried is pretty bad and for a similar plot, they are both trying to do different things.

Buried is a more sadistic, depressing film while 127 Hours is a exhilarating celebration of life.

gdt

Still need to see Buried. I saw a poster at one of my local theaters (The Rave, love that place) that it's "coming soon".

127 apparently won't be in my area at least until December, at least according to that link a few posts up :(.

Wow Ebert's review was worthless, despite the glowing review. Seems he is reviewing the scenario Ralston was in more than Boyle's film.

Anyway, just bought Sigur Ros' 'Festival'. Unless you've already heard it or seen the film, I suggest avoiding it. Amazing!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Sigur Ros music?
Jesus, and I thought I couldn't be more excited for this film. goddam.

Zeliard

Scullibundo said:
Wow Ebert's review was worthless, despite the glowing review. Seems he is reviewing the scenario Ralston was in more than Boyle's film.

Boyle, by the nature of the story, doesn't have much to actually do but depict Ralston with his arm stuck in a boulder up in a mountain for many hours, before finally freeing himself using a highly desperate (and effective) maneuver. Ralston's situation in the mountains is where 100% of the drama and tension comes from and why the story even matters, so a review of the film that focuses mainly on the real-life drama of it will essentially be reviewing a large bulk of the film as well.

Ebert discusses how Boyle is able to even turn an otherwise limited scenario like that into a full-length film, and that it's a credit to the director (and actor) that he's able to do so and make it so entertaining. Ebert spends time talking about Ralston because this actually happened to the guy - we have a real-life example of the almost impossible situation depicted in the film, which is almost never the case.

It goes back to the point I made earlier in the thread - this movie would be fun to watch regardless, but the fact that it actually happened adds a dosage of tension and, dare I say, verisimilitude that you can't otherwise get.

Blader

Zeliard said:
Boyle, by the nature of the story, doesn't have much to actually do but depict Ralston with his arm stuck in a boulder up in a mountain for many hours, before finally freeing himself using a highly desperate (and effective) maneuver.

And I know I don't have to tell you (but I will anyway) that depicting Ralston's story entails a lot more than just sticking James Franco's hand under a rock and pointing a camera at him for 90 minutes.

In terms of writing the script, there's not much for Boyle to do. Shooting and editing it into what 127 Hours is an undertaking all on its own, which isn't really addressed in Ebert's review.

Zeliard

Blader5489 said:
And I know I don't have to tell you (but I will anyway) that depicting Ralston's story entails a lot more than just sticking James Franco's hand under a rock and pointing a camera at him for 90 minutes.

Well, yes. I'm saying the bulk of the film will naturally be Franco's hand under a rock, because that's why the story matters. There isn't much else to actually show outside of character-building background elements, which won't be as significant. This film doesn't have the job that most do of almost requiring the audience to like and sympathize with the protagonist - in a terrifying situation like this we pretty much do that by default. There doesn't need to be a huge amount of background stuff, and as I gather, there isn't.

Blader5489 said:
In terms of writing the script, there's not much for Boyle to do. Shooting and editing it into what 127 Hours is an undertaking all on its own, which isn't really addressed in Ebert's review.

He doesn't gloss over that:

Ebert said:
For most of the film he deals with one location and one actor, James Franco. There’s a carefree prologue in which Ralston and a couple of young woman hikers have a swim in an underwater cavern. Later, during moments of hallucination, other people from his life seem to visit. But the fundamental reality is expressed in the title of the book he wrote about his experience: Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Ebert said:
"127 Hours" is like an exercise in conquering the unfilmable. Boyle uses magnificent cinematography by Anthony Dod Mantle and Enrique Chediak, establishing the vastness of the Utah wilderness, and the very specific details of Ralston’s small portion of it. His editor, Jon Harris, achieves the delicate task of showing an arm being cut through without ever quite showing it. For the audience the worst moment is not a sight but a sound. Most of us have never heard that sound before, but we know exactly what it is.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Monocle said:
I read that page just the other day. One of the citations led me to this article about Franco. Interesting guy. Far more so than most young actors.
Yeah like WTF? I understand GAF love for him now.

oatmeal

Banned
I have an uneasy feeling about seeing this movie...and I can watch Saw and the like with no problems :lol

It being real probably doesn't help.

Zeliard said:
Boyle, by the nature of the story, doesn't have much to actually do but depict Ralston with his arm stuck in a boulder up in a mountain for many hours, before finally freeing himself using a highly desperate (and effective) maneuver. Ralston's situation in the mountains is where 100% of the drama and tension comes from and why the story even matters, so a review of the film that focuses mainly on the real-life drama of it will essentially be reviewing a large bulk of the film as well.

Ebert discusses how Boyle is able to even turn an otherwise limited scenario like that into a full-length film, and that it's a credit to the director (and actor) that he's able to do so and make it so entertaining. Ebert spends time talking about Ralston because this actually happened to the guy - we have a real-life example of the almost impossible situation depicted in the film, which is almost never the case.

It goes back to the point I made earlier in the thread - this movie would be fun to watch regardless, but the fact that it actually happened adds a dosage of tension and, dare I say, verisimilitude that you can't otherwise get.

Have you seen the movie Zeliard? The way the movie was extremely well structured in terms of its script is actually a big part of its effect. The fact that its one of the most exhilirating flicks of the year whilst still exploring the real life events has everything to do with how Boyle presented the situation, rather than just approaching it as a straightforward document of Ralston's situational/geographical narrative at the boulder.

Had somebody like Ed Zwick directed this film it would be horribly cliched and expectedly boring and a literal play-by-play retelling of the events.

Zeliard

Scullibundo said:
Have you seen the movie Zeliard? The way the movie was extremely well structured in terms of its script is actually a big part of its effect. The fact that its one of the most exhilirating flicks of the year whilst still exploring the real life events has everything to do with how Boyle presented the situation, rather than just approaching it as a straightforward document of Ralston's situational/geographical narrative at the boulder.

Had somebody like Ed Zwick directed this film it would be horribly cliched and expectedly boring and a literal play-by-play retelling of the events.

Hey, I don't disagree with any of that. I was actually defending Ebert on the notion that he ignored what Boyle managed to do with a limited premise as an achievement - he acknowledged the feat. I don't think some lesser directors would have even been able to successfully turn that story into a full-length movie, let alone do it with the apparent characteristic flourish Boyle did.

I've always enjoyed Boyle's work. Even The Beach. I especially appreciate his focus on cinematography and the great collaborations between he and his cinematographers. I haven't seen 127 Hours yet (can't wait to) but I'm sure it doesn't buck the trend.

So I saw the film yesterday. It was pretty good. The movie did a real good job of conveying the feelings of what Aron was probably going through at the time and the movie didn't hit you over the head with what it was trying to say. The main theme came out just like it naturally would. You know when you do something and you realize that "shit that was my fault". It came out naturally and you came the realization just like he did. It's good and Franco was pretty great.

Expands to the following cities today:

11/19/10

TORONTO

BOSTON

BALTIMORE

WASHINGTON D.C.

HARTFORD/NEW HAVEN

NEW YORK

PHILADELPHIA

CHICAGO

DETROIT

INDIANAPOLIS

MINNEAPOLIS

ATLANTA

AUSTIN

HOUSTON

DENVER

LOS ANGELES

SAN DIEGO

SANTA BARBARA

PORTLAND

SEATTLE

MONTEREY/SALINAS

SAN FRANCISCO

SALT LAKE CITY

I saw it last week, enjoyed it a lot. Boyle is just so good at his job. Franco is amazing too. I found the
amputation
scene to be far less graphic and disturbing than the hype had let me to believe, although the
severing the nerve
part was painful, the sound effect they used was really effective. But ultimately the
drinking piss
was far more unpleasant!

exarkun

Hmmm getting ready to watch the movie on the 23rd.

Did Buried already see a release date? I loved the trailer, really wanted to see it, and then neither heard or saw anything after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom