• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13y/o convinces parents to buy him GTA V using Power Point

I'd have told him to piss off as soon as I saw that slide which basically says if he doesn't get his own way he'll just pester them constantly. That is guaranteed to lose my kids any argument.

Could not agree more.

Would have got a flat "no" from me for basically threatening to ruin my life if he didn't get his own way.

After reading his slides, I would have told him to get back to the books instead. If your child doesn't know that "I" should be a capital letter when he's 13, then he's not doing so well.

Insaniac

if he can put this together, I think he's mature enough to handle the portions of the game he says he will play.

Could not agree more.

Would have got a flat "no" from me for basically threatening to ruin my life if he didn't get his own way.

After reading his slides, I would have told him to get back to the books instead. If your child doesn't know that "I" should be a capital letter when he's 13, then he's not doing so well.

didn't see that, thats a deal breaker.

Keasar

It would be wrong of me to say that the parents did anything wrong considering I played Duke Nukem 3D when 9 years old without my parents knowing and had my mind blown that you could pay the strippers to show their pixilated breasts. Doom II around the same time with my parents knowing followed by GTAII, GTAIII and GTA San Andreas during my teenage years.

Kid is 13. He'll be fine.

ithorien

When I was 13, I was mature and responsible enough to understand the distinction between fiction and reality, and therefore my mom allowed me to watch things like Robocop 2, Hard to Kill, and other violent movies.

It all depends on the kid. Just because he plays GTAV at 13 doesn't mean he's going to run out and murder 56 people. Case by case basis, don't judge the parents. You don't know the kid.

I think some people are missing the point, it's not about thinking your kid is going to turn into a serial killer but rather why would would you want your kid to even see that? The only reason the kid even wants it is because of all the marketing that is being shoved down everyone's throat. He will learn swear words and concepts of things I'm pretty sure parents want their children to learn about when they are older.

SHOCKING NEWS: Kids know how to use power point right out of elementary school.
They're also teaching them how to solder circuit boards in middle school now.

I can't believe how many of you are buying this. It's the same old "I want it, everyone has it, buy it or I'll whine" argument, except now on a nice template.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
h8n1kXC.jpg

Nope. Not with that kind of attitude.

nickcv

the grammar and spelling are really bad: is that normal for a british/american 13 years old?

I'm not bashing I'm just genuinely curious.
If I had kid that age and his written italian was that bad I'd actually be worried and buy him books instead of videogames.

Onaco

Don't worry, when his parents take him to GameStop to purchase GTA V, he will be stopped.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1114147

When I worked last Black Friday as a seasonal employee at GameStop, I remember warning a customer about the contents of GTAV for his son. I believe he said something along the lines of "So this game has killing, hookers, swearing, drugs, and a ton of other inappropriate things for my kid?" I simply answer "Yes" back, to which he replies, "Then damn I'll take it!" Not gonna stop him beyond that, just wanted to make sure he wasn't one of the many people I had to explain the ESRB system to as they're looking for child's first few games.

the grammar and spelling are really bad: is that normal for a british/american 13 years old?

Sadly, yes it is.

We don't spend anything like enough time teaching comprehension, spelling, or basic grammar to our kids - especially in the UK - then we wonder why they have a hard time learning anything for themselves later on in life.

When I worked last Black Friday as a seasonal employee at GameStop, I remember warning a customer about the contents of GTAV for his son. I believe he said something along the lines of "So this game has killing, hookers, swearing, drugs, and a ton of other inappropriate things for my kid?" I simply answer "Yes" back, to which he replies, "Then damn I'll take it!" Not gonna stop him beyond that, just wanted to make sure he wasn't one of the many people I had to explain the ESRB system to as they're looking for child's first few games.

What a cool dad.

hao chi

He frequently failed to capitalize his 'I's'. They should have grounded him and not given him dessert after their next dinner.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I'd have told him to piss off as soon as I saw that slide which basically says if he doesn't get his own way he'll just pester them constantly. That is guaranteed to lose my kids any argument.

This is the only part that I woulda also told him to take a hike on, otherwise I'm on board.

That poster that said it's about maturity, not age, I'm on their side. Getting them GTA won't automatically turn every teenager into some racist spewing "I fuck ur mom" kid online. If they're alraedy a mature kid then they'll understand all this stuff already.

meanspartan

A 13 year old who makes that kind of presentation, I'd guess is probably mature enough to handle it. That said, if they buy him that game he will totally play the campaign in secret.

But who the fuck are we kidding with all the judgment in this thread? Most of us over 20 years old played all sorts of games we shouldn't have because our parents hadn't grown up with gaming and thus didn't know any better. Of course since we DID grow up with gaming, we will know that gaming isn't all 1980s Nintendo when it comes to our children. Sucks for my future kids, they won't get to play GTA3's equivalent when they are 12/13 lol.

Yeah all the powerpoints in the world wouldn't have me buying GTAV for a 13y/o no matter how mature he might seem. I got away with buying/playing/watching/listening a ton of games/movies/music I shouldn't of when I was a kid but that was mainly because my parents were just ignorant and I hid the bad stuff. If they were more informed and denied me at the time I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Kids always want to do what the older kids are doing. That will always be the case till the end of time. Saying that, not my kid, so the parents are free to raise him however they wish.

Zing

Banned
I think so. I mean, he was pretty honest on what the contents the game are. If the parents are well-informed about it and let him play there's nothing wrong with it.
The arguments for why these games are wrong is unaffected by parental choice. Children are a concern for all of society, not just the parents. Unless this family lives on a deserted island, we all have a stake in these decisions.

This kid is 13? My daughter writes better than him at five years younger.

Jimrpg

As a parent of a 2 year old daughter and 1 month old son... there's no way I'd buy GTA V for them at 13.

That's a cute powerpoint presentation, but there's soooooo many other games they can play besides GTA V.

Apoc29

I couldn't possibly imagine what 63% looked like...UNTIL NOW. Thank you, Power Point!

I would let a 13y/o play GTA V, but not because he made a presentation. Like most video games, GTA V is goofy and dumb and shouldn't have any influence on people unless they are already fucked up.

meanspartan

Yeah all the powerpoints in the world wouldn't have me buying GTAV for a 13y/o no matter how mature he might seem. I got away with buying/playing/watching/listening a ton of games/movies/music I shouldn't of when I was a kid but that was mainly because my parents were just ignorant and I hid the bad stuff. If they were more informed and denied me at the time I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Kids always want to do what the older kids are doing. That will always be the case till the end of time. Saying that, not my kid, so the parents are free to raise him however they wish.

I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing though, at least in results.

Basically all my friends and I took advantage of our parents ignorance (all our parents were 1970s/early 80s generation and thus at most had played blocky atari games) to play games like GTA3, Manhunt, God of War, etc, well before our 17th Birthdays.

I can't think of any of my friends from middle school and high school who turned out bad, we are all decent people I'd say lol.

I admit my deep knowledge of gaming will probably mean my kids don't play M rated games (aside from stupid M ratings like Halo used to be), but I'm not sure if that is a bit too overprotective.

There is something to be said I guess for graphical capabilities. GTA3 was tremendously violent, but it still looks cartoony in a goofy way, while GTA5 looks damn real. Maybe that matters.

Although fucking Manhunt still makes me feel yucky inside despite the brilliant gameplay :p

zma1013

I applaud the effort but his argument kinda sucks. He just plainly says at one point, if you don't let me have it I'll keeping bugging you until I get what I want.

I would probably buy the game for him. I played GTA3 when I was around 13 and I turned out fine. Assuming the kid is mature enough I don't see any problem with it.

CHC

There seem to be a lot of people that think 13 years old in an innocent age in here...

Do you actually remember being 13? I wouldn't have bat an eyelash at GTA V.

"I won't play the story."

"A guy took three days of non-stop play to beat the story, I'll take my time!"

That's quite the conflicting set of statements, boy-o.
No game for you, and that graph at the end was an installment of "Stats from my ass!" for sure.

Nice try.

I watched Terminator and Halloween when I was 6, GTA at 11, and Halo at 7. I turned out fine.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
iirc, Emma Stone did the same (well, she wanted to become an actress).

But yeah, let him have it. Seems like a smart kid and at least he is honest about it.

MiguelItUp

I think this is amazing. If the parents want to get it for him, cool, it's their choice. But kudos to the kid for doing something like this.

Wow, pretty good slides for a 13 year old.

Welp, I still wouldn't have gotten him the game - and before people dog pile me saying '"He'll just go to his friends house" or "He'll just find another way"

I say, ok but at least I'm trying to do my diligence as a parent

Omega

Banned
good on the kid but

"safe-ish fun part"

Well, at least this gives the rest of the world some insight on why there will never be strict gun laws in America. Something natural (and essential for a species to not go extinct) is somehow worse than guns (something that causes species to go extinct)

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
No, they didn't do the right thing. Of course the kid is going to play the campaign.

I was at Best Buy a few months after GTA5 came out and ended up talking to a guy and his son in the game isle -- kid was about 6 or 7. GTA5 came up and I said "brilliant game, just not for kids!", the guy replied with a straight face "he plays it all the time". Lol u wut M8

No, they didn't do the right thing. Of course the kid is going to play the campaign.

I was at Best Buy a few months after GTA5 came out and ended up talking to a guy and his son in the game isle -- kid was about 6 or 7. GTA5 came up and I said "brilliant game, just not for kids!", the guy replied with a straight face "he plays it all the time". Lol u wut M8

Yup, I watched Child's Play as a 5 y/o and I grew up to be a murdering 2 1/2 foot doll.

I vote no buy.

Like any form of media, it's not a one size fits all solution.

Avari

Mature enough to present it intelligently? Most likely mature enough to play the game.

Age is never the issue, maturity is.

Very much this. I know people who would be horrified at the games I let my kids play - who then think nothing of letting their own children watch adult tv or movies. Most rating systems are guidelines. Ultimately I'll make a decision on a game by game basis - knowing my own child and how mature they are.

Top Bottom