• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1st psp Downloadable content for a game

neptunes

During an interview in this month's Edge Magazine, SCEE's Phil Harrison confirmed that downloadable content will be available via Wi-Fi for Sony’s upcoming futuristic racer, Wipeout Pure.

According to Harrison, a new track will be available for download each month. Just how many new tracks in total will arrive, and whether or not players will be able to download new vehicles is currently unknown.

For reference, Wipeout Pure footage was displayed at Sony’s pre-E3 press conference last month. IGN has the clips here.

Pick up a copy of this months Edge Magazine for a round-up on all the games which have been announced for the PSP, plus the full Phil Harrison interview.

aae.jpg

aab.jpg

Game screens above

BuddyC

I do wonder if this is true downloadable content, or if you'll just be downloading a key every month to unlock that track.

Scoobert

They're just giving you the heads up because they'll be charging you $5 a month for new tracks. Start saving now. ;)

neptunes

Though it may seems stupid I like how sony is rolling out an online plan for the psp. (hiring engineers and whatnot)

We don't even know if there will be online compatible games for the DS, I wish nintendo
spoke more about it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gunsmoke said:
I really don't care about this at all.
I will never buy an extra race track for wipe out.
&
I will never, ever, ever buy a playstation portable.
Frankly, they should think about changing the name from PSP to POS.
It's like a cry for banning.

BuddyC

Gunsmoke said:
&

Then why the fuck are you in here?

mr2mike

Banned
The Question is, will it rely on broadband/wifi and a small memory footprint per track and have you buy the key to a track and then download it per play, or will you have to save it to Memory Stick™ Duo™ with MagicGate™ ($$$) to save it?

It'd be cool if you could use the wifi to store it on your computer instead, that way you could take your portable out and when you wanted to play that track out of the range of your wireless home net, the PSP would display a message saying "You forgot the track at home dumbass!"

With that said, I've not doanloaded the PGR2 DLC, I dont think I'll be starting anytime soon :p

bjork

"new track every month"?

For what, one month? Seems like the promises of DL content never quite comes through in the long term.

Tellaerin

Everyone's a friggin' comedian.

Wellington said:

Only if it adds new camera control options and improves the enemy drivers' A.I. Otherwise, it's considered 'downloadable content'.

Wellington said:
We'll have to sign up for PSP Live.

I sure as hell hope not.

----

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to Wipeout Pure. Hopefully Sony'll start releasing more info about the game soon--I'm hoping it'll support 8+ player races via Wi-Fi. It'd also be nice if they get the Designers Republic to handle the graphic design elements again.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Seriously, this online thing has to stop. It's just a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer. Just give me all the freaking tracks already!

BuddyC

pcostabel said:
Seriously, this online thing has to stop. It's just a way to squeeze more money out of the consumer. Just give me all the freaking tracks already!

ahahahahahahahahahaha

Friend

Gunsmoke said:
Why ? You think they won't sell tracks on the PS3 version ?
Of course they will. Good One.

You barely make sense man.

Wipeout for PS3 hasn't even been announced. Who said they were gonna charge for downloadable content? Where are you getting this information? What does a PS3 version of wipeout have anything to do with this thread? Take your fanboy dogma out of this thread please.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
One track a month? Sounds pretty cool. I hope they plan on incorperating new vehicles (of course). I'm not that interested in a portable Wipeout at the moment but I'm glad SOMEONE took the initiative here.

Wow this whole download new content for your portable is very very cool stuff.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gunsmoke said:
How big is a UMD again ? - It's pretty hunch worthy that all the tracks are already on the disc
And you're just paying to unlock it.
UMD is 1.8 gig. "Downloadable" content which is actually only a key to unlock is by no means the norm. Just because its been done with a few XBL titles doesn't mean the rest of the gaming world will suddenly be doing it.

Finally, no one has yet said that these tracks will cost anything. There is nothing in the original post that says anything about charging for the tracks, just downloading.

BuddyC

Gunsmoke said:
If you think that they won't make a PS3 version of wipeout or similar, you're joking.
And if you think that Sony doesn't want to provide downloadable content to chew on your credit card, then you're fooling yourself.
If that doesn't make sense to you, then watch me care. . .

I can understand having a game that you love, and you decide to download and pay for an expansion pack. Ala Diablo II
But anyone who actually pays for downloadable content, like special car tires for GT5,
an extra track, or two, deserves everything that sony serves them up on a plate.

sad2.gif

Kon Tiki

Banned
kaching said:
UMD is 1.8 gig. "Downloadable" content which is actually only a key to unlock is by no means the norm. Just because its been done with a few XBL titles doesn't mean the rest of the gaming world will suddenly be doing it.

Finally, no one has yet said that these tracks will cost anything. There is nothing in the original post that says anything about charging for the tracks, just downloading.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/23/news_6101224.html

I see the word 'billing'.

Friend

Gunsmoke said:
If you think that they won't make a PS3 version of wipeout or similar, you're joking.
And if you think that Sony doesn't want to provide downloadable content to chew on your credit card, then you're fooling yourself.

I can understand having a game that you love, and you decide to download and pay for an expansion pack. Ala Diablo II
But anyone who actually pays for downloadable content, such as special car tires for GT5,
an extra track, or two, deserves everything that sony serves them up on a plate, or perhaps dog bowl.

More inference, no proof.

fausty

Gunsmoke said:

But anyone who actually pays for downloadable content, like special car tires for GT5,
an extra track, or two, deserves everything that sony serves them up on a plate.
Um, don't take this the wrong way, but you're an idiot. What you're seeing here is the future of gaming, expansions on the fly. Chew on my credit card? Are you high? Why can't people who want more tracks be able to download them if they so desire? It's not like Sony is secretly charging them or something...

I'm not sure if I even want the PSP Wipeout, but the very fact they're talking about this stuff now excites the hell out of me. I, for one, like the idea that a game I enjoy might get updates in the future... If you don't want updates, don't pay. It's as simple as that.

damn.. wipeout is an awesome game... with new tracks to keep it fresh..

I am definately an xbot.. but i may soon also be a PSP-bot...

the system sounds amazing, i just dont think ill have the $$$ to afford one right at the launch...

if i do have a job and money then, however, i will definately have an xbox 2 and PSP at launch next year... the PSP would/will be my first playstation branded product!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well, I'd like to see the number of tracks initially available for the game before jumping to any conclusions. If the number matches previous games, I don't think there's anything to get upset about. Then I'll probably consider it a way for the developers to keep the game alive, and to add game content that's been made after the game was released. Thankfully, noone is forced to buy the game. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Society said:
I see the word 'billing'.
I'm aware of what Sony's future plans are for online gaming transactions. But we know nothing about the specifics of those plans to know for sure if they will charge for *every* piece of downloadable content. Without direct reference to pricing with regard to *this* content, it's nothing more than an assumption and one that's not particularly well-founded.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
In that very same interview, Harrison says the cost for Wipeout Pure extra tracks "will be absorbed in the cost of the game".

mr2mike

Banned
"memory stick."

"Memory Stick™ Duo™ with MagicGate™ ($$$)"

Memorystick duo media

Hmmm... I thought it'd be more expensive than that, but You gotta love Sony's oportunistic spirit: since these max out at 128 MB, you KNOW, you'll eventually buy more than one if you use download content.

Haha, let the milking begin!

though I guess you cna't blame it all on milkage, I had printed an image of the PSP to scale, and putting a mem stick over it really does make it look like an impossible fit. a well, I guess it'll have to do :\

Gunsmoke said:
&
*rofl* Damn, this guy is an id****! Ban him

john2kx

god damnit.. is it too much to ask to just get the whole game when you buy it?

i mean, after all, they have a year to put all the tracks they want in the damn thing

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
john2kx said:
god damnit.. is it too much to ask to just get the whole game when you buy it?

i mean, after all, they have a year to put all the tracks they want in the damn thing

You can also think of it like this:
if a developer had unlimited time to develop a game, would the game ever be released? :p

What I'm saying is, they may continue to make tracks AFTER the game is released. It's not neccessarily that they're removing content just to release it later on.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So you get to download textures and lighting FXs and crap for the game later through Wifi?
I suppose so. I'm not quite sure how feasable that really is though. Those tracks would probably be at least 10-20MB each. That's a lot of room on the memory stick...

Scoobert

What I'm saying is, they may continue to make tracks AFTER the game is released. It's not neccessarily that they're removing content just to release it later on.

I rather have devs work on their next project. If we want tracks just give us a track editor. I think people would pay extra for a track editor than anything else. Trade your tracks with friends or people all over the world, then race online with those custom built tracks.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
mr2mike said:
"memory stick."

"Memory Stick™ Duo™ with MagicGate™ ($$$)"

Memorystick duo media

Hmmm... I thought it'd be more expensive than that, but You gotta love Sony's oportunistic spirit: since these max out at 128 MB, you KNOW, you'll eventually buy more than one if you use download content.

Haha, let the milking begin!

though I guess you cna't blame it all on milkage, I had printed an image of the PSP to scale, and putting a mem stick over it really does make it look like an impossible fit. a well, I guess it'll have to do :\

Mr2Mike, get your facts... straight before bitching :p.

PSP uses Memory Stick Pro Duo which maxes at 512 MB for now and it is not that expensive either: $49.98 for a 128 MB Memory Stick Pro Duo module.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000TN0X0/002-3298150-6974400?v=glance

Sandisk is the co-inventor of the PRO format together with Sony, they are reliable.

Top Bottom