• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 6.11 (Blizzcon, Quakecon, Mass Effect, Everyday Shooter)

Mass Effect is my most anticipated 360 title. Looks great.

I still hate the costumes, but I guess you can't get everything you want.

Hope the combat and AI hold up, because everything else looks very nice.

I love the fact that it looks to be so freeform in structure regarding what you need to do and say to NPCs.

Voice acting/performance capture isn't on the level of Heavenly Sword, but what is? It's still very close, and very high quality. Between this, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank, and maybe Uncharted and (hopefully) Alan Wake, the performance bar in video games is definitely being raised all the time.

Everyday Shooter is a title that I could fall for, being a music/guitar nut. I had kinda slotted this as just another Rez/EveryExtendExtra/GeoWars clone, but it looks like I was totally missing what a great experience this is going to be.

Love the visuals, too.

The thing that got me really excited though were all the unlockables. Awesome ideas there.

I also have to give props to Sony for taking these small developers with big artistic ideas and giving them a place to get their vision played on the PSN. I really appreciate that. They could have easily said, "Oh it's just one guy doing a weird little game, and we already have two other Robotron-style shooters in the store," and took a pass on this, but they didn't. Good for Phil Harrison and crew on the software side.

Price it right, Sony, and I'll buy it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I really hope they manage to deliver dialogue that's frequently interesting in Mass Effect...because most of the conversations they showed actually caught my attention, like watching a movie in many ways. But you can skip them if you want, right? Or at least fast-forward if the characters are just repeating the same thing again and again?

And the music (assuming it was in-game music and not 1up show-related) adds a lot to the atmosphere, sounds really different from what I expect in a game like this. Subtle and synthetic...almost got a Vangelis vibe, which is awesome.

Everything about Mass Effect looks amazing except for the vehicle. It never seems to fit in with its surroundings, it always looks like its floating. Looks awkward and clunky, it's ugly too.

jett

D-Member
Opus Angelorum said:
And Kathleen needs less, I'm not hating but I find her presence in most of the conversations void of any real interest.

I so wished the fake ending was real.

tanod

when is my burrito
kitwadventures2.gif

OMG You're avatar is fucking awesome. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stantron

:lol I need to find where Shaun Elliot got that pick of the frothing smiling seal. Oh god, that was a good laugh. Someone post if if they have it.

Mmmkay

Oh my, todayzee I must profess my love for you more than ever due to the climax of this episode... and I'm bloody gay... ;_;

FrankT

GhaleonQ said:
Did the fricking president of Bioware just say, "funnest?"

The Dr. is down with the urban dictionary.

Funnest is a regular superlative of the adjective fun. However, the use of fun as an adjective is itself still often seen as informal[1] or casual[2] and to be avoided in formal writing, and this would apply equally to the superlative form. Merriam-Webster, however, gives fun as an adjective without comment, and states that funner and funnest are ‘sometimes’ used[3]. Because of the remaining stigma, most fun may be preferred in formal writing.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/funnest

Guess he's going for casual Friday, but then again he ain't writing a novel.

I might have to procure some nuggets of choice smoke and arrange some real lame party for when Everyday Shooter releases. Any of you clowns live in Ann Arbor?

Just finished watching it. As usual Mass Effect looks good. Everyday Shooter looks good timepass. Will it support custom soundtrack or not?

MirageDwarf said:
Just finished watching it. As usual Mass Effect looks good. Everyday Shooter looks good timepass. Will it support custom soundtrack or not?

Wouldn't using a custom soundtrack for Everyday Shooter be somewhat akin to buying a nice painting only to plaster pictures of buttholes all over it?

AltogetherAndrews said:
Wouldn't using a custom soundtrack for Everyday Shooter be somewhat akin to buying a nice painting only to plaster pictures of buttholes all over it?
Well. I've no intention of using custom soundtrack initially. But after some time, variety is good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sp0rsk said:

Eh, I think it's a good question. After you beat the game, it'd be a nice bonus to listen to your own tracks and generate its own levels depending on the music, like Vib Ribbon. It wouldn't replace the main game but it'd be a nice bonus. Especially with how Ryan says its like listening to a whole album but while you play a game

Lo-Volt

I was wondering if we'll see more 1UP staffers in the next season, #6 has been a little light on some people we've been used to in previous seasons. Jenn Frank, Mielke (StarCraft II aside) and Pfister seem a little rare in comparison to the last year or so. Or maybe I've missed some episodes?

Lo-Volt said:
I was wondering if we'll see more 1UP staffers in the next season, #6 has been a little light on some people we've been used to in previous seasons. Jenn Frank, Mielke (StarCraft II aside) and Pfister seem a little rare in comparison to the last year or so. Or maybe I've missed some episodes?

I dont think any of those three have ever really been in any segments a lot.

I think the biggest change for the past few episodes was more GFW staff on video, which was awesome, even Ryan Scott showed up.

sp0rsk said:
Kathleen needs to work on her acting chops.

where is sp0rsk show episode 3? its long overdue.

Lo-Volt

Linkzg said:
I think the biggest change for the past few episodes was more GFW staff on video, which was awesome, even Ryan Scott showed up.

That was very nice to see. Those guys are great on camera, especially Shawn.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Linkzg said:
I dont think any of those three have ever really been in any segments a lot.

where is sp0rsk show episode 3? its long overdue.

Something is in the works, something a little different!

Mass Effect looks much more impressive in terms of being an actual game then I'd seen before. But I still think anybody that watches those cutscenes and doesn't think they'd be laughed out a cinema is in denial. The way of controlling your team mid-action combined with a create a character and awesome awesome awesome scale more than makes up for it though.

Everyday Shooter is going to make me so sad when it's released on a platform I have no money for.

As for PC games...yeah, I don't allow myself to get excited about games that will crash on my PC. But Left 4 Dead looks really cool.

Yoboman

Gold Member
MickeyKnox said:
Left 4 Dead is awesome as per usual (fuck them for Valve-timing it)

Mass Effect was hothothot, the only small nitpick I have is that because the conversation tree and facial animation are well implemented the "gamey-ness" of the characters placements and standing while talking is kinda jarring for me. Because I'm not just reading a text box to get what ever info from an npc but actually interacting with a performance I'm now looking at the whole frame and trying to read body language along with facial expression and the facial animation work is so good that it makes the otherwise acceptable body animations stick out like sore thumb. Gameplay looked fucking ace and once again the sound production is pure sex.

Everyday shooter is really fucking awesome, insta buy for me.
Yeah there was a slightly jarring pause between segments in the conversation that stood out. I'd like to see some hand movement too, just to give it that extra level of realness to the characters

It doesn't even have to be anything elaborate

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Mass Effect does look great, I really hope the story is good. There's not much to nitpick on this game, it really looks like something that will suck you in. I love the gameplay changes they've made from Kotor (it wasn't my style of game). The characters are really well designed and executed. They really feel like they got character.

I am not sure if it'll be GOTY for me, but honestly it doesn't matter what game is. There are a group of games I am hoping to really enjoy this season.

Everyday shooter, I really respect but I don't think I'll get it. I'm a big fan of shooters but something about it doesn't appeal to me. I think it's great that Sony picked it up for PSN though. It's original and has a lot of style and substance.

As for the Blizzcon/Quakecon... not really anything I am too interested in. I don't want to be interested in WOW. Talk about the money they are raking in though, $10 a month and 9 million subscribers? Someone is getting seriously, insanely rich.

Slavik81

I think I have to disagree. Mass effect looked pretty poor. The voice acting was stiff and disjointed, but even worse... it was slow. I'd rather have text. I could probably read at 3-4 times that speed. (As KotOR taught me, it's better to have subtitles than voice acting).

The team-based action elements were quite good, though. It's disheartening that Mass Effect's saving grace was the combat and not the RPG aspects... but maybe the overarching story will be compelling.

All I had followed on Mass Effect thus far was the occasional batch of screenshots. I am now instantly sold- that's pure awesome.

Quellex said:
Buy it on your 360!

I must have missed that. Good times, I'll probably pick it up if it maintains the awesome.

Thunderbear said:
Mass Effect does look great, I really hope the story is good. There's not much to nitpick on this game, it really looks like something that will suck you in. I love the gameplay changes they've made from Kotor (it wasn't my style of game). The characters are really well designed and executed. They really feel like they got character.

That worries me. I don't listen to the voice acting in Dragon Quest 8 and I actually like it, just because it's so slow opposed to text. The way people speak in Mass Effect doesn't seam to be in any way natural or realistic. It's just people taking it in turns to read 5 lines to one another.

AltogetherAndrews said:
well, what if the game looks cool and interesting, but the music sounds shitty?

voltron

sp0rsk said:
Kathleen needs to work on her acting chops.

Nah she did fine for what it was. Its not like theyre even meant to have acting skills.

I thought that was a brilliant episode this week.

Top Bottom