• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 02/15/2008

Uh oh, storytelling discussion? I shall be booored.

Not surprised NMH didn't go down well apparently. It's a total love it or hate it game. I don't think any game should be allowed to be released with it's flaws though, the overworld is fucking ridiculous.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Saterium said:
I thought the uncensored sex scene took place with (his name escapes me) the black detective and his girl friend before heading to work. I think the screen just turns away in the American version or something similar.

I'm assuming you're thinking of the scene near the end of the game in the subway?

That's the second scene.

That was one was stupid. I'm talking about the stuff with his ex, which was optional.

oneHeero

voltron said:
I would understand if it was a game like Fable 2 or MGS4 or GTA4 or something. But Resistance 2? Give me a break.
Wow, out of all games you actually picked fable. For shame. :lol

good podcast....

was gettin annoyed when everyone was hatin' on N'Gai's affection for "The Club"

...its just fucking good, so be content with that =p

AgentOtaku said:
good podcast....

was gettin annoyed when everyone was hatin' on N'Gai's affection for "The Club"

...its just fucking good, so be content with that =p

Yes, that was annoying, especially (as far as I could understand), none of them even played the demo of The Club, and they just judged it on the basis of some screenshots, and the way they imagined the gameplay to be.

As N'Gai said, the Time Attack events in The Club (where you do multiple laps) are especially exciting and original, and are the most fun I've had in a shooter in a long time.

Norml

R1 was the best fps on consoles at the time.It looked the best with tress/grass swaying and had good physics + some detructible cover in the enviroment.

The Backlash grenade is also nice:D

Xater

BrokenSymmetry said:
Yes, that was annoying, especially (as far as I could understand), none of them even played the demo of The Club, and they just judged it on the basis of some screenshots, and the way they imagined the gameplay to be.

As N'Gai said, the Time Attack events in The Club (where you do multiple laps) are especially exciting and original, and are the most fun I've had in a shooter in a long time.

It was based on presentations they got not screenshots. No one had to imagnine the gameplay. :lol

Skip playe dit and wasn't too impressed either.

Crusade

voltron said:
What?

You cant honestly say that - to use N'Gai's words - a sequel to a meat 'n' potatoes shooter is more exciting than context based battle systems, a faux-morality mechanic and pet dogs? Can you? Really? REALLY?
You grouped the sequel to one of the biggest underdeliveries of all time with the likes of MGS4 and GTAIV. That's laughable

tyler

Epic show & thread.

I liked Shawn's debut. It was odd him being so quiet for long periods but he's now on a show with Mangod so you've gotta make room. When he did get involved it brought some much needed perspective on the Resistance situation and everything he said was fair. Though I'd add that I think Resistance 2 is getting a lot of attention because of how open Insomniac are to the community.

This thread has been an interesting read aswell, I don't normally read the weekly threads but knew there would be a defence force deployed. Then Luke shows up and my Saturday is made.

So Shawn's not leaving the Brodeo? I did think the reasons were odd. Over to the GFW thread...

Hopefully these four (and Skip always deserves a loving mention) can be locked week by week now as I think everyone adds something.

Keep up the great work guys.

Oh and just to add to the Club discussion, have a watch of VideoGaiden - Episode 11. They've got N'Gai's back. (not sure if you can watch that outside the UK)

Danielsan

As much as I like hearing Shawn on GFW I strongly dislike hearing constant dislikes and downplaying on 1upyours. We get it dude PC games are superiour, you hate cutscenes and Half Life 2 has the best story telling since ever etc...

tyler

For me it's just the same as Shane liking anything on PS3 and I generally think Shawn backs his opinion up a little better. It's another angle. I like that.

ice cream

Banned
Danielsan said:
As much as I like hearing Shawn on GFW I strongly dislike hearing constant dislikes and downplaying on 1upyours. We get it dude PC games are superiour, you hate cutscenes and Half Life 2 has the best story telling since ever etc...
Well you've really read Shawn the wrong way.

pswii60

I liked N'Gai's level headed-ness when discussing the Jan NPDs. He actually turned it in to an intelligent debate for once. N'Gai also refuses to be suckered in to the hype - when discussing R2 and KZ2, he is nothing but completely honest about what he saw and feels, discussing the positives and negatives without blowing them out of proportion. I hope they get him on the show more often.

Jacobi

Banned
Very good podcast, but I had the feeling N'Gai was very pissed of offa Shawn's photography/movies-comparison comment :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Jacobi said:
Very good podcast, but I had the feeling N'Gai was very pissed of offa Shawn's photography/movies-comparison comment :lol

I still can't understand what he says that makes Garnet laugh.

Crusade

I question how much Shawn actually knows about Resistance 2 or has read. I could understand him getting like that if it seemed like a by-the-numbers sequel, but it is anything but from what we've seen

I don't think Shawn was at all comfortable.

Most of the issues he discussed were never explored and Shane constantly tried so speak on his behalf, I find that really annoying.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Most of the issues he discussed were never explored and Shane constantly tried so speak on his behalf, I find that really annoying.

It's the 1st podcast. Let's not start trowing stones at anybody.

The 4 will become better with each passing episode.

tino said:
Shawn used DMC as an example of bad cinematic cut scenes? What's wrong....I mean, why doesn't he go back to rip off somethingawful.com skits or something?

(I am not saying everybody has to appreicate DMC's camppy humor, but Shawn Elliot's entire reputation was based on camppy, irrelevant, bad-tasted jokes, he has no position to complain DMC's cheesy cut scenes.)

what?

probune

I usually really like Shawn but he seemed to be bashing without a lot of merit on this podcast. Not talking about No More Heroes because he backed that up with extensive impressions there, but with Resistance and MGS3 he didn't have that much of an argument.

He calls Resistance mediocre because other shooters are better but it's not a good argument. I'd like to hear him go into it a little deeper.

And the MGS3 thing was worse because not only was he fighting The Boss wrong but he was essentially complaining about the menu system and not the boss fight in general.

Woo-Fu

Banned
dLMN8R said:
You realize that Shawn's played practically every console FPS in existence, right? He's not comparing Resistance to the best of PC FPSs - why would he have used his 8/10 Crysis example instead of his 10/10 HL2 Episode Two example if that was the case?

For somebody who has "played practically every console FPS in existence", and somebody we know to be an avid online player, I find it strange that he hasn't ever played Resistance online. As one of the very few console FPS games that features stuff he takes for granted on PC(dedicated servers, 32 players, etc.), one wonders why he hasn't made time to look at that aspect of Resistance. Having not done so sure comes in convenient when he feels the need to trash the game, though, doesn't it?

Believe it or not, it is possible for him(and you), to be wrong. :)

He places inordinate value upon "doing new things" while disdaining people who do "the same old stuff" very well. Is FPS dead too?

Next time Garnett uses a Ginsu reference he needs to ask himself one question: Which is more impressive? Slicing a tomato after sawing through a tin can that would dull a normal knife(correct answer), or sawing through a tin can after slicing a tomato(Garnett's answer). :D The way everybody on the podcast let that slide I wonder if he was making a face like that was a joke, or if all of them just rolled their eyes and moved on.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
Believe it or not, it is possible for him(and you), to be wrong. :)

Because "we" are more right than him. Opinions....

Woo-Fu said:
He places inordinate value upon "doing new things" while disdaining people who do "the same old stuff" very well. Is FPS dead too?

Of course, but see for example COd4 is an example of a FPS doing SP in the same old way, but in a way that doesn't feel derivative, unlike Resistance.

Woo-Fu

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Of course, but see for example COd4 is an example of a FPS doing SP in the same old way, but in a way that doesn't feel derivative, unlike Resistance.

He doesn't like CoD gameplay in singleplayer either(based upon the podcasts I've listened to), maybe you haven't been listening to the podcasts where CoD vs. Crysis or CoD vs. Orangebox have been prominent. He always rags on the heavily scripted, infinitely respawning enemy, no progress till you hit an invisible tripwire gameplay.

CoD4 singplayer is as derivative as it gets. They do some nice stuff with in-game cutscenes when it comes to storytelling but the gameplay itself? We've been down that road before, Neo.

Thing is, Resistance is a much easier target to attack. It is only on the PS3 so even when people call you out you can smugly label them as PS3/Sony fanboys and move on.

Excellent podcast.

I really liked Shawn's contribution and I think he's going to be awesome on the show. Just one little piece of advice: If you're going to bash something, at least back it up. I would have liked a bit more explanation about why Shawn didn't like Resistance, in the same way that he detailed what he didn't like about No More Heroes. I think it was just saying, "I didn't like it, Crysis is way, way, better" is what got everyone's panties in a bunch earlier in the thread, there just wasn't much detail as to why he felt that way. Maybe it was time constraints? I listen to GFW religiously and he does a fantastic job of explaining why he likes/dislikes something there.

N'Gai was awesome, as always. Not much to say, but every time he's on the show it's like a guaranteed stamp of of quality for the week.

NPD talk was kind of flat, nothing to write home about.

WrikaWrek said:

Call Of Duty 4 is extremely derivative outside of its pretty visuals.

Dartastic

Opus Angelorum said:

Well, what I really noticed is that Garnett kept trying to make him feel even more comfortable by attempting to pause the discussion to let him speak, instead of everyone just dog-piling on top of each other trying to get the last word in. It didn't always work, but I was definitely aware of it happening. Often it seemed like Shawn would make a point and everyone would just ignore him, or they'd just keep the discussion moving instead of elaborating and expanding on what Shawn had to say. The only person who seemed to respond well to his comments seemed to be N'Gai. They were fantastic together. Shawn definitely helps balance out the show, and I'm glad he's on. Keep up the good work.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
probune said:
I usually really like Shawn but he seemed to be bashing without a lot of merit on this podcast.

He calls Resistance mediocre because other shooters are better but it's not a good argument. I'd like to hear him go into it a little deeper.
Maybe I'm just forgetting, but it seemed to me like he was trying to explain why but Garnett changed the topic.

Edit: Get N'Gai on the Brodeo sometime, would be pretty awesome.

voltron said:
What?

You cant honestly say that - to use N'Gai's words - a sequel to a meat 'n' potatoes shooter is more exciting than context based battle systems, a faux-morality mechanic and pet dogs? Can you? Really? REALLY?

fable 2 isn't in the same league in terms of recognition as the other games..

But you have a point...a pet dog, without the required attention and crapping all over the place...revolutionary

Mindlog

I used to like ................. until she started talking about not liking things that i liked. Like know what I mean? It's like omg like you're not an expert on everything, how can you not like it, but like you normally seem like a pretty likable person.

Like, I can't believe it.

N'Gai would slide in perfectly as a Brodeo 5th if he played PC games.

All in all good podcast. You get the sense there's some taking your shoes off at the door courtesy going on. Sooner or later though it'll be time to take a shit with the door open.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
He doesn't like CoD gameplay in singleplayer either(based upon the podcasts I've listened to), maybe you haven't been listening to the podcasts where CoD vs. Crysis or CoD vs. Orangebox have been prominent. He always rags on the heavily scripted, infinitely respawning enemy, no progress till you hit an invisible tripwire gameplay.

CoD4 singplayer is as derivative as it gets. They do some nice stuff with in-game cutscenes when it comes to storytelling but the gameplay itself? We've been down that road before, Neo.

Thing is, Resistance is a much easier target to attack. It is only on the PS3 so even when people call you out you can smugly label them as PS3/Sony fanboys and move on.

See, COD4 is heavily scripted, and comparing to other games, like Half life 2 for example it just isn't up to par design wise.

I personally like COD4 alot, because i love scripted gameplay as much as more open ended gameplay. The thing is, even on that level of comparison, Resistance fails, because it is heavily scripted but it's not even as good as COD.

Really, what did Resistance do well in the SP? Story sucked, the levels felt like weren't even connected to one another many times, story was non existant, characters were non existant, big action scripted setpieces were forgettable, combat was run of the mill and the much hyped weapons of resistance didn't do anything particularly engaging.

And resistance doesn't have 1 memorably moment that sticks with you, Cod4 has many. So while on a base level COD4 should get as much criticism as Resistance, fact is, Cod4 did 10x more with that "Rollercoaster" mentality than Resistance ever did.

MP wise i'm not a fan but that's because i thought the game was waay too fast online, alot of jumping around, twitchy gameplay, which is weird given the setting, but i didn't see anything wrongly done, it was just not my type.

And you say Resistance is an easy target, i disagree, it's a much harder target, because one bad mention and you get a army assaulting you, why? Simple, because it's Ps3 exclusive.

Red Blaster said:
Call Of Duty 4 is extremely derivative outside of its pretty visuals.

It's not derivative in the sense that it gives you a kind of experience you haven't had before, in the sense that it trows at you action setpiece after action setpiece that make it a memorable game, you've played a game that plays like this, but the things that happen here are different.

It's like DMC4, you've played it before...but not like this.

It doesn't feel like a filler game, because Infinity ward took their expertize in linear gameplay and said "Let's push this, make the best scripted events ever", and Insomniac was like "Well, let's just do a good enough game", and that to me is derivative.

Twig

Banned
tanod said:
Why? Did you work on the game?
Uh... no... I just think it's a good game. I would think my post explains my reasoning pretty well...

Trust me, if I had worked on the game, I'd have made damn sure that the overworld wasn't so terribly implemented.
_leech_ said:
NPD talk was kind of flat, nothing to write home about.
Did you expect otherwise? That's like an inherent quality of "NPD talk". Sales are so goddamn boring. It's nice to see a good game getting the sales it deserves, but that's about as far as the talk should go.
Mindlog said:
fable 2 isn't in the same league in terms of recognition as the other games..
That doesn't mean it SHOULDN'T be... (Not that I'm saying it should be! But I'm certainly more interested in Fable 2 than Resistance 2.)

Z3F

Banned
Why does Shawn have to justify what he said about Resistance? Outside of GAF, who the hell thinks that Resistance is a top tier FPS? Not the fans, critics, or developers as evidenced by sales or awards.

Also, it wasn't like he got a chance to say anything after Shane jumped in and Garnet stopped the whole argument.

TDG

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

In the previous 1UPY shows Shawn was on, it was the same way. First 15 minutes, it seemed like he wasn't there at all. Over time, he started talking more and made some good points. He already has made quite an impact on the show, I think it really seemed like it was absent because of the very start, and his abscence in the NPD discussion. I'd give it some time.

I really enjoyed the show though, it was the best in a while.

It was cool to have a bit of Halo 3 talk, since we haven't heard anything about it (outside of sales) on the show since launch. I think Shawn is right, Halo has hit its peak. It got good reviews, sold well, but it's not radically different, so when award time comes around, it's sort of forgotten. In the meantime, COD4 has been a media darling since E3. Now, I do think over time Halo 3 will have more staying power as a popular multiplayer game.

:lol @ Garnett using leveling-up weapons as proof that COD4 is a far better multiplayer game than Halo 3.

Z3F

Banned
Garnett has gotten too defensive. He needs to stop caring about what a small minority of gamers think on a messageboard and just say whatever the fuck he wants.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Z3F said:
Why does Shawn have to justify what he said about Resistance? Outside of GAF, who the hell thinks that Resistance is a top tier FPS? Not the fans, critics, or developers as evidenced by sales or awards.

Also, it wasn't like he got a chance to say anything after Shane jumped in and Garnet stopped the whole argument.

It's Gaf foo we must know everything and at the same time nothing! :D

Big-E

Z3F said:

Sigh...

Z3F said:

TomCruise2.jpg

Z3F

Banned
So Shawn and I are weird because we think a game with a 86.7 score at gamerankings, 0 GOTYs from major publications or sites and 0 nominations at last year's GDC isn't one of the top shooters?

Z3F said:
So Shawn and I are weird because we think a game with a 86.7 score at gamerankings, 0 GOTYs from major publications or sites and 0 nominations at last year's GDC isn't one of the top shooters?
It was actually like a 89 but then some places have reviews from like serveral months/years later with like 70s.

Big-E

Z3F said:

Its great to site game rankings to prove points but how about you actually discuss why you think it deserves a mediocre aside from it just does? Taking reviews from this game are not really fair because a majority of the reviewers at the time did not play through the whole game and then you have the two infamous Eurogamer reviews where they posted the same factual inaccuracies about the game.

Z3F

Banned
I don't want it to seem like what I'm saying is just based on scores and awards. My own personal opinion of Resistance has nothing to do with what critics say.

I just don't get why some here still find it shocking whenever someone isn't impressed by Resistance. Even if I thought Resistance was awesome, it's obvious that the majority of the gaming world didn't feel the same way.

Top Bottom