• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours podcast 7/28/06

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think 1up knows that they are considered the cat's meow amongst the gaming community, so why not talk a little shit about shitty IGN? :D

LukeSmith

TheWolf said:
TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW.

I'm not being vague and coy. The question, admittedly phrased like dogshit, my bad, it was early, is an important one, because I am concerned that the Wii will be a platform with a shorter lifespan while Nintendo readies a concept that will incorporate next-generation tech, beside it's simplified Wii control-scheme. That's rooted in nothing other than my own conjecture -- I don't want anyone to think this is based in something I've been told -- it's just my own pet theory.

VALIS

John Davison (on Cooking Mama): "This is essentially very, very similar [to Wario World]. The way into the game is you make boiled rice."

silence...
silence...
silence...

Luke: "Fuck that!"

Don't ever change, dude. :)

GeoramA

l listened to the podcast on my PSP, so it was pretty interesting to hear them talk about it's non-gaming capabilities toward the end of the show. PSP really is a powerful piece of tech and Sony should push the system's other capabilities more.

GeoramA said:
l listened to the podcast on my PSP, so it was pretty interesting to hear them talk about it's non-gaming capabilities toward the end of the show. PSP really is a powerful piece of tech and Sony should push the system's other capabilities more.

honestly, i think they have pushed the other features too much. I would perfer it to be "here is this awesome gaming device and btw it does some other cool things" vs. "this is a mega cool gadget we all must own!" im on the fence about buying one and im only concerned with it being a gaming platform. i think if it was a more focused device there may be more support. but im just hypothesizing

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Scoot said:
I'm not being vague and coy. The question, admittedly phrased like dogshit, my bad, it was early, is an important one, because I am concerned that the Wii will be a platform with a shorter lifespan while Nintendo readies a concept that will incorporate next-generation tech, beside it's simplified Wii control-scheme. That's rooted in nothing other than my own conjecture -- I don't want anyone to think this is based in something I've been told -- it's just my own pet theory.
Well, GBC games were compatible all the way up to the GBA SP and GBA games work on the DSL. GC games will play on the Wii - so even if there is something that plays a new format of games relatively soon, I'm sure it will play Wii games as well.

Y2Kev

Mrbob said:
If RE5 is now PS3 exclusive that will piss me off.

I personally doubt it will be...but it is an interesting rumble. The OPM podcast also had Scooter saying that he's hearing rumblings from his source that TGS will be "awesome." They received no early news on E3. This could get interesting.

Sony has to blow the doors off the place at TGS.

Mrbob

Well I guess it will be another reason for me to get a PS3 eventually.

I've been saying all along I think Sony is going to steal the show at TGS and this event is the true PS3 unveiling.

Y2Kev

I still feel so strangely about how Sega handles that, "ARE YOU MAKING DREAMCAST 2?" question. Why are they so tacit in answering it?

They need to say, "No, we're not making a ****ing Dreamcast 2, stop asking, Sega fanboys." Instead they are like, "Oh, we're happy where we are now, we can't do that right now, we're very pleased to be third party..."

And then the rumors start all over again. Sega, you abusive spouse you.

Proelite

Scoot said:
It's not a bias as much as it is a frustration with executives making statements like "It's the machine to beat" and providing no real concrete evidence as to why other than ...brand loyalty? Really? The $600 price point isn't a concern? "People spend tons of money on tech gadgets now anyway" -- that was his excuse? I ****ing failed you all when I didn't say "Do you have any facts to support that, because HDTV sales sure as **** don't."

Sorry GAF. My bad.

I have to agree with you. I was getting very embarassed at the pr person's answers. You can tell that he was retreating from your and Garnett's more logical reasoning.

Mrbob

To play devil's advocate for a second, if you look at the European numbers the 360 is not doing too hot there. 3.3 million shipped in the USA, only 1.3 million shipped in Europe. Sell through in Europe is under one million at the moment. The PS2 has sold nearly 40 million in Europe, the Xbox has sold around 5 million. It is not even close. At least the Xbox has posted a respectable number in the USA, but it is the only territory where the Xbox has made any real headway. The Xbox brand isn't even a viable second option yet in Europe, and the Sony pull is still strong. Japan the Xbox 360 is toast. USA is the only real battleground, and the Sega VP of marketing was correct when he mentioned the only territory where 3 viable platforms have succeeded is in the USA.

Yeah the 360 isn't the Xbox, however Europe is getting the exact same games as the USA and many games which has crossover appeal. Yet the 360 in Europe is selling at about 1/3 the rate it is in the USA.

jax (old)

Banned
Up to the sega dude is. Luke's nintendo's revisionist remarks are so completely stupid and pointless. DS--dslite. What's the difference, plays the same games.. etc. Trying to make it sound like a major issue = ridiculous

TheGrue

Jax said:
Up to the sega dude is. Luke's nintendo's revisionist remarks are so completely stupid and pointless. DS--dslite. What's the difference, plays the same games.. etc. Trying to make it sound like a major issue = ridiculous

Further to that point, I don't recall ever revising their home consoles, only their handhelds. Handhelds beg to have frequent upgrades, due to them being cheaper and the fact that even something as simple as improving the screen can make a big difference. Home consoles, though, don't beg to be only slightly updated (cue people saying Wii is just a GC upgrade with nifty peripherals).

Scoot said:

I support this theory, as it somewhat makes decent business sense. With the Wii, Nintendo gets a new console launch for the start of this gen (keeping their name relevant in the minds of home-console purchasing consumers), gets to test out the response to and acceptance level of the risky control scheme, and gets to keep the price down for this experiment with the Wii's minimally upgraded hardware. In a couple of years, prices will drop dramatically for all this "next-gen" hardware tech, and "Wii Squared" could be a possibility - incorporating the by-now accepted controller (assumption), backwards compatibility, and adding 360/PS3-level graphical capabilities - while keeping the price low for consumers as per Nintendo's standard business model.

jjasper

Scoot said:
It's not a bias as much as it is a frustration with executives making statements like "It's the machine to beat" and providing no real concrete evidence as to why other than ...brand loyalty? Really? The $600 price point isn't a concern? "People spend tons of money on tech gadgets now anyway" -- that was his excuse? I ****ing failed you all when I didn't say "Do you have any facts to support that, because HDTV sales sure as **** don't."

Sorry GAF. My bad.
I think it is more of a problem that whenever you talk about any company other than MS there is some sort of jab at the company. Give it time when (if) you say something bad about MS they will back off.

Edit: And after the whole WOW thing I really have a hard time believing RE5 is PS3 exclusive

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eel O'Brian said:
I support this theory, as it somewhat makes decent business sense. With the Wii, Nintendo gets a new console launch for the start of this gen (keeping their name relevant in the minds of home-console purchasing consumers), gets to test out the response to and acceptance level of the risky control scheme, and gets to keep the price down for this experiment with the Wii's minimally upgraded hardware. In a couple of years, prices will drop dramatically for all this "next-gen" hardware tech, and "Wii Squared" could be a possibility - incorporating the by-now accepted controller (assumption), backwards compatibility, and adding 360/PS3-level graphical capabilities - while keeping the price low for consumers as per Nintendo's standard business model.

I don't really agree with that at all, I actually think it'll have a long lifespan as a platform if it's successful, but not in the DS/=DSLite sense, I think we'll have possibly more than one revision but with the same game compatibility. I don't think Nintendo's planning to have a short life cycle with Wii at all, it's not really about having next gen tech in there or not, that's a really conventional thought for videogames that Wii is trying to avoid completely, Wii isn't about graphics, in fact when it's all said and done I think the Virtual Console will be the center of Wii, not only with classic games but with new simple games, and most of them will be far from pushing the chipset, much less needing next gen tech to run. Nintendo's gonna be revising Wii with more storage and stuff like that, I think they've sort of built it with that on purpose, but they're not gonna be cutting the cycle short unless it's a failure at the market, I don't think that's their plan at all with the graphics.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Golden Axe would actually be a better fit for XBLA or the PS3 Download service vis a vis the tie in perspective.

medrew

Jax said:

Now correct me if I am wrong, but your avatar is too big.

Shard said:
Golden Axe would actually be a better fit for XBLA or the PS3 Download service vis a vis the tie in perspective.
Yeah, I think he bascially hinted as much, likely would see the arcade version of Golden Axe on XBLA or something.

Another great show, I thought the Sega interview was interesting for a lot of reasons. First, the M-rated stuff on Wii thing. He basically confirmed what a lot of people think, that is that many third-parties look to put their M-rated stuff on other platforms, I think this is what scares me into Wii becoming another Gamecube (ala a bunch of great Nintendo games and mostly kid-oriented 3rd party stuff). Also like others said, his classification of M-rated games as being all about wife beaters and blood was borderline ignorant.

One thing that confuses me is Sega keeps patting itself on the back for it's Wii support, but it's really rather underwhelming IMO. There will be a Sonic game on PS3/360 before Wii and despite this Sega guy basically in so many words shitting on the 360, I would venture that there will be more Sega 360 releases than Wii releases between Nov 06 and Nov 07. If Sega really supports the Wii, I would expect to see 360/PS3 level support and I don't see it (Although it was interesting that he mentioned Silicon Knights whom I thought Sega is working with on something, when talking about western developers on the Wii)

On the Wii revision thing, I've been pushing that for months, I really think it's a very real chance that in '08 or so if Wii takes off, there will be a new Wii that incorporates HD and some tech advances. I think by 08-09 people will want HD more and Nintendo might meet that demand

Oh and I wish someone would have asked about Chromehounds and if he had heard anything about how the game is doing or if he was surprised by the sort of following it seems to be gaining

I haven't had the chance to listen yet, but it was apparently a good show with a lot of hot topics.

Some interesting quotes...

-Playstation: "...the one to beat"

-PS3 "The machine is more powerful than anything."

-"...now it truly is on par with a $10,000 $15,000, $20,000, $30,000 arcade machine. So, you know, you put that against the fact that it's also on par with a $1000+ consumer electronics device [Blu-ray] you know, the PS3 something to marvel at. It's a big piece of technology."

(thanks to Ye_olde_gamer on the IGN Board)

This starting to sound crazy. I can't wait to listen to hear if he really said all that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, I certainly think that Sega is overrating thier support for the Wii at this point in time as well. Hell, Activison looks to have stronger Wiii support at launch then Sega.

Mrbob

Well Sega can toot their horn because they are bringing their big selling GC games to the Wii, which will also get big sales.

For such an innovative system, they are playing it safe with their releases.

sol_bad

Mrbob said:
If RE5 is now PS3 exclusive that will piss me off.

You fail if you never thought of this outcome.
Capcom are a Japanese company and the 360 is an American console. Anyone that bought a 360 that loves Japanese games fails straight away.
People with the money that bought a 360 and love Japanese games will obviously buy a PS3 aswell. If you can't afford both consoles and love Japanese games then what are you doing a 360?
The majority of 360 owners probably don't care about Japanese games either.
All the Japanese games released on the original Xbox got really shitty sales. Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Onimusha and Project Zero.
With the Xbox consoles the Japanese devs have a user base of atleast 20 million (based on Xbox 1) to make sales from. Mean while the PS3 user base has atleast 90 million (based on PS2) to make sales from.
Considering this is it worth Cappcom's time to spend the extra costs to put a big franchise like RE5 on the 360 to garner an extra couple hundred thousand sales?

mikeGFG

Banned
sol_bad said:
You fail if you never thought of this outcome.
Capcom are a Japanese company and the 360 is an American console. Anyone that bought a 360 that loves Japanese games fails straight away.
People with the money that bought a 360 and love Japanese games will obviously buy a PS3 aswell. If you can't afford both consoles and love Japanese games then what are you doing a 360?
The majority of 360 owners probably don't care about Japanese games either.
All the Japanese games released on the original Xbox got really shitty sales. Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Onimusha and Project Zero.
With the Xbox consoles the Japanese devs have a user base of atleast 20 million (based on Xbox 1) to make sales from. Mean while the PS3 user base has atleast 90 million (based on PS2) to make sales from.
Considering this is it worth Cappcom's time to spend the extra costs to put a big franchise like RE5 on the 360 to garner an extra couple hundred thousand sales?

Exactly what I was thinking. No one understands that the Xbox userbase will never buy a shooter, regardless if its the sequel to the best game of 2004.

Capcom should really hedge their bets and cancel Dead Rising, and Lost Planet too. Don't they realize that regardless of appeal or game content, no Xbox user will buy a game from Japan?

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Sony has to blow the doors off the place at TGS.

I really think, at the end of the day, it's gonna be very hard for them to do. What they are securing if something like RE5 goes PS3 exclusive is that the system is able to guarantee itself some minimum sales bar that's at least a little healthy. But at the end, it's all contingent on how fast they can start bringing the price down in a year or so after it launches. Until then, everyone will look at screens and videos and commercials and think "that looks nice... but for $600?" It should be interesting... TGS is the last place for them to prove themselves and turn around all this negative media attention and I hope they bring out some big guns.

A curious sidenote: I wonder if securing these big franchises from an era when traditional titles were more popular is the thing PS3 needs to be doing... I wonder if, once again, Nintendo (or some other company) will create one or two "innovative" (to the market) titles that becomes a total killer app and then all these secured franchises will seem old hat and relatively insignificant. I think, in Japan at the very least, this is something that has already started long ago.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
I really think, at the end of the day, it's gonna be very hard for them to do. What they are securing if something like RE5 goes PS3 exclusive is that the system is able to guarantee itself some minimum sales bar that's at least a little healthy. But at the end, it's all contingent on how fast they can start bringing the price down in a year or so after it launches. Until then, everyone will look at screens and videos and commercials and think "that looks nice... but for $600?" It should be interesting... TGS is the last place for them to prove themselves and turn around all this negative media attention and I hope they bring out some big guns.

A curious sidenote: I wonder if securing these big franchises from an era when traditional titles were more popular is the thing PS3 needs to be doing... I wonder if, once again, Nintendo (or some other company) will create one or two "innovative" (to the market) titles that becomes a total killer app and then all these secured franchises will seem old hat and relatively insignificant. I think, in Japan at the very least, this is something that has already started long ago.

Well I think the gaming industry has always been this way. You can't rely on existing franchises to carry your system from one generation to the next. There are always breakout new franchises which drive hardware sales each generation, and existing franchises help suppliment the userbase.

Scoot said:

Sorry GAF. My bad.

I am getting rather tired of the brand loyality excuse. It didn't work for the N64, why would it automatically work for the PS3? I want to hear good logical reasons and it doesn't seem that anyone at any game development house has any. Thanks for at least asking even though you got the standard run of the mill "non answer" to your questions.

Maybe you can pre-face future questions with "Besides brand loyality..."

Y2Kev

Well, think of how many new franchises Sony (and Microsoft, for that matter) created in the "traditional" style that will be huge next gen. Sony seems to keep flushing their IPs every gen. They had Spyro and Crash, switched to Rachet and Jak. No Jet Moto...very little Twisted Metal.

Nintendo will continue to do their own thing and I know it doesn't preclude Sony and Microsoft from giving us what we love already.

And remember, the hottest game in America (and doing quite well for itself in Japan) is a REAL 2d mario game. Nintendo has their little..."activity" games, but they also have (and have a ton more coming) of the franchises and titles we know and love. Now show us ****ing Pikmin 3 and we'll be in business.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
Well I think the gaming industry has always been this way. You can't rely on existing franchises to carry your system from one generation to the next. There are always breakout new franchises which drive hardware sales each generation, and existing franchises help suppliment the userbase.

Of course, but what I mean is... these are always usually traditional titles that do something bigger and better, or whatever... and if you secured RE, FF, etc... you always guarantee yourself big sales because these are things that sell very well. But I'm just wondering if people will begin to shift so majorly by the end of next-gen that these titles will retain almost no significance.

I imagine only a few of these games that have traditionally been big will hold over - the Halos, Gran Turismos and Final Fantasies of the world - I'm just wondering what's down the road. So many unknowns, the consumer reaction will be priceless!

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
Of course, but what I mean is... these are always usually traditional titles that do something bigger and better, or whatever... and if you secured RE, FF, etc... you always guarantee yourself big sales because these are things that sell very well. But I'm just wondering if people will begin to shift so majorly by the end of next-gen that these titles will retain almost no significance.

I imagine only a few of these games that have traditionally been big will hold over - the Halos, Gran Turismos and Final Fantasies of the world - I'm just wondering what's down the road. So many unknowns, the consumer reaction will be priceless!

Well if we are going to talk pure of being able to bring successful new franchises to the forefront for new generation of systems, and also have these games be commercially successful, then Sony would have a big edge over MS and a small edge over Nintendo at the moment (relative to consoles). Like Y2Kev said, look at how Sony did not use a huge reliance on old franchises when moving from PS1 to PS2. They are doing the same thing again moving from PS2 to PS3. Sure there are some Sony franchises that will move from PS2 to PS3, but Sony does a great job at generating new IPs for their systems. They also do it in a variety of different genres. Look at what MS is doing with the 360 at the moment. Most of their new games are focusing on the same type of gamer. The sci fi action gamer (Games I personally like). Gears of War will be a big seller, but do you really think it is going to expand Xbox userbase beyond the Halo gamer? I don't. Sony's PS3 games are already shooting for a broader range of consumers.

Mrbob

To add upon my last post, there is a Sony franchise that has taken off this year on PS2 which isn't called God of War. It is their baseball series, the MLB The Show series. MS has the High Heat license, where is their damn baseball game? Another notch to Sony for striking out in more game types that MS doesn't have. Yeah you may hate sports games and think this isn't a big deal, but as a sports fan this is a huge deal for me. The 2K baseball series is complete garbage, and Sony has stepped up to the plate with an awesome series now in MLB The Show. The PS3 is the only place I'll get a real next gen baseball game, to help suppliment the other sporting genres. Also MLB The Show has become a commercial hit this year as well. It is handily beating the 2K series in sales at the moment. I guess what I'm getting at is if MS wants to be serious about being a leader, they need to start diversifying their gaming lineup. We can talk about 500 and 600 dollars till we are blue in the face, but in the end it comes down to the games, and Sony is the one who is delivering on a variety of different fronts with big sellers.

sol_bad

Mike G.E.D. said:
Exactly what I was thinking. No one understands that the Xbox userbase will never buy a shooter, regardless if its the sequel to the best game of 2004.

Capcom should really hedge their bets and cancel Dead Rising, and Lost Planet too. Don't they realize that regardless of appeal or game content, no Xbox user will buy a game from Japan?

I don' think they should cancel Dead Rising or Lost Planet. I think it's a good move to start with new franchises to try and pull in new Western customers to Japanese games. If they succeed then good for them.
Unlike Shenmue 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta, these two Capcom titles should and will cater for a Western audience.
Unlike silly Sega though, Capcom will most likely bring these two games over to the PS3 where they know they'll sell a crap load of copies IF unsucessful on the 360.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
TheWolf said:
Luke's question about the Wii being a short term platform was pretty dumb. like, using the DS -> DS lite as an example is pretty dumb when it isn't a NEW platform. they both play DS games, and Nintendo doesn't completely abandon a platform for a new one in two years or something. if there is a Wii 2 as Luke put, it would probably just be smaller and have more on board flash memory, not new cutting edge graphics hardware.

I just listened to this part, and it really irked me when Luke said the handhelds from the Gameboy to the DS were the same pieces of hardware repackaged. First of all, that's totally untrue. Second, Nintendo releases new iterations of their hardware (GBA -> GBASP, DS -> DSlite) but the iterations play the SAME GAMES and add cosmetic hardware changes. It totally doesn't translate into console hardware.

Wollan

Did he just say Golden Axe is coming to Xbox Live Arcade AND PS3?
'Golden Axe is shipping to the X360 and PS3 relatively soon' I just found the word shippin weird for a potential downloadable.

Edit: Ahh god, Luke's annoying. Glad to have Scott Sega pulling his wires abit with facts.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
nah, the game was announced for 360 and ps3

lukes comment about sega being ****ed was kind of.....bitter sounding. haha

also the stuff about wii being a stop gap.

my opinion on that is this. I think nintendo is thinking about a shorter shelf life for wii. maybe 4-5 years instead of what seems like 6-7 for all the other systems. There will probably be some sort of update, i dont know what they could add, maybe bigger internal memory and more av ports or something.

I dont think nintendo is waiting on the right technology, they seem to really be buying into their own philosophy and it shows in all their other products.

mikeGFG

Banned
sol_bad said:
I don' think they should cancel Dead Rising or Lost Planet. I think it's a good move to start with new franchises to try and pull in new Western customers to Japanese games. If they succeed then good for them.
Unlike Shenmue 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta, these two Capcom titles should and will cater for a Western audience.
Unlike silly Sega though, Capcom will most likely bring these two games over to the PS3 where they know they'll sell a crap load of copies IF unsucessful on the 360.

I was being facetious in my first post. Those series you mention are unappealing to western audiences as a whole, not just the Xbox userbase. Games like PDO, Shenmue, and even Rez just don't fly with the Madden-GTA-Halo centric crowd.

Capcom is the most wise of the japanese publishers right now. Instead narrowly focusing on Japan, their next-gen goal is to make games that have worldwide appeal. And Resident Evil 5 will sell like gangbusters on both PS3 and Xbox. Actually, I predict it will sell marginally better on the 360 because of the platform's already huge portfolio of shooters-- saying it will only sell 'thousands' on the Xbox is just silly.

Zen

Banned
Scoot said:

The thing is though, that Nintendo has never in the companies history performed a revision/upgrade to the specs of the actual hardware. If they were to do this you would have Wii2 games that couldn't be played on Wii, etc. I don't believe for a second that due to the positive buzz they have recieved about the Wii so far that they would belive their console brand strength so powerful as to make something like this feasable. No one knows the dissapointment of the Gamecube more then Nintendo. To say that they would cut short the Wii lifespan and release an upgrade that would splinter their own market is as likely and Sony or Microsoft realeasing a PS3.5/Xbox540 partway through this generation, it simply wouldn't happen.

Top Bottom