• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up's Unnamed PC Podcast: 10/16/2008

I need some PC upgrade advice. I know it's sort of off topic, but here's the deal:

Back when I upgraded my video card to an 8800gt, I remember reading somewhere that I couldn't get the most out of it with my current CPU (core duo 1.8 ghz). Anybody know if this is true? If I upgraded to a Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz, would I get markedly better performance? Sorry for the nerdiness.

Mindlog

Robert Ashley said:
I need some PC upgrade advice. I know it's sort of off topic, but here's the deal:

Back when I upgraded my video card to an 8800gt, I remember reading somewhere that I couldn't get the most out of it with my current CPU (core duo 1.8 ghz). Anybody know if this is true? If I upgraded to a Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz, would I get markedly better performance? Sorry for the nerdiness.

I'm not very well versed on CPUs. I tend to just catch up when the time comes for me to upgrade.

but
I'd also be interested in finding out what the better Frames/$ ratio would be in upgrading that CPU or upgrading that GPU to a 4850 or something.

Most importantly this is a nerd free zone. We're going to have to fine you.

*edit: I hate it when some random question starts making me too curious :lol for what it's worth the only helpful thing I quickly found http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=2217429

drinking time

Irulan

Neo Member
Robert Ashley said:

This is probably a good read for you: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/1

If you want to upgrade your CPU purely for gaming, you're probably best off getting a Core2Duo E8400 (3Ghz Dual-core). The higher clockspeed will give you a larger performance gain than getting a quad-core, since almost no games can utilize more than 2 cores.

Xizk

Irulan said:
This is probably a good read for you: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/1

If you want to upgrade your CPU purely for gaming, you're probably best off getting a Core2Duo E8400 (3Ghz Dual-core). The higher clockspeed will give you a larger performance gain than getting a quad-core, since almost no games can utilize more than 2 cores.

You can also overclock it to 3.6Ghz without changing the voltage. The difference in temperature is minimal too so you can do it with the stock cooler.

DarkJC

Irulan said:

Right, if it's between that and the Q6600, definitely the E8400. The higher end quad cores do provide higher FPS in most games though, but then you're paying out the ass for them.

Xizk said:
You can also overclock it to 3.6Ghz without changing the voltage. The difference in temperature is minimal too so you can do it with the stock cooler.

I've never overclocked anything. Is that a serious operation? This will be the first time I've ever upgraded a processor before, and that alone seems a little daunting.

Also, I looked up the E8400, and I can get one at New Egg for $160, which seems pretty affordable. Think it'll make a significant difference from the 1.8ghz cpu I have now? What I'm really hoping to do is run Left 4 Dead at top settings. I played it at an event the other day, and it looked fantastic.

Xizk

Robert Ashley said:
I've never overclocked anything. Is that a serious operation? This will be the first time I've ever upgraded a processor before, and that alone seems a little daunting.

I had never overclocked anything until recently and it was no problem, as long as you find a good guide on the net. Took like 5 minutes to go to BIOS and change some things. And the E8400 should definately help a lot.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Robert Ashley said:

while on the pc difficulty scale it ranks just below making a playlist, with an 8400 you won't really need to consider if for a while.

atleast until empire:total war graces us with it's existence

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38337.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40753.html

yeah, i'm gonna keep whoring this game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just for Shawn, from the discussion of portables and crazy things many many months ago.

jghyye.jpg

Back on topic. This is turning out to be a great podcast, keep up the good work.

Brobzoid said:
doesn't work for me... :\ gamevideos has never really worked for me though... but lately it's gone totally to shits.

'tis true, and it's such a shame. The quality of the content 1up puts out is great, but most of the time actually accessing it is a frustrating chore.

Robert Ashley said:

Yeah, you're definitely being bottle-necked by that CPU. A 3ghz Core 2 Duo would probably be sufficient. You don't really need to fork out the cash for a Quad Core.

Akia

Robert considering that Intel is coming out with their next big architecture update the Core i7 next month. I wouldn't buy anything too expensive if you plan on upgrading to it. It really sounds like the real deal.

Irulan

Neo Member
Akia said:
Robert considering that Intel is coming out with their next big architecture update the Core i7 next month. I wouldn't buy anything too expensive if you plan on upgrading to it. It really sounds like the real deal.

Core i7 won't be a cheap upgrade option for quite some time. Expect the cheapest upgrade to Core i7 to cost ~$700 (new CPU, motherboard and ddr3 RAM). Also, the first reviews of Core i7 suggest that games are barely getting a performance increase from this new architecture. The E8400 will give you the most bang/buck for a gaming rig for quite some time still.

yonder

Just wanted to say that this weeks podcast was great, and it was good to see the return of Bobito. Ryan was really funny, too; it's awesome that he's become more involved.

Keep it up! (and have Jeff as a guest soon!)

Mar

Excellent podcast this week. This is right up there with the Brodeo's best. Who knew it could all work with out Jeff and Shawn.

Was the level where Robert got the Jeff Green sticker a jet pack race? I think it was that or another level were the ones where I put it and the Houston got it from there.

And I originally took that picture for a Brodeo level, but I couldn't think of how to make a level about the Brodeo, so I just used the sticker in another level. It was also a really nice picture considering it was off my computer screen.

Nizz

SnowWolf said:
I went to the 1up boards to see if the Ryan/Felicia Day pics were posted and ran across this Tiny Titans poster :lol http://www.breakyourgame.com/images/ryanscotttinytitansfinal.jpg
:lol :lol Holy S**t! By the way, great podcast this week. I hope this crew stays together for the long haul. Chuff's line about the "code blue" call to Frito-Lay had me dying! :lol Too bad I can't watch the BlizzCon video though :( I don't know what's going on with 1up's site, but I can't get anything today...

evlcookie said:
Just for Shawn, from the discussion of portables and crazy things many many months ago.

jghyye.jpg

Back on topic. This is turning out to be a great podcast, keep up the good work.
Hahah, look at his jeans.

witness

Probably the best second episode for a new podcast ever. Infact for me this stands right up there with the best of the old GFW Radio's. Keep this line up the same.

I unsubscribed from GFW radio on my iTunes today.

So long good friend. You were 90% dead when Jeff left. And now you are merely a walking corpse just slavering over my tasty brain.

Off with you now. Go swim free in the filthy pond with all the other lower tier gaming podcasts. Maybe one day you will actually get some legs, and crawl back out on land, and into your hearts again.

hiryu

Thanks Anthony for the music recommendation. I've now purchased two MP3 albums on amazon from Murder by Death.

oneHeero

I was just looking for a quick podcast to add to my ipod for work, pick this one and just heard it. It was so funny and great to hear. I didnt like the start since so much unneccessary cussing but they grew on me XD Great to hear Tina talk and not get run over by all the guys.

Podcast was so good, I may continue hearing it and I dont even game on PC AT ALL. I may not hear it anymore since I dont play pc games, wish you guys just did regular gaming podcast :\ I dont know how I dl this without noticing it was PC. But it was well worth it.

Punchy

Banned
Silicon Knight said:
Great show, the chemistry is amazing and Chuf is growing out to be my favorite member of the new cast.

You mean Anthony Gallegos as Shawn Elliot?

We don't need a new Shawn Elliot dude, be yourself. Even your "nerd voice" is an imitation of Shawn's.

Akia

Punchy said:
You mean Anthony Gallegos as Shawn Elliot?

We don't need a new Shawn Elliot dude, be yourself. Even your "nerd voice" is an imitation of Shawn's.

Its true. But I find it hilarious so whatever.

Top Bottom