• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up's Unnamed PC Podcast: 10/16/2008

oneHeero said:
I was just looking for a quick podcast to add to my ipod for work, pick this one and just heard it. It was so funny and great to hear. I didnt like the start since so much unneccessary cussing but they grew on me XD Great to hear Tina talk and not get run over by all the guys.

Podcast was so good, I may continue hearing it and I dont even game on PC AT ALL. I may not hear it anymore since I dont play pc games, wish you guys just did regular gaming podcast :\ I dont know how I dl this without noticing it was PC. But it was well worth it.
Welp, you know the answer to this dilemma: start gaming on the pc! Don't worry, we won't bite...much. :D

Punchy

Banned
LordAzrael said:
Cry moar. Anthony was too quiet before, and, *gasp*, maybe his personality is similar to Shawns! Now that he's spoken up, he's a great 'cast member.

There is a difference between stating an opinion and "crying moar". Anthony was never quiet before. He even has his own lame segment on 1upFM. I wasn't even trying to knock him down, so you jumping to his defense is a little pre-emptive. I think he can be funny when he's not acting like Shawn.

Maybe he is similar to Shawn, but that's not the way I percieve things. When he's trying to knock down Ryan playfully and when he uses the same nerd voice as Shawn, or when he writes a nerd rant on 1upFM (which seems to me like a pre-manufactured "Hero of the Web"-styled segment) he comes off as a pale imitation to me. Robert Ashley, however, comes off as someone who is genuinely similar to Shawn, without coming across as forced. He doesn't seem to "pre-plan" his rants and digressions.

Chuff Love on the other hand, or when Anthony is being genuine about his love of something or shamed at his own nerdiness, is entertaining and fun to listen to. When he is trying to be a replacement or the new King of Internet nerds, it comes off as forced and imitative - like he just wants nerds like you to be his "banana-ryder" and jump to his defense whenever someone makes a vaguely negative comment about him on an internet message board.

Punchy said:
There is a difference between stating an opinion and "crying moar". Anthony was never quiet before. He even has his own lame segment on 1upFM. I wasn't even trying to knock him down, so you jumping to his defense is a little pre-emptive. I think he can be funny when he's not acting like Shawn.

Maybe he is similar to Shawn, but that's not the way I percieve things. When he's trying to knock down Ryan playfully and when he uses the same nerd voice as Shawn, or when he writes a nerd rant on 1upFM (which seems to me like a pre-manufactured "Hero of the Web"-styled segment) he comes off as a pale imitation to me. Robert Ashley, however, comes off as someone who is genuinely similar to Shawn, without coming across as forced. He doesn't seem to "pre-plan" his rants and digressions.

Chuff Love on the other hand, or when Anthony is being genuine about his love of something or shamed at his own nerdiness, is entertaining and fun to listen to. When he is trying to be a replacement or the new King of Internet nerds, it comes off as forced and imitative - like he just wants nerds like you to be his "banana-ryder" and jump to his defense whenever someone makes a vaguely negative comment about him on an internet message board.

Yup. Thats exactly it. Chuf is trying to take the Throne of the Internet Nerds! This will not stand!

Shins

Banned
Punchy said:
Even your "nerd voice" is an imitation of Shawn's.
so I was imitating Shawn Elliot when I talked in a stuck up, high-pitched voice back in seventh grade.

I had no idea :p

Punchy

Banned
Yup. Thats exactly it. Chuf is trying to take the Throne of the Internet Nerds! This will not stand!

No, that was just the same point that I had made before that you had a problem with.

I feel like he wants to be the new Shawn Elliot. It was my opinion, and you insulted me for it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be popular, but I think he's going the wrong way about it.

It's okay, you don't have to come up with some angry retort while ignoring everything I've typed save for one or two phrases slightly out of context. Just let it go....

Punchy said:

I had no idea people cared this much.

Punchy said:
No, that was just the same point that I had made before that you had a problem with.

I feel like he wants to be the new Shawn Elliot. It was my opinion, and you insulted me for it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be popular, but I think he's going the wrong way about it.

It's okay, you don't have to come up with some angry retort while ignoring everything I've typed save for one or two phrases slightly out of context. Just let it go....
:lol Angry? you're the one who seems pretty passionate about it. I was the one who said Chuf should do what seems natural...mrow~

:D

Great podcast, better than last week, if this keeps up it'll once again take the throne of my favorite podcast just like where GFW Radio set. As for the people comparing Anthony to Shawn, that's just pathetic - god forbid there are two genuinely funny people that have similar "nerd voices" or even a similar sense of humor. FFS get over it already, the podcast is fantastic with the new cast and I hope none of them change to try to fit the skewed perceptions a minority of people have on them on a message board.

skip said:
nerd voice is a nerd voice, dude. taking things too seriously dept.

fo' real

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
No guys Punchy is right. Sometimes when I'm kneeling down and masturbating in front of my Shawn Shrine thoughts of Anthony enter my head and IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY.

probune

Punchy said:

I AM A NERD KNIGHT WITH MANY NERD SQUIRES

skip said:
nerd voice is a nerd voice, dude. taking things too seriously dept.
This is like Advance Wars copying Metal Slug's tank design, or how Battlefield Heroes imitated Team Fortress 2.

Anthony is obviously just posing. Shawn created the nerd voice.

whiskey.gif

Great podcast, much better than the first which I didn't finish. Bobito's rant about children getting too easy had me rolling. The cast so far is gelling great, really look forward to next week's.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, I figured some of the Brodeo fans might be interested in this little tidbit from Jeff's new blog.

JeffGreen said:
In other news, my work life has been equally crazy. One month in to my new career...and I am seeing some of the volatility of the game biz. I can't really talk details, but let's say that everything I did until now has been essentially rendered null and void, and I am now going to another project. The good news is that I'm excited about that project, too, as I was with the last one. So things are good. And maybe one day I'll be able to share all the details of what it's like at EA. Details like the fact that my mail has now twice been misdelivered to a fellow at EA named Jeff Brown. Like, hi, they color coded us for a reason!

In any event, I'm tired. Tomorrow I move to another floor, another team, and start all over again as New Guy. Let's hope I go through this rite of passage again without doing something horrible, like projectile vomiting on my new boss. If I can just have that not happen, we'll call it a victory.
http://jeff-greenspeak.blogspot.com/2008/10/oy-vey.html

skip

bistromathics said:
is there a pc podcast today, or was the indigo prophecy backlog taking its place this week?

recording today, publishing tomorrow. thursday will likely be the regular day for PC shows (+legendary thread)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
You could almost literally fit 2 Ryan Scotts inside the guy with the camera =/

Cactus Cooler really is amazing. I didn't even know it was a regional drink until last week's show.

Flavius

Punchy said:

I don't share your opinion, but at the same time, if he WAS going to choose someone to imitate, he could certainly do worse. Fact of the matter is, you absolutely ARE influenced by those around you, whether you realize it or not. I used to laugh along with everyone else when Madonna started talking with a british accent, then I hooked up with my wife from New York and found myself adding syllables to words and forgetting to pronounce my "r"s.

It may seem like silly hippie talk, but I like the idea of taking on some of the characteristics of various persons that you have encountered over your lifetime. Sometimes I catch myself in the mirror wearing the same "holy shit it's early!" expression that my dad would have on his face the morning after working the late shift. When I teach, I catch myself emulating the speech and mannerisms of my favorite high school teachers and college professors (at least, the ones that managed to keep me awake).

It doesn't make me a pale imitation. Rather, it is the byproduct of both my appreciation and respect for these people who had (and continue to have) an incredible influence on my life.

Flavius

ICallItFutile said:
Going to finish this up tonight. Robert Ashley really did fill the gap this new podcast had.

Has this guy been offered a full-time position at 1up yet? I'd like to think that the powers-that-be over there are smart enough to see the value in at least extending a respectable offer in his general direction (and I'd say the same thing even if Shawn, Sean, and Jeff were still around).

FartOfWar

Banned
Flavius said:
Has this guy been offered a full-time position at 1up yet? I'd like to think that the powers-that-be over there are smart enough to see the value in at least extending a respectable offer in his general direction (and I'd say the same thing even if Shawn, Sean, and Jeff were still around).
If only. I tried and tried.

In other news, my truck still hasn't arrived so my casual net time is limited to sitting in a temporary housing lobby. I took home a 360 and started playing Dead Space. So far, it's firing on all cylinders.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna say: It would have been cool if you could have skyped in on the stalker backlog... maybe whenever you get your computer you should set that up for a later segment.

FartOfWar said:

In other news, my truck still hasn't arrived so my casual net time is limited to sitting in a temporary housing lobby. I took home a 360 and started playing Dead Space. So far, it's firing on all cylinders.
Wow, remind me not to use your movers. Have you started working yet?

gray_fox224

FartOfWar said:

In other news, my truck still hasn't arrived so my casual net time is still limited to sitting in a temporary housing lobby. I took home a 360 and started playing Dead Space. So far, it's firing on all cylinders.

It hasn't arrived yet? Hasn't it been about a week for you?

On man, I hope it hasn't been too stressful.

Do you plan to have a blog like Jeff's?

FartOfWar

Banned
gray_fox224 said:
It hasn't arrived yet? Hasn't it been about a week for you?

On man, I hope it hasn't been too stressful.

Do you plan to have a blog like Jeff's?
They picked my goods up on September 29th. And they're not arriving until the weekend of Nov 1.

I'm sure I'll blog once I'm settled in. And you'll *hear* me in the future.

FartOfWar said:
Yep, two week's worth and loving it. I lucked out.
Rad--then I patiently await your podcast with Ken Levine, unless by *hearing* you in the future you mean you're doing voice overs for the game.

colinp

Banned
FartOfWar said:
They picked my goods up on September 29th. And they're not arriving until the weekend of Nov 1.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Welcome to the north-east. How is the cold treating you?

adg1034

FartOfWar said:

Glad you have your priorities straight.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE NEED

StuBurns

Banned
adg1034 said:
Glad you have your priorities straight.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE NEED
I'm glad 2K haven't had his tongue tied. Hopefully he'll be as unbridled as Jaffe or someone.

I do enjoy many of the 1up podcasts, but for the most part I disagree with vast majority of the opinions the staff output. But I really enjoyed Shawn's blog entries and his more serious discussions on the podcasts.

2k Boston did put out a series of podcasts around the time of BioShock, maybe Shawn will be on the podcasts for X-Com 7 or whatever they're working on.

Flavius

Took me a while, but I just finished listening to this one heading home from work.

I miss the old GFW gang as much as any other listener, but uh, this podcast was pretty fucking hilarious. No Jeff, no Shawn, and I still had tears running down my face from laughing so hard in a couple of spots (Robert's "It IS coming out for pc, motherfucker. READ THE INTERNET!!!" got me pretty good ;)).

Bravo, guys. Please keep it coming.

Top Bottom