• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$2.1 million and up = Obsidian and Chris Avellone on Wasteland 2 dev team

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
5lza4.png

Back to rather normal levels I guess, with single people throwing in exceptionally much from time to time.

2lbOl.png

Well, its still more than the usual amount for all the days before, and it was the most substantial spike we've seen so far. If it reaches 2.1Mil, this definitely was a huge factor.

Edit: And the current level of funding still means about 50-72k / day, which is more than enough to kick it over 2.1M.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
To be fair he has a point. Let Obsidian help design the game while Inxile programs the game.

Which is how they said its going to be. So its a bit pointless to complain about something not happening.

mclem

They're getting Obsidian's in-house tools as well, including very possibly the Onyx engine, which is going to help them enormously.

Yeah, we're basically buying in a license for them to use the engine.

* They don't have to spend time and money on developing their own.
* Obsidian can go into full engine-support mode, keeping them in business for longer.
* Any refinements to the engine that come from this development can in turn be used by Obsidian when their Kickstarter gets under way.

Drek

To be fair he has a point. Let Obsidian help design the game while Inxile programs the game.

Not really. Fargo gave an interview recently that pointed out just how little control developers have over the stability of their games, I'm sure its been linked in this thread. The one game Obsidian has gotten to make on their own tech from the ground up is Dungeon Siege 3 with the very engine Fargo is talking about using here, and it is well above average from a stability/bug free game play standpoint for this generation.

I really hope they hit the $2.1M and I'll be upping my pledge this afternoon. I figured this would be an Infinity engine level of tech for release. If its closer to DS3 in terms of tech but with the old school RPG chops Fargo is talking about it will be my game of the forever.

Toma

Not really. Fargo gave an interview recently that pointed out just how little control developers have over the stability of their games, I'm sure its been linked in this thread. The one game Obsidian has gotten to make on their own tech from the ground up is Dungeon Siege 3 with the very engine Fargo is talking about using here, and it is well above average from a stability/bug free game play standpoint for this generation.

I really hope they hit the $2.1M and I'll be upping my pledge this afternoon. I figured this would be an Infinity engine level of tech for release. If its closer to DS3 in terms of tech but with the old school RPG chops Fargo is talking about it will be my game of the forever.

I'd say hitting 2.1M is more or less a safe bet by now. 17 days for 285K? (Which includes the huge last day funding)

They somewhere mentioned a mod kit, is that already confirmed with the funding? Thats what I really want from it. Give us the engine and the mod kit to make our own games after W2, so that we dont need to wait for 15 years.

Durante

I'd really love to see what the Onyx engine can do in a "real" RPG (no offense to DS3). It has already been shown to be stable, fast and capable of producing quite beeautiful graphics.

joshwaan

Did any of these guys work on Blackthrone for PC?

I'm going to throw $15 down for a better brighter PC gaming future :)

Kafel

Banned
GAF, I'm about to donate to a Kickstart project for the first time I think. Fallout 2 is my favourite game ever.

But I don't really understand what these sorts of practices are, a guy from another studio joins the project if the donations hit a certain level ? wtf ?!

But I don't really understand what these sorts of practices are, a guy from another studio joins the project if the donations hit a certain level ? wtf ?!

For the $500,000 extra, they compensate Obsidian for using Chris Avellone AND their Onyx engine tools they have developed (with support for them also assumed).

Toma

GAF, I'm about to donate to a Kickstart project for the first time I think. Fallout 2 is my favourite game ever.

Its not "a" guy, its the lead designer of Planescape Torment and an important designer in the Fallout Universe.

And its mostly for financing the tools InXile needs. Not meeting the 2.1M requirement would mean that they need to spend a considerable amount of time building their own engine. Using Onyx engine from Obsidian would get them to work on the meat of the game faster.

Edit: He was also the Lead Designer for Fallout : Van Buren.

For the $500,000 extra, they compensate Obsidian for using Chris Avellone AND their Onyx engine tools they have developed (with support for them also assumed).

Though it hasnt been confirmed that its the Onyx engine yet, right? I mean, its the best bet since its the current engine, but theoretically it could be an older engine as well if the older engine is easier to work with or something.

Kafel

Banned
Thank you for the answers. Well I'm ready to use their Paypal link, even if I don't play on PC anymore. Maybe later.

Toma

The funding speeded up quite a bit now. Someone just posted about it somewhere :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Steam tricked me out of my money before I learned of this just now.

Toma

du0YF.png

On the way up again, woo.

Zeliard

Though it hasnt been confirmed that its the Onyx engine yet, right? I mean, its the best bet since its the current engine, but theoretically it could be an older engine as well if the older engine is easier to work with or something.

Onyx is Obsidian's proprietary engine and specially designed for RPGs. It hasn't been confirmed that they're using it yet but I think it's a fairly safe bet.

The funding should hit $1.8 mill within the next hour or two.

I think there are many amazing games you have yet to play.

Polk

What so strange about it? It's standard outsourcing and obsidian people need to be paid.

wow, this thing is cooking right along. They're really close to the 2.1 now, wonder what their next goal will be?

Bringing Obsidian in was brilliant.

milanbaros

Member?
wow, this thing is cooking right along. They're really close to the 2.1 now, wonder what their next goal will be?

Bringing Obsidian in was brilliant.

On a basic level the funding should increase in rate all the time because the value proposition improves with each extra dollar invested.

e.g. invest $15 for a game that costs $1m or $15 for a game worth $2m.

It wont work as simply as that but it may be playing a significant role.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will be interested to see the 11 shrines of the top donators.

Zeliard

Also about the 17k a day thing, it was basically making more than that even when it had slowed down a bunch, prior to Avellone joining up. It's going to increase a lot beyond that, as we've already seen.

last8daysdiff5hyv3.png

Wildesy

A myriad of problems?Like what?The game had bugs but it wasn't unplayable, Bethesda churns out bugged as fuck games and nobody cares.

I ended up loving F:NV, but the game was virtually for me on PS3 at time of release. Even after all the patches, I still went through the battle at the end at about 5 FPS - what should've been a 10 minute battle, took me probably an hour.

I can't speak for the other versions and I'm not sure if individual reviews for certain consoles hurt its metcritic score, but it wouldn't surprise me if its PS3 rating brought it down.

F:NV was infinitely worse than Skyrim for me on PS3.

Still, all that said, it was the first game I platinumed on PS3 so that goes to show how good the game was if I pushed through all the technical problems it had.

Kurtofan

I will be interested to see the 11 shrines of the top donators.

I hope they do something cool with that, I love this kind of private joke cameos.

Edit:Do we know who made those huge donations?Are they associations from websites or really rich people?

Famassu

They are using Obsidian's "own tools". I don't think they HAVE any other tools of their own than Onyx, the rest have been them using others' engines (Gamebryo, UE3 etc.)

I hope they do something cool with that, I love this kind of private joke cameos.

Edit:Do we know who made those huge donations?Are they associations or really rich people?
IIRC Epic's CEO is one (or some other bigwig from Epic)? Not sure if the others have revealed themselves. I know Avellone donated money, but IIRC it wasn't $10k or anything, more like 250$, if even that.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I have to give Brian Fargo credit, he did a better job incentivizing people to keep donating passed the initial goal than Tim Schafer did. Tim didn't give real specifics for how the additional money would be spent. I can't recall if he ever gave a threshold for additional platforms either.

Zeliard

IIRC Epic's CEO is one (or some other bigwig from Epic)? Not sure if the others have revealed themselves. I know Avellone donated money, but IIRC it wasn't $10k or anything, more like 250$, if even that.

It's likely CEO buddies of Fargo's, mainly. The CEO of Razer is also one of the 10k donors.

Kurtofan

They are using Obsidian's "own tools". I don't think they HAVE any other tools of their own than Onyx, the rest have been them using others' engines (Gamebryo, UE3 etc.)

I know RPGCodex's members collected 10 000$ to get a shrine.

elcranky

Banned
I'd really love to see what the Onyx engine can do in a "real" RPG (no offense to DS3). It has already been shown to be stable, fast and capable of producing quite beeautiful graphics.

We should all cry very bitter tears that Aliens RPG was cancelled.

Zeliard

Yeah, we're basically buying in a license for them to use the engine.

* They don't have to spend time and money on developing their own.
* Obsidian can go into full engine-support mode, keeping them in business for longer.
* Any refinements to the engine that come from this development can in turn be used by Obsidian when their Kickstarter gets under way.

Yeah that's the beauty of Avellone working on this first. By the time Obsidian does get around to running its own Kickstarter, Avellone and company will have a much better idea of exactly how to go forward, and how to properly leverage Kickstarter-level funds to create a cRPG.

Top Bottom