• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$2.1 million and up = Obsidian and Chris Avellone on Wasteland 2 dev team

what's with the Obsidian insults? DS3 has shown that they can make bug free games when working with their own code and not with leftovers from other devs

Eusis

Maybe it's directly proportional to story quality and design ambition. DS3 WAS a pretty by the numbers hack and slash, aside from online functioning like couch co-op.

Polk

what's with the Obsidian insults? DS3 has shown that they can make bug free games when working with their own code and not with leftovers from other devs

TBH DS3 isn't nearly as ambitious (true sandbox-y) as their other RPGs so keeping it bug free was easier than ever.

stabwound

Neo Member
I hope they do something cool with that, I love this kind of private joke cameos.

Edit:Do we know who made those huge donations?Are they associations from websites or really rich people?
One was the CEO of Razer, one was the president of Epic, one was a regular guy from RPGCodex, one was a group pool from RPGCodex, and one was likely Notch although I'm not sure on that one.

There are probably others that were identified, but I can't remember at the moment. If there were others that identified themselves, I don't think Fargo commented on them; he commented on all of the others besides the RPGCodex member I referred to.

Kurtofan

Could have been a fluke you know. We won't know till their next game if it wasn't.

You don't "fluke" QA testing.

One was the CEO of Razer, one was the president of Epic, one was a regular guy from RPGCodex, one was a group pool from RPGCodex, and one was likely Notch although I'm not sure on that one.

There are probably others that were identified, but I can't remember at the moment. If there were others that identified themselves, I don't think Fargo commented on them; he commented on all of the others besides the RPGCodex member I referred to.
I see thanks, that's pretty interesting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Including the paypal funding only 249k to go!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
this is going to hit 2.1 million... right? right?

Pretty sure, yeah. 249k missing in 16 days means about 15,5k/day. This means every hour needs 0,6k funding for it to come true and every hour that saw more than 0,6k funding makes it way likelier.

And now look at the last 8 hours for example:
i3kiU.png

2K funding every hour (which isnt too unreasonable) would lead us to about 2,5M. I think that is more or less the highest reasonable and attainable goal here, especially if they set another funding goal, like Mod Kit on launch at 2,5M or something.

Pretty sure, yeah. 249k missing in 16 days means about 15,5k/day. This means every hour needs 0,6k funding for it to come true and every hour that saw more than 0,6k funding makes it way likelier.

i3kiU.png

where do you guys keep getting all these fun KS stats and graphs? is it on KS itself or is someone specifically making these?

i3kiU.png

2K funding every hour (which isnt too unreasonable) would lead us to about 2,5M. I think that is the reasonable and attainable goal here, especially if the set another funding goal, like Mod Kit on launch at 2,5M or something.

Kickstarters always tend to spike at the end, so I'm not worried about it reaching 2.1M. Would be nice to see it hit 2.5 though.

Toma

Kickstarters always tend to spike at the end, so I'm not worried about it reaching 2.1M. Would be nice to see it hit 2.5 though.

Yeah, I am not at all worried about 2,1M. I just want to know actually if they will promise anything for 2,5M :p People need to fund faster!

stabwound

Neo Member
If he is, they'll probably pull that as a reveal for extra donations later. The way the talk has been going, it sounds like it's more just Chris Avellone joining in on the game and not exactly Obsidian as a whole.

Eusis

Yeah, I am not at all worried about 2,1M. I just want to know actually if they will promise anything for 2,5M :p People need to fund faster!
Maybe they'd promise Fallout 1 levels of VA? Obsidian probably has connections to get a few decent VA to record several minutes worth of dialogue.

Toma

IfxZA.png

This is certainly not a bad day either.

How big are these big pledges? Is there a way to list all pledges by size?

VandalD

Never played Wasteland. Still haven't finished Fallout, Fallout 2, any of the Infinity Engine games ...

Oh well. I've got time to finish one of those. Maybe. Backed!

Therion

I think another may have been Ed McMillen (Team Meat), based purely on the order some things showed up in my twitter feed.

Dr.Acula

Banned
How big are these big pledges? Is there a way to list all pledges by size?

Yeah, on the kickstarter page:

Code:
  $15: 21,678 backers
  $30:  3,562 backers
  $50:  5,360 backers
  $75:    830 backers
 $100:  3,796 backers
 $150:    484 backers
 $250:    843 backers
 $500:    119 backers
$1000:    100 backers
$2500:      4 backers
$5000:      8 backers
 $10k:     11 backers

$100 bucks looks like the sweet-spot. $75 gets you into the beta, $100 gets your name in the credits.

credits.gif

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134648/fullcredits#cast

that's a solid voice casting for any game, never mind a crpg released in 97.

I recognize Ron Perlman and I think I saw Jim Cummings somewhere.

edit: lol, people are so up in arms. The only games where VA is outstanding are GTA IV + episodes and Red Dead Redemption + some bits in Bioshock. Well, Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines are good too, but not outstanding. And Uncharted is good too, but not outstanding. Outstanding = could be in some great movie.

edit2: oh and I forgot Schafer's games. They really had outstanding VA.

DiscoJer

edit: lol, people are so up in arms. The only games where VA is outstanding are GTA IV + episodes and Red Dead Redemption + some bits in Bioshock. Well, Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines are good too, but not outstanding. And Uncharted is good too, but not outstanding.

Don't forget Richard Moll, Bull from Night Court as well as appearing in such '80s movie classics as House, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn, The Dungeonmaster (aka Ragewar), and The Sword and The Sorcerer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Don't forget Richard Moll, Bull from Night Court as well as appearing in such '80s movie classics as House, Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn, The Dungeonmaster (aka Ragewar), and The Sword and The Sorcerer.

I haven't watched these...

Kurtofan

edit: lol, people are so up in arms. The only games where VA is outstanding are GTA IV + episodes and Red Dead Redemption + some bits in Bioshock. Well, Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines are good too, but not outstanding. And Uncharted is good too, but not outstanding. Outstanding = could be in some great movie.

edit2: oh and I forgot Schafer's games. They really had outstanding VA.
You don't know Richard Dean Anderson and Clancy Brown?

Top Bottom