• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2009 - PlayStation 3's Third Year

Uncharted2_03.jpg

UNCHARTED2!!2@2!!@222!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TRAILERS TOMMOROW! :D

DuckRacer

I played through Uncharted a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most enthralling games I've played in a long while. If they don't do the whole supernatural plot twist crap again, U2's definitely going to be one of the best games of '09.

What they should do once you beat the game is let you use more zany weapons. Let you use, say, Resistance's Bullseye. Or blow darts, lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
2009 would have been the year the PS3 turned around if Sony had managed to keep system regulars like FF and Tekken exclusive. Now I fear it's just going turn out to be the year PS3 gets a slight bump or worse, just manages to stay afloat.

What Sony should do throughout 2009 is what MS did with GTAIV. That is, get out in front of your competitor with advertising - so the perception is that that games like FFXIII are only on PS3. Secure exclusive hardware bundle deals with Square and other companies.

The potential is there but Sony has to do some aggressive footwork and completely change their approach to advertising. The "reflection" ads they have out now are abysmal.

Forsete

DuckRacer said:
I played through Uncharted a few weeks ago, and it was one of the most enthralling games I've played in a long while. If they don't do the whole supernatural plot twist crap again, U2's definitely going to be one of the best games of '09.

What they should do once you beat the game is let you use more zany weapons. Let you use, say, Resistance's Bullseye. Or blow darts, lol

Yeah I could do without the supernatural stuff this time to be honest.. It scared the shit out of me. :lol

Glad to hear they are focusing more on exploration and platforming.. but I dont want them to downsize too much on combat as it was so fucking great in Uncharted 1.
Its a fine balance there, hopefully ND pulls it off.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have no problem with the supernatural, but it needs to come as a surprise, like in the Indy movies and/or games. Nothing supernatural until the very end, only small hints about it. In Raiders, nothing supernatural actually happened until the very end, when the opened the ark. In Temple of Doom, almost nothing at all (just unexplainable stuff), until the very end - and even then it was with very little fanfare or special effects. Last Crusade... did anything supernatural happen until the nazi drank from the grail?

They need to do this, and I hope they don't bring the zombies back - I don't want zombies to become a standard element in this series. Give us something new, and don't let anything supernatural happen until the very end.

140.85 said:
2009 would have been the year the PS3 turned around if Sony had managed to keep system regulars like FF and Tekken exclusive. Now I fear it's just going turn out to be the year PS3 gets a slight bump or worse, just manages to stay afloat.

What Sony should do throughout 2009 is what MS did with GTAIV. That is, get out in front of your competitor with advertising - so the perception is that that games like FFXIII are only on PS3. Secure exclusive hardware bundle deals with Square and other companies.

The potential is there but Sony has to do some aggressive footwork and completely change their approach to advertising. The "reflection" ads they have out now are abysmal.

Yeah Microsoft also did that with FallOut 3, the commercials all clearly indicate that it is apparently only for the Xbox 360 (cause they add that dumb Xbox for 199$ piece at the end of the commercial).

I just fear that Sony is probably just trying to get the games division into the black for this year, end it in the black, and then go all out once they meet that expectation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
140.85 said:

FF is still exclusive in 2009 ;)

140.85 said:

They will be doing that in Japan, where the game actually is exclusive. The FFXIII demo/AC package is going to be bundled with the ps3. I'm sure Sony/SE will do something for the full game as well.

Cheech

I hope DC Online actually comes out this year. Also excited for MAG.

Am I the only one who is completely unexcited over Infamous, though? It just looks so bland.

AppleBlade

Well it looks like 2009 is well on it's way to being just as great as 2007 and 2008. You know everyone loves to complain about how games aren't as good anymore but I have to say that I am having a blast this gen. Oh and I love my PS3!! It's such a great machine and yet gets way too much bashing!

duk

Banned
PS3's third year will be its best imo. Lots of great games coming out this year. Sony needs to drop price to 299 asap so more peeps can enjoy it!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
duk said:
PS3's third year will be its best imo. Lots of great games coming out this year. Sony needs to drop price to 299 asap so more peeps can enjoy it!

I agree completely.

CiSTM

Banned
Flower and Heavy Rain are probably my most wanted PS3 titles of the year. Especially Flower, game looks just so awesome.

AppleBlade

duk said:
Yeah, I wish they should stop the BS and just sell one SKU at $299.

MrVargas said:
Yeah, I wish they should stop the BS and just sell one SKU at $299.
I'm really, really hoping that by mid-2009 we'll be at a $299/$399 two-SKU price point and have PS2 software BC in some form. One SKU at $299 would be fantastic but I'm not going to bother hoping for it.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Some people have noted that it would be financial suicide for Sony to drop to $299, but I doubt it would really be that bad. What is the worst-case scenario if they did?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The PS3 has an absolutely FANTASTIC lineup next year. I really can't wait, it's a good time to have a PS3. :D

CiSTM

Banned
140.85 said:
Some people have noted that it would be financial suicide for Sony to drop to $299, but I doubt it would really be that bad. What is the worst-case scenario if they did?

Well what is the worst-case scenario if they don't ? PS3 sold well in 2008 and it will sell well in 2009. There is really no need for price cut at this point. It would be good for gamers but Sony is in this for money and slashing prices isn't going to help them gain more money.

Movement

polyh3dron said:
The Agency
DC Universe Online
Gran Turismo 5
MAG
Prototype
Dark Void
Final Fantasy 13 and Vs.13

There is no way Prototype will be delayed, it was supposed to come out this year remember. Its done.

Why would MAG be considered cancelled or delayed. this is Zipper's first next gen game, they probably have been working at this since Socom 3 or Socom PSP.

just asking why is there speculation?

WYWY

polyh3dron said:
Gran Turismo 5 (delayed until 2011)
I'm almost thinking they might as well make it a launch title for PS4... then at least it will have one 'must-get' launch game.

WYWY

140.85 said:

I only see a handful of exclusives that have a chance of 'making a difference' for the brand.

In Japan it's the 2 FF13 titles. In the 'west' it's up to KZ2 - mostly due to the 'west' immense liking for FPS.

AppleBlade

WYWY said:
I'm almost thinking they might as well make it a launch title for PS4... then at least it will have one 'must-get' launch game.
I don't think the PS4 is coming out anytime soon. They have enough time to complete this game and a new Gran Turismo ready for launch for the successor to the PS3.

This might be off-topic but while I think Microsoft will release a new system in 2-3 years I hope Sony really sticks to the original 10 year life-span plan. With wi-fi, a hard-drive, and a blu-ray player as standard equipment in every PS3 the system really seems to be future proof for the foreseeable future. Not to mention it's has a lot of untapped potential thanks to the enigmatic yet powerfull Cell processor.

I hope that by the time Microsoft launches, the PS3 has larger standard hard-drives and has made a slim version of the PS3 which will sell at a fraction of the price of the 360's successor. Sony could launch this slim PS3 on the same day the 360's successor launches. Offer multiple colors and make sure that there is a big blockbuster game also releasing the same day.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
WYWY said:
I only see a handful of exclusives that have a chance of 'making a difference' for the brand.

In Japan it's the 2 FF13 titles. In the 'west' it's up to KZ2 - mostly due to the 'west' immense liking for FPS.
As much as I'm looking forward to KZ2, I can't see it making a difference. It doesn't have any brand power.

A good marketing campaign could make a difference though.

In any case, the PS3 will be fine ultimately. Once it's price drops obviously.

Ashour

1st day pickup:
Killzone 2, Fat Princess, Infamous, Flower, White Knight Chronicles, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank Future 2, Resident Evil 5, Eyepet, Street Fighter 4 (just for the figures in the LE :D )

If I find a good deal or used I’ll pick up:
Call of Duty 6, Bayonetta, Tekken 6 (my wife loves Tekken).

Depending on Demo/Reviews:
Prototype, Godfather II, Alpha Protocol, Trine, Quantum Theory, Heavy Rain, Mafia II

Damn that’s allot of games, and we still don’t know what other games will be released the other half of the year + whatever good Xbox 360 exclusives, I got to start saving now I might even need to get a second job.

Hey don’t forget to add “Cross Edge” (AKA X-Edge) it’s an RPG from Nippon Ichi, it was conformed that its coming stateside next March.

Rapping Granny said:
Why would MAG be considered cancelled or delayed. this is Zipper's first next gen game, they probably have been working at this since Socom 3 or Socom PSP.

just asking why is there speculation?
It just seems like one of those overly ambitious games that'll get canned a la TFLO. It's just a hunch, that's all.

Top Bottom