• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 high-res PC screenshots! (READ RULES)

John

Here's what Turok looks like:

TurokGame+2010-09-28+12-55-27-07.jpg

that is all

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You just made a pretty decent looking game look terrible. Congrats.

When the fuck will people learn about not compressing the ever-loving shit out of Jpegs.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Take screenshots with Fraps in either .png or .bmp as those formats are more or less flawless in quality. Then use any free program you can find on the internet that allows you to convert to jpeg and set it to 100% quality. Compare after and if it doesn't look exactly the same as the original, delete the shit out of the program and pick another.

I personally use Photoshop, but my school provides me with the access.

Blizzard

Banned
John, saving pictures as PNG may cause a slight delay compared to BMP, but I don't know that I've tried it with Fraps (maybe only the Source engine?). It might be easier to just do all your shots as BMPs, and then externally convert them with whatever tool. IrfanView can do batch conversions, but some people might say it's horrible. As long as you don't resize, it should be able to do reasonable conversions at whatever quality you want.

Regarding 100% quality, I would be interested if anyone could actually 100% quality to 95% or 97% quality, in terms of human-observable differences as well as one or two DSP techniques for the original vs. compressed. I really suspect you can save some space by going to 95% and lose very little quality.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
John, saving pictures as PNG may cause a slight delay compared to BMP, but I don't know that I've tried it with Fraps (maybe only the Source engine?). It might be easier to just do all your shots as BMPs, and then externally convert them with whatever tool. IrfanView can do batch conversions, but some people might say it's horrible. As long as you don't resize, it should be able to do reasonable conversions at whatever quality you want.

Regarding 100% quality, I would be interested if anyone could actually 100% quality to 95% or 97% quality, in terms of human-observable differences as well as one or two DSP techniques for the original vs. compressed. I really suspect you can save some space by going to 95% and lose very little quality.
Oh my god who gives a fuck about 300kb. For fucks sake you have to say that shit and then they think they can go further and then the image gets compressed to shit again.

Also, PNG used to do that for me on my older computer so yeah, bmp all the way if your computer is old.

John

All my shots are taken with Fraps as .bmps, then converted to 100% JPG with Imagicon. I don't know what else to say.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
All my shots are taken with Fraps as .bmps, then converted to 100% JPG with Imagicon. I don't know what else to say.
Imagicon is shit then. Can you not see the difference? Go look at your original .bmps.

John

i've deleted my turok bmps since then, but i'll compare with something else tomorrow then. ah well. the OP should be changed not to suggest Imagicon then if it's bad at compression

Crysis on Very High, how you have eluded me for so long. Who's the bitch now?

T9cMb.jpg

Yeah bitch.

cSFdn.jpg

and a little thing I noticed when unpaused the game

All the settings on Very High with 8xAAA (adaptive anti-aliasing) and surprisingly playable. The hit from the AA is only 4 or 5fps. The game hovers between 30 and 50fps occasionally dipping into the mid 20s in really hectic situtations.

This is with a 5850 @ 885/1250MHz and a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz

Blizzard

Banned
I don't mean to be rude, but that foliage really looks kinda bad to me too. :( All the little dots everywhere make my eyes feel like they can't even process the scene properly. I feel like the color is washed out or something too, but from my own screenshots I guess it's the same. The colors of these are probably bad, and the foliage still has annoying little jagged dots and so forth on the palm fronds, but I like this style of foliage a little better since it's not so noisy:

crysis_1aqzo.jpg

crysis_playableet4j.jpg

So what kind of game is that Tomb Raider? it looks very Diablo / Torchlight / Dungeon Crawling ZOMG LEWTZ ish......please tell me it is and I will so buy it right NOW.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Angelus Errare said:
So what kind of game is that Tomb Raider? it looks very Diablo / Torchlight / Dungeon Crawling ZOMG LEWTZ ish......please tell me it is and I will so buy it right NOW.
It's a top-down action game with heavy puzzle and platforming elements and a little more combat than the main series.

Mr_Zombie

Angelus Errare said:
So what kind of game is that Tomb Raider?

It's an AWESOME kind of game. Go buy it now!

On a serious tone, like Stallion Free has said, a top-down action adventures with lots of quick puzzles, platform elements, shooting and co-op. Download the demo and see for yourself whether you like it or not.

Suairyu

Banned
Blizzard said:
I don't mean to be rude, but that foliage really looks kinda bad to me too. :( All the little dots everywhere make my eyes feel like they can't even process the scene properly. I feel like the color is washed out or something too, but from my own screenshots I guess it's the same. The colors of these are probably bad, and the foliage still has annoying little jagged dots and so forth on the palm fronds, but I like this style of foliage a little better since it's not so noisy
Until we get to the stage where graphics cards get powerful enough to run Crysis on Very High with SSAA, we're just stuck with the fantastic-in-motion-terrible-in-stills foliage look for now. ROLL ON THAT DAY.

Suairyu said:
Until we get to the stage where graphics cards get powerful enough to run Crysis on Very High with SSAA, we're just stuck with the fantastic-in-motion-terrible-in-stills foliage look for now. ROLL ON THAT DAY.
no we aren't. you can turn off regular AA and turn on the software edge blurring thing. you'll have jaggies on geometry, but all the foliage will look ace.

i definately think crysis looks better that way.

Fitz

Really liking those Gothic shots, some are giving me a strong Witcher vibe. What kind of AA options (if any) does Gothic have?

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, I never heard of that Gothic 4 game, but I really dig those screenshots. How's the gameplay in that game? I have a hard time playing PC RPGs cuz I'm mostly a console gamer, so I usually use a controller, even on the PC.

Colkate said:
Really liking those Gothic shots, some are giving me a strong Witcher vibe. What kind of AA options (if any) does Gothic have?

No AA options in game. :(

It is similar to The Witcher in graphics and character interaction, but the mechanics of combat and character progression are quite different.

Yuripaw said:
Yeah, I never heard of that Gothic 4 game, but I really dig those screenshots. How's the gameplay in that game? I have a hard time playing PC RPGs cuz I'm mostly a console gamer, so I usually use a controller, even on the PC.

It works great with a controller. It has a 360 port and I get the feeling the UI has been streamlined with a console in mind. It's had quite mediocre reviews though, but that hasn't stopped me enjoying it, especially the exploration and loot. :D

I have a couple of gameplay videos, here and here.

Yuripaw

Banned
lastplayed said:
It works great with a controller. It has a 360 port and I get the feeling the UI has been streamlined with a console in mind. It's had quite mediocre reviews though, but that hasn't stopped me enjoying it, especially the exploration and loot. :D

I have a couple of gameplay videos, here and here.
Awesome, thanks for the video links. I may look into picking this game up at some point. I got a pretty decent PC, and I enjoy just seeing how good games look on it sometimes. I may submit some pics on this thread myself sometime.

Gothic 4

I love this architecture, the main castle town has been built around the ruins of an older structure. :D

mohmpgame-2010-10-15-17-23-19-81.jpg

Crashing the cultists' party.

mohmpgame-2010-10-15-17-33-27-43.jpg

Broseybrose said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/vr7vwk.jpg
This one up here is the best Maf II shot i´ve ever seen. It shows the inzane amount of detail invested in the visuals, sometimes its hard to believe the modelers went that far.

Starting with Vito framed out of focus. The way the light showers the right girl´s back and the wrinkles in the guy´s shorts... just perfect. Too bad the smoke from the cigarret is not visible since the effect is the best one so far in a game.

Top Bottom