• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just heard that no axes are being dropped on How to Be a Gentleman or Charlie's Angles until finals come in and other final demos can be evaluated.

Slayven

ivysaur12 said:
I just heard that no axes are being dropped on How to Be a Gentleman or Charlie's Angles until finals come in and other final demos can be evaluated.
CBS Thursday's 8:30 slot is cursed............with bad shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Good. Another shit show to be shitcanned. Now Charlie's Angels, plz.

But, it seems strange that the first 5 shows to be cancelled this Fall will all be critically panned, as well as low rated.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Good. Another shit show to be shitcanned. Now Charlie's Angels, plz.

But, it seems strange that the first 5 shows to be cancelled this Fall will all be critically panned, as well as low rated.

RIP Lone Star...

No adjustments up for Charlie or Gentleman. Cancellations imminent.

That should take care of the big ones.

Ashhong

TheOddOne said:
Thanks for reminding me that I have to finish watching the pilot.

On the note of pilots, American Horror Story is truly god-awful.

Damn, is the main girl in Secret Circle the girl from Life Unexpected? I guess I will be checking it out now...

RevDM

Banned
Do shows consider online viewings like Hulu, Xfinity, HBO Go, etc? I don't own a TV and I imagine many people in my demographic are in a similar situation. I hate for the wrong shows to get canned.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Basically canceled. Same with Chase last year.

Is this the final season of Rules of Engagement? It was originally scheduled for Saturday, so I was thinking maybe HtBaG could survive on Saturdays? Hopefully not, but is that a possibility for CBS to consider?

Edit: Just read on Deadline that production is shutting down. Bye bye, How to Be a Gentleman.

ivysaur12

Banned
RevDM said:
Do shows consider online viewings like Hulu, Xfinity, HBO Go, etc? I don't own a TV and I imagine many people in my demographic are in a similar situation. I hate for the wrong shows to get canned.

No.

ollin

Should have kept $#*! My Dad Says. I thought it was doing okay ratings wise. I guess it wasn't the huge hit CBS was looking for.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Community is dropping because it's following the Heroes model for "how to destroy your own show by sucking." Office is next.

I tried watching How To Be A Gentleman for Johnny Chase, but it was horrible. I just can't get into a show with a laugh track now.

Raxus

BoboBrazil said:
I tried watching How To Be A Gentleman for Johnny Chase, but it was horrible. I just can't get into a show with a laugh track now.
Watch the IT crowd. Perhaps the only comedy I watch with a laugh track.

PantherLotus said:
Community is dropping because it's following the Heroes model for "how to destroy your own show by sucking." Office is next.

1245227615_colin_farre8dxy.gif

Irish said:
But it's been like that this whole fall season it seems...

TV ratings have been going down every damn year.

Remember when shows like friends were hitting 20 million every week?

Now we have some shows cruising along at 4 million.

*Yes, I know ratings are not total viewers.

Never even heard of How to be a Gentleman. Doesnt that mean CBS will have two first run shows on Saturdays now?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jamesinclair said:
Never even heard of How to be a Gentleman. Doesnt that mean CBS will have two first run shows on Saturdays now?

They swapped out Rules of Engagement to HTBAG's pre-Saturday timeslot, so nope.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
H8R seemed like a good concept on paper, but they had to waste it on celebutantes that deserve the hate. Kim Kardashian? Seriously?

Entropia

No One Remembers
RevDM said:

As Ivy said, they don't which is a damn shame. The problem is a lot of shows on prime-time are going to be going for our age demographic and a lot of us now don't watch cable or use nielsen boxes, etc. We use digital services that you mentioned and they don't get/look at that data at all. If they were able to get a hold of that data they would see that there's a larger audience.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
twinturbo2 said:
H8R seemed like a good concept on paper, but they had to waste it on celebutantes that deserve the hate. Kim Kardashian? Seriously?

twinturbo2
butthurt Kim Kardashian H8R

Only thing Mario Lopez was good in recently was Nip/Tuck being that doctor that was a bisexual sex addict. There, I said it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good enough for Fringe to get its 22, which is all fans care about at this point. Decent for Supernatural numbers... considering.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikita's order was shortened to 13.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Entropia said:
As Ivy said, they don't which is a damn shame. The problem is a lot of shows on prime-time are going to be going for our age demographic and a lot of us now don't watch cable or use nielsen boxes, etc. We use digital services that you mentioned and they don't get/look at that data at all. If they were able to get a hold of that data they would see that there's a larger audience.

It's not a shame, though. Nielsen ratings aren't used to determine which shows are watched. They don't care which shows are watched. They're used to determine how much they can soak advertisers for. Why do they only care about 18-49 year olds? Because advertisers only want to pay for 18-49 year olds. Why are Live+Same Day numbers counted while Live+weeks later numbers not counted? Because advertisers only want to pay for people watching ads within a very narrow window of the intended air time.

If I made a TV show called the "stump cooks eggs happy hour" and literally no one watched the show, literally 0 people, but advertisers were willing to pay millions of dollars for ads, the show would be renewed by tv channels. Nielsen ratings are only important because they set the rates for advertising.

DVD sales and merchandise are, with very few exceptions, frosting on top of the cake. They don't change money-losers to money-winners. Shows are financed by advertising. Yes, people are going increasingly digital or PVRing or catching up on DVD. That's a problem for the industry, because their business model is not set up to profit off shows that everyone watches, but no one watches live. Even international syndication or off-network domestic syndication is seen as a marginal influence on the profitability of a show, even moreso when the primary victor from syndication is the show's production house rather than the airing network.

Pay cable is a little different because subscription fees pay for shows and so there's some indirect value in someone watching a show and maybe that'll eventually subscribe or tell a friend who will or whatever, but network TV is based on advertising.

Maybe in an ideal world, full budget TV shows would be produced exclusively for commercial-free digital and/or DVD audience. We're not there, though. So Nielsen's serve the purpose they're intended to serve.

ivysaur12 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Nikita's order was shortened to 13.

to be replaced with what, a donate to the CW telethon? ;)

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It's not a shame, though. Nielsen ratings aren't used to determine which shows are watched. They don't care which shows are watched. They're used to determine how much they can soak advertisers for. Why do they only care about 18-49 year olds? Because advertisers only want to pay for 18-49 year olds. Why are Live+Same Day numbers counted while Live+weeks later numbers not counted? Because advertisers only want to pay for people watching ads within a very narrow window of the intended air time.

If I made a TV show called the "stump cooks eggs happy hour" and literally no one watched the show, literally 0 people, but advertisers were willing to pay millions of dollars for ads, the show would be renewed by tv channels. Nielsen ratings are only important because they set the rates for advertising.

DVD sales and merchandise are, with very few exceptions, frosting on top of the cake. They don't change money-losers to money-winners. Shows are financed by advertising. Yes, people are going increasingly digital or PVRing or catching up on DVD. That's a problem for the industry, because their business model is not set up to profit off shows that everyone watches, but no one watches live. Even international syndication or off-network domestic syndication is seen as a marginal influence on the profitability of a show, even moreso when the primary victor from syndication is the show's production house rather than the airing network.

Pay cable is a little different because subscription fees pay for shows and so there's some indirect value in someone watching a show and maybe that'll eventually subscribe or tell a friend who will or whatever, but network TV is based on advertising.

Maybe in an ideal world, full budget TV shows would be produced exclusively for commercial-free digital and/or DVD audience. We're not there, though. So Nielsen's serve the purpose they're intended to serve.

to be replaced with what, a donate to the CW telethon? ;)

Advertisers do pay, though not at full price, for Live+3. It was a concession made a few years back, if I recall. Live+7 is used for PR.

And Nielsen should be rolling out their online tracking sometime next year, which will allow everyone to have a better idea. The problem is that there are so many different avenues that people watch on (Hulu, ABC.com, CBS.com... etc) that the clients are different and cause issues with the tracking. Not to mention demographic data...

Also, 18-49 is just one demographic used (obviously, the most popular and most powerful). But the CW and some other specific shows on other networks will sell based on W18-34, adults 18-34 in general.

And replaced with Remolded or "The Frame." Or something. No idea. I guess you're right... lol CW.

They're going to have a very aggressive development slate next year.

ivysaur12

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
I feel bad for Rickety Cricket and RCG Productions, but apparently HTBAG was shit, so it might as well be canned.

It sucks for the crew that are now out of jobs. It's one thing to be canned during pilot season, when you can get picked up on a new show. It's another thing to be canned off season.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
-htownplaya- said:
Wait, Free Agents was cancelled. FUCK! I was actually liking the two main characters, although the rest of the cast was pretty meh. Sucks, oh well.
Any show that takes place in Portland, OR is cancelled. :(

Oh and Supernatural, don't you go anywhere please.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ivysaur12 said:
Advertisers do pay, though not at full price, for Live+3. It was a concession made a few years back, if I recall. Live+7 is used for PR.

And Nielsen should be rolling out their online tracking sometime next year, which will allow everyone to have a better idea. The problem is that there are so many different avenues that people watch on (Hulu, ABC.com, CBS.com... etc) that the clients are different and cause issues with the tracking. Not to mention demographic data...

Also, 18-49 is just one demographic used (obviously, the most popular and most powerful). But the CW and some other specific shows on other networks will sell based on W18-34, adults 18-34 in general.

And replaced with Remolded or "The Frame." Or something. No idea. I guess you're right... lol CW.

They're going to have a very aggressive development slate next year.

Have people login to Nielsen.com and make a profile kinda similar to Facebook but not as open-information and more "profile for this user that watches <<shows here>> at <<places.com>> and is <<age>>."

ivysaur12 said:
If that were the case, I'd be a 18 year old girl whose family makes over $100,000 and I would watch my favorite shows on repeat ;)

Also, some interesting NBC shit I learned last night that doesn't really mean much: Greenblatt hated Harry's Law last year, finds it acceptable this year. It'll stick around because they have too many holes in their schedule, but won't last past this year. Reconstruction failed because the director didn't really do a great job with the material. Katherine McPhee is really good in Smash. Awake is shooting episode four and every script has been "unbelievable" and keeps up the promise of the pilot. Not sure how it's going to do, but genius was thrown around a couple times when describing Kyle Killen. Probably a 10pm show. Everyone likes Greenblatt, excited about next year on NBC.

Up All Night gets progressively better. Spivey has a better feel on the show now.

Awake sounds cool, and I hope it does well, but the asshole in me is looking forward to all the emo rage on TV blogs if it bombs as bad as I suspect it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom