• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT6| The beautiful game in all its thrilling glory

Status
Not open for further replies.
brazil - think they're being a bit underrated. they had the toughest opponents in the round, didn't really play any worse than the other contenders and were a bit unlucky not to go through in 90 mins. they're not outstanding but the team is well balanced. colombia very exciting but yet to play a top team and if neymar made the chilean center backs look like tanks at times rip yepes.
france - france are better suited being a reactive side imo, especially with griezmann hopefully replacing giroud, and i think they can punish loew's tiki-taka garbage much better than algeria
belgium - argentina really suck
netherlands - netherlands have such a patchy squad but face the easiest opponent and van gaal is a wizard. robben and van persie should finish costa rica off.

This is one of very few world cups where I DON'T see a very powerful team.

Last World Cup Spain, Netherlands and even Germany were stacked and seemed like finely tuned machines. Especially after Spain got that L out of the way. France was dope when they won it with Zidane and the WC after it. This year, everyone looks good or great, but they don't look to steamroll anyone. I guess parity is here.

Guys do you think it's possible to stay in total media black out for the Friday's games, I will be able to watch it after 7pm EST.. in my hotel room in New York city.

Before that I will be on the road! traveling through New York State!

As a Canadian, it will be extra hard (and ridiculously expensive) for me to try to even stream it on my phone...

I am nervous once we pull in to NYC there will be lots of people and clues (flag wavers) on who won?

You'll see jerseys but that won't necessarily give out the winner

yep this is what I was saying yesterday.

Belgium revised their system following Euro 2000 and they are really seeing the results now, 10-15 years. It will be approximately be the same time it for Swiss football and Australian football to see their improvements due to the changes in their development system, next World Cup they will both be good.

So I hear the us gave klinsmann a four year extension but this is nowhere long enough. They need someone there for long term to ensure the system gets changed properly (Han burger in Australia and hitzveld in Switzerland).

and to the US supporters complaining about not having a big enough player pool, that is a big misconception.

The US has the second most total players (to china) and second most registered players (to Germany) in the world.

Proof that power of numbers will not consistently produce world class players.

They need to overhaul the system completely. Focus on technique and tactics form a young age and get a heap better coaches, qualified caoches.

hiroshawn

Banned
Event 1:

Costa Rica at Netherlands

Play Time: 2014-07-05 16:00
Selection: Netherlands to win
Odds: 100/223

Event 2:

Germany at France

Play Time: 2014-07-04 12:00
Selection: France to win
Odds: 19/10

Event 3:

Colombia at Brazil

Play Time: 2014-07-04 16:00
Selection: Colombia to win
Odds: 68/25

Bet Type:

Parlay

Bet Odds: 1463/100
Bet Amount: $34.00
Bet Payout: $531.27
Won Amount: Wager Pending

So I hear the us gave klinsmann a four year extension but this is nowhere long enough. They need someone there for long term to ensure the system gets changed properly (Han burger in Australia and hitzveld in Switzerland).

They need to overhaul the system completely. Focus on technique and tactics form a young age and get a heap better coaches, qualified caoches.

I definitely can see Klinsmann on for 2022 as well if he's up for it. If not make him president of the USSF or give him something to help with the whole system. He seems to have the same idea you do (technique and tactics, younger players, working on youth development etc). Edit: he also got Technical Director in the extension.

artist

Banned
Event 1:

Event 2:

Germany at France

Event 3:

Colombia at Brazil

Bet Type:

Parlay

I think you got 2 out of 3 correct there.

Event 1:

Event 2:

Germany at France

Event 3:

Colombia at Brazil

Bet Type:

Parlay

France? Ouch......:p

I definitely can see Klinsmann on for 2022 as well if he's up for it. If not make him president of the USSF or give him something to help with the whole system. He seems to have the same idea you do (technique and tactics, younger players, working on youth development etc). Edit: he also got Technical Director in the extension.

Michel Sablon was the Belgium technical director I forgot the name of. He has been TD since 2000.
Han Berger has just stepped down in Australia as TD after eight years, and hitzveld has just retired after six years and the Swiss TD has been around for a similar time.

The position needs to be long term with so that the transition from the old system to the new system is seen through completely.

My guess is it will take 10 years, min, for the US to reform their system before they start consistently producing starters in big European teams. That is best case scenario if the system is able to be changed and their is not much resistance to the change. However I doubt the colleges want to be left out of the development stage, which will be the US's undoing. If the best players want to focus on playing college football so they get a free education rather than going professional, they may not be coached by the best available which is critical for players aged 18-21.

I'm hoping the US gets their act together. I am in Brazil now and have enjoyed my time with some people for the US. A strong US team is good for world football.

gutshot

I don't think he will stay on as head coach until 2022. I think he will step down after Russia and someone else from his staff will coach the team (Tab Ramos maybe?). I do think he will stay on as technical director though. He has gone on record as saying that these changes are going to take 10-15 years or more to bear fruit. USSF spent years trying to get Klinsmann, so I think they are fully committed to his vision and are willing to be very patient.

I'm hoping the US gets their act together. I am in Brazil now and have enjoyed my time with some people for the US. A strong US team is good for world football.

You and me both.

I don't think he will stay on as head coach until 2022. I think he will step down after Russia and someone else from his staff will coach the team (Tab Ramos maybe?). I do think he will stay on as technical director though. He has gone on record as saying that these changes are going to take 10-15 years or more to bear fruit. USSF spent years trying to get Klinsmann, so I think they are fully committed to his vision and are willing to be very patient.

yeah I can see that. I can see him staying on but I don't think he will.

Whatever he chooses to do, I'm certainly excited to see how it turns out.

Acorn

Only just found out that crappy Ricky Martin song was the official one of 98. Not carnaval de Paris by dario g.

I don't even recall hearing the Ricky Martin one and refuse to accept it was official, sullies my memories of 98.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Only just found out that crappy Ricky Martin song was the official one of 98. Not carnaval de Paris by dario g.

I don't even recall hearing the Ricky Martin one and refuse to accept it was official, sullies my memories of 98.

Carnival de Paris was fucking amazing, but Ricky Martin's song was catchy as fuck.

I like this year's Dar um Jeito, tbh.

linkboy

And good for the country itself.

More people need to go out and support a MLS team

I would love to go see the Earthquake when they play at Levi's Stadium (the 49ers new stadium) in a few months, but sadly I live in Montana and the two closest teams are Seattle (and my 49ers fan bias is kicking in here with Seattle) and Salt Lake City.

I'm glad (and hoping) that soccer is finally starting to make inroads in the US. I loved playing the game when I was a kid and I hope my son plays it when he gets older (he's 3 right now).

Soul Beat

Damn, I just realized that I've got no way to watch the rest of the World Cup now since Univision.com will require a cable provider login now. :(

Is there any other place where I can watch it?

And good for the country itself.

More people need to go out and support a MLS team

Definitely. It's too bad the US doesn't have as strong of a league as those in Europe. Ours just seems too isolated and not as culturally relevant. If there was a Super Bowl-ish event for soccer that was heavily advertised and watched, it could really benefit the teams. Still, I think in maybe 20 years, soccer will overtake American football as the sport of choice when people realize the frequent and debilitating injuries that come from playing American football aren't worth it.

Damn, I just realized that I've got no way to watch the rest of the World Cup now since Univision.com will require a cable provider login now. :(

Is there any other place where I can watch it?

Get Zenmate, a proxy/tunneling extension for CHrome, set your location to the UK, and watch via BBC or ITV.

Dr.Acula

Banned

The discussion of instituting a system of promotion and relegation has become taboo to the point that suggesting it is a quick way to be labelled as an unrealistic radical. Instead of promoting competition and the arms race of player development that would follow, the league’s successes (and failures) are shared among all clubs, watering down the essence of a true football pyramid and never allowing ambition to flourish beyond the lowest common denominator.
Ironically, in a nation founded on ideals of free-market capitalism, the current system requires as little financial commitment as possible and discourages teams in the same league from competing for resources. American players at the World Cup are handicapped because they grow up in an environment not subject to the same forces of competition that forges players for their opponents.

Americans are the real communists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom