• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

0racle

I loved the conference, Microsoft did an amazing job. They stuck to games, ONLY games. They barely spoke about anything at all besides just the games they were showing.

As a PS4/xboxOne owner I didn't hit me until after the conference that my XBOX one will probably get powered up this year just to play sunset overdrive. Don't get me wrong there are WAY to may games coming out this year this "holiday" but as history has proven they will run better on the PS4.

In my opinion there was nothing really exciting announced. Sure there are good games coming and they at least showed them but I cant get excited for it until gameplay is shown.

The only MS exclusive that got me excited was Sunset Overdrive. That's a pretty sad showing in my opinion.

Pretty much this as well. As someone who couldn't give less of a crap about Halo, Fable, Dance Central and Forza, the MS exclusive lineup was incredibly unappealing.

Leaned too heavily on CGI bullshit and multiplatform for my taste.

Who the hell decided that using Twitch for the post-show Q&A was a good idea?

s3YgnTN.jpg

lizard people

zmihaie

Banned
the 3 games that caught my attention weren't even exclusive to XB1
yes, MS stayed on point, but the actual content was meh - very few titles that were actually news

starting with CoD ... no, just no!
Mitchel do this, Mitchel do that, Mitchel go **** yourself :facepalm:

I really don't get the hate towards CG trailers.

It's because it tells you almost nothing about the actual game you're gonna play. They may as well just show you a sign that says "Tomb Raider is coming out".

For example, I could not even begin to tell you what the hell the platinum game is gonna be like like. Or how it will play.

Philippo

A solid 9/10 conference, i never had an Xbox console (have a ps4 atm) but i'll gladly considered it now.
Good job MS and Phil Spencer, you recovered a lot of positive image, keep it this way.

Domination of what?

Anyway... the conference was good for MS. It was good to see a complete focus on games. For me, Inside looked the most interesting.
Yeah Inside looks good too, but I can't get a read on how it's gonna play. Stealth is obviously a factor, I just want it to be in-depth if it is ;)

WoolyNinja

Nothing to get me to grab an Xbox One. The only exclusive I'm even remotely interested in is Sunset Overdrive. If that turns out to be great it may be tough to resist as I love Insomniac in general.

Not a bad conference but expected a bit more. No real interest in any of the multiplats. The Conker troll was painful. Crackdown and Phantom Dust are good announcements for the future.

Hyped for Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive and maybe Halo though!

Also dat
Nurburgring
!

Over for them, sure.

I think the conference today, in a bubble, was a solid 8.5/10 with lots of amazing software being shown. Indies especially.

But when you looked at from the perspective of a PS4 owner, or PC owner or multiplatform owner.... It begins to fall apart.

6.5/10

More exclusive content and less cg would have easily bumped it up to a 9 for me.

I think that's a fair assessment. XBone owners are excited to be playing Halo again, I can appreciate that, especially the first (and best imo).

People expect pristine gameplay footage from games that will come out in 2015 or 2016. Nothing else will do!

I'd expect games that aren't ready to be shown, not to be shown. But hey, that's just me. I hated that crap back in 2005/6 when Sony had CGI all over the place and I hate it now.

I think it was a pretty solid conference. I don't think there was anything too spectacular or unexpected but there wasn't anything terrible, either. I don't think we'll be seeing disasters like Mr. Skittles again.

Probably one of the best conferences I have seen in a long time. No PR BS.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Early DLC
Forza 5 - Free DLC
Forza Horizon 2 - 9/30
eVolve - Exclusive beta and early DLC
Assassins Creed Unity
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Early DLC
Sunset Overdrive - 10/28
Dead Rising 3 - Sick ass DLC
Dance Central - Meh
Fable Legends - Beta this fall
Project Spark - More building tools
ori - Holy Fuck!
Halo Master Chief Collection - Halo 2
Inside - Limbo 2?
Indie games - Some looked meh, some looked awesome
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Witcher 3 - Dat gameplay
Killer Instinct - TJ Combo this week
Phantom Dust - Remastered
The Division - Early DLC
Scalebound - Exclusive Platinum game
Crackdown - 3?

BraXzy

Yes, we wanted games. They focused on game announcements, but didin't really show much on the gameplay department. I'm not getting hyped for CG trailers

Sunset Overdrive gameplay, Halo 2 anniversary gameplay, Killer Instinct gameplay, Evolve gameplay, Call of Duty gameplay, Witcher 3 gameplay, Fable gameplay, The Division gameplay, AC Unity gameplay, indie gameplay montage.. etc. etc.

Sure they showed a fair number of CG trailers, but that's all for stuff that obviously isn't ready for a big reveal. How can people say there was no gameplay?

I think the show would of been better if they announced things like the $399 price drop and the game announcements today. I was under the impression that the reason for the early reveals was to give the show more space for games. Well, what new games? Most of what they showed we already knew about or are multiplatform. I understand the focus on games, they forced themselves into that position, but there's nothing wrong at all at announcing a price drop and what's upcoming for thd Xbox OS and Live. Like how it use to be.

Yea, seriously. For all the hype they really diminished it with all these early announcements. They could have easily fit the price drop and Halo 5 full reveal in the conference.

They fucked up there, it would have been huge to end the conference with dropping Kinect for $399.

At least there weren't a lot of groan inducing moments. The way the players spoke to each other in that co-op Division demo made me cringe, but all in all it was a solid and well presented conference.

I really thought Microsoft would come stronger than that.

Yep. Great template in terms of pacing and strategy (games, games, games) but I expected more in terms of announcements Xbox fan here so no console war bullshit. It was solid but I wanted more than mostly previously announced stuff and third party.

Generous 7/10. Halo, it's Halo, Sunset Overdrive looks nice but nothing else that's coming soon really grabbed me. Of course Crackdown will be a must when that comes out but too much CG, Forza Horizon 2 needed actually gameplay, it worries me that there isn't any yet (unless I missed it).

Ubisoft can just stop showing up for me, all they do is stick a video on. Everyone with half a brain knows they aren't really playing it, stop trying to convince us otherwise.

Cup Head looks good and that DR3 DLC looks fun too, if a little mad.

Showing Conker like that is unforgivable though.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I expect 1 or 2 megatons. Honestly, the fans are already on their side so they don't have to do much to "win". Showing Uncharted gameplay and the mere mention of TLG will win them favor. Everything else is icing. It was MS that needed to prove themselves.

Not true after Halo reveal. Masterchief chief collection has set a solid base for XBone. Watch dem units selling like pancakes

Raide

To be fair, slices are used to pitch a game or update those that need to know about it's progress. Unless these are brand new projects, they will all have some form of playable section that already exists. It is not a great ask to see *something* of that, although understandable all the same if they would rather wait for it to be more shiny.

Devs this far out are caught between showing it off in a rough state and people going 'meh game sucks' or showing off CG and people going 'meh game sucks.'

The XB1 is shaping up to be a nice platform. All in all, the new announcements were decent, but sadly there were no megatons.

Frankly, I think the age of "megaton surprise announcements at E3 pressers" is over. Everything of importance is let known via PR or leaked ahead of time. The games that are the biggest headliners are usually expected sequels or already announced new IPs. If a completely new game is announced, it's usually CG and very little information is shown, which tempers the hype a lot.

In all honesty I wouldn't call this presser "bad". I'm not going to claim this E3 is now Sony's to win. But at the same time I wouldn't call it "great", nor am I going to say Sony has their work cut out for them. MS's met reasonable E3 expectations but didn't set the world on fire.

If they can keep a steady stream of releases it'll definitely make my wait for an XB1 later this generation a good choice.

To be fair, slices are used to pitch a game or update those that need to know about it's progress. Unless these are brand new projects, they will all have some form of playable section that already exists. It is not a great ask to see *something* of that, although understandable all the same if they would rather wait for it to be more shiny.

No we want to be able to complain when it doesn't match the finished game.

My only disappointment is the lack of a real Conker game. I was already sure to get Project Spark ( I want to make an RPG) but when that logo stitched itself back up, my heart sunk.

I really haven't liked XBox all that much, and didn't want to get a XBO simply because they attemted to pull that DRM stunt, but that was a fantastic conference imo and will definatly think about getting a XBO next year after I get a PS4 this year.

Great show, unless Sony shows TLG, I think MS beat them imo. Nintendo will probably win E3 for me tho since I love their games so much more than any other developers, but some awesome games shown today that makes me want to jump on. :)

Sunset Overdrive gameplay, Halo 2 anniversary gameplay, Killer Instinct gameplay, Evolve gameplay, Call of Duty gameplay, Witcher 3 gameplay, Fable gameplay, The Division gameplay, AC Unity gameplay, indie gameplay montage.. etc. etc.

Sure they showed a fair number of CG trailers, but that's all for stuff that obviously isn't ready for a big reveal. How can people say there was no gameplay?

And of all those, only one exclusive, and one remake. That's exactly the problem.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sunset, phantom dust and scalebound are really interesting. acreed and tomb raider too. others not su much for me. 14 still seems pretty weak

Mononoke

Banned
Solid conference but nothing amazing. But I still thought it was good. Is it just me or does sunset look kind of rough? Fps looks really shaky.

Jhriad

Loved the tone in Sunset Overdrive (even if I don't have any interest in playing it personally) plus that Dead Rising 3 DLC trailer and somehow I'm actually interested in playing a Call of Duty game (my first since CoD4). Fable looked pretty meh and I really don't like a lot of the styling in Dragon Age but we'll see. Solid showing but nothing too surprising really. I was hoping to see something big drop but at least it was a pretty consistently solid show.

Shoyz

When they opened the conference building up to timed-exclusive DLC and a trailer for Call of Duty I thought I'd be underwhelmed, but the Conker bait and switch..I'm so sad.

Top Bottom