• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

KissVibes

Banned
You sound deeply hurt by this.

How? In what way do I sound deeply hurt? I said it's pretty gross.

If Someone from Microsoft retweeted a snide comment about a competitors product, I'd think it was pretty gross too.

So many of you are so wrapped up in everything being a console warz comment that nobody can say anything without someone suggesting that I'm deeply hurt or thinking I have some bias. This system war bullshit is absolutely the worst and I think it's gross when companies actively engaging in it or supporting it via retweets, especially when last heard their competitors aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housemarque

"Housemarque is an independent game developer"...

I know that but I'm glad several people decided to tell me just in case.

It was retweeted by Shuhei Yoshida.

fedexpeon

Banned
If there is one thing Sony could learn from Microsoft, it's the format and delivery of their press conferences.

I hope not. The format was awful.
Showing all CG back to back is boring.
They need to break it up by making the conference like a talk show, summarize what you shown, and introduce the devs so they can talk more about it. Not introducing the devs, playing a CG, snoozefest, repeat like MS format.
And no #hashtag movements please.
I rather see sale numbers and charts instead of #Favoritegame mini-clips.

Garjon

I thought AW looked fantastic graphically, especially the facial modelling but the demo itself was really boring, full of the same scripted nonsense and the feeling of not really being in control of the game. I was sort of the same for Unity; while the gameplay was a bit of a step up from the previous iterations of the game, it still felt you were being forced down a path. I mean, if those buildings were more open and the demo was just trying to rush through it for time then that's fair enough, but it still didn't feel like anything more than Assassin's Creed with co-op.

For me the highlight was that Dead Rising DLC trailer; it's nice to see Capcom making fun of themselves and the game itself looked stupidly fun, like Dead Rising 2 (and 3) maybe should've been.

Between Phantom Dust, Platinum Games' Announcement, Rise of Tomb Raider, and the indies, I am pleasantly surprised. Sunset Overdrive looks more interesting than I thought as well, and Forza Horizon 2 looks pleasantly awesome. Give me a scoop of all the best Halos combined and remastered and a few other impressive games and this conference was among some of the best.

Great conference. I don't see the hate

Was it just me or was the fellow presenting for The Division just holding a controller? Do they make them do that to convince us it's actual gameplay or something?

All in all I thought the conference was good, Master Chief Collection will give me a good reason to turn on my Xbox come November, so I'm happy about that. That Dead Rising DLC looks interesting as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: CG

Again, this is the new normal. Games have two to three year development cycles now. A typical, on-schedule game gets announced at an E3 with a CG trailer, shows playable gameplay the next E3, and then releases in the year after that. Some games are announced later than others. Some are sequels and build on tech more iteratively and so get up and running faster. Some games are announced 5 years in advance.

But the STANDARD now for non-annualized titles is two E3 appearances, one as a teaser or CG trailer or totally faked gameplay and one with somewhat more real gameplay.

So what you saw was gameplay for games that will be coming out in the next year (Sunset Overdrive, Fable Legends possibly--but at least the beta in the next year, CoD annualized game) and CG for games coming out 2015-2016. That's the pattern with Sunset Overdrive. That's the pattern with The Order 1886. That's the pattern with most games. You're seeing CG trailers for Crackdown and Platinum for that reason. I would expect the same thing with most other publishers going forward.

For me:

Pros:
-Heavy focus on games
-Next to no Kinect
-Sunset Overdrive looked cool with game play.
-A couple other minorly interesting titles

Cons:
-Most the interesting stuff was multiplatform
-Nearly all the remainder was CG.
-There was actually too little Kinect. This is supposed to be XB1's big defining thing, and all this conference seemed to show is that it was big mistake and they are dropping it as fast as they can.

Overall, 7/10, solid performance, but nothing game changing.

TalonJH

It was a solid conference. I was just hoping for something that we knew nothing about. No big surprises announced honestly.

Even though I don't mind the business side at press events, I enjoyed the game after game after game.

Personally I just expected something that would be like, "yeah, check this out...yeah, only on XBox."

Indies defiantly took the show for me.

Congrats MS.

The era of real surprises at E3 at anything other than a console reveal is over, and it's been trending that way for years.

Looking more and more like it. With all the leaks they'll have to do disinfo campaigns just to keep people in the shadows lol.

Still a fun time though. The One conference was your average decent conference.

Pillville

I enjoyed the focus on games.

BUT I would have liked to have seen some talk of upcoming system features.
I am really interested to know if they are going to rework the UI to work better for kinect-less machines.

VeeP

Solid event.

Yes they had CG trailers, but honestly after the Order 1866 reaction, I'd rather wait until developers are ready to show gameplay instead of seeing people complaining.

Solid conference. Some cool games. Halo 2 Online!!! Hopefully Sony has some sick announcements as well.

Sean

Banned
Solid conference, although no huge shockers after ntkrnl's major leaks.

Thought it was nicely paced with game after game for the whole 90 minutes. No bullshit introductions from the developers or bullshit talk from execs, no apps or TV shit, no Kinect, no cloud powered talk.

I liked how it was split up into 2014 games first and then 2015-2016 games. Pretty much all of the multiplatform titles shown had either exclusive DLC or some other perk.

Was a bit surprised they didn't show a true Halo 5 trailer, and no Quantum Break. And I would've expected some kind of Gears teaser, even if it was just a chainsaw revving sound with the logo on-screen.

I expect Sony to have a better conference because there hasn't really been much leaks there.

Between Phantom Dust, Platinum Games' Announcement, Rise of Tomb Raider, and the indies, I am pleasantly surprised. Sunset Overdrive looks more interesting than I thought as well, and Forza Horizon 2 looks pleasantly awesome. Give me a scoop of all the best Halos combined and remastered and a few other impressive games and this conference was among some of the best.

Great conference. I don't see the hate

Personally, the only games that interested me were PD, and PG's Scalebound. Some of the indies looked cool, but a few of those were very questionable.

Better than last year, that's for sure.

And that Twitch pre-show was awful. At least my tweet got up, even though it was followed with awkward banter trying to deflect my "compliment".

Again, this is the new normal. Games have two to three year development cycles now. A typical, on-schedule game gets announced at an E3 with a CG trailer, shows playable gameplay the next E3, and then releases in the year after that. Some games are announced later than others. Some are sequels and build on tech more iteratively and so get up and running faster. Some games are announced 5 years in advance.

But the STANDARD now for non-annualized titles is two E3 appearances, one as a teaser or CG trailer or totally faked gameplay and one with somewhat more real gameplay.

That's the pattern with Sunset Overdrive. That's the pattern with The Order 1886. That's the pattern with most games. You're seeing CG trailers for Crackdown and Platinum for that reason. I would expect the same thing with most other publishers going forward.

The Order had a CG trailer? When? It seems that the only one doing this is MS.

Fable Legends, Sunset overdrive, Project Spark, Orin, Inside are more than one game.

Three which we already know about, one timed, and one that looked pretty great (Orin).

I'd expect games that aren't ready to be shown, not to be shown. But hey, that's just me. I hated that crap back in 2005/6 when Sony had CGI all over the place and I hate it now.

At least they weren't trying to palm it off as gameplay, but yeah, I really dislike CGI. I don't get why they'd waste resources doing it, just put those clearly talented artists to work on the game assets.

Also, showing games that are over 2 years away seems.... desperate. I think MS showed too much last year that wouldn't make this year (unlike Sony, who showed stuff last year they planned on releasing this year), so they need to go even further forward now to show us that new titles are coming.

jony_m

Some solid stuff but I don't see how it helps them sell consoles in 2014 (and even 2015)

Is Halo collection/Sunset overdrive enough?

Sony's exclusives for 2014 are also lacking but multi-plats are probably going be better performing (at least parity) on PS4.

Interested in: Inside, AC Unity and Witcher 3

Stillmatic

7/10

I though it was a solid conference. Loved the format, game after game, perfection. It lacked oomph for me though. Most of the games were 3rd party, not necessarily a bad thing, but I'll be getting on PS4 for obvious reasons.

Highlights:
- Sunset Overdrive looks fantastic (2014)
- Scalebound - Not as large impact due to CG (too far off to show in-game?)
- Crackdown - Not as large impact due to CG (too far off to show in-game?)
- Inside - Loved Limbo and this oozes atmosphere
- Ori - Looks great!

Fell flat:
- Forza Horizon 2 - Graphically looked early/rough
- Fable - Didn't look interesting at all
- Project Spark - No interest
- Phantom Dust - I am not familiar with the original
- Halo collection - Halo has never been that big for me, though I enjoy the series.

There was a lot more CG than I expected, I guess they're announcing a few games too early?

timlot

Banned
Overall show was pretty good to me. Glad there were no hiccups like freezes and lights going out. Looking forward to Halo collection, Sunset, and maybe Horizon.

That was a good conference. The only awkward moment was when Ted Price pointed at the crowd and said "yoooou!"...
Nothing mindblowing, but overall a good conference. I was not expecting COD to look so good!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think the show would of been better if they announced things like the $399 price drop and the game announcements today. I was under the impression that the reason for the early reveals was to give the show more space for games. Well, what new games? Most of what they showed we already knew about or are multiplatform. I understand the focus on games, they forced themselves into that position, but there's nothing wrong at all at announcing a price drop and what's upcoming for the Xbox OS and Live. Like how it use to be.

They talked about too much stuff early that should of a surprise for E3.

Ummmm.......Beast Souls?????? If it didn't leak.
Isn't that kind of what he's referring to Scalebound was leaked, Crackdown was leaked, Halo collection was leaked. Every major exclusive was leaked for this conference.

Ntkrnl really did drop almost everything.

What the conference did a great job of doing is showing it cool to be an XBO only gamer. Shit tons of third party games with early access to DLC, good amount of exclusives on the way and lots of Indies.

So if someone hasn't jumped into this new generation, this conference might have swayed some on the fence. Especially with Halo, Call of Duty, Crackdown and Assassins Creed Unity.

.GqueB.

Banned
IT would suck for people who are watching Sony's presser at a theater if all they did was present numbers and graphs. I for one don't believe that is going to be happen.

Agreed but the sad part is they discuss sales every year even when they don't really have the dominant numbers to make something like that worth it. But now they have them... god help us all.

I did love that one year when they presented them via LBP. Amazing idea.

B- for MS conference. Phantom Dust was a great reveal.

The multiplat stuff left a lot to be desired as it's typical practice for MS to secure these types of deals.

MilesTeg

Banned
To me this conference has proven just how tough a position MS is in to lock up third party exclusives with Xbox One. Kamiya game was only third party exclusive announce correct? Other than that, DLC first on Evolve and The Division...yawn.

what happened to that rumor of MS getting all of EA's Star Wars games exclusively? ohh crap it was just a nightmare i had, nevermind.

but think about it, what if that went down?

Bloodrage

Banned

So what you saw was gameplay for games that will be coming out in the next year (Sunset Overdrive, Fable Legends possibly--but at least the beta in the next year, CoD annualized game) and CG for games coming out 2015-2016. That's the pattern with Sunset Overdrive. That's the pattern with The Order 1886. That's the pattern with most games. You're seeing CG trailers for Crackdown and Platinum for that reason. I would expect the same thing with most other publishers going forward.
The Order never had a CGI trailer. It just looks that good.

I think the show would of been better if they announced things like the $399 price drop and the game announcements today. I was under the impression that the reason for the early reveals was to give the show more space for games. Well, what new games? Most of what they showed we already knew about or are multiplatform. I understand the focus on games, they forced themselves into that position, but there's nothing wrong at all at announcing a price drop and what's upcoming for the Xbox OS and Live. Like how it use to be.

They talked about too much stuff early that should of been a surprise for E3.

Ummmm.......Beast Souls?????? If it didn't leak.

I have to disagree about the price drop. If they announced the removal of Kinect on that stage then that is all people would have talked about instead of focusing on the games. I think MS announcing the price drop early was a smart move

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I have never owned a Microsoft console but I would buy one just for the Halo collection... only if the console was $199. Because other than that collection, I am going to be buying every other game on the PS4. Everything else that interested me was a multi-platform title, so I'm definitely not getting those on the XB1. The Halo collection I thought was really nice for those who have never played it, such as myself.

I couldn't watch it live so I followed a blog. I thought over all that it was decent.

VaizardNL

Banned
Absolutely great conference, though I was hoping for some more actual gameplay and I didn't get an actual Megaton feeling at the end like I normally did. Really loved the way the Sunset Overdrive trailer mocked traditional shooters. And the mention that it is a game also made me laugh, since it is exactly what SO is, a game for pure fun and nothing else. The gameplay also looked amazing

Overall a great conference, but too trailer'ish/CG filled for my taste. But that might have to do with the fact that the last half was all about games coming out in the next years. Since the beginning had quite some gameplay in it.

Guymelef

Excellent in only games and fast but...

-We knew about Halo.
-We knew about Forza.
-We knew about Crackdown
-We knew about Phantom Dust
-We knew about Platinum game.

No surprises here...

Top Bottom