• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

I'm very pleased and impressed that they went for the games only direction this E3, but now that I've calmed down from the hype.. Anybody else wish they touched just a little bit on new features or firmware updates coming out? Just more incentives to buy an Xbox One rather than purely games. I feel dirty for even suggesting that because I think games are most important for a console, but anything on the firmware side of things would have been a good thing. It was still a great conference regardless, though.

SRTtoZ

I liked the conference but I hate the forced co-op and MP in every single game nowadays. I don't want someone screwing up my experience.

Mastperf

If The Witcher was actually running on XB1 then I'm very impressed and looking forward to seeing how the PS4 version looks. If it was PC then I'm disappointed that they would mislead like that.

I thought it was a good showing for MS.

Liked:
Dance Central announcement
Halo collection looks solid
Sunset Overdrive looks fun, worried that there isn't enough meat to it.
Inside, Ori and a good number of the games in the indy montaged looked great.
Crackdown and Phantom Dust announcements were good
Dead Rising super insanity big surprise will check it out later.
All the 3rd party games looked good.

Bad
Fable Legends is just an area game? if it's $20-$40 maybe.
No Megatons but those seem rare these days.
Conker tease was a miss.

I enjoyed it, didn't get to bored, and I have games to look forward to.

I doubt I'll ever get an X1 but I watched the conference and it was good. No awkward scripted crap from suits and it was all about the games. I'm just annoyed at all of the timed dlc. It just seems pointless to me.

kekke

Banned
how are people so excited for halo remakes wtf

Why not, most of those games are pretty old already, and with solid multiplayer you can't experience anymore in same scale as One can offer. People are waiting for Last of Us remake, and that game came last year.

B.O.O.M

I rate it a solid 7/10

A solid conference...but underwhelming. I think the issue is the unnecessary hyping of the event/third party exclusive.

Plus
Witcher 3 = looked awesome
AC Unity = looked interesting
Ori = beautiful looking game
Sunset Overdrive = traversal looks like a ton of fun
Halo = that collection is great value for money. Good work MS

Bad
COD section was too long...15mins I think
Way way way too many CG trailer. I am all for a fun CG trailer or two but this was just too much.
Not many surprises....and I'm not saying this just about games we didn't know. Even the ones we knew didn't look that...surprising? good? Interesting?
Ending with Crackdown was...questionable choice.

Overall solid stuff from MS. E3 is off to a good start this year

I expect 1 or 2 megatons. Honestly, the fans are already on their side so they don't have to do much to "win". Showing Uncharted gameplay and the mere mention of TLG will win them favor. Everything else is icing. It was MS that needed to prove themselves.
Project Beast would've been the megaton if asshats hadn't leaked it a month in advance >(

My only gripe with the conference was the absence of Quantum Break.
And where was EA?

I mean not that I needed them there, kinda odd them not being there given how deep in their ass they were last year and how many games they showed off there despite them having their own conference.

Also, Phil Spencer saying absolutely nothing about Kinect is about the same as putting a huge middle finger up on the screen behind him while thanking the current xbox one owners.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If The Witcher was actually running on XB1 then I'm very impressed and looking forward to seeing how the PS4 version looks. If it was PC then I'm disappointed that they would mislead like that.

I doubt anything at the conference was running on Xbox One.

Raide

My only disappointment is the lack of a real Conker game. I was already sure to get Project Spark ( I want to make an RPG) but when that logo stitched itself back up, my heart sunk.

The fact he actually appeared could be MS getting his name knows a little more outside of the old-core fans. Maybe Ken Lobb will b eon it next!

Could conker have been an actual megaton if it were a real sequel? That was the fastest I had ever seen neogaf go when he showed up.

sn00zer

It was kind of strange, I thought the beginning of the conference was really strong with the live gameplay..... my excitement kind of tapered off around the project spark demo....after that it was almost exclusively CG trailers, I actually like CG trailers when they are peppered throughout a conference, but MS gave me a plate of pepper for the second half

xboxkillzonegifhighquality_by_syeds-d6u5m5j.gif

This was DOMINATION

I wouldn't say that until you see your competitors. Great gif, just poor placement.

Morokh

Many games, very few that I could be interested in.

Sunset Overdrive is the only one that really caught my eyes, and had a sort of funny 'Jet set Radio' vibe to it with all the gliding.

New Kamiya Game can't really be judged without proper gameplay, but so far it looks like it could be a weird mash-up of several other games.

Funny thing, that new Fable with the 'dungeon master' mode does something that was suggested for the WiiU several times .....

The rest I'll enjoy on PC even if they secured stupid timed DLC exclusives ....

Little sick of all the PR wrap up about the 'Future' of everything and their mother, as with the way they spin their 180 compared to last years announcement ... yes you did what any sane-minded company would have to not burn their market ... do you want a medal too ?
But I guess my PR complaints won't get better with EA coming next xD

Sunset Overdrive gameplay, Halo 2 anniversary gameplay, Call of Duty gameplay, Witcher 3 gameplay, Fable gameplay, The Division gameplay, AC Unity gameplay, indie gameplay montage.. etc. etc.

Sure they showed a fair number of CG trailers, but that's all for stuff that obviously isn't ready for a big reveal. How can people say there was no gameplay?

Sunset Overdrive looks amazing. Halo 2 is a decade old. Fable looks like poop.

CoD, Witcher, Division and AC as well with the vast majority of indie games are multiplatform and will run and look better on the PS4. I'm looking for reasons to get an XB1

All the other announcements for exclusive XB1 stuff was CG, so I have no interest in them until I see some gameplay.

RayMaker

Banned
The conference just lacked that one game that makes everyone go crazy.

I really want to play that Kamiya game with Jack Frost look alike.

Yeah this is how felt,

Its was all very good, but nothing mind blowing, to much CGI and 3rd party.

I was expecting some some halo 5 tech demo/gameplay or a crackdown 3 cloud tech demo and some major 3rd party exclusive (GTA5 exclusive DLC or something)
something that made me say ''wow'', plus everything else they showed.

I give it B+, tons of great content and the right message, just missing a few moments where Phil is like ''yeah we are doing this on our box and I know its amazing'' and some 3rd party exclusive thats says ''we're Microsoft. dont fuck with us''.

At this point all sony has to do win is show some amazing uncharted demo which we know ND are capable of , TLG would seal the deal even further.

Hmm it was decent and very nice of Microsoft that they focused on games only so I give them and 6-7/10 :) Counting the non-multiplatform stuff the games that made me itch to get a Xbox were Ori, Forza Horizon and to a extend Project Spark so I might play with the thought to pick up one during the second half of the generation when the price drops further.

Aside from that, the Conker tie-in was really mean to fans and I laughed at Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha Dash, atleast Capcom can make jokes about themselves to an extend :p

Positives
+ Sunset Overdrive
+ Fable Legends
+ Halo
+ Ori
+ Scalebound
+ Crackdown
+ Focus on games
+ Project Spark

Meh
~ Forza Horizons 2
~ Dance Central
~ Dead Rising DLC
~ Phantom Dust

Negatives
- 50% of conference was already announced multiplats (most of which will be better on other platforms, PS4/PC) (Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Dragon Age, Evolve, Tomb Raider, Witcher, The Division)
- No Gears of War
- Online Co-op only for most of the co-op games
- Too many CG trailers
- Using Conker to sell Project Spark instead of making an actual Conker game

Could have been a lot worse, could have been a little better.

dr_rus

Not impressed. If anything this cemented my believe that XBO will be the same as 360 as in a distinct lack of decent exclusives outside of Halo (which I'm completely burned out of after H3). Showcasing multiplayer (which will run better on PS4 and PC) and buying DLC isn't enough for me to buy an XBO. I need at least two more games like Quantum Break and I need to be sure that they won't be released on PC a year or two after.

Admodieus

Why not, most of those games are pretty old already, and with solid multiplayer you can't experience anymore in same scale as One can offer. People are waiting for Last of Us remake, and that game came last year.

A lot of those people made the jump to PS4 from 360 this past year and never played TLoU on the PS3.

sikkinixx

Just reading Twitter stuff on what happened. Seems cool they went all games but nothing that blew my mind. Sunset Overdrive continues to look cool, but as a Xbone exclusive I doubt I will ever get around to playing it (PC release maybe...?) I'm guessing Sony's will be much the same, mostly 3rd party stuff (weird Ass Creed was with MS this go around) with a few exclusives sprinkled in.

I expect 1 or 2 megatons. Honestly, the fans are already on their side so they don't have to do much to "win". Showing Uncharted gameplay and the mere mention of TLG will win them favor. Everything else is icing. It was MS that needed to prove themselves.

IT would suck for people who are watching Sony's presser at a theater if all they did was present numbers and graphs. I for one don't believe that is going to be happen.

Urgh, I'm gonna have to buy an Xbox One now for that Halo collection. Assuming it's faithful to the original, I'm probably then gonna 'waste' a significant amount of time this generation playing a game that came out 10 years ago. I''ll love it, but probably hate myself a little bit at the same time.

In reality? It's as niche as it gets. A good IP to have, don't get me wrong, but if you're going to dig in the crates for old Xbox favourites to bring back, it wouldn't be in my top 5. The tepid applause afterwards from the crowd pretty much sums it up.

Killer Instinct was a megaton. Perfect Dark would be a megaton. Crackdown? We knew it was coming but still - a pretty big deal. Phantom Dust? Not in the same league.

The whole conference felt safe. Which is fine, but safe isn't going to capture the imagination...or the market.

I think the leaks killed them. The announcements pre E3 also took a lot of the wind out of their sails in my opinion.

If the leaks hadn't happened and they kept Horizon 2 under wraps along with the price cut, it would have been a much more impressive presser.

I still think it was good, but it was far too safe, too many CG trailers and too many games that won't be hitting shelves until mid/late 2015. They should dedicated more time to games like Inside and some of the more interesting indie titles like Below, the planet game, the noir title, etc.

On Demand

Banned
I think the show would of been better if they announced things like the $399 price drop and the game announcements today. I was under the impression that the reason for the early reveals was to give the show more space for games. Well, what new games? Most of what they showed we already knew about or are multiplatform. I understand the focus on games, they forced themselves into that position, but there's nothing wrong at all at announcing a price drop and what's upcoming for the Xbox OS and Live. Like how it use to be.

They talked about too much stuff early that should of been a surprise for E3.

The era of real surprises at E3 at anything other than a console reveal is over, and it's been trending that way for years.

Ummmm.......Beast Souls?????? If it didn't leak.

I'd probably give the show a C+. I give them credit for showing entirely games and not padding the show, but the vast majority of them just do not interest me a whole lot. A few of the ones that did got CG trailers and are seemingly a ways off. It was a lot of the "Xbox favorites" that they show just about every year, plus a lot of multiplatform games. As someone who hasn't gotten either an Xbox One or PS4 yet, they didn't do anything to make me think twice about getting a PS4 first.

Sunset Overdrive looks really good. I'm intrigued by the Limbo successor ("Inside"? I think that was the name). Some of the indie games mixed in there looked good. But that was it as far as tangible games that really caught my attention that I can't get anywhere else, and none of those games are ones I can't wait for or anything.

I went into E3 in no real hurry to get an Xbox One, and this show didn't change that for me. Truthfully, I'm not in a big hurry to get a PS4 either. Hopefully Sony has more interesting exclusives to show off tonight.

-Lots of 3rd party
-Too much focus on "Look! We get DLC first" but at the end of the day (month) everyone else gets it
-Tons of titles we already knew about
-CG, CG, CGGGGGGGGG
-"Here is Halo, just as it was, untouched. but you can make it updated as well!"

It's been 10 years. I guess some people would like that, and great for them, but after HUNDREDS of hours spent on Halo 2, I'm past it. I wish they showed just a smidge of gameplay from Halo 5.

+But I enjoyed the pacing.
+No fluff about sales (probably because it would be stupid as fuck to talk about sales right now)
+Separated what is 2014, and what is future which tempered expectations

I think NtKrnl ruined this conference for MS. We knew of their surprises since...early this year.

We expected MS to go blank check writing but outside of "DLC FIRST!" nothing.

Gamespot made it seem as if there was someone major happening with exclusive, but ...hmmm..

And I dunno. Not excited.

Good that theres some games coming out this year but..i'll wait for 2015-2016.

Top Bottom