• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

VeeP

How much game play footage did we get?

Sunset Overdrive, Halo, Inside, Forza, Fable, Dead Rising, Assassins Creed, CoD, etc. Plenty of gameplay footage. Other games probably needed more time in the oven, but for games coming out this year and some next year, we received good footage.

The conference was decent but not mindblowing. It's a bit strange that the most exciting news for me personally was the announcement of the HALO remakes. Also liked the indies like Inside and Ori.

Jito

Banned
Does anyone have a link to a download of the conference? All the ones on youtube have people talking over them .

Kimawolf

Very... Average. Was only wowed by Fable and that's cause I love the series. No huge exclusive games but lots of "early DLC".

I hope Sony and Nintendo fare better.

Trogdor1123

You know how I know it wasn't that amazing of a conference? Neogaf hasn't crashed. It was ok, nothing special though. Thats not a bad thing though, certainly a good step in the right direction.

RIP Kinect, wow, nothing.

Dance Central, Fantasia, and then they showed one of the ID@Xbox games which uses your body as a platformer... I forget the name. Otherwise, Kinect had basically nothing. Not upset by it

I had a job interview during the MS conference, what did I miss?

Solid conference, lots of multiplats, only a handful of exclusives, a lot of CG, no major megaton announcement but forecast a solid lineup of releases for the remainder of 2014, and then some big franchises in the future. Crackdown making a return as a 2015+ game.

So, can we all agree at this point that ntkrnl wasn't a controlled leak?

I mean its pretty obvious to most people, but he announced the E3 conference 5 months early... who would deliberately leak that?

GameSeeker

RE: CG

Again, this is the new normal. Games have two to three year development cycles now. A typical, on-schedule game gets announced at an E3 with a CG trailer, shows playable gameplay the next E3, and then releases in the year after that. Some games are announced later than others. Some are sequels and build on tech more iteratively and so get up and running faster. Some games are announced 5 years in advance.

But the STANDARD now for non-annualized titles is two E3 appearances, one as a teaser or CG trailer or totally faked gameplay and one with somewhat more real gameplay.

So what you saw was gameplay for games that will be coming out in the next year (Sunset Overdrive, Fable Legends possibly--but at least the beta in the next year, CoD annualized game) and CG for games coming out 2015-2016. That's the pattern with Sunset Overdrive. That's the pattern with The Order 1886. That's the pattern with most games. You're seeing CG trailers for Crackdown and Platinum for that reason. I would expect the same thing with most other publishers going forward.

The Order: 1886 E3 2013 trailer was "created in-engine". The final game will look even better than the 2013 trailer. That will most likely not be true of the CGI games Microsoft showed us today.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
At long last, Microsoft is finally moving in the right direction when you combine this conference with the last three months of 180's.

The Xbox One is a viable competitor now to the PS4. You couldn't say that half a year ago.

That Fable game looked incredibly bland. I had to ask myself if I just wasn't subconsciously being a fanboy (as I don't currently own an XB1) and would be more excited for it if I did have one.

But no, I think that game looks incredibly uninspired. It had some cool looking environments, but I can't even imagine ever wanting to play Fable with 3 other people online. Might be a kneejerk "get your multiplayer out of my single" reaction, though.

Congratulations, Microsoft. I thought I would never buy an Xbox One, really. But you convinced me. Of course you have absolutely no games I want right now, but when a few of those games come out (Phantom Dust, Crackdown, Scalebound) I'll grab one.

Also if you make a white slim, I'm in ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hope not. The format was awful.
Showing all CG back to back is boring.
They need to break it up by making the conference like a talk show, summarize what you shown, and introduce the devs so they can talk more about it. Not introducing the devs, playing a CG, snoozefest, repeat like MS format.
And no #hashtag movements please.
I rather see sale numbers and charts instead of #Favoritegame mini-clips.
I agree with most of this. I wouldn't worry too much about Sony's show.

BumRush

Pretty meh I guess...7 / 10

Excited for more Platinum but CG isn't enough to get overly hyped. Nothing else blew me away except the Halo Box which is A LOOOOTTTTT of content in one regularly priced game.

Lionheart

I think the show would of been better if they announced things like the $399 price drop and the game announcements today. I was under the impression that the reason for the early reveals was to give the show more space for games. Well, what new games? Most of what they showed we already knew about or are multiplatform. I understand the focus on games, they forced themselves into that position, but there's nothing wrong at all at announcing a price drop and what's upcoming for the Xbox OS and Live. Like how it use to be..
True. I don't like talk about entertainment features or series or Kinect or so, but actually exciting hardware / SKU / OS news is what I do like to hear about at a conference. Games games games is cool, but I like some of the other stuff as well, for pacing sake and to blow the audience away afterwards with a cool game. Just showing trailer after trailer without much backstore or a cool introduction doesn't do it for me. I liked Phil's opening though, very humble. Then again, at the end he seemed to repeat it again in different words. Felt a tad forced or I remember wrong.

Also, I hope both MS and Sony stop the 1080p / 60pfs stuff just to get a cheer from the audience... If it's that important, make them both default in many more games and sacrifice other stuff. If not, stop cheering about the few games that do both OR make no secret of the resolution / framerate for other games either.

Highlights:

Dead Rising 3 XBox Live content
Crackdown 3
Halo Master Chief Collection all for $60
Phantom Dust making a return
Forza Nürburgring track exact replica, free
Dragon Age Inquisition
Inside (from makers of Limbo)
Hundreds of Indie games
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 2
Project Spark
Evolve
The Witcher III
No fluff or charts

Meh,

Platinum Games game CGI trailer
Assassins Creed Unity
Tomb Raider trailer CGI

Low Points,

Fable Legends
Kinect games (they have basically proven Kinect isn't very good for gaming)

Even though there was a lot of highlights I'd still rate the show about a 7 because as I said before without the huge announcements it just isn't that memorable to me. Plus there really isn't a hell of a lot of XBox One only games that have me really excited. Some are also on the PC and some are also on other systems. The whole thing with Kinect other than using it to navigate around is kind of worthless. There just doesn't seem to be much interest in it anymore.

shows pacing was great. best i ve seen at e3s.

content wise they failed to sell me the exclusive stuff. insomniac game looks ace though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
At least they weren't trying to palm it off as gameplay, but yeah, I really dislike CGI. I don't get why they'd waste resources doing it, just put those clearly talented artists to work on the game assets.
They don't waste resources on CGI because 95% of the time the CGI trailer is made by a completely different animation studio. Most often, Blur Studio.
http://vz3.blur.com/work

Syrus

Banned
I think the halo announcements were badass and people will.love that. They focused on games and games only.whether multiplat or not. They showed they are dedicated to gaming now and that's what was needed as well

Forza Horizon 2, Halo Collection and Sunset Overdrive the exclusives alone that are making my wallet cry! Great conference.

It may not have the power of the ps4 but these games are making this year fantastic!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone else notice how 'dedicated servers' replaced all mentions of cloud? :p

Yep. All that talk last year that cloud is so much more than dedicated servers, improves graphics and it's like having 40,000 Xboxes, not a peep this year. Surprising for them to abandon both that and Kinect altogether.

The sleeper megaton is the announcement of one of the greatest games ever. Phantom Dust!

I can't wait for you people who are ignorant of this game to become fellow espers.

It really was an amazing game.

I am intrigued by why so many people think that MS hit it out of the park on this E3. Yes there were some interesting titles but in all honestly a lot of multi plats and waiting for games to come out.

Top Bottom