• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

It wasn't that exciting to me. They showed a pretty grey and brown mass of games, Sony did a better job in that regard. The opinions seem to be splitted too between EU and US - EU found it boring mostly (most people I know), people on here and GTTV (ok, those have been bribed) rave about it.

You know most of Europe?

Fair enough you didn't enjoy it but it wasn't a "grey and brown mass of games".

I thought the MS show was great. What I don't find great is all the fanboy-ness. Yes, MS showed multiplatform games and CG trailers. So did Sony. MS showed a bunch of new games that have me very excited. The multiplatform games Sony showed look great too. It's a great time to be an Xbox One owner, OR a PS4 owner. Both have great looking new games, and multiplatforms look better than ever, even on Xbox One. (coming from a non-PC guy)

What really pisses me off is the constant leaks. Don't get me wrong, I'm all over them, as much as you all, but like 99% of MS's show was leaked. I think if they would have spent an extra 3 minutes in the beginning revealing the price cut, and then dropped the Halo/Platinum/Crackdown/FH2 games that were all leaked, (and kept up the gamesgamesgames motto) it would have gone down as one of the best in history.

It wasn't that exciting to me. They showed a pretty grey and brown mass of games, Sony did a better job in that regard. The opinions seem to be splitted too between EU and US - EU found it boring mostly (most people I know), people on here and GTTV (ok, those have been bribed) rave about it.

wait, I'm from Spain and I liked almost all the games (except CoD, AC and The Division), you might think Spain is in the US then

Delryk

All i wanted was news on D4...... im still crying...

Lots of goodies goodies coming up on X1 thatll kick serious butt though!

... it was a BETA.

I know and I did provide feedback on them. I really want to love the game, however the framterate was terrible, so I was unable to feedback more on the actual game itself which is a shame.

I would expect some technical issues in a beta phase, however a totally unplayable frame rate (and I mean awful) is not something I can persist with, which is a shame.

I may fire it back up and see if things have improved.

Any thoughts of a fall bundle? I'm sure they'll have one with halo or maybe SO?

I'm debating this fall or waiting for a possible "slim" version. Maybe that's out next year?

Marleyman

Banned
I thought the MS show was great. What I don't find great is all the fanboy-ness. Yes, MS showed multiplatform games and CG trailers. So did Sony. MS showed a bunch of new games that have me very excited. The multiplatform games Sony showed look great too. It's a great time to be an Xbox One owner, OR a PS4 owner. Both have great looking new games, and multiplatforms look better than ever, even on Xbox One. (coming from a non-PC guy)

What really pisses me off is the constant leaks. Don't get me wrong, I'm all over them, as much as you all, but like 99% of MS's show was leaked. I think if they would have spent an extra 3 minutes in the beginning revealing the price cut, and then dropped the Halo/Platinum/Crackdown/FH2 games that were all leaked, (and kept up the gamesgamesgames motto) it would have gone down as one of the best in history.

By the way this thread was going yesterday you could have sworn that MS were the first company to ever show CG trailers. It was mind numbing to read the criticisms.

DEADEVIL

The Halo collection is f-ing priceless for Xbox ONE. It’s hands down going to be the must have title for all the true hardcore Xbox fans, whether they own a ONE yet or not.
I thought they gave the perfect love for the two exclusives fall exclusive. Forza Horizon 2 was a win and the Sunset pre-coverage and the E3 gameplay now has put the game officially on the X1 fan radar as a contender.

A next gen Crackdown was in my top 3 ‘fantasy’ wishes for the Xbox One launch and to see Phil fulfill the promise of not only finding the true ‘right team’ they ended the show with it. Kudos.

Holy sh-t my sleeper was ‘Inside’ and I now Phil has me looking for that Limbo t-shirt. Thought the Dead Rising 3 Capcom DLC was also crazily slept on. Someone should have come out and just gave a nod to how cool that is.

I thought it was wise to give love to COD early and loved the multi –showings fron Dragon Age & Evolve.

It’s interesting to see any criticism that the MS conference didn’t have the so called variety in games when you saw all the big boys (Fable Legends etc.) to include new exclusive IPS like Plat’s Scalebound, while games like Project spark, Fantasia, Ori & the blind forest, etc.

Solid show that personal gaming preferences aside, easily can be argued had the best pacing of the big two.

Phil we salute you!

Look forward to the rest of the years’ conferences.

Edit

Holy sh-t,

Didn't know he was still doing these. Matt Less is hilarious.

Espi

Banned
For the lazy - you should keep an eye on this sites today:

Twitch.tv Live
12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)

Probably Halo: TMCC and Forza Horizon 2?

IGN Live
11:00am - Sunset Overdrive
11:20am - Fable Legends
11:40am - Killer Instinct Season 2

Gamespot Live
12.40pm - Sunset Overdrive
03.40pm - Killer Instinct Season 2

what time zone is this, pst?

Bsigg12

Was really underwhelmed, especially because they did nothing to convince people to buy it over the PS4 after what Sony had at their conference

Did Sony really do all that much better? For 2014, they're pretty much the same. They both have a remake, though The Master Chief Collection completely ruins TLOUR, they both have a racing game and they both have a cartoonish looking game though Sunset Overdrive and LBP3 are anything but close. All the 3rd party stuff is coming to both consoles so those are a wwash

Nori Chan

For the lazy - you should keep an eye on this sites today:

Twitch.tv Live
12:20pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)
12:40pm – Microsoft Studios (Unannounced title)

Probably Halo: TMCC and Forza Horizon 2?

IGN Live
11:00am - Sunset Overdrive
11:20am - Fable Legends
11:40am - Killer Instinct Season 2

Gamespot Live
12.40pm - Sunset Overdrive
03.40pm - Killer Instinct Season 2
Im guessing these are all pst

Hawk269

Now that the conference is over and I've had a chance to take everything in, I'm not upset about Halo 5 and Gears of War not being shown. Talk about 2 huge IP's that MS can promote heavily on down the road. I'm cautiously optimistic. At the very least, it looks like we have a few games to tide us over in 2014, and 2015 doesn't look at all anemic.

I really liked the conference, but if there was one thing I would of changed/added was to put a trailer for Halo 5 at the end of the show. Outside of that, I thought they were pretty spot on with what they showed. We got some good games to close out the year, a good sneak at next years titles (would of been nice to show some Quantum Break) etc.

Did Sony really do all that much better? For 2014, they're pretty much the same. They both have a remake, though The Master Chief Collection completely ruins TLOUR, they both have a racing game and they both have a cartoonish looking game though Sunset Overdrive and LBP3 are anything but close. All the 3rd party stuff is coming to both consoles so those are a wwash

That's my point, they both are at the same level in terms of future outlook. Sony wants to maintain that outlook, MS needed to dramatically change that

blakep267

I really liked the conference, but if there was one thing I would of changed/added was to put a trailer for Halo 5 at the end of the show. Outside of that, I thought they were pretty spot on with what they showed. We got some good games to close out the year, a good sneak at next years titles (would of been nice to show some Quantum Break) etc.
Yeah. I think they needed 1 more game. I kinda think that they could've had the Sam lake thing at e3. And then say see ya at gamescom.

harSon

Banned
I still have a feeling that Phil is spacing out his announcements. In the past, especially last year, Microsoft has basically conceded Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show to Sony, and with Microsoft needing to better compete outside of North America and the UK - actually hosting a legitimate conference at at least one of the two events seems like something that Phil Spencer is likely to do. That, or possibly bring back the X0 event.

They pushed back Quantum Break's blow out to Gamescom. We've yet to see anything from Lift London. The same is true for Rare (although the fact that they were mismanaged to the point where they don't have another title in the pipeline is a legitimate possibility). Press Play's major project after Max is unknown as well. The one constant, they're all European developers. Actually, outside of Fable Legends, and the tidbits we know about Quantum Break, we don't know too much about Microsoft's European plans in general.

I really liked the conference but a quick halo 5 gameplay teaser or a one more thing moment at the end of the conference where they announce a new IP (eden falls) or rare revival would have put it in the amazing category

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still have a feeling that Phil is spacing out his announcements. In the past, especially last year, Microsoft has basically conceded Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show to Sony, and with Microsoft needing to better compete outside of North America and the UK - actually hosting a legitimate conference at at least one of the two events seems like something that Phil Spencer is likely to do. That, or possibly bring back the X0 event.

They pushed back Quantum Break's blow out to Gamescom. We've yet to see anything from Lift London. The same is true for Rare (although the fact that they were mismanaged to the point where they don't have another title in the pipeline is a legitimate possibility). Press Play's major project after Max is unknown as well. Actually, outside of Fable Legends, and the tidbits we know about Quantum Break, we don't know too much about Microsoft's European plans in general.

can't forget about LXP!

They pushed back Quantum Break's blow out to Gamescom. We've yet to see anything from Lift London. The same is true for Rare (although the fact that they were mismanaged to the point where they don't have another title in the pipeline is a legitimate possibility). Press Play's major project after Max is unknown as well. Actually, outside of Fable Legends, and the tidbits we know about Quantum Break, we don't know too much about Microsoft's European plans in general.
Press Play has Project Totem releasing in October, but it's a small team working on it AFAIK. We also don't know what Twisted Pixel is working on, and we still have the new zombie game from State of Decay to look forward to. There's some good stuff they are saving for next year/different reveals

I know it's not what people want, but they also have Fantasia and Dance Central Spotlight. Halo 5 and Fable Legends betas are coming as well. Ori is also an exclusive for 2014.

That's my point, they both are at the same level in terms of future outlook. Sony wants to maintain that outlook, MS needed to dramatically change that

If we are in agreement that Sony and Microsoft are at the same level in regards to future outlook, that is a step in the right direction for MS if you look at a timeline from last E3 to the current E3. Even what I knew from the leaks, I'm still impressed and alot of what they spotlighted will be available before next E3.

DEADEVIL

They pushed back Quantum Break's blow out to Gamescom. We've yet to see anything from Lift London. The same is true for Rare (although the fact that they were mismanaged to the point where they don't have another title in the pipeline is a legitimate possibility). Press Play's major project after Max is unknown as well. The one constant, they're all European developers. Actually, outside of Fable Legends, and the tidbits we know about Quantum Break, we don't know too much about Microsoft's European plans in general.

This sounds plausible and I hope it's true.

I think it's safe to say that a blow out Quantum Break trailer at the end of E3 would have been welcome from fans and what we are all used to from MS.

But, the cool thing is MS leaked it QB plans ahead of E3 and got the game being talked about as much as anything that made the floor yesterday.

In hindsight the leaks were a smart move from MS.

If Gamescom and Tokyo gives us really good content and more exclusives then Phil really managed this year perfectly.

Hawk269

Yeah. I think they needed 1 more game. I kinda think that they could've had the Sam lake thing at e3. And then say see ya at gamescom.

I agree. I did like that Phil stayed the course though. People in the PS4 thread were going ape shit over a White Destiny bundle, which I think looks very cool myself. Imagine if they saved the $399.99 Xbox One for the conference? But because Phil had a focus, I admire him for staying that course. One more game would of done it and it is not like they did not have it. If Halo 5 is next year, they could of easily put something together or they could of used Quantum Break. But in the end, it was still a great conference and he kept to his word that it was all about games and games.

HINN

Banned
Conference was solid, but when are the table games like spades and dominoes returning. Someone needs to get on that asap. Games like that made a camera on the 360 a must and helped increase the install base by adding chicks. We need more females on xbox live asap

harSon

Banned
This sounds plausible and I hope it's true.

I think it's safe to say that a blow out Quantum Break trailer at the end of E3 would have been welcome from fans and what we are all used to from MS.

But, the cool thing is MS leaked it QB plans ahead of E3 and got the game being talked about as much as anything that made the floor yesterday.

In hindsight the leaks were a smart move from MS.

If Gamescom and Tokyo gives us really good content and more exclusives then Phil really managed this year perfectly.

He also said he had to omit some games/announcements because there was so much content to choose from, making it difficult to squeeze into a 90 minute event. I think a decent Gamescom presence is a lock. I'm not too sure about TGS, especially considering they've already blown the lid on Platinum's project... unless they did so with the intention to show gameplay at TGS. Also, TGS is 2 weeks after the launch of the XB1 in Japan. Although we've yet to see Makoto Asada's 3 XB1 projects.

shanew21

I feel Microsoft showed things that are too far off. Crackdown, Platinum Games New IP and Phantom Dust didn't even have a basic 2015 date in their trailers. I am guessing those games are 2016. At least Sony has BloodBourne as a 2015 spring release. Uncharted 4 slated for 2015 and Ratchet and Clank slated for 2015 with the movie. I like that both LittleBigPlanet 3 and Forza Horizon 2 got announced and releasing in the same year.

They already have Quantum Break and Halo 5 at the very minimum for 2015. I'd bet 1 or 3 of those 2 you mentioned are also 2015.

I just watched the conference because I was unable to watch it yesterday, and I am actually quite impressed. It was refreshing to see 90 minutes of JUST games. Not all of them piqued my interest, but it made the conference a lot more enjoyable than usual.

That being said, I wish they would have devoted more time to new IPs instead of Halo and CoD, among other titles that we knew would be there. What they showed was cool, but it felt as though they played it safe.

Overall, it was a vast improvement over last year, so good on you, Microsoft.

Top Bottom